Mixing Medium...

dangerousmuffins

I use a brand called Mehron (similar to Ben Nye & Kryolan). The product is called "Mixing Liquid" - 4 oz. for $6.00. The stuff is great.

Amethyst_beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellaetoile
eyeliner mixing medium > ezr > water based mixing medium.

i think ezr works well, but its very pricey..

I honestly think I had a less-than-honest SA that day...do they make a flat hourly wage or do they also work on commission?

I have a mixing medium but now I don't remember if it's water- or alcohol- based. I assume it must be the alcohol one as a few people I worked complained that it had a burning sensation, especially when I used it around the eye area. I don't use it much anymore as for me paints used under pigments work more easily.

Actually I bought the mixing medium in the first place to make glitter stick. Unfortunately I didn't find it worked very well, the formula dries too fast and the glitter doesn't spread evenly. Though it was good to make a glitter liquid eyeliner.

Anyone knows a good product to make glitter stick (preferably not cream-based as that tends to crease)? Thanks for the help.

Shawna

I had to bump this thread so I could tell everyone about my discovery. I had a tube of lash mixing medium, but I had only used it a few times to make glitter mascara. I found it the other day and thought to myself that it might make a good base for mascara. I put a thin strip along a disposable mascara wand and brushed it into my eyelashes before applying mascara. Not only did it curl, thicken and lengthen my lashes, it seems to keep the mascara in place all day with no smudging or clumping. This is absolutely the best lash primer I have ever used. It looks like I have fake lashes on. I
eyelove.gif
this stuff

aziajs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawna
I had to bump this thread so I could tell everyone about my discovery. I had a tube of lash mixing medium, but I had only used it a few times to make glitter mascara. I found it the other day and thought to myself that it might make a good base for mascara. I put a thin strip along a disposable mascara wand and brushed it into my eyelashes before applying mascara. Not only did it curl, thicken and lengthen my lashes, it seems to keep the mascara in place all day with no smudging or clumping. This is absolutely the best lash primer I have ever used. It looks like I have fake lashes on. I
eyelove.gif
this stuff

Wow! You make me want to try it!

bebs

Quote:
eyelove.gif
this stuff

lol.gif
thats excatly what I do with mine almost everyday. for colors it doesnt really work to well, it flakes alot color wise but as a primer
eyelove.gif
get the lash mm and the throw away wands and its great
smiles.gif

Amethyst_beauty

Quote:
eyelove.gif
this stuff

What is the retail price of the Mixing Medium Lash?

bebs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst_beauty
What is the retail price of the Mixing Medium Lash?

I think its like 12 or 13.5 or so .. its a pro product only though.

Shawna

I think I paid $14 canadian for it. You use so little of it though, that a tube would probably last a year. And because I am squeezing it out onto a clean brush, it wouldn't get bacteria in it like mascara does.

caffn8me

The alcohol based mixing medium isn't recommended for use around the eyes so if you're not sure whether yours is the alcohol or water one, perhaps it's better to stay on the safe side and not use it around the eyes. You ought to be able to smell the alcohol in the alcohol based mixing medium so give it a sniff and decide.

Ben Nye does a glue specifically for glitters. Oddly enough, it's called "Glitter Glue". That may well be your best bet. If you can't get it in Belgium, you can order from Screenface in London.

bebs

water works great for that stuff, that or eyeliner mm you could use it as a base for glitter I'm sure.. I'll have to try it sometime

pugmommy7

I have heard of folks using visine and having great results.
I have also used and loved transformer from paula dorf. it is marketed for use as an eyeliner medium, but I have used it with pigments/shadows and brow powder for years. a little goes a long way,and it is pricey, but it is great stuff.
hth.

renee604

Maybe you could try using propylene glycol, which I think is waterbased. You should be able to order it from a pharmacy for fairly cheap

bellaetoile

EZR by mac is really great for an eye-area mixing medium. its actually an eye-specific skincare gel, but holds pigments and glitters to the skin. water based mixing medium works ok, though i find it a bit too thin to work with. i keep wanting to get eyeliner mixing medium, but the LA pro store has been out of it foreverrr.

capspock

This is a GREAT recipe they have forever on MAC's yahoogroup database: (I do have the pro water based mixing medium and this recipe works just as fine)

-3 parts water (I use distilled water)
-1 part glycerin

Combine. Both can be found in any drugstore or pharmacy.

MizMac

I use a recipe close to that as well, I use a bit more glycerine to make it a bit thicker when I do the glitter thing.

Latest posts