MAC Pricing in Canada Compared to Other Countries

JustDivine

Re: Annoyed Canadian and her MAC opinions_price changes?

I think it's annoying but generally the prices are relative to their market. I guess where there is more money, MAC prices will be according to what the economy can handle. As someone from the UK, prices in the USA are ridiculously cheap, but that's because the £ is much stronger than the $ and the strength of the £ means that it just isn't practical or business-wise for MAC to charge the same amount for its products across the world. I guess any business wants to get the most out of wherever it sells.

$14.50 might be a considerable amount for an American to pay. To me it's nothing, but that's because I am used to paying the equivalent of $20 for an eyeshadow.

However, there are some countries where the prices are unjustifiably high and beyond what is natural for the economic landscape....I would say that in Continental Europe that MAC prices are silly, but this may be because there is less competition for MAC in many European countries....

JustDivine

I think its unwise to judge everything by the US standard....think about living costs in your country, earning levels etc....the prices of MAC can't really be taken in abstract and judged in comparison to the US, because the whole context is different so the company is merely pricing according to what is reasonable for that market.

At £10 an eyeshadow, MAC is probably the cheapest "high end" cosmetics brand in the UK.

Paramnesia

I'd rather canadian prices than the prices here... for an eye shadow pot its $32... I'm a uni student too so i definitely cannot afford that.

sonnebutti

I'm from portugal and I currently buy a lot of mac things from ebay... like.. 14 usd (I think that's the price of mac eyeshadows in america) = 8,9€.
and here a mac eyeshadow costs 16,5€ !! that's like 26dollars. really. I loose my mind on ebay.

infernalmachine

a good way to look at pricing is to compare sales tax, income tax, and minimum wage.

canada:
-minimum wage about $8/hr
-income tax for most people = 30% (from 15% to 50% depending on how much u make)
-sales tax in ontario = 13% (until recently it was 15%)

you should compare. i dunno the figures for the US or UK.

cipelica

Girls from Canada, can someone tell me the prices for next MAC products (including taxes):
  • Lip Stick
  • Slimshine
  • Lipglass
  • Mascara
  • Paint pot
  • Pigment
  • Clear Lipglass
  • Powder blush
  • Blot powder/pressed
  • Studio Fix Fluid
[*]Eye Shadow

Boyfriend is traveling from Canada very soon.
Thnx

gigiopolis

You can find the prices in Canadian dollars on the MAC website (just click Country Chooser at the bottom right of the page, and choose Canada). Then when you browse through the products it should give you the Canadian price. As for taxes, it differs from province to province. Where in Canada is your boyfriend traveling from?

cipelica

I am from Europe, from a country that does not have MAC, and on a maccosmetics.com I can see only products, not prices. When I try to sign in, the server tells me that I am not from Canada and USA so I can not log in. Toronto is the please. Please girls, help

gigiopolis

Oh sorry about that. I don't live in Ontario but I believe the sales tax there amounts to 13%. In that case...

Lipstick: $16.50 ($18.65 with tax)
Slimshine: $17.50, ($19.78 with tax)
Lipglass: $16.50, ($18.65 with tax)
Mascara: All are $14.00 ($15.82 with tax) except for Mascara X which is $15.00 ($16.95 with tax)
Paint Pot: $20.00 ($22.60 with tax)
168 brush: $38.50 ($43.51 with tax)
187 brush: $50.50 ($57.07 with tax)
217 brush: $27.00 ($30.51 with tax)
219 brush: $27.50 ($31.08 with tax)
224 brush: $33.50 ($37.86 with tax)
239 brush: $29.50 ($33.34 with tax)
266 brush: $23.00 ($25.99 with tax)
Pigment: $23.50 ($26.56 with tax)
Clear Lipglass: $16.50 ($18.65 with tax)
Powder blush: $21.00 ($23.73 with tax)
Blot powder/pressed: $25.00 ($28.25 with tax)
Studio Fix Fluid: $31.00 ($35.03 with tax)

d-0ne

I'm speaking as a complete noob with no former knowledge of economics .. but I always thought things were cheaper in the US because of buying power?

They have WAY more people in the US compared to CND so maybe thats why prices are lower?

Just a complete guess.

PS. One thing I do want to rant about is the fact that they gave away that "California Dreamin'" lipstick to only people who lived in California. That is ridiculous and it was one of my favourite colors too. They are after all a Canadian brand, so they should show us some love too.

just_jill325

I'm a bag-a-holic and last few years when i was really into Louis Vuitton and when the Canadian dollar started to become better than the USD prices a lot of us complained to LV and to our Sales Associates as to why is the CAD prices worth way more than the USD when our CAD $ is worth so much more. It was like it was worth it to go down to the states and buy a bag and come back and still be ahead! Louis Vuitton ended up lowering the CAD prices as they should to reflect the economics. They did take about 6 months to do so, but at least it is more fair. Not sure why MAC isn't actively doing that. I mean the CAD prices doen't have to equal the USD prices but a $1.00- $1.50 less would be more relative.

thanks
smiles.gif

user79

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-0ne
They are after all a Canadian brand, so they should show us some love too.

MAC hasn't been a Canadian brand in a long time, it's Estee Lauder now - US.