MAC Pricing in Canada Compared to Other Countries

BlahWah

Re: Is mac cheaper in canada?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paramnesia
The aussie dollar was at about last time I checked 92 cents in every US dollar, yet we still pay about double.

I know, I completely feel for you gals in Australia! I couldn't believe the prices I've heard MAC has down under. I guess what really gets to me about the Canadian pricing is knowing that the item is made locally - the address printed on the packaging is a 1/2-hr drive from my place - and yet we're paying more than American customers! There's a bigger market there and all, I know, but still, it gets to me...

Anyhoo, the thread isn't to gripe, just to inform. MAC ain't cheaper in Canada (yet? There's hope!), so better to swing by a U.S. counter/store if you get the chance.

Mind you, I believe you can get the taxes back if you're visiting from another country, at least the GST... that's just what I vaguely recall from shopping around Niagara and seeing signs telling U.S. shoppers about how they can get their money back on the GST (and/or PST) they've paid. I might be incredibly misinformed, but if you can get it back, it makes shopping in Canada a bit easier to handle, yah?

Paramnesia

Thanks Blahwah, Simply Elegant.
It makes me want to boycott aus MAC stores and buy online, but then poor but I know that's not gunna help lol.

Anyway back on topic, US is cheaper, there is also CCO/CCS's in US as well.

Sushi.

Quote:
I guess what really gets to me about the Canadian pricing is knowing that the item is made locally - the address printed on the packaging is a 1/2-hr drive from my place - and yet we're paying more than American customers

ya that makes just as much sence as our postal service. I run a small online buisness and it costs more to send stuff in canada (where i live) then it does to send stuff to the US and even international. makes alot sence right? lol

Whats with canada? lol

Unfortunately, MAC is more in Canada.
Lipsticks/Eyeshadows/Lipglasses, $16.50
Mascara, $13
Fluidline $18
Paint Pots $20
Pigments $23.50
etc.

What really makes me sad..
187 $50.50

ssad.gif

It's really depressing when I live all of an hour from where it's manufactured and have to pay more for it then if I drive an hour in the other direction to Buffalo, NY.

maxcat

It all made sense when the CDN dollar was at .65 cents US, now the dollar is on par and it's all terribly out of whack. Not just MAC. EVERYTHING.

silentkite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paramnesia
The aussie dollar was at about last time I checked 92 cents in every US dollar, yet we still pay about double.

92 US cents for an Australian dollar.
winkiss.gif

That is the reason US prices seem so cheap to us, because our dollar is worth more. Back when an AUS dollar bought 70 US cents, and the US dollar was worth relatively more, there was less of a difference in prices. Still WAY cheaper in the US than in Australia, though.

Simply Elegant

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlahWah
Mind you, I believe you can get the taxes back if you're visiting from another country, at least the GST... that's just what I vaguely recall from shopping around Niagara and seeing signs telling U.S. shoppers about how they can get their money back on the GST (and/or PST) they've paid. I might be incredibly misinformed, but if you can get it back, it makes shopping in Canada a bit easier to handle, yah?

Yeah I'm pretty sure that's true. I've heard of it before.

The only good thing about shopping for MAC in Canada is that stuff generally runs out more slowly here so if you've missed out on something, it might be in Canada still. There's still smoke signals stuff left here and that surprises me.

BlahWah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simply Elegant
The only good thing about shopping for MAC in Canada is that stuff generally runs out more slowly here so if you've missed out on something, it might be in Canada still. There's still smoke signals stuff left here and that surprises me.

That's so true. I have to keep reminding myself not to get too caught up in the hype b/c there aren't as many crazy MAC fans up here! Lingerie was the first collection I could blow good money on and with all the talk about it on here I went to my closest Bay counter at 8:30 on Boxing Day morning - to find the place empty except for one very tired MA! She was great, and happened to be the same MA who did my first makeover. But yeah, she knew I was a die-hard fan if I was getting up that early just for MAC! Little did she know about the other drooling Specktra members eagerly waiting for the doors at their counters to burst open!

Lingerie stuff hung around for quite awhile there, so I really could've slept in - or done my shopping elsewhere that morning!

Meryl

Quote:
I have to keep reminding myself not to get too caught up in the hype b/c there aren't as many crazy MAC fans up here!

There aren't many of us here, period. MAC fans or not. The States is such a huge market, they make their own rules and everything is cheaper.

rouquinne

Quote:
II believe you can get the taxes back if you're visiting from another country, at least the GST... that's just what I vaguely recall from shopping around Niagara and seeing signs telling U.S. shoppers about how they can get their money back on the GST (and/or PST) they've paid.

you used to be able to, but that program was cancelled at the beginning of last fiscal year - March 31, 2007.

more info can be found here -

NOTICE221 - Questions and Answers on the Cancellation of the Visitor Rebate Program and the Implementation of the New Foreign Convention and Tour Incentive Program

L0VELY

Quote:
I have to keep reminding myself not to get too caught up in the hype b/c there aren't as many crazy MAC fans up here!

I agree. I remember when I Heatherette sold out right away on the US site and everything was still available on the Canadian one! I live in Manitoba, and seriously, there aren't very many MAC fans. Things sell out over time, not right away.

breechan

Quote:
My first reaction when I read the thread title:

Heheh....*ahem* NO.

An unfortunate reality.

Really? How much is it there? I'll have to keep that in mind the next time my relatives go over! I always thought it'd be more expensive b/c I heard that foundation is US$50!

About the HK prices, yes it's slightly cheaper than Canada, perhaps cheaper than the US, not sure. There's a thread here somewhere with HK prices listed.

PBunnieP

Annoyed Canadian and her MAC opinions_price changes?

I was just recently viewing the MAC website and found that they've raised the prices AGAIN?

Example:
Prev. Eyeshadow = 16.50CAD
New. Eyeshadow = 17.00CAD

Prev. SFF = 30.00CAD [?]
New. SFF = 31.00CAD

I live in Vancouver/Burnaby and it's already bad enough that I have to pay more for MAC than in the States... I think SFF = $26.00USD....Eyeshadows = $14.50USD
I try to save up for my trips to Tullalip [sp?] at the CCO where eyeshadows are only $10USD but I can't help but wonder WHY IN THE WORLD do Canadians pay so much MAC? I thought MAC used to be a Canadian brand? [Before being bought by Estee Lauder]

As a university student I can't always afford MAC at these prices
thmbdn.gif
... only for special occasions/treats. I was at MUFE the other day and their eyeshadows are only $18.50??? They are also almost 1.5 -2x the size of MAC's.... Hmm...

Any other people annoyed with prices differences in their home country? [I've also heard UK people have to pay much more as well]

pumpkincat210

Re: Annoyed Canadian and her MAC opinions_price changes?

Is the canadian dollar stronger than the u.s. dollar? I know the euro is at an all time high against the dollar. That is one reason why you might see higher prices in your country. I agree with you on how annoying it is to see price hikes all the time. At increases twice a year, soon i won't be able to justify spending so much on m.a.c., especially when other brands with good quality are popping up all the time.

VDUB*BELLA

Canadian dollar is pretty much on par with the US dollar (give or take a few cents)
Canadian MAC prices have always consistently been higher than US prices even though most MAC products are made just outside of Toronto.
When I did email MAC about this concern a few months ago they assured me that they would review this. Bullshit. When a price increase happened they also raised the Canadian MAC prices as well instead of 'trying' to level it out with the US prices.

Its a losing battle.
Dont even get me started on the price difference in brushes....
th_mad0217.gif

Nzsallyb

you guys are lucky - here in NZ e/s are NZ$34, and everything from there on just goes up. i brought the 182 brush the other day and nearly died - NZ$98!!!!!!!!!!

pumpkincat210

I did a bit of looking around on the subject and i found that companies keep prices lower in the U.S. because it is the most competitive and important market in the world. Basically all other economies are driven by what happens to the U.S. economy. Especially if you see the U.S. in a recession the pressure to keep prices low is even greater, although we are seeing lots of inflation.
Keep writing letters and putting pressure on your country to close the price gap!

Shaquille

Yes, I am as well so freaking annoyed that MAC prices are much much higher than the US prices
angry.gif
MAC started in Canada. It's a Canadian brand, doesn't matter who bought it then. Some things are still produced in London, Ontario. So why should we get the bad side, of having to cover all the cost???
thmbdn.gif

I stayed in Malaysia and the price of MAC is also higher than the prices in US.
RM82 for a bottle of pigment
ssad.gif