MAC Temperature Rising Collection (May 2013)

Audrey C

If I could go back and do one thing differently appearance wise, it would be to wear sunscreen religiously. I was NC20 when I was younger, but I've always tanned easily. My grandparents had a cottage when I was a kid in the 70s, and almost no one wore sunscreen back then. I lived in the lake all summer and was very always very dark by August. A tan was viewed as healthy looking so no one was concerned. In the 80s I tanned with my friends, since that was considered attractive at the time and I didn't like my light complexion. Forget SPF - we coated ourselves in baby oil. It wasn't until my early 30s that I actually started to notice that I wasn't tanning as 'nicely' anymore - my skin didn't look better afterwards. My tan wasn't as even. By then the damage was done.

I'm lucky I don't look like the crypt keeper - a better ozone layer and oily skin probably helped. Now, I would LOVE to get my skin back to NC20 and stay that colour, but I have sun damage and all the retinoids in the world aren't going to eliminate it. I realized last year that most MUAs were matching me to too dark foundation because my face is darker than my neck, hands, etc. I now wear NC25 or so and it's a good compromise between my darker face and lighter everywhere else skin. I felt totally vindicated after watching the Lisa Eldridge "Choosing the Right Shade of Foundation' video (http://www.lisaeldridge.com/video/25670/how-to-find-the-right-shade-of-foundation/) - that's exactly me. The skin at my jawline near my ear is still NC20. If a MUA picks a shade to match my cheeks or chin I will look like an oompa loompa. I now just tell them what shade to use, even if some tell me it's too light. It's not, although it's taken lots of trial and error (and some talented MUAs) to find the right shades. It's taken me a long time to figure this out, but I'm now using Clinique's Redness Solutions skincare line and their foundation. It makes a HUGE difference, although I had to get used to myself 'light' again. I just bought the primer yesterday and I'm trying it out. It's definitely making a difference. I finally don't look like my face is a dark mask, but I don't look like a ghost either.

A lot of rambling to say...WEAR SUNSCREEN! If you want a tanned look, use bronzer OVER sunscreen. There is no healthy amount of tan. It's evidence of damage to your skin.

duku

If I could go back and do one thing differently appearance wise, it would be to wear sunscreen religiously. I was NC20 when I was younger, but I've always tanned easily. My grandparents had a cottage when I was a kid in the 70s, and almost no one wore sunscreen back then. I lived in the lake all summer and was very always very dark by August. A tan was viewed as healthy looking so no one was concerned. In the 80s I tanned with my friends, since that was considered attractive at the time and I didn't like my light complexion. Forget SPF - we coated ourselves in baby oil. It wasn't until my early 30s that I actually started to notice that I wasn't tanning as 'nicely' anymore - my skin didn't look better afterwards. My tan wasn't as even. By then the damage was done.

I'm lucky I don't look like the crypt keeper - a better ozone layer and oily skin probably helped. Now, I would LOVE to get my skin back to NC20 and stay that colour, but I have sun damage and all the retinoids in the world aren't going to eliminate it. I realized last year that most MUAs were matching me to too dark foundation because my face is darker than my neck, hands, etc. I now wear NC25 or so and it's a good compromise between my darker face and lighter everywhere else skin. I felt totally vindicated after watching the Lisa Eldridge "Choosing the Right Shade of Foundation' video (http://www.lisaeldridge.com/video/25670/how-to-find-the-right-shade-of-foundation/) - that's exactly me. The skin at my jawline near my ear is still NC20. If a MUA picks a shade to match my cheeks or chin I will look like an oompa loompa. I now just tell them what shade to use, even if some tell me it's too light. It's not, although it's taken lots of trial and error (and some talented MUAs) to find the right shades. It's taken me a long time to figure this out, but I'm now using Clinique's Redness Solutions skincare line and their foundation. It makes a HUGE difference, although I had to get used to myself 'light' again. I just bought the primer yesterday and I'm trying it out. It's definitely making a difference. I finally don't look like my face is a dark mask, but I don't look like a ghost either.

A lot of rambling to say...WEAR SUNSCREEN! If you want a tanned look, use bronzer OVER sunscreen. There is no healthy amount of tan. It's evidence of damage to your skin.
This. These days I'm the only person in my family who looks like a ghost year round give or take a few freckles. My parents love tanning and I would always get burnt in the summer as a child because they never bought above factor 15 or so. I got wise to this in my teens and started buying my own factor 30/40/50 sunscreen so I wouldn't get burnt anymore. On holiday with my friends, despite being the palest, I was the only one not to burn; I prefer being see-through to being burnt and wrinkly.

rockin

I never, ever set out to tan. I'm fed up of sales assistants telling me I should try bronzer, too - I don't want bronzer, I like my pale skin. To me, tanned skin is damaged skin, and why would I want to look like I have damaged skin??

Not a fan of the packaging of this collection. Luckily (due to money restraints, especially with all the collections coming out in May here in the UK) I don't like many of the colours either. I am only interested in

Feel My Pulse lipstick

Temperature Rising quad (pending swatches)

Ripe For Love blush (pending swatches on pale skin like my own)

I like the look of Hot Nights too, although I think it may be too similar to some of the other MAC blushes I have, and also it is frosty, which I fear could enhance my pores

Audrey C

POWDER BLUSH
Ripe For Love mid-tone peach (satin)
Hot Nights mid-tone berry pink (frost)
I love the look of Ripe for Love but I will resist. I can't possibly justify one more coral or peach blush.

Top Row: Stereo Rose, Marine Life, My Paradise
Bottom Row: Torrid, Fresh Honey, Peachykeen, Modern Mandarin, Liberté

I have a few lighter peach shades too. Why oh why do we keep buying the same shades over and over?!

mac_aiken

I am a reformed sun worshipper who is now proud to say that I am an N1/NW10 in MAC foundations (and in the winter that can be too dark). I used to tan from sun up to sun down on the beaches of my Florida hometown wearing nothing but a combination of baby oil and iodine (don't ask. This was very popular back in the 80s.) Then I watched my grandmother die from a metasticized (sp?) melanoma. It was the most horrific thing I have ever seen. I was able to correct most of the sun damage thanks to the Clarisonic and good skin care products. I wear Shiseido sunscreen 365 days a year even though I live in Seattle. I will be 50 soon and I can honestly say that I don't look it. My sisters who are younger than me still tan and they both look like they are pushing 70. My mom never wears sunscreen (and she is very fair) and now it looks like all her freckles merged into one big brown spot. It is terrible. So I agree 110% with the posters advocating sunscreen daily.

I normally hate summer collections. I embrace the pale and I don't usually care for summer colors. I prefer the Fall and Winter collections by far. As a matter of fact the last pieces I bought from a MAC summer collection were Nanogold and Magnetic Field eyeshadows and Pink Grapefruit lipglass from the Neo Sci Fi collection. My favorite MAC artist (who is a gorgeous WOC) is the same way. So imagine my surprise when I came in to pick up my In Extra Dimension goodies and she told me that I needed to start saving for this collection now. She went to update this week and came away super excited about this collection. She said that she felt the In Extra Dimension and Temperature Rising were the must have collections of the year.

She told me that I would be safe skipping the bronzers and the Strobe (due to my preferences) as well as the oils. She also said that I couldn't go wrong with any of the color part of the collection and that I could make any of it work. I went from zero interest to wanting almost all of it.

Audrey C

My Clarisonc has helped, as have my various serums (Clinique Repairwear Laser Focus & Even Better Clinical Dark Spot Corrector, Dr. Brandt Glow Overnight Resurfacing Serum) and moisturizers (Youth Surge Night, Even Better Lotion, Repairwear Laser Focus Eye Cream). My skin is brighter, my sun spots have faded and the pigmentation is better but it`s certainly not gone. Still, it`s starting to feel like this is as good as it`s going to get. I guess if I`m not happy with these results the next step is seeing a dermatologist.

Can I ask what skin care products you`re using?

I am a reformed sun worshipper who is now proud to say that I am an N1/NW10 in MAC foundations (and in the winter that can be too dark). I used to tan from sun up to sun down on the beaches of my Florida hometown wearing nothing but a combination of baby oil and iodine (don't ask. This was very popular back in the 80s.) Then I watched my grandmother die from a metasticized (sp?) melanoma. It was the most horrific thing I have ever seen. I was able to correct most of the sun damage thanks to the Clarisonic and good skin care products. I wear Shiseido sunscreen 365 days a year even though I live in Seattle. I will be 50 soon and I can honestly say that I don't look it. My sisters who are younger than me still tan and they both look like they are pushing 70. My mom never wears sunscreen (and she is very fair) and now it looks like all her freckles merged into one big brown spot. It is terrible. So I agree 110% with the posters advocating sunscreen daily.

Rinstar

I love the look of Ripe for Love but I will resist. I can't possibly justify one more coral or peach blush. Top Row: Stereo Rose, Marine Life, My Paradise Bottom Row: Torrid, Fresh Honey, Peachykeen, Modern Mandarin, Liberté I have a few lighter peach shades too. Why oh why do we keep buying the same shades over and over?!
Cause they're so prettttty!!

duku

My Clarisonc has helped, as have my various serums (Clinique Repairwear Laser Focus & Even Better Clinical Dark Spot Corrector, Dr. Brandt Glow Overnight Resurfacing Serum) and moisturizers (Youth Surge Night, Even Better Lotion, Repairwear Laser Focus Eye Cream). My skin is brighter, my sun spots have faded and the pigmentation is better but it`s certainly not gone. Still, it`s starting to feel like this is as good as it`s going to get. I guess if I`m not happy with these results the next step is seeing a dermatologist.

Can I ask what skin care products you`re using?
Have you ever tried Alpha H skincare? http://www.beautybay.com/pages/Alpha-H/

ladyarwen

I never, ever set out to tan. I'm fed up of sales assistants telling me I should try bronzer, too - I don't want bronzer, I like my pale skin. To me, tanned skin is damaged skin, and why would I want to look like I have damaged skin??
EXACTLY. This is why I don't understand tanning, whether it be via the sun, tanning booths, cosmetics, whatever. You'll never catch me doing it.

DILLIGAF

I knew there was a reason I was trying to avoid all threads that had information for collections past Baking Beauties. I'm sucked right back into the frenzy and I LOVE IT!!!! This will be the next collection I dedicate my proper stalking skills to.

erine1881

I'm NW20 too and have had Sundipped recommended to me. My only concern is it is description mentions red and I have very pink undertones. Does that matter??
As an NW, ideally you'll want a more pink-based bronzer instead of a golden one.
I never, ever set out to tan.  I'm fed up of sales assistants telling me I should try bronzer, too - I don't want bronzer, I like my pale skin.  To me, tanned skin is damaged skin, and why would I want to look like I have damaged skin??
:werd:
I love the look of Ripe for Love but I will resist. I can't possibly justify one more coral or peach blush. I have a few lighter peach shades too. Why oh why do we keep buying the same shades over and over?!
But they're so pretty!!!
EXACTLY. This is why I don't understand tanning, whether it be via the sun, tanning booths, cosmetics, whatever. You'll never catch me doing it.
Same here!
I knew there was a reason I was trying to avoid all threads that had information for collections past Baking Beauties. I'm sucked right back into the frenzy and I LOVE IT!!!! This will be the next collection I dedicate my proper stalking skills to.
Welcome to the dark side! :devil:

Michelemu21

Yeah I can not agree more with all of this only I am nw20 so I almost never tan just burned. Luckily I was never an outdoor person but I am plagued with age spots...so ugly...I hate them. What I find helps is a darker foundation around the perimeter of my face where the majority of them are and bronzer over that.
If I could go back and do one thing differently appearance wise, it would be to wear sunscreen religiously. I was NC20 when I was younger, but I've always tanned easily. My grandparents had a cottage when I was a kid in the 70s, and almost no one wore sunscreen back then. I lived in the lake all summer and was very always very dark by August. A tan was viewed as healthy looking so no one was concerned. In the 80s I tanned with my friends, since that was considered attractive at the time and I didn't like my light complexion. Forget SPF - we coated ourselves in baby oil. It wasn't until my early 30s that I actually started to notice that I wasn't tanning as 'nicely' anymore - my skin didn't look better afterwards. My tan wasn't as even. By then the damage was done. I'm lucky I don't look like the crypt keeper - a better ozone layer and oily skin probably helped. Now, I would LOVE to get my skin back to NC20 and stay that colour, but I have sun damage and all the retinoids in the world aren't going to eliminate it. I realized last year that most MUAs were matching me to too dark foundation because my face is darker than my neck, hands, etc. I now wear NC25 or so and it's a good compromise between my darker face and lighter everywhere else skin. I felt totally vindicated after watching the Lisa Eldridge "Choosing the Right Shade of Foundation' video (http://www.lisaeldridge.com/video/25670/how-to-find-the-right-shade-of-foundation/) - that's exactly me. The skin at my jawline near my ear is still NC20. If a MUA picks a shade to match my cheeks or chin I will look like an oompa loompa. I now just tell them what shade to use, even if some tell me it's too light. It's not, although it's taken lots of trial and error (and some talented MUAs) to find the right shades. It's taken me a long time to figure this out, but I'm now using Clinique's Redness Solutions skincare line and their foundation. It makes a HUGE difference, although I had to get used to myself 'light' again. I just bought the primer yesterday and I'm trying it out. It's definitely making a difference. I finally don't look like my face is a dark mask, but I don't look like a ghost either. A lot of rambling to say...WEAR SUNSCREEN! If you want a tanned look, use bronzer OVER sunscreen. There is no healthy amount of tan. It's evidence of damage to your skin.

cr8zy4MAC

heart.gif
I want everything in this collection. This is better than sex and chocolate. It's a MAC-gasm!!! For those of us who like to back-up, it will be a multiple MAC-gasm.
winks.gif

ForeverJenn

So much for saving $ for this collection! I took a stroll by Macy's today & saw that they had some special with Michael kors watches. I end up getting 2.. Ay ay ay.

peachsuns

Thanks Honi! Wow, they look nice!
I need the brush and the Temperature RIsing quad.
thud.gif

Hope to see some swatches soon!

aradhana

I love the look of Ripe for Love but I will resist. I can't possibly justify one more coral or peach blush.

Top Row: Stereo Rose, Marine Life, My Paradise
Bottom Row: Torrid, Fresh Honey, Peachykeen, Modern Mandarin, Liberté

I have a few lighter peach shades too. Why oh why do we keep buying the same shades over and over?!
i think the only blush from your pic i don't have is liberte...yet i probably will not be able to stop myself from picking up yet another peachy coral.
th_dunno.gif

Audrey C

i think the only blush from your pic i don't have is liberte...yet i probably will not be able to stop myself from picking up yet another peachy coral.
th_dunno.gif
I will be strong. I will resist. I am trying hard not to look through slitty eyes at the upcoming NARS Rotonde because I Do.Not.Need. another coral or orange blush, particularly a giant one.

BTW, I LOVE Liberté.

We won't even talk about peach or pinky corals like Fleet Fast.
th_crazy2.gif

Pinkdollface

I just embrace my jelliness. Never bronze. Never tan. Never change colour. It's so much easier!
I love my paleness too, but I do like a bit of bronzer every now and then for a change. I applied the darker part of Double Definition today as a bronzer the way you said and I really like how it adds a bit of warmth and glow to my face.

NewChick10

I'm interested in the powder blush Ripe For Love mid-tone peach (satin), I'm not sure about the purple lipstick, I need to see swatches first.

Corally

i think the only blush from your pic i don't have is liberte...yet i probably will not be able to stop myself from picking up yet another peachy coral. :dunno:
I will be strong. I will resist. I am trying hard not to look through slitty eyes at the upcoming NARS Rotonde because I Do.Not.Need. another coral or orange blush, particularly a giant one. BTW, I LOVE Liberté. We won't even talk about peach or pinky corals like Fleet Fast. :loco:
Those new (gigantic!!) NARS blushes are gorgeous :eyelove: I wish we had NARS here.