MAC Pressed Pigment Collection Discussion (December 2012)

BuickMackane

the world is not enough, live and let die, on her majesty's.., the spy who loved me and i may also get skyfall and die another day. im sad that there's no octopussy. she is definitely a classic bond girl especially from the roger moore era. i agree with the song i kind of feel like they cheated by adding the bond theme song in the mix.
Whenever i hear this name i inadvertently think of Austin Powers in The Spy Who Shagged Me. Then I spend the rest of the day trying to make the image go away.

o_O. Here we go again...

cocofiere

Are there any opinions on the Lit Cosmetics "Clearly Glitter Base"?

I have only read one review on temptalia.com so far and would like to hear
more thoughts if possible.

TIA!
It's AWESOME! They also have an amazing selection of glitters that come in stackable jars (great for a kit).

kimibos

Whenever i hear this name i inadvertently think of Austin Powers in The Spy Who Shagged Me. Then I spend the rest of the day trying to make the image go away.

o_O. Here we go again...
hhahaha. fellow polish lovers have you seen this. naynadine just showed me the link of the blog at the holiday thread, and by looking around i found this.

http://www.chicprofile.com/2012/08/...ring-2013-collection-sneak-peek-swatches.html

i really want them all!! i love that i can get china glaze at sally's or even transdesign (you have to act fast there, just like in mac's restocks). do you girls have/ are able to get china glaze in germany or the netherlands?? is it cheaper than opi??

Naynadine

Veteran Moderator
Staff member
hhahaha. fellow polish lovers have you seen this. naynadine just showed me the link of the blog at the holiday thread, and by looking around i found this.

http://www.chicprofile.com/2012/08/...ring-2013-collection-sneak-peek-swatches.html

i really want them all!! i love that i can get china glaze at sally's or even transdesign (you have to act fast there, just like in mac's restocks). do you girls have/ are able to get china glaze in germany or the netherlands?? is it cheaper than opi??
We can't really get CG here, some small german websites have them, but they're like twice the price as if you would get them from the US (ebay, Transdesign etc). I buy them mainly on ebay, and sometimes Beautyjoint or Salenail. We have OPI here, but they're 16 Euro a pop. (that's like $20 US!) We can get Essie in drugstores now though.

BuickMackane

Yay! Linear holos! I hope the staying power is better than the OMG collection polishes.

I'm not aware of any physical store that stocks ChG here in NL. There are several online stores though. Sephora and a few other chains sell OPI but the prices are obscene! So I get almost all my nail stuff online. Almost all my ChG, OPI, Zoya and Essie are off eBay. I also get a lot of stuff from Overall Beauty, LLarowe and Ninja Polish (BB Couture, Ozotic, Hits, and the like). Then there some UK-based online stores that stock Jessica, Nails Inc. and stuff… etc…etc…

4 Helmers full of polish have to come from somewhere, right?
blush-anim-cl.gif

My current obsession is Butter London’s Two Fingered Salute. Needless to say it won’t join my Butter London army because it’s a Nordies exclusive. Booo! It will end up on eBay at some point though. Muggins here will part with a lot of cash when that happens.

kimibos

Yay! Linear holos! I hope the staying power is better than the OMG collection polishes.

I'm not aware of any physical store that stocks ChG here in NL. There are several online stores though. Sephora and a few other chains sell OPI but the prices are obscene! So I get almost all my nail stuff online. Almost all my ChG, OPI, Zoya and Essie are off eBay. I also get a lot of stuff from Overall Beauty, LLarowe and Ninja Polish (BB Couture, Ozotic, Hits, and the like). Then there some UK-based online stores that stock Jessica, Nails Inc. and stuff… etc…etc…

4 Helmers full of polish have to come from somewhere, right?
blush-anim-cl.gif

My current obsession is Butter London’s Two Fingered Salute. Needless to say it won’t join my Butter London army because it’s a Nordies exclusive. Booo! It will end up on eBay at some point though. Muggins here will part with a lot of cash when that happens.
i dont have the past holographics but i hope these are better too. i have been wanting to try butter londons and also buy more polishes from illamasqua.

martiangurll

Oooops! You're right :)

But of course Goldfinger would have been better because it had Sean Connery! Do you hear OPI? Sort out your act!

re: Thunderball - that was wishful thinking on my part. teehee.

I wore OHMSS last week. I think I did coats. It's a very complex colour and I enjoyed wearing it but I thought I'd love it even more. I was hoping for more blue in it (I think Zoya's FeiFei has a smidgen more blue). I'm going to layer it over a navy base next time I wear it. I haven't worn the others yet. You have a really nice haul there, I can't blame you for having a hard time choosing.

re: package declaration - when it's a gift you can go up to EUR45. Yay!
Sean Connery WAS James Bond, period.
topclosed.gif

MACina

Yes....I will get these 2 as well + The Living Daylights and Tomorrow Never Dies!

I can not wait....hope to receive them today
pompom.gif

the world is not enough, live and let die, on her majesty's.., the spy who loved me and i may also get skyfall and die another day. im sad that there's no octopussy. she is definitely a classic bond girl especially from the roger moore era. i agree with the song i kind of feel like they cheated by adding the bond theme song in the mix.

MACina

The price for OPI is really
thud.gif
here....I always try to get them on ebay too!
We can't really get CG here, some small german websites have them, but they're like twice the price as if you would get them from the US (ebay, Transdesign etc). I buy them mainly on ebay, and sometimes Beautyjoint or Salenail. We have OPI here, but they're 16 Euro a pop. (that's like $20 US!) We can get Essie in drugstores now though.

BuickMackane

here opi costs like $10 with taxes so its kind of expensive . i like china glaze cause i can find them at like $5 at sallys a beauty supply store. and they usually have buy 2 get one free. in orly too. essie is 7.99 which is expensive to be a pharmacy polish in my opinion. but now that mac is 17 i dont feel bad about getting opi. i dont think i would do my nails if i had to pay like $20 per bottle. thats crazy. that;s why i dont go to nail salons too expensive.
i dont have the past holographics but i hope these are better too. i have been wanting to try butter londons and also buy more polishes from illamasqua.
I have a few from both brands and have been very happy with the quality so far. I also like the fact that they have fairly thin brushes (I have small nail beds).

If you like your blues check out Butter London Victoriana
heart.gif

I love Illamasqua Poke! I know it doesn't get as much love from bloggers as some of its other colours but it's such a beautiful, vibrant purple!

Pinkdollface

Oooops! You're right :)

But of course Goldfinger would have been better because it had Sean Connery! Do you hear OPI? Sort out your act!

re: Thunderball - that was wishful thinking on my part. teehee.

I wore OHMSS last week. I think I did coats. It's a very complex colour and I enjoyed wearing it but I thought I'd love it even more. I was hoping for more blue in it (I think Zoya's FeiFei has a smidgen more blue). I'm going to layer it over a navy base next time I wear it. I haven't worn the others yet. You have a really nice haul there, I can't blame you for having a hard time choosing.

re: package declaration - when it's a gift you can go up to EUR45. Yay!
How many coats of OHMSS did you use? I also expected it to be more blue, but I still like it. It does look very complex and so does TWINE. Trying it over a navy sound like a good plan. Let me know how that works out if you try it:)
Good to know that gift packages up to €45 are free of import duties. I guess next time I will ask if they can mark the package a lower value.

BuickMackane

You picked some nice ones! How do you like them so far? I had been thinking about Skyfall and Die Another Day too, but I decided that TSWLM was the prettiest red type polish in this collection.
How many coats of OHMSS did you use? I also expected it to be more blue, but I still like it. It does look very complex and so does TWINE. Trying it over a navy sound like a good plan. Let me know how that works out if you try it:)
Good to know that gift packages up to €45 are free of import duties. I guess next time I will ask if they can mark the package a lower value.
I used 3 coats. But I think 2 would also be fine if you like working with slightly thicker coats. I read on some nail blogs that it smells awful but I didn't notice anything. I guess I've become desensitised to nail polish fumes. lol.

TWINE is indeed gorgeous! I only did some swatches on a nail wheel but it looked very promising. I was worried it would look too much like Brand New Skates, but it really is quite different.
I skipped the Bond reds because I have a lot of reds already and I don't wear them too often.

Perhaps I should also ask sellers if they'd be willing to mark packages as gifts.

On a slightly unrelated note, if you like your light cool pinks, get Orly's Preamp! It has the most beautiful finish and the colour is unlike any other pinks I have (it has a lot of lavender in it, but it doesn't compare to any of my lavenders either. Swatches don't do it justice. My only gripe with Orly polishes is that they sometimes don't get on well with my trusted Poshe top coat (as do some Zoyas). Shrinkage city!

Pinkdollface

I used 3 coats. But I think 2 would also be fine if you like working with slightly thicker coats. I read on some nail blogs that it smells awful but I didn't notice anything. I guess I've become desensitised to nail polish fumes. lol.

TWINE is indeed gorgeous! I only did some swatches on a nail wheel but it looked very promising. I was worried it would look too much like Brand New Skates, but it really is quite different.
I skipped the Bond reds because I have a lot of reds already and I don't wear them too often.

Perhaps I should also ask sellers if they'd be willing to mark packages as gifts.

On a slightly unrelated note, if you like your light cool pinks, get Orly's Preamp! It has the most beautiful finish and the colour is unlike any other pinks I have (it has a lot of lavender in it, but it doesn't compare to any of my lavenders either. Swatches don't do it justice. My only gripe with Orly polishes is that they sometimes don't get on well with my trusted Poshe top coat (as do some Zoyas). Shrinkage city!
Ok I guess it will work fine then. I don't mind doing 3 layers that much if the colour is pretty. I haven't read anything about the polish smelling bad. Polishes always smell well like polish which isn't that nice of a scent:p
Is Brand New Skates also a OPI polish? I've never heard of it before I think.
I almost always buy the blue, green and just original looking stuff so I don't have a ton of reds yet, although it's growing. For real reds I have Chanel Rouge Carat and OPI Color So Hot It Berns and Thanks So Muchness.
I don't wear light pinks much on my nails and I do already have a lot of other polishes that need some love, but thanks for the tip. If I ever get into light pinks I might give it a try. I do really like lavender and lilacs though. From Orly I only have two colours from the FX collection and one really fine glitter topcoat. I've never had shrinking problems with any polishes and I use Out The Door topcoat.

BuickMackane

Brand New Skates was a polish from OPI's Holiday in Toyland collection from some years back (it was when I had just entered the realm of nail polish madness, so it was probably 2008). I have no idea why I thought TWINE would look like it because BNS is more of a dark silver/light gunmetal with tiny gold shimmer flecks, which makes it warmer than your average silver/gunmetal. And TWINE is waaaaay sparklier.

I haven't tried Out The Door. My HG top coat used to be Nubar's Diamont until they messed with the formula about 3 years ago. Hero to zero. Honestly, it was that bad. They brought back to the old formula since, but I already switched to Poshe. I also had good results with A-England's Shield top coat. It's not as thick as Poshe and it's very easy to work with. Cult Nails' Wicked Fast is also good. I change my nail polish every two days so I need a good quick dry top coat :)

Orly's great! Quality-wise I find Orly more consistent than OPI, ChG and Zoya.

Pinkdollface

Brand New Skates was a polish from OPI's Holiday in Toyland collection from some years back (it was when I had just entered the realm of nail polish madness, so it was probably 2008). I have no idea why I thought TWINE would look like it because BNS is more of a dark silver/light gunmetal with tiny gold shimmer flecks, which makes it warmer than your average silver/gunmetal. And TWINE is waaaaay sparklier.

I haven't tried Out The Door. My HG top coat used to be Nubar's Diamont until they messed with the formula about 3 years ago. Hero to zero. Honestly, it was that bad. They brought back to the old formula since, but I already switched to Poshe. I also had good results with A-England's Shield top coat. It's not as thick as Poshe and it's very easy to work with. Cult Nails' Wicked Fast is also good. I change my nail polish every two days so I need a good quick dry top coat :)

Orly's great! Quality-wise I find Orly more consistent than OPI, ChG and Zoya.
I may order A-England's Shield topcoat, thanks for the tip I've never thought about that one. I was planning on getting some of their new polishes already.

I've always been happy with my OPI polishes actually and I like the colours they have. I can't wait for the Mariah Carey collection and the Central Europe one!

MRV

I may order A-England's Shield topcoat, thanks for the tip I've never thought about that one. I was planning on getting some of their new polishes already.

I've always been happy with my OPI polishes actually and I like the colours they have. I can't wait for the Mariah Carey collection and the Central Europe one!
Thank you for mentioning these.

I am actually wearing On Her Majesty's Secret Service ATM. At first I was not too crazy about it but then I saw the greenish cast in day light. I had to get it anyways as I am on Her Majesty's service (and just prepared a large cup of her Jubilee Tea
lol.gif
). I also got Goldf...eneye (I was thinking of finger, too!). Forgot about the gold fleck top coat though. It seems expensive now :(

Mac is actually one of the cheapest N/Ps here. It's about 13-14 euros. Essie (a new thing here) is 14.90, OPI is more than that, and Orly - to my chock the new glitter polishes are 19.90 euros = about 25 USD here!
icon_eek.gif
I don't even dream about getting them here.

MAChostage

I tried and I tried and I tried but I couldn't get PE to work for me. I tried it on its own and I ended up with crease city. UDPP, Bare Study PP or NYX Milk didn't help with the creasing either. And I found blending to be an absolute nightmare (I know it's a sticky base and it is, by default, going to make blending a tad more difficult but I wasn't expecting it to make it impossible). I so wanted it to work because I have a lot of Fyrinnae loose shadows and most of them need some sort of sticky base to really come alive. Booo!

Back on topic - Jet Couture sounds amazing!!!
eyelove.gif
When it comes to PE, you have to use only the tiniest bit. I normally put a tiny dot on the middle of my lid (a spot a little smaller than the smiley in your quote, above) and then use my finger to pat that around on the rest of the lid. Loose shadows must be then *patted on*, PE isn't conducive to blending (it also states this on the product info). Don't give up on it, play around with it!

martiangurll

When it comes to PE, you have to use only the tiniest bit. I normally put a tiny dot on the middle of my lid (a spot a little smaller than the smiley in your quote, above) and then use my finger to pat that around on the rest of the lid. Loose shadows must be then *patted on*, PE isn't conducive to blending (it also states this on the product info). Don't give up on it, play around with it!
I may have to try Pixie Epoxy again, perhaps I just was using too much. I have to go easy on those dessicating eye glue thingies, they irritate my sensitive lids. If it works, I would love to buy many of these piggies. I was wondering if the N55 one would work as a brown/tan shadow since my actual lids are probably about a NW(negative) 10 or so?