MAC Indulge Collection (August 22, 2013)

pinkpaint

I hear you. I'm not a fan of clutter and having too much of something greatly diminishes my enjoyment of it. I have a carefully organized single drawer of makeup and an acrylic case that hold all of my nail polish. I'm more than a little anal; my polishes are numbered (to match my colour wheels), organized by colour and carefully documented in an Excel spreadsheet. There's no room left in the case so I'm done collecting. If a new one is coming in, I will let another one go. I'm now at that point with makeup as well. I went crazy on blush last year and went from 2 to about 20. While I enjoy what I have, I have to admit that the slight differences in colour/finish are often not particularly apparent because I apply blush with such a light hand. So unless a new colour gets invented or a gorgeous powder is released that I just can't resist, I'm done with that category. I seriously doubt that I'll hit pan on any of them (although I have dips in Deep Throat and Douceur).

I recently made a group of my daughter's friends happy by pruning my makeup and nail polish collections. My daughter took pics and put them on one of her Facebook groups; it was like feeding time at a shark tank. I'm happier when I have a collection that's just the right size for me and I'm happy to have found good homes for what I wasn't using. I can't be bothered trying to sell my mistakes; the cost is sunk so passing it on is a win for everyone.
I'm the same way with blush. I basically have one of each color (pink, peach, coral, orange, etc.) so now every other blush I see seems too similar to something I already have. Sure there might be a subtle difference but it's not enough for me to care lol. And since Nars blushes are basically $30 now I feel like I need to use the ones I buy.

miss0annette

I just simply can't afford to buy loads of makeup or BUs. I try to have some self control and only buy what I will actually use. I figure there will always be something new that comes along :)

lyseD

I just simply can't afford to buy loads of makeup or BUs. I try to have some self control and only buy what I will actually use. I figure there will always be something new that comes along
smiles.gif
You're right about that. I have really cut down this year -- my first eyeshadow was in April, my first lipstick in May. I am trying to enjoy all the MAC I already have. I am getting a lipstick and shadow from Indulge.
th_DANCE.gif

Prettypackages

Smash Hit is a repromote - you can compare them at Temptalia in her swatch gallery. I bet it's sheerer, but I don't actually own either of them. I remember not buying Smash Hit when it first came out because i was getting Liquid Lurex, which was similar but more complex. I'll probably grab SH this time, though, since I'm getting a little low on Liquid Lurex and don't have a BU. It's going to look really cool with that pale beige gold lip glass over it.

I hope you're feeling relaxed now, at least
girlhaha.gif

I definitely have to force myself to use the things I buy - if I've bought it, I'm darn well going to crack it open and get some use out of it. But, there were plenty of nice products, especially lipsticks, that haven't gotten the love they deserve. I'm only starting to wear Boyfriend Stealer more lately and Ronnie Red has been seriously neglected lately too.

One thing I jut don't let myself do is switch around to a lot of other brands. MAC's prices have gone up, but I still think they've got the best style to tech to price ratio of the higher end brands, so even when I see something in another line I like (like those adorable Dior shadow palettes with the stars) I just say NO to myself.

One thing I'm not going to allow myself are the shadows if they're too shimmery, because I think we will see these colors in other formulas - there are a few of the new pressed pigments that are similar and by the time holiday rolls around, there will probably be more extra dimension shadows and who knows what else.
good tips!! I bet I'd have even more dupes if I bought everything I thought I wanted in other brands. Maybe if I got my bought out of bed in the AM, and put my MU on at home, I'd get more use out of stuff. LOL

Prettypackages

That sound gorgeous.
I'm worried the gold will be like the pink from glamour daze which was so chunky that I never really wore it.
Hey don't worry if its, Nars has a gold eyeliner coming out and it looks pretty smooth. I just have to be honest and ask myself I'm going to actually wear a gold liner.

cr8zy4MAC

Here is a hot tip for any of you out there who like MakeUpForEver and Urban Decay liners. The Sephora brand has a ton of new colors (and a new formulation - waterproof, etc.) that are dupes for a lot of the colors from both lines. They also have the same feel when applying. I'll put a picture down below so you can see what I'm talking about.

The top liner is MUFE #19, costing $19.00
The bottom liner is Sephora #08 (Sun Tan), costing $9.00

There are a whole lot more dupes.

liba

good tips!! I bet I'd have even more dupes if I bought everything I thought I wanted in other brands. Maybe if I got my bought out of bed in the AM, and put my MU on at home, I'd get more use out of stuff. LOL
You can still get use of all your things on the go. Every week or few days, I find myself relaxing in front of my makeup, putting together a little purse sized kit with a look in it - a blush or MSF, a lipstick, a gloss or balm, maybe an eye pencil or shadow or two. Then that's my makeup on the go for the next few days! Rinse and repeat! A lot of times, I'll be planning out a makeup look for the next day in my mind, the night before and if I have some sort of special occasion coming up, I will seriously do a few test runs to get the perfect look, days in advance.

I want to use all my makeup, so I've got to do little tricks like these so I don't fall in a rut or do some weirdo looking thing at the last minute trying to slap something together, but it's fun and relaxing too! I'm the sort of person that if I don't plan stuff like my makeup or clothes in advance, I could totally lose track of time trying all sorts of things out at the last minute and be late to everything, which I can't allow, haha!
girl_devil.gif

Naughtyp

You can still get use of all your things on the go. Every week or few days, I find myself relaxing in front of my makeup, putting together a little purse sized kit with a look in it - a blush or MSF, a lipstick, a gloss or balm, maybe an eye pencil or shadow or two. Then that's my makeup on the go for the next few days! Rinse and repeat! A lot of times, I'll be planning out a makeup look for the next day in my mind, the night before and if I have some sort of special occasion coming up, I will seriously do a few test runs to get the perfect look, days in advance. I want to use all my makeup, so I've got to do little tricks like these so I don't fall in a rut or do some weirdo looking thing at the last minute trying to slap something together, but it's fun and relaxing too! I'm the sort of person that if I don't plan stuff like my makeup or clothes in advance, I could totally lose track of time trying all sorts of things out at the last minute and be late to everything, which I can't allow, haha! :whip:
I need to do this more often! I'm starting tomorrow cuz I basically just did this for my all my untried nail polishes lol!!! ( around 200?) I have a small lipstick holder and every few weeks I pick out different colors that need to get used. Right now I have my watermelon shades, oranges and purples. I see I need to use Heroine, Sweet n Sour and Party Parrot more this next week!! I'm going to toss matching lipglosses in my bag for touch ups. I try to plan in advance for as much as I can, but I'm still always late! And I mean ALWAYS :( I have the next three days to go thru my stash, so hopefully I won be stuck on Specktra all day every day lol.

Prettypackages

You can still get use of all your things on the go. Every week or few days, I find myself relaxing in front of my makeup, putting together a little purse sized kit with a look in it - a blush or MSF, a lipstick, a gloss or balm, maybe an eye pencil or shadow or two. Then that's my makeup on the go for the next few days! Rinse and repeat! A lot of times, I'll be planning out a makeup look for the next day in my mind, the night before and if I have some sort of special occasion coming up, I will seriously do a few test runs to get the perfect look, days in advance.

I want to use all my makeup, so I've got to do little tricks like these so I don't fall in a rut or do some weirdo looking thing at the last minute trying to slap something together, but it's fun and relaxing too! I'm the sort of person that if I don't plan stuff like my makeup or clothes in advance, I could totally lose track of time trying all sorts of things out at the last minute and be late to everything, which I can't allow, haha!
girl_devil.gif
this is exactly what I need to do. and practice more.

cr8zy4MAC

girl_devil.gif
Yep, I do the same thing. I used to try a different look every day, but that got to be just too much. Since i will wear a look for 4-5 consecutive days, I can make a few tweaks to it every day, trying to refine the look a little more each time.

Then when I want to add a totally new look to the mix, I'll try it on on my day off. That way I don't have to worry about having to redo a look when I am trying to get my butt out the door and get to work on time.

Michelemu21

Yep, I do the same thing.  I used to try a different look every day, but that got to be just too much.  Since i will wear a look for 4-5 consecutive days, I can make a few tweaks to it every day, trying to refine the look a little more each time.  Then when I want to add a totally new look to the mix, I'll try it on on my day off.  That way I don't have to worry about having to redo a look when I am trying to get my butt out the door and get to work on time.
I have a running list of my inventory and use something different every day. Tomorrow is BE Nude Beach e/s. I will use it on my lids w/ BB long-wear cream e/s in stone and a Shi gold cream e/s as a base. Mac Kid in the crease..blacktrack, bronzer and Ruby Woo l/s.