MAC Interviews & Hiring Process

Wow...this is all quite the exciting info! Well at least I know what to prepare for two years from now. That gives me time to step up my game, yeah? =]

innerbeauty

First time on here and yes many questions answered except pay range--
i was told to wear black and Mac makeup to the interview - I have been in retail off and on for 24 years and held management positions -i modeled when i was young and learned make up appliaction via that and keep up on current trends- so heres what i need to know - what should i wear (suit?) hair up or normal style - pay range and any other tips -i did my homework on the co. I NEED this job have kids and am single again THANKS!!

FacesbyNiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by innerbeauty
First time on here and yes many questions answered except pay range--
i was told to wear black and Mac makeup to the interview - I have been in retail off and on for 24 years and held management positions -i modeled when i was young and learned make up appliaction via that and keep up on current trends- so heres what i need to know - what should i wear (suit?) hair up or normal style - pay range and any other tips -i did my homework on the co. I NEED this job have kids and am single again THANKS!!

Dress as trendy as possible. Your hair, have fun with it. If you know what counter/store you are apply to, check out how they dress. As far as pay rate, it varies from region to region.

Good luck!

sugaxbayb

Im going to apply to our MAC counter in The Bay now that I have my Makeup Artistry certification. Does it matter if I have any retail experience?! I do have 3 months of experience as a Hostess.

Bernadette

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugaxbayb
Im going to apply to our MAC counter in The Bay now that I have my Makeup Artistry certification. Does it matter if I have any retail experience?! I do have 3 months of experience as a Hostess.

From everything I've read and heard retail experience outways any cosmetics experience. I've heard of people that have gone to makeup and cosmetology schools that aren't hired because they have no retail experience.
I think in the end they are looking for and need someone that can sell.

A manager for m.a.c called me and asked me to do a phone interview.. for a 3rd Key Position.. I was like cool, I dont have to waste gas trying to go there.. So what do you think about a "phone interview?" What line of questioning, to expect?

Klava

When I did my group interview the manager said, quote "for those of you who are in cosmetology field I want to emphasize that retail experience is the most important factor that we look at".

Our group interview was fun and I think most of the questions we were asked were already posted here, here are some I can remember:
What's your ideal work environment?
Who is your inspiration in fashion and make up?
How do you set your goals, achieve them and what do you do if you didn't achive them?
How would your friends and coworkers describe you?
What do you think a busy day of a MAC artist looks like?
What's your understanding of customer service?
What would you do if there is a problem between you and your co-worker?
Why MAC artists dress in black?
How do you behave on your first day of work to get to know your team?
This is a mixture of questions from the group and individual interviews. Hopefully it's of help to somebody!

xxluverxx

Why do MAC artists dress black out of curiousity?? I would like to apply for a MAC counter position [within Macy's] so I can gain some experience, do you inquire within MAC itself or Macy's?? For those who work for MAC how was the 2nd interview with the makeup application test part?? Is there a time limit involved to do a look? Basically what were the instructions that were given. Because I was going through the forums and I remember readings posts on how some MAC reps. know diddly squat bout makeup application.
Oh yea and how is the pay, approx. hourly wage??

triccc

You should apply at the MAC counter itself.

Just last week I was a model for a friend of mine applying for MAC.
She had 40 minutes to do a natural, but trendy look on me.
They wanted to see how well she would interact with the customer and wanted her to name products that she was using and what she used them for. (ex. right now I am applying prep+prime face, to even out your skin tone and it helps with your application of foundation blah blah etc)

Gblue

Today I had an interview for a part time position - I am going to be called back for a demo, they just need to arrange the date! EXCITING STUFF!
Anywho~ They asked me (in no particular order...)
What colour would you describe MAC?
What do you like about your current job?
What is your team like in your current job?
What do you dislike about your current job?
Are you comfortable with the MAC dress code?
Do you have to meet targets in your current job and what do you do to meet them?
What do you think the responsibilities are of a counter artist?
How do you feel about applying make-up to customers?

diorgrl

Has anyone had a 1st interview in the last month?? Or has there kind of been a hold from head office....?

BeautyPsycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxluverxx
Why do MAC artists dress black out of curiousity??

I have NO IDEA but my guess would be to let face/makeup get all the attention? I guess.. lol

missmarkers

Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgrl
Has anyone had a 1st interview in the last month?? Or has there kind of been a hold from head office....?

i have one today.

missmarkers

thank you to everyone for this post!
smiles.gif

escada325

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychlocke79
since someone mentioned discrimination i wanted to ask if MAC hires women who cover. i was interested in applying before when i wasn't covering but i have decided to since then and im afraid they won't hire me because of this. but then again isn't that religious discrimination?

anyways if anyone knows, please let me know.

It is discriminating if they did, however, it is a fashion & makeup industry, companies like M.A.C would want their employees to show the work of art they do on themselves & so that women of different colours/shapes/race can relate themselves to a M.A.C employee of similarity and seek inspiration of different looks that may suit them too, it's basically all about women making other women look & feel good, and being covered up won't show your customers your skill & beauty, I'm of pacific island descent, I have dark olive skin, when I go into our M.A.C store there's no brown or dark skinned girls working there, I look on YouTube for videos of girls of different colour, get the products I need and try it on myself, you see why it's it's a good thing to not be covered?? If you have to stay covered for culture or religious reasons, how about trying Mobile work? starting your own business doing home-call work? weddings?? .. hope this helps with your question .. good luck

amoona

Quote:
Originally Posted by escada325
It is discriminating if they did, however, it is a fashion & makeup industry, companies like M.A.C would want their employees to show the work of art they do on themselves & so that women of different colours/shapes/race can relate themselves to a M.A.C employee of similarity and seek inspiration of different looks that may suit them too, it's basically all about women making other women look & feel good, and being covered up won't show your customers your skill & beauty, I'm of pacific island descent, I have dark olive skin, when I go into our M.A.C store there's no brown or dark skinned girls working there, I look on YouTube for videos of girls of different colour, get the products I need and try it on myself, you see why it's it's a good thing to not be covered?? If you have to stay covered for culture or religious reasons, how about trying Mobile work? starting your own business doing home-call work? weddings?? .. hope this helps with your question .. good luck

Actually I've met many girls who work for MAC who cover their hair throughout the country. You saying that it's not a good thing for her to be covered is like me saying you shouldn't work for MAC because you have dark olive skin. It's a part of who she is and I've never met any manager at MAC who would use that against her or anyone.

jennlovesmakeup

Re: What happens at a MAC interview...

I have had a few experiences interviewing with MAC. I initially interviewed for a counter a few years ago, I had a phone interview, an in-person interview, then I had to bring in a model for a demo. In the end I was offered a freelance position. I recently had an interview for a position at a local MAC store, I interviewed with the retail manager and her assistant, I got a call back a couple days later to come in for a 2nd interview, and a demo a few days later. I was told "Wear as much 'MAC Black' as possible, and my makeup was fine" I got down with some bright eyes and kept everything else clean. As far as questions go, I was asked about sales goals, being on time, what do I know about mac, everything else is just basic interview like everywhere else. *Just a tip: If you have a portfolio bring it, if you don't have one, start making up faces and take some snapshots. I was asked about my book, and a friend of mine had an interview with them at a counter and they asked her if she had a mini portfolio. Good Luck!

astronaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by escada325

I'm usually not this blunt but I have to say this: THAT'S FUCKED UP!

astronaut

Okay, are you thinking about people being covered up everywhere from head to toe except their eyeballs? If she can sell makeup, meet her goals, apply makeup, and give good customer service, then I don't see why not. Some of the guys working there don't wear makeup, so I don't see what would be a problem about that.

Latest posts