MAC Pricing in Canada Compared to Other Countries

ginger9

I'm not sure if this subject has already been brought up but the Canadian dollar is currently worth more than the US dollar. Yet MAC has not done a thing to balance out the appreciation of the Canadian currency. As of Friday the exchange was approximately $0.96cad/$1usd.

I know it's a big feat for them to over haul the price of everything in case the cad drops back but I at least expected an adjustment with the holiday launch BUT nothing was done!

I am one Canadian that will not be making any purchases in Canada for the next while. I'm better off trying to find a way to make purchases in the US. Do any Canadians feel this way? If so how are you dealing with it?

Marie71

Re: MAC needs to adjust Canadian prices to reflect the Currency!

I couldn't agree with you more. I just sent Mac an email. Hopefully that will help. I will go to the nordstroms in the Alderwood mall even though it is about 2 hours away.

Glow

Don't expect any price changes for about 18 months if it will happen. Retailers aren't set to change the prices to reflect until they're sure it's going to stay this way.

Profit motive + question of effort.

msmack

I also couldn't agree more. It's like book prices, but I don't see them coming down anytime soon, either.
ssad.gif

gigglegirl

I would love to say I won't buy MAC (and other things) in Canada til things reflect a bit more equality/reality, but sadly, I don't want to miss out! Plus I have to factor in the driving cost of going to a MAC store, which according to MAC's site, the closest one to Wpg in the US is in MN, about 6-7 hr drive!! AHHH!

But I hear your frustration, and I even am contemplating one of those package forwarding companies but wonder how reputable/bondable/trustworthy they are. I admit, I'm a skeptic and don't want to get burned! oh i wish I had a friend or family member in the US!!!

EDIT: Just wanted to add--will be trying to buy US cash as much as I can afford to in the next little bit, just in case it bottoms out. that way, when I eventually make the road trip, I'll have US cash i bought at a good rate!

ginger9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigglegirl
EDIT: Just wanted to add--will be trying to buy US cash as much as I can afford to in the next little bit, just in case it bottoms out. that way, when I eventually make the road trip, I'll have US cash i bought at a good rate!

That's a great idea. I've bought some earlier on but I think I'm going to have to buy again. Plus I am definitely going to look into vacationing in the US!

The thing is even before we came close to par. ie. when the Exchange rate was around 1.15cad/us. We still had a premium built into Canadian prices but now imo it's outrageous. The Royal Asset Eye Palettes are 45cad vs 36usd. That's a difference of over 9 dollars with the current exchange factored in! I know I cannot expect completely competitive prices across the country BUT MAC started out as a Canadian company (I know they've been purchased by EL) but they still have a strong base here in Canada, correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't most of the makeup get made and/or packaged/shipped here? It's not like they need to factor in shipping costs and taxes and what not like they have to in Australia or Asia.

It also goes to show you how much they value their Canadian customers... :confused: I DON'T expect them to make it competely even but some concession needs to be considered. Seriously, I know I may be tempted but I am deterred from making further purchases right now.

MaySum

forgive me for being stupid, but why *should* MAC change their prices? I mean MAC is all differnet prices all round the world (just think of the Australian prices!).
Like, here in the UK the exchange rate is about 2:1 (pounds to dollars), yet the prices in the UK are *well* over that - I think e/s for example are around $6 more expensive, while quads are like $20 more expensive etc etc.
Now, much as I would *love* the equivilent to US prices to be implemented all round the world, I dont quite understand why they *should*, maybe they have other expenses in Canada that need to be covered?

also, about the manafacturing, its not all made in Canada, I looked through a selection of my stash and they were made in:
Canada (admittedly, this was the most prominant of the items I picked up)
Indonesia (15 pan pallete)
Italy (the MSFs)
China
USA (the beauty powders and bronzer)

(have just read this back and seen I how argumentative I appear, sorry about that, I dont really mean it, was just interested)

CaraAmericana

note to self:learn exchange rates and the complexity of them so you won't be lost in threads like this!

AppleDiva

Well, come to Michigan to shop. We are always looking for extra cash. My mom and I used to go to Windsor to do some shopping i.e. for Caribbean food and seasonings, so we are bummed about the exchange rate too, but what can you do? Oh yeah come to Michigan for all your shopping needs.
clap.gif
clap.gif

aeni

The only store I know doing a price change is Walmart sadly.

jillianjiggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaySum
forgive me for being stupid, but why *should* MAC change their prices? I mean MAC is all differnet prices all round the world (just think of the Australian prices!).
Like, here in the UK the exchange rate is about 2:1 (pounds to dollars), yet the prices in the UK are *well* over that - I think e/s for example are around $6 more expensive, while quads are like $20 more expensive etc etc.
Now, much as I would *love* the equivilent to US prices to be implemented all round the world, I dont quite understand why they *should*, maybe they have other expenses in Canada that need to be covered?

also, about the manafacturing, its not all made in Canada, I looked through a selection of my stash and they were made in:
Italy (the MSFs)
China

(have just read this back and seen I how argumentative I appear, sorry about that, I dont really mean it, was just interested)

exporting to those countries costs a lot more than to canada (heck, MAC is freakin' canadian to begin with!) so for those prices, it's not about the value of the dollar. i'm sure it is a bunch of other things too on top of that.

i too hate how much i have to spend on everything compared to the US. one store i can think of that has adjusted their prices is claires accessories. now the products are within about 25 cents instead of 3+ dollars. so if you like earrings...

like others have said, it's going to take a loooong time before any changes happen. we will just have to think about it the same way we used to - i dont remember many complaining before the dollar increased in value. yeah, it sucks, but you really cant do much about it.

luckily, my boyfriends dad and stepmother live in the states, so i am getting a lot of things shipped to them (MAC that i can live without for a little while, worth the savings of $60 vs $80!) and they are more than happy to ship it to me. i have also been buying from mac livejournal members, and getting CPs.

also, i live about 2 hours away from a US border and could easily go to shop for a weekend!
cheerleader.gif

ginger9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaySum

Italy (the MSFs)
China

That's kind of like saying why should the Gas stations lower the Gas prices in sync with the price of where crude oil is trading. Because consumers have rights and should not be gauged.

I don't know if I want to get into all of it (ie give an education on purchasing power/economics/currency exchange etc) as this is really a makeup forum. But I'll try to clarify this a bit.

Firstly, Canada is just north of the US and we have a Free Trade Treaty between the two countries. Which basically means we don't have the duties nor the import/export regulations that we may have with other countries, not to mention cheaper shipping costs because we are geographically so close.

Secondly, I really wish people would read my posts carefully and not put words in my mouth. I said "most" of MAC's products are made/shipped from Canada. Most does not mean all. And I never said I expect prices to be equal globally but I expected a little adjustment in Canada at least.

Lastly, I can't comment on how the Sterling or Euro has been performing against the US dollar but I do know that the Canadian dollar is very strong right now and due to our Free Trade relationship with the US there really is no reason to keep prices unchanged other than the fact that the companies want to make more off the consumers.

Plainly put, all the Canadian dollar sales Estee Lauder makes will be converted back to US dollar with a significant gain due to the appreciation of the Canadian currency. This is not due to a rise in shipping, production, import costs to MAC. It's purely based on taking advantage of where the currency is. Look at it this way 100 cad dollar used to convert to 88 usd, now 100 cad will get you 104usd. Pretty sweet deal for Estee Lauder dontcha think?

ginger9

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleDiva
Oh yeah come to Michigan for all your shopping needs.
clap.gif
clap.gif

Oh for sure, you know I am totally coming down to shop!
smiles.gif

ginger9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillianjiggs
luckily, my boyfriends dad and stepmother live in the states, so i am getting a lot of things shipped to them (MAC that i can live without for a little while, worth the savings of $60 vs $80!) and they are more than happy to ship it to me. i have also been buying from mac livejournal members, and getting CPs.

also, i live about 2 hours away from a US border and could easily go to shop for a weekend!
cheerleader.gif

Lucky girl.....
cutey.gif

ginger9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaraAmericana
note to self:learn exchange rates and the complexity of them so you won't be lost in threads like this!

HAHA, it's okay girl! I just do this kind of thing for a living that's why
smiles.gif

goink

This topic is in a heated debate. Not to be rude: MAC will not change their price. Retail shops will not change their price to meet with the USD. At least not within one year. I know it sucks, but the economy is more complex than it appears.

ginger9

Quote:
Originally Posted by goink
This topic is in a heated debate. Not to be rude: MAC will not change their price. Retail shops will not change their price to meet with the USD. At least not within one year. I know it sucks, but the economy is more complex than it appears.

You're not being rude
smiles.gif

If retailers will not budge on price. Consumers will find other ways to shop. I have a co-worker who's looking into purchasing a vehicle in the US. Sure, some of us will just accepted it. I on the other hand plan on making a few trips to the US for vacation and shopping. This is the reality of Corporations not budging to keep up with the current global climate, not all consumers will put up with it. As for Corporation and stores that will accomodate such as some book stores matching US pricing or as someone mentioned Walmart slashing prices, they will benefit in the end. Consumers are not blind and ignorant we know what is going on.

Okay rant finished hehe
rofl.gif
time for a Nelly Furtado Maneater dance off
winks.gif

noahlowryfan

its better spending a few dollars more buying it at your country than spend hundreds of dollars for a plane ticket to the US just to buy MAC at a cheaper price.

Glow

Exactly. I may be going on a vacation with my boyfriend in the late spring/early summer - i'll tuck some cash away for then. But by no means am I going to drop more dollars just to truck myself down to the states to save a few dollars.

goink

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger9
You're not being rude
smiles.gif

If retailers will not budge on price. Consumers will find other ways to shop. I have a co-worker who's looking into purchasing a vehicle in the US. Sure, some of us will just accepted it. I on the other hand plan on making a few trips to the US for vacation and shopping. This is the reality of Corporations not budging to keep up with the current global climate, not all consumers will put up with it. As for Corporation and stores that will accomodate such as some book stores matching US pricing or as someone mentioned Walmart slashing prices, they will benefit in the end. Consumers are not blind and ignorant we know what is going on.

Okay rant finished hehe
rofl.gif
time for a Nelly Furtado Maneater dance off
winks.gif

^ITA
Newspapers are teaching Canadian how to purchase textbooks/books at a cheaper USD price. Even with the shipping included, it's still cheaper than in Canada.
The line ups at the borders are longer. People aren't, like you said, ignorant.
My father is looking to purchase a television in States. I bought my laptop from Costco in Washington. Most of my shoes are purchased from States. I even bought Harry Potter when I was across the border.

Gas prices, for a short period, was cheaper due to the strong dollar. However, it's slowly increasing again.

Latest posts