MAC Pricing in Canada Compared to Other Countries

Flammable

Re: MAC needs to adjust Canadian prices to reflect the Currency!

It's March '08 now and the CAD is still roughly equivalent to the USD (CAD is worth a couple cents more as of today), and we really haven't seen any price adjustments have we?

I won't complain about MAC because the the price difference is *relatively* minimal but I was shopping at Banana Republic a couple months ago and realized I was paying $20 more for a sweater here than my counterparts in the US. Being the vocal consumer that I am, I made a point to email their customer service and the lovely people over at BR/GAP emailed me back talking about their production/shipping/customs costs and what not but of course, this does not justify the huge price difference that are obvious at BR & Gap stores just to name a few US-based stores with shops set up across Canada.

I predict that the currency exchange will remain as it is for a while. I doubt the USD will go up anytime soon, maybe in November, around election season in the US, but not before that. C'mon, they are, after all, in an economic recession, no matter how much Bush denies it.

And while the exchange rates are unjust for us Canadian consumers, I don't believe retailers will do much to equalize the scale. I remember the Finance Minister was urging retailers to make price adjustments around Christmas last year so as not to lose their business to across the border cities like Buffalo, but few paid heed and we all saw how that went. Gazillions of Canadians flooding the Buffalo malls and boosting the Buffalo economy by giving them their holiday business.

Kudos to those businesses who did adjust their prices. Too bad they were the minority.

artificial

The problem with adjusting prices based on the currency rate today is that products are generally purchased a year in advance - at least, this is how it is in clothing retail, I'm not sure what the makeup market is like, but I'd imagine similar.
I'm not saying that I agree with the US / CAN pricing difference, but just offering a reason as to why price changes are generally not effected immediately.

Paramnesia

I don't see a change happening here (AUS), even though the AU$ is currently at 0.93 US$ we still pay a fortune for MAC and many other make-up products.

jennzy

ugggh! i so know what you mean!!! i mean little things like this add up!!!
i was in new york in the summer (my first time of being in the states) and bought so many things because it was sooo cheap!!! a pair of citizens at saks was $160+6%tax, in toronto they're like $250+13% tax!

however, coach and Louis Vuitton have adjusted the price.
coach is at par with the american prices, LV goes by the Euroes so apparently it's more expensive to buy in the states.
i feel like all companies should always adjust their pricings. LV does it every 4 months, why can't everyone else?

i dont travel to the states much. actually that time i went in the summer was the first and last time ive been i wish i can go shopping in the states so much cheaper!!! its very frustrating because things are expensive, however, i still shop in canada.

edit to say 13% tax in ontario... i keep on saying 15% lol

Babylard

LOL i sent MAC an e-mail about this some time ago. they never replied. i sent a letter about a product that was sold otu and sure, they replied for that.

it pisses me off how the u.s. holiday palettes are only 36 bucks. god, i'd buy so much if we had u.s. prices.

i once thought the prices lowered and i was loading up my shopping cart until i realized theres a country chooser button at the bottom and my browser was set to US. wow, how sad was i......... i didnt buy a single thing that day...

BlahWah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babylard
i once thought the prices lowered and i was loading up my shopping cart until i realized theres a country chooser button at the bottom and my browser was set to US. wow, how sad was i......... i didnt buy a single thing that day...

th_mad0217.gif
Isn't that the worst?? I got caught up one time too, one of the very few times I thought of ordering online, then realized I'd have to cut my order in half.... ever since then I've been very careful about keeping the MAC site on Canada so I'm never floored like that again...

Paramnesia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babylard

Arg I did that yesturday, I was checking the prices of a small angle brush and it said $23, I was like WTF. I had just spent $25 on a non MAC brush so I was angry, then realised I was on the US site lol.

Meryl

Sephora has lowered some prices by the way. Just recently.
yes.gif

.k.

Is mac cheaper in canada?

Does anyone know? I know its manufactured there and all and i might go visit soon. if anyone can give me heads up that would be great! thanks!
winks.gif

breechan

Re: Is mac cheaper in canada?

Yep, its about 20-30% more in Canada compared to USA, and then add the sales tax which can be up to 13% on top of the price.

So far the cheapest MAC I've bought was in Hong Kong.
graucho.gif

Here in Japan, its very very expensive.
cry.gif

JanineDesiree

its totally not worth buying MAC here in Canada. well, if you can buy in USA. *ha* Now i only wish there was a close MAC store in the states i can get to.

BlahWah

My first reaction when I read the thread title:

Heheh....*ahem* NO.

An unfortunate reality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by breechan
So far the cheapest MAC I've bought was in Hong Kong.
graucho.gif

Really? How much is it there? I'll have to keep that in mind the next time my relatives go over! I always thought it'd be more expensive b/c I heard that foundation is US$50!

Paramnesia

Yeah MAC is cheaper in the US, I hate being so far from the US. Don't get me started on MAC prices here, it angers me.

Sabrunka

Haha yah Canadian prices are higher and it really sucks!! My dad lives in Chicago and I'd ask him to get me stuff there but.. I don't wanna send my poor dad into a make up store, he'd be so confused lol.

blindpassion

Yeah I live in Victoria British Columbia
and we pay waaayyy more then you all in the states do.
Which is messed in the head because our dollar over the past 6 months has been consistantly better then the US dollar.
It's a huge fruseration that they haven't adjusted prices on almost everything, including MAC.
I put off buying big items like powder brushes / kabukhi brushes until I get over to seattle a few times a year
It's like 20 - 30% less there
ssad.gif

Paramnesia

The aussie dollar was at about last time I checked 92 cents in every US dollar, yet we still pay about double.

Simply Elegant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paramnesia
The aussie dollar was at about last time I checked 92 cents in every US dollar, yet we still pay about double.

I feel really bad for you guys because that's ridiculous to pay that much.