New maccosmetics.com website

iadoremac

What are your thoughts and comments on the new MAC website. I just noticed it today and havent seen any thread on it.

lara

Needless flash.

I see the full colour descriptions for the products are now gone as well and not every colour has a texture description.

panda0410

I dont like that it takes a while to load, but that could just be a server or site problem since its new...

What I REALLY DO like is that we no longer need to speak to an artist for repalcement colours for Dcd items - recommended colours are automatically listed when you use the search option for your LE/Dcd item!!!

COBI

Hmmm... this must have been changed overnight because it was the "old" version last night at about 10pm EST.

I hate when sites are updated away from more simple programming to include unnecessary flash programming. Who tells companies that they should do this? Is it more polished looking? Yes. But they are typically less user-friendly, and when sites are less user-friendly, users come back less often.

I believe it often includes more image-protection, etc. for the site owner, but it's frustrating to the user. I hope they don't do the same thing at the pro site.

Guinevere

I don't like it either.. It's like they think that updates are needed to keep it fresh and interesting, but if something's good, you don't need that, it's much more likely that people start to avoid the site, because of their dissapointement..

capmorlovesmac

If the website was info and marketing only I would say I really like it! The colour play feature looks awesome!

hmm.gif
But with the online store I agree that flash is needless and not user friendly here.
And the little squares to choose the colour you want?
WTF2.gif
Especially if there are a lot of different colours like with the eyeshadows it makes the looking for the right colour really annoying.
ssad.gif

peacelover18

I do like that they now have a Favorites feature.

But seriously - the design is awful - the swatches are so small and you have to scroll through all of them to get the color you want???

simplyenchantin

Quote:
Originally Posted by capmorlovesmac
And the little squares to choose the colour you want?
WTF2.gif
Especially if there are a lot of different colours like with the eyeshadows it makes the looking for the right colour really annoying.
ssad.gif

Omg, I just went and had a look and the eyeshadow page is effing horrible.

Winthrop44

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacelover18
I do like that they now have a Favorites feature.

But seriously - the design is awful - the swatches are so small and you have to scroll through all of them to get the color you want???

Exactly -- that is RIDICULOUS! How come they don't at least have shades listed by name in a drop-down list so you can go to what you want if you know a shade name?! The color swatches, while possibly more accurate (I'm not sure yet) are way too tiny, and I can't tell if they're arranged by color spectrum like they used to be or not -- but they should be; that was a very good thing IMO. If they are the usefulness of it is lost anyway due to the size of the swatches. Maybe that's to prompt us to go to the color playing area? Whatever. You can't search by texture anymore as far as I can tell either, so can't look at all lustre lipsticks or all cremesheens if you want to. So far...I hate it -- prettier but less useful.
girl_devil.gif

spectrolite

Apart from the flash animation that plays at the start which slows the site down, I really like it
thmbup.gif
The multimedia-designer in me is doing back flips. I like the sleek black look, the new menus, the colour charts, and the gorgeous photography which fills my 1680 x 1050 resolution beautifully. And I love the Artist in Action videos too!!

Shoegal-fr

Have you noticed on the B2M page, you can choose what type of packaging you're returning, but there is no empty brush cleanser bottle option!

Winthrop44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoegal-fr
Have you noticed on the B2M page, you can choose what type of packaging you're returning, but there is no empty brush cleanser bottle option!

I see that. I also see that they know what a dropdown list is, so why didn't they use any on the product pages? LOL

ritchieramone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blushbaby
I'm in the UK and I can't view it! Grrr!

I always have trouble seeing the site, but you can use the 'country chooser' option at the bottom of maccosmetics.co.uk. At the moment, you get an error, but I was able to get to the new US site by then deleting all the extra stuff after the .com. I don't know why this worked for me when typing in the address doesn't!

Anyway, here's a (clickable) screenshot of the new e/s page - I think it looks really user-unfriendly.
ssad.gif

Blushbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritchieramone
I always have trouble seeing the site, but you can use the 'country chooser' option at the bottom of maccosmetics.co.uk. At the moment, you get an error, but I was able to get to the new US site by then deleting all the extra stuff after the .com. I don't know why this worked for me when typing in the address doesn't!

Anyway, here's a (clickable) screenshot of the new e/s page - I think it looks really user-unfriendly.
ssad.gif

Thanks for the link. I tried that Country Chooser thingy and it still didn't work for me. I quite like the new look but that colour spectrum looks annoying and unrealistic.

Shoegal-fr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blushbaby
Thanks for the link. I tried that Country Chooser thingy and it still didn't work for me. I quite like the new look but that colour spectrum looks annoying and unrealistic.

Try to access any other mac website (.fr or other), when you get on one of these, then you click the country chooser and choose USA. You'll be able, i think.
I was in the same situation, i'm able to access maccosmetics.com only if i go to a website other than mine (french) and then click on the country chooser.