Nail Polish Discussion - Any Brand

Anitacska

Planned to post this hours ago, got interrupted!
So I replaced my chipped PMS with 'Ard As Nails Amphitrite:
View attachment 71121 View attachment 71122 View attachment 71123 View attachment 71124 View attachment 71125
I was a little disappointed in this one - in the bottle I saw a beautiful bright blue, loads of orange and pink flakies and a ton of silver reflective glitter, with the blue looking green in low light. On my nails - it was mostly a very dense teal. The flakies didn't show through it like I expected them to (you could see them but not like the bottle) and the reflective was VERY shy, only showed in one lighting condition that I could see. In that light, the reflective came out like a beautiful turquoise and the base went a very pretty blue, so not a dead loss. As I'm sure you can see from my pics, this was somehow both too dense for the flakies and too sheer for my nail line - this was three coats, maybe it would have been better with a blurring base coat but I always felt it looked like I had dirt under my nails, it didn't do the usual just sheer on the free edge thing, just a dark line across the nails. Very unflattering! It was a pretty polish and next time I'll try the Snow under it but I was disappointed. It only looked good at the edge of the glow from my bedside light IMO. So I don't think I'll order from AAN again. I also had my first go with my glitter grabber (KBShimmer Smooth Moves) - I bought it because I've been buying a lot of reflectives recently and all the vloggers recommend it. I must say it was impressive, got rid of the gritty feel and I didn't need to apply more topcoat through the week as I usually do with glitters. I would recommend it - got that one because it's a bit cheaper than the other brands and seemed to do the job fine. This mani chipped after a week and two days in the gloves, just on one nail, so longevity was fine. But I was glad to see that black line go when I dumped it!
Yeah, this is not great. I only have 2 AAN polishes and pulled out one to wear a while ago, but it's so watery and sheer, I keep putting it off. It's one from that UK indie box Rainbow Connection used to do. I might try it eventually, but I feel like it'll need 4-5 coats and I don't have time for that.

PearlyQueen

I like this one. If it's one of the older ones, I might have it. I have a few of their multichromes from years ago.
I think it was from the second glow pop collection, I only bought it recently when RC had a sale on them. Kicking myself for just getting two! I also have some of their old multichromes, plus toppers and some others but I haven't bought or worn any for years. I love this though and there are so many beauties in the glow finish that I now want - I pulled this one out to wear because I have been so tempted to buy more, but I wanted to see how they looked on.

PearlyQueen

Yeah, this is not great. I only have 2 AAN polishes and pulled out one to wear a while ago, but it's so watery and sheer, I keep putting it off. It's one from that UK indie box Rainbow Connection used to do. I might try it eventually, but I feel like it'll need 4-5 coats and I don't have time for that.
I too only own two of their polishes, both from PPU. The first one was very underwhelming in the bottle and my paper swatch and I didn't think I'd buy again, but this one pulled me in with the combo of colour, flakes and glitter but now that I've seen how poorly it worked for me the small basket I had ready to order on their website has been deleted. There are much nicer formulas in the indie world to give my money to. Shame I can't support a local brand to the UK, but I'm just not impressed.

PearlyQueen

I'm very underwhelmed by this month's PPU! I have just two items on my wishlist and I'm not even sure about those! Anyone else loving this month's magnetics-fest more than me?

Anitacska

I'm very underwhelmed by this month's PPU! I have just two items on my wishlist and I'm not even sure about those! Anyone else loving this month's magnetics-fest more than me?
Yeah I'm not that keen on the PPU offerings either. I just had a proper look and I like 4 polishes, but one is magnetic (Cadillacquer) and I really don't have the time or energy for magnetic polishes anymore, one looks a lot like the polish I'm wearing right now (Paint It Pretty), the Pahlish is pretty, but I possibly have something like it already and that really only leaves the Garden Path. Not entirely sure I don't already have something like that either, but if you are ordering and don't mind me tagging along, I might get that.

Which ones do you like?

To be fair I have already spent a lot on non-essential stuff this month, and I will also need to pay for train tickets and stuff when college starts again next week, so I'm quite happy with that. Also my boiler appears to be broken, the pressure keeps going down in it and when I topped it up the other night, the water ended up leaking out of the pipes in the loft and through my bedroom ceiling. The leak wasn't too serious, but obviously can't use the boiler like this. And to top it off, the immersion heater is now not working in the hot water tank, so I think it will be a very big bill. We have no hot water and of course it's a long weekend and I didn't want to spend a fortune on an emergency callout. Oh joy!

PearlyQueen

Yeah I'm not that keen on the PPU offerings either. I just had a proper look and I like 4 polishes, but one is magnetic (Cadillacquer) and I really don't have the time or energy for magnetic polishes anymore, one looks a lot like the polish I'm wearing right now (Paint It Pretty), the Pahlish is pretty, but I possibly have something like it already and that really only leaves the Garden Path. Not entirely sure I don't already have something like that either, but if you are ordering and don't mind me tagging along, I might get that.

Which ones do you like?
!
To be fair I have already spent a lot on non-essential stuff this month, and I will also need to pay for train tickets and stuff when college starts again next week, so I'm quite happy with that. Also my boiler appears to be broken, the pressure keeps going down in it and when I topped it up the other night, the water ended up leaking out of the pipes in the loft and through my bedroom ceiling. The leak wasn't too serious, but obviously can't use the boiler like this. And to top it off, the immersion heater is now not working in the hot water tank, so I think it will be a very big bill. We have no hot water and of course it's a long weekend and I didn't want to spend a fortune on an emergency callout. Oh joy!
My two are the Paint It Pretty and the Garden Path! Still undecided what to do about them, the PiP I've at least seen Caitlin's video and know I like it, the GP - just the one pic on the PPU website so far. So I'm reserving judgement for now. If I shop it will be to Nailland. ETA - just seen there are more pics up now, it's really pretty....

Last edited:

PearlyQueen

Which ones do you like?

Sorry, meant to add - what a bummer about your water, hope it gets fixed ASAP. x

Anitacska

Sorry, meant to add - what a bummer about your water, hope it gets fixed ASAP. x
Thanks. I did find where the water was coming from and tightened the valves, so decided to be brave and top the water up and switch the boiler on. So far no leakage, the pressure seems to be stable and we have hot water! Yay! I still need to get it checked, I think I missed the yearly service last autumn due to work, and the pressure does drop from time to time, but it never leaks. At least we have hot water.

Anitacska

My two are the Paint It Pretty and the Garden Path! Still undecided what to do about them, the PiP I've at least seen Caitlin's video and know I like it, the GP - just the one pic on the PPU website so far. So I'm reserving judgement for now. If I shop it will be to Nailland. ETA - just seen there are more pics up now, it's really pretty....
Looks like we have similar tastes! If you do order, please let me know, if that's okay.

Anitacska

Been meaning to post these mani (and pedi!) pictures, but never got around to it. I've been on holiday since Wednesday, but been busy gardening and with the children. Luckily the garden is nearly done and I'm still off until Monday, so might have a bit more time now.

This is ILNP Unfazed from a couple of weeks ago. Not the best pictures, didn't capture the shift, this new phone doesn't have the best camera unfortunately. Mind you the shift wasn't that great anyway. The colour was more muted as well.

20230816_132509.jpg

20230816_132522.jpg

Pedi (from the same day) Glam Polish Dark Wings, Dark Worlds. This has some pink glitters and a lovely purple shift, but you can't really see either I'm afraid. Also please excuse my fat, puffy feet.

20230816_133005.jpg

20230816_133017.jpg

My current mani, about to come off is BKL The Erlking. I think this looks a lot like the PIP from PPU. It's a very pretty polish.

20230826_100317.jpg

20230826_100334.jpg

20230826_131933.jpg

PearlyQueen

Been meaning to post these mani (and pedi!) pictures, but never got around to it. I've been on holiday since Wednesday, but been busy gardening and with the children. Luckily the garden is nearly done and I'm still off until Monday, so might have a bit more time now.

This is ILNP Unfazed from a couple of weeks ago. Not the best pictures, didn't capture the shift, this new phone doesn't have the best camera unfortunately. Mind you the shift wasn't that great anyway. The colour was more muted as well.

View attachment 71126

View attachment 71127

Pedi (from the same day) Glam Polish Dark Wings, Dark Worlds. This has some pink glitters and a lovely purple shift, but you can't really see either I'm afraid. Also please excuse my fat, puffy feet.

View attachment 71128

View attachment 71129

My current mani, about to come off is BKL The Erlking. I think this looks a lot like the PIP from PPU. It's a very pretty polish.

View attachment 71130

View attachment 71131

View attachment 71132
I love all of these, especially the BKL - wishing I'd got this now!

PearlyQueen

I've been sweating on my GLL order making it within the 60 days to Stackry - but it's shipped so that's great, should be fine. BUT my PPU order is delayed by one maker, yesterday it said hoping to ship by 4th, today it's saying 5th. 10th is my deadline - so annoying, I really want to ship them and stop the storage charges. But today I saw that at midnight we have something launching from BKL, which is intriguing me, so maybe I'll shop with them direct if I want anything and check out Stackry without the PPU. Too much polish! Too much hassle! I also like the look of the forthcoming KBShimmer collection, I expect I'll be getting some of those. And maybe the PfD charity polish. I'm hoping to finally ship all my HHCs this month too, once July polishes arrive. And of course waiting for this month's preview to see what I want as well.

PearlyQueen

That's fine, I'm not too fussed about the GP polish, I'm sure I have somethig similar, and if not, over 6000 different polishes! :ROFLMAO:
Yes, I told myself I definitely have similar to both of my choices and plenty of beauties I've never worn to play with. Sadly I can't buy everything and even if I could I will not live long enough to wear them! I have so many already that I'm keen to get round to. I need to slow down on the buying but I do dumb things like start a Nailland or Stackry order and get sucked into buying more to add... Wildflower is coming too, though so far I only like a couple of the new collection. Don't know what is going on with Hypnotic - they moved, said August reopening but have not reappeared so not sure if they're coming back or not.

Anitacska

Yes, I told myself I definitely have similar to both of my choices and plenty of beauties I've never worn to play with. Sadly I can't buy everything and even if I could I will not live long enough to wear them! I have so many already that I'm keen to get round to. I need to slow down on the buying but I do dumb things like start a Nailland or Stackry order and get sucked into buying more to add... Wildflower is coming too, though so far I only like a couple of the new collection. Don't know what is going on with Hypnotic - they moved, said August reopening but have not reappeared so not sure if they're coming back or not.
No, I haven't seen anything from them on Facebook. Weird.