NARS Light Reflecting Setting Powders

sss215

I saw this in Sephora and almost picked it up but I had just come from a Laura Mercier event and bought a powder from them so I thought it would be best to come on here and do research.  It's looking like I will pick this up.    Thanks for the review.  I was wondering about the ashy factor.  I will check out this pencil and the Sally Hansen.  I have a lip exfoliator from SH that I really like and want to try some other SH lip products. So true.  Translucent doesn't always work for WOC.
I'm torn because its translucent and its always different on darker skin. I need to get to a NARS counter to see if I can get a sample. Hopefully yes; I don't want to buy it only to return it if it doesn't work.

sherm

I don't think this powder is for me :( I first tried it on one half of my face following exfoliation and I DID feel that my makeup wore better than normal, but I didn't particularly notice any blurring effect. The subsequent times I used the powder I tried it all over my face, but not on "scrubby days" - my face is too sensitive to withstand daily exfoliation - and it seemed that the powder revealed flakes on my skin that I didn't know were there (I even tried fluffing it on with a powder brush vs buffing with a kabuki). I also felt really gross at the end of each day so I really don't think the ingredients are agreeing with my skin. I wanted to love it but...nope. It's probably just as well that I keep my routine simple, and I'm glad I tried it so now I know!

Shadowy Lady

She doesn't shy away from criticising Nars when she doesn't like a product, so giving them both an A+ is a pretty strong statement. Dying to try one of these, but still torn between the loose and pressed formula.
I know I cannot decide either! I'm thinking loose and just keep my Chanel pressed powder in my purse if needed. I'm going on holiday tomorrow so I will decide when I'm back...Thank Goodness Nars seldom does limited edition things.

shazzy22

Went to sephora and picked up the reflecting loose setting powder. Liked the way it looked when the mua applied it.

fieran

I picked up a jar recently and I love it. I have combination oily skin and the powder sets my foundation + concealer + blush really well.

I do agree that it has a slightly food-like smell. Reminded me of dim sums :)

It seems like a little bit goes a long way, I barely picked much up on my brush but my face was definitely powdered,

I always choose loose over pressed as I feel like I get more product for the same price - especially with NARS and MAC's Prep+Prime powder.

MacNcheese

I picked up the loose powder today. I had to go to 2 Sephoras to find it. I'm going to try it on before I go to bed. I have to decide which brush to use. I have a fan brush and almost all the duo fiber brushes that Mac had put out. I mostly use a #138 (I think) tapered powder brush to apply the Becca Loose powder that I wear daily.
Please post how you like it vs the Laura Mercier if you have time.

deanfour

I am a WOC (MUFE 173/NC45) and I love this loose powder. It's not chalky and has a subtle sheen. It makes my make up last all day! LOVE it!

Antigone

I contemplated on buying this, but finally decided against it, after my friend tried and said it won't give me an "ethereal" glow.

I have an HG loose powder that's manufactured here in the Philippines and cost, like 0.40 usd for a huge tube. :)) It seriously performs better on me than my Chanel Poudre Universelle Libre. I think the Chanel one is too pink for me. I am using #20 Clair - I probably should have bought #10 Limpide. #30 Naturelle makes me look tanned.

Back on the NARS, I still want to try it. But it's very expensive where I am (almost 50 dollars) and I got severe irritation from NARS Sheer Glow and Tinted Moisturizer that I can't take this huge risk. Will wait for testers at the counter - it just arrived, and there are no testers available yet.

I want an "ethereal" glow though. How do I get that? So far, my attempts have succeeded in making me oily. Or is ethereal too much to aspire for in a tropical country?

elegant-one

I picked up a jar recently and I love it. I have combination oily skin and the powder sets my foundation + concealer + blush really well.

It seems like a little bit goes a long way, I barely picked much up on my brush but my face was definitely powdered,

I always choose loose over pressed as I feel like I get more product for the same price - especially with NARS and MAC's Prep+Prime powder.
clap.gif

I would say - get the loose if you cannot decide.

elegant-one

I just read T's reviews. You can most definitely see the difference in the blurring of her skin. The photo of just foundation vs the Nars side which is obviously nicer.
But, you have to remember she over does everything so that it shows in the pics, but that is not the intent of wearing this powder in real life. You do not need a lot. I wonder if some that find it too white or powdery are simply using too much or the wrong brush which both will defeat the purpose of this natural enhancing powder.

deanfour

I have an unopened MUFE one also. How do you like it? I have so many powders I need to use up before I open it. What makes it so different? I did hear it doesn't do so well with flash photography... True?
I heard the same things about the flash effect. That is one reason why I exchanged it for the NARS loose powder.

Lisianthus

Does the smell linger on your face at all? I don't want to walk around smelling of dim sum!
nope.gif

shontay07108

I heard the same things about the flash effect. That is one reason why I exchanged it for the NARS loose powder.
The MUFE HD powder has zero flashback if a small amount is used and it's buffed into the skin with a somewhat firm brush. I never had any problems with it after I picked up on that trick. Before it looked like I threw powder on my face. I finally returned the loose powder to Saks today. Bummer that so many people loved it, but not me. It just didn't do anything for my particular skin type. The blur effect went really wrong on my skin and took the life out of it. One blogger I follow said she puts on her foundation, a powder and then the Nars powder. She says the Nars powder doesn't really set her foundation, but it adds the airbrush affect if saved for last. That's an interesting idea, but I'm not doing all that.

VampyCouture

One blogger I follow said she puts on her foundation, a powder and then the Nars powder. She says the Nars powder doesn't really set her foundation, but it adds the airbrush affect if saved for last. That's an interesting idea, but I'm not doing all that.
When I first got this powder, I used it all the time and I never experienced the flashback.

shontay07108

I noticed a scent to the powder, too that I couldn't place. Peanut butter might be close, but it didn't stay. I wondered if it was just my jar or what.

Latest posts