MAC Middle Eastern Lipsticks Shade Extension Discussion (Fall 2012)

martiangurll

Chestnut is great. It's in the same color family as Seeds of Desire (and early example of the new brown lip trend), but it's a different finish. Both are hot, but it takes a bit of time to get used to seeing brown-ish lips :)
Glad to hear doo doo lips will be on trend this season. I just dug out Seeds of Desire to wear again and Kraft lippy too. I think I will like to layer a purple lippy like Glamour Daze over Seeds of Desire or this Tabla if I get around to ordering one.

lilinah

Quote: Originally Posted by Mac-Guy
Chestnut is great. It's in the same color family as Seeds of Desire (and early example of the new brown lip trend), but it's a different finish. Both are hot, but it takes a bit of time to get used to seeing brown-ish lips :)

I got Seeds of Desire and Potent Fig (and Fresh Amour) mattenes. Thanks for reminding me, Mac-Guy! Time to pull SoD and PF out for winter wear. Seeds has a plummy tone, which i hope Chestnut doesn't, just for variety's sake. It doesn't seem true brown to me - not a problem, just a comment - i'm happy with SoD. So i'm hoping Chestnut is a true brown.

lilinah

Quote: Originally Posted by martiangurll
I just dug out Seeds of Desire to wear again and Kraft lippy too. I think I will like to layer a purple lippy like Glamour Daze over Seeds of Desire or this Tabla if I get around to ordering one.

I think Glamour Daze lipstick will look great over Seeds of Desire. SoD has a plummy quality, so the two should go well together. I hope you post some before and after pics!

aradhana

i recently watched a video clip where mickey contractor used yash lipstick as a base on eyelids (for folie and other shadows from his collection)...i'd imagine it's a little like using painterly paint pot, except much more creamy! i tried it out and liked the colour, though unfortunately my lids are a bit too oily, so it did eventually crease. it wasn't a horrendous creasing, but i think i'd probably stick with the paint pots or better yet, paints!
maybe for those with drier lids it might be a nice option!

Pinkdollface

Chestnut looks sooooo gorgeous on you Pinkdollface
smiles.gif
Jealous lol...
Thank you! It's a really unique colour in my collection. I still have to get used to it.

ainelson86

Well, Chestnut looks great on you. I am shocked people have not gone apey over Mehr being repromoted...
I am waiting til the new year to try Mehr. I hear from many that it is the perfect pinky nude. Gotta get the holiday stuff out of the way first

Liz2012

Thank you
bouquet.gif

I'm also suprised there isn't much hype around Mehr anymore. I would like to get one, it looks really nice.
iagree.gif
I want to get one as well, checking the website weekly for it but so far indeed nothing
th_dunno.gif
And everytime i visit the store i forget to ask if the SA's know anything about it lol
th_wallbash.gif

Pinkdollface

iagree.gif
I want to get one as well, checking the website weekly for it but so far indeed nothing
th_dunno.gif
And everytime i visit the store i forget to ask if the SA's know anything about it lol
th_wallbash.gif
I also forget to ask the MUA's, but I don't expect them to know it cause it's just a counter. If you hear anything please let me know:)

aradhana

Once an item becomes perm, it's not hot anymore. It's sad, isn't it? :)
true....though it would help if MAC actually made these lipsticks readily available i.e. in ALL their stores at the very least, or ideally the stores AND counters.

Mac-Guy

true....though it would help if MAC actually made these lipsticks readily available i.e. in ALL their stores at the very least, or ideally the stores AND counters.
It's readily available on the website for those who want to order it (US). Is it not available in Canada?

OhSoJaded

True, since it's on the US website, it could be TECHNICALLY considered to be "readily available" but I personally don't consider it to be. Yes, I was really excited to hear that these shades were coming back (Mehr in particular), but I am the kind of person that needs to see a l/s and swatch it on myself before purchasing. Not everyone was around the first time these shades were released and I don't want to rely on online swatches.I COULD buy it and return it if it didn't meet my expectations, but that is a waste of a perfectly good lipstick. I know that I'm not the only person who needs to see things in person in order to make an informed decision, and by only offering these lipsticks at the top 15 stores (and at NO counters), MAC is preventing access for a lot of people. The hype, for me, hasn't died down because it was made permanent, but because I can't find it anywhere
ssad.gif

It's readily available on the website for those who want to order it (US). Is it not available in Canada?

aradhana

True, since it's on the US website, it could be TECHNICALLY considered to be "readily available" but I personally don't consider it to be. Yes, I was really excited to hear that these shades were coming back (Mehr in particular), but I am the kind of person that needs to see a l/s and swatch it on myself before purchasing. Not everyone was around the first time these shades were released and I don't want to rely on online swatches.I COULD buy it and return it if it didn't meet my expectations, but that is a waste of a perfectly good lipstick. I know that I'm not the only person who needs to see things in person in order to make an informed decision, and by only offering these lipsticks at the top 15 stores (and at NO counters), MAC is preventing access for a lot of people. The hype, for me, hasn't died down because it was made permanent, but because I can't find it anywhere
ssad.gif
yeah, i kind of feel the same way, especially for lipsticks. i already have mehr and yash, so i'd be willing to buy those without swatching, but the other two, not really. i do occasionally buy items without swatching first, but i'm still not comfortable doing so, and when i do, the only reason is because with mac, the LE items would almost automatically be a no go otherwise! i find it strange to make something part of the permanent range, yet to only make it available in the top 25 stores. that makes it effectively limited, even if not by quantity, just by limited access.

lilinah

So, how does one find out which are the top (15) (25) MAC stores? It's always possible that there is one near me, or one that i will point be near at some, here in California.

As others have said, i prefer to swatch.

I've had some bad luck with lipsticks i bought when i trusted the descriptions and on-line photos, when the color didn't look like its picture - or looked very different on someone with different coloring than mine.

Also, in the past (i'm especially thinking of the 1970s) lipsticks often changed color while being worn - and this was NOT a feature. There i'd be, excited to get an unusual color, and after 15 min or 1/2 hour it would have become muddy orange-y. Lipsticks haven't changed on me often in the past 15 years or so, but from time to time they still do. For example, Asian Flower, a Sheen Supreme Lipstick, starts out a nice, slightly pinkish lavender - i love the color in the tube - and then it turns soft fuchsia on me after a few minutes and i only rarely intentionally wear fuchsia. I can wear a lavender or violet lip anytime. But i really have to do a whole face to wear fuchsia.

Testing lipsticks is a good thing. One can return mail-ordered MAC, but one has to pay for the postage and insurance, so returns are costly.

aradhana

So, how does one find out which are the top (15) (25) MAC stores? It's always possible that there is one near me, or one that i will point be near at some, here in California.

As others have said, i prefer to swatch.

I've had some bad luck with lipsticks i bought when i trusted the descriptions and on-line photos, when the color didn't look like its picture - or looked very different on someone with different coloring than mine.

Also, in the past (i'm especially thinking of the 1970s) lipsticks often changed color while being worn - and this was NOT a feature. There i'd be, excited to get an unusual color, and after 15 min or 1/2 hour it would have become muddy orange-y. Lipsticks haven't changed on me often in the past 15 years or so, but from time to time they still do. For example, Asian Flower, a Sheen Supreme Lipstick, starts out a nice, slightly pinkish lavender - i love the color in the tube - and then it turns soft fuchsia on me after a few minutes and i only rarely intentionally wear fuchsia. I can wear a lavender or violet lip anytime. But i really have to do a whole face to wear fuchsia.

Testing lipsticks is a good thing. One can return mail-ordered MAC, but one has to pay for the postage and insurance, so returns are costly.
i was wondering the same thing! well, i'm pretty sure my local stores are nowhere near being the top...not even the top 50. they have launch events, but they're usually low-key compared the types of events posted up in these forums....like just make-overs, no drinks or costumes and what-not.

asian flower turns fuschia on me too! i thought maybe it was just my lipcolour that was affecting the colour. i was kinda hoping for a more purpley shade...those sheen supremes were my key fails in terms of buying lispticks online without swatching.

in the end i will probably purchase tablaa and double-shot online eventually....it just makes me grumbly that i can't swatch!

Latest posts