NC 45 is the craziest shade

MAHALO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePerfectScore
Thanks you guys!!! When I put on foundation, I mostly put a lot of lotion on my face and then use a foundation brush to put on lil dabs of foundation to even out my skin tone. So I guess I sorta make a tinted moisturizer. Then I follow it up with a light dust of some old cover girl clean press powder in tawny. I mostly just use foundation to hide my under the eye circles. This is me on a particularly bad skin night. This was the last day of school, so the last day of finals which means that I was extremely sleep deprived and didn't drink enough water (the chapped ashy lips). This is my bare face after much abuse.
Picture3-1.png

We have a very similar skintone. Except my darker spot is my chin. Your skin is lovely.

MACaholic76

Quote:
Originally Posted by reesesilverstar
I know, I'm so jealous!
ssad.gif

MACaholic, yr a Godsend... Thanks

Awww, you are very welcome! What a wonderful thing to say that was!
th_DANCE.gif

imperfectbeauty

I wear NC 45 Studio Fix Foundation and the match was great because I was tanned at the time. But I feel like it darkens my complexion just a bit now because I live in Seattle, we don't get much sun and because of school Im always inside. I honestly don't know what to do. It's so frustrating!!!!

Entice

LOL..I read it in Essence too and I was like wtf? I wear NC50/NW45 (Gabrielle Union's complexion) and Serena appears to be a smidge darker than me. There's just no way..I think it was a typo, lol.

Stylistic_x3

Hello my gorgeous tanned ladies! I was reading a few posts from this thread & came across how MUA would sometimes match us up with the wrong foundation. I'm an NC43/ 44 & tell me why a MUA matched me up with NC 50 about 2 years back. I was looking darker than ever! But of course, me being new to MAC foundations at the age of 15, I assumed she was correct! Haha. Glad I know better now. But go back to her for color advice? Hmph...Never again.
blah.gif

makeuplover7239

Let me tell you my dilemma. I am a Indian and the first time I got matched, the MA( who was awesome) matched me to NC50 in the Satinfinish and gave me the Dark MSF. I thought it was great, until I kept looking like I got super tanned ( more orangy than golden) on my face and my neck and decollete was a totally different color.
I go again to the MAC counter and get matched and they give me the NC45 with the dark MSF it worked for a while in the winter, but I kept feeling my foundation looked to fake( as in too perfect) and not natural.
Finally I ended being an NC50 in Satinfinish with the Medium Deep MSF.
But I see a huge difference in the NC50 in the satinfinish and the NC50 in the select spf and studio fix. Does anyone else see that??

MACaholic76

Quote:
Originally Posted by makeuplover7239
Let me tell you my dilemma. I am a Indian and the first time I got matched, the MA( who was awesome) matched me to NC50 in the Satinfinish and gave me the Dark MSF. I thought it was great, until I kept looking like I got super tanned ( more orangy than golden) on my face and my neck and decollete was a totally different color.
I go again to the MAC counter and get matched and they give me the NC45 with the dark MSF it worked for a while in the winter, but I kept feeling my foundation looked to fake( as in too perfect) and not natural.
Finally I ended being an NC50 in Satinfinish with the Medium Deep MSF.
But I see a huge difference in the NC50 in the satinfinish and the NC50 in the select spf and studio fix. Does anyone else see that??

Yup, there are huge differences in all these foundations. I have the satinfinish in nc50 and its soooo much darker in comparison to the select spf, which I can wear with no problems during the summer months. Also, Dark MSF tends to oxidize badly IMO and will make any foundation look orangy.

MAHALO

NC45 winter/NW43 summer ... I have MSF Natural Dark and it's too dark for me. I should have gotten Medium Dark.

TISH1124

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAHALO
NC45 winter/NW43 summer ... I have MSF Natural Dark and it's too dark for me. I should have gotten Medium Dark.

This is me exactly...Just had to get NW43 for the first time..I have been riding my bike a lot and I have gotten really red....

makeuplover7239

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACaholic76
Yup, there are huge differences in all these foundations. I have the satinfinish in nc50 and its soooo much darker in comparison to the select spf, which I can wear with no problems during the summer months. Also, Dark MSF tends to oxidize badly IMO and will make any foundation look orangy.

I thought the Satinfinish is the lightest of all. The NC 50 in the other foundations are way too dark on me. But I love the Satinfinish and its my HG.

I havent tried NC45 in the other foundations, but I have in the Satinfinish and its so yellow! Why cant they have an in between shade?

miss_primer

I was matched to NC45 in Studio Tech about 2 weeks ago. The foundation was to dark for me. Every time I applied it, i thought i must be too heavy handed with it. I thought i was caking it on..lol. When my mom saw me with it on she said thats way to dark for me. She took me outside with a mirror to prove me wrong because i denied it. I had to wipe off one side for her and leave the other side on. She was right. It was too dark.

elektra513

I agree, there is a big problem with NC45--each foundation formula makes the color different, like select spf versus studio fix versus studio fix fluid, etc. Plus you have to factor in how much makeup you are applying to your face (a dime-sized amount versus a quarter size) and how it's being applied.

All that to say, I gave up on Mac and moved on to Prescriptives.

SheLuvsMAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_hood_model
How come NC 45 seems to be the "one fits all shade?" i just read next month's essence and Serena Williams said she use the stuido stick in NC 45 out of all the MAC shade this is the one I hear WOC say the use, the one i heard the least has to be NW43 or 47, i wonder why sooo many women who seem varies complexion use this color

As a NC45 in Tech, Sculpt and SatinFinish I often wonder the same thing, especially when I see someone who's a NC40 and they're far lighter than me. Funny thing is, my daughter is an NW43 and her foundation looks horrible on me. I have NC50 in Studio Fix and but the NC50's looked horrible on me in Studio Sculpt. I've had MAC MA's (including a WOC) do swatches along my cheek and somehow it's always NC45. MAC NC45 looks better than the other brands I've tried but I'll always be on a quest for my true HG foundation.

SheLuvsMAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACaholic76
Also, Dark MSF tends to oxidize badly IMO and will make any foundation look orangy.

Oh, thanks for saying this! When I picked up Sugarsweet I'd scheduled a makeover because of the MSF Natural in Dark. It told the MA it was too red but when she put it on me, of course it looked great. Which Dark shade do you think I should try? Wow, thanks again - I thought it was just me!

MAHALO

The quest for the HG foundation continues. Bye Bye NC45. Bye Bye Sherri-LYN EG Minerals. After 2 weeks in the tropics and 1 week back home outdoors in the sun, my skin has changed significantly. Before I buy anything else, I'll mix a few things from my stash of mineral makeup samples and full sizes to see if I can get a good match.

makeuplover7239

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAHALO

You should try Medium Deep if Dark is too dark and orangey for you. It is slightly browner than Medium Dark.

tong.gif

makeuplover7239

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheLuvsMAC
Oh, thanks for saying this! When I picked up Sugarsweet I'd scheduled a makeover because of the MSF Natural in Dark. It told the MA it was too red but when she put it on me, of course it looked great. Which Dark shade do you think I should try? Wow, thanks again - I thought it was just me!

I think you should try Medium Deep. It's one shade lighter than Dark and it is so different compared to Dark MSF! I used to look orangey with Dark and I switched to Medium Deep and it works out perfectly!