Paris out of jail... already???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Janice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmer
There's apparently a wee bit of a standoff because the Sheriff's dept says they don't have to go get her because the judge has no authority to bring her back.
Interesting.

Oh that's going to get UGLY.

Shimmer

ah. no.
the judge specifically said she had to appear in court, which is why she was just picked up by a sheriff's car while handcuffed, with a media circus all around her.

There was never any agreement with the courts and prosecutors that she appear by phone.

Janice:
It could get very ugly, especially if there is a miscarriage of the law by the sheriff's department as the punishment was laid out by the judge.
There was NO REASON for her to be let out of jail.
She's sad? So is every other inmate in the ciminal justice system in America.
Her herpes flared up? There's a hospital available to her IMMEDIATELY on hand with the LA County facility. Aside from that, being released to go home is not a viable solution, as it's not in a medically supervised environment.
She was depressed or detoxing? Again, not like ANY other inmate in the CJS doesn't endure the same thing.
She's innocent? Aren't they all.

MxAxC-_ATTACK

The judge is pretty ticked off at the sheriff. but thats about the extent of what can be done. just be ticked off.

Raerae

Quote:
There's apparently a wee bit of a standoff because the Sheriff's dept says they don't have to go get her because the judge has no authority to bring her back.
Interesting.

Like i said earlier... Once she's handed to the Sheriff's department, the Judge doesn't have any more authority. It's always up the the jail to decide how they want to carry out a sentence. Thats why things like "good behavior" and other things are availible once you get to jail, and not before. It's up to the jail systems to ultimateley decide how they want to implement the sentence.

*Stargazer*

She tried to just call in to the court, but that wouldn't fly apparently. I can't imagine why no one is telling her to stop pissing this judge off. She's already disrespected the court more than once and she's just continuing to attempt to do so. It's laughable to me. Not because of who she is, because I really couldn't care less, but because apparently money can't buy an intelligent advisor.

According to the streaming video on FOX, she's in a Sheriff's car right now on the way to court.

Janice

http://x17online.com/celebrities/par...on_her_way.php

oh.gif

Shimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raerae
Like i said earlier... Once she's handed to the Sheriff's department, the Judge doesn't have any more authority. It's always up the the jail to decide how they want to carry out a sentence. Thats why things like "good behavior" and other things are availible once you get to jail, and not before. It's up to the jail systems to ultimateley decide how they want to implement the sentence.

That's incorrect, otherwise the sentencing of "life without parole" would/could really mean "life until the department of criminal justice is tired of the inmate."

Raerae

Quote:
ah. no.
the judge specifically said she had to appear in court, which is why she was just picked up by a sheriff's car while handcuffed, with a media circus all around her.

There was never any agreement with the courts and prosecutors that she appear by phone.

I dunno they mentioned a few hours ago that she could phone in. I guess the judge is PMSing enough about this that he wants her in court.

Funny part is, this really doesn't have to do anything with Paris, she's not the decision maker in any of this lol. Not like she has any control over her sentence, or how it's carried out.

Beauty Mark

Is it sad that I thought "those are cute shoes"?

Seriously, though, I hope this gets taken care of ASAP and that whatever happens goes towards the greater good of how law is handled and not specifically aimed at Paris Hilton, because then this whole circus was a waste from more important issues. An amusing waste but considering everything else in the world- yeah.

Raerae

Quote:
That's incorrect, otherwise the sentencing of "life without parole" would/could really mean "life until the department of criminal justice is tired of the inmate."

I'm sure if you looked hard enough, you could find an example of someone with a life sentence that was raduced enough, where they got out. Typically though peole with life sentences are violent offenders, so I think you would have a hard time finding anyone giving compassion to one of them enough to let them out.

triccc

Quote:
Originally Posted by little teaser
i dont know about your prior convictions but you could of ask your attorney to see if the state attorney could of reinstated your probation.. you would of been on probation longer and would have to pay the double fees of probation. if your not a violent offender or habitual offender , i know there stricter when it comes to dui and they totally should be.

I didn't have an attorney, but it was what the state recommended. I asked the judge if he thought it was too harsh and he said no, so there was my sentence.

Mine wasn't a dui. no where close. I didn't have insurance. so my license was suspended, I didn't even know it was suspended when I was pulled over too. so I was put on probation, and expected to see a couselor once a month and pay 80 bucks a month for supervision. i refused.

Janice

Quote:

Funny part is, this really doesn't have to do anything with Paris, she's not the decision maker in any of this lol. Not like she has any control over her sentence, or how it's carried out.

Love you girl
heart.gif
, but damn, open some eyes here! Her (personal and familial) power, wealth, and privilege are opening doors that are not accessible to the layman. Straight up!

Raerae

Quote:

http://www.november.org/stayinfo/breaking2/Lifers.html

May 12, 2004 - The Associated Press
One Of 11 In Prison Serving Life Sentence
Policies Raise Number 83 Percent In Decade
By Siobhan McDonough, AP
Return to Drug War News: Don't Miss Archive

WASHINGTON-The number of prisoners serving life sentences has increased 83 percent in the past 10 years, as tough-on-crime initiatives have led to harsher penalties, a study says.

Nearly 128,000 people, or one of every 11 offenders in state and federal prisons, are serving life sentences, according to the study released yesterday by The Sentencing Project, a Washington-based group that promotes alternatives to prison. In 1992, 70,000 people had life sentences.

Nearly 17 percent of inmates in Massachusetts are serving life sentences.

The figures, compiled from the Federal Bureau of Prisons and state correctional agencies, also show that the average amount of time served by criminals given life sentences increased from 21 years in 1991 to 29 years in 1997.

The report said the increases are not the result of more crime, since violent crime fell significantly during the period covered by the study. Instead, the causes are primarily longer mandatory sentences and more restrictive parole and commutation policies.

[/quote]In Tennessee, for example, state law requires that any person sentenced to life with the possibility of parole serve at least 51 years before release is considered.[/quote]

Quote:
In Pennsylvania, all life sentences have been imposed without parole since the 1940s, but governors frequently commuted such sentences, doing so in more than 300 cases in the 1970s. But only one lifer has had a sentence commuted since 1995, the report said.

The report also points out that "three strikes" laws requiring life sentences for any third felony conviction are another cause for boosting the number of lifers. Many of those given such penalties are nonviolent drug offenders.

"The people serving life have committed serious offenses, but it doesn't mean that imposing life sentences across the board is always appropriate or the best crime control strategy," said Mark Mauer, assistant director of The Sentencing Project and coauthor of the study.

New York had the highest percentage of its state inmates serving life sentences, 19.4 percent, followed by Nevada, 18.6 percent; California, 18.1 percent; Alabama, 17.3 percent; and Massachusetts, 16.9 percent.

Kent Scheidegger, legal director of the Criminal Justice Legal Foundation in California, which favors stiff sentences, said people who commit serious crimes should not be treated easily.

"For the worst of murders the appropriate sentences are life without parole and death," he said. "If they've gotten life without parole, they've gotten off easy."

In 2003, one in four lifers was serving a sentence without possibility of parole; in 1992 it was one in six, according to the report. The study also found that in 1997, 90 percent of those serving life sentences were in prison for a violent offense, including 69 percent for murder.

"We can't say across the board none of them should have life sentences and conversely that the 90 percent that are in for violent crimes should be in for life," Mauer said. The report details how tougher standards have swollen the population of lifers, further straining the resources and capacity of state prison systems.

It costs $1 million to house a person sentenced to life in prison for 40 years, the report says. Mauer said that money could in some cases be better spent.

Copyright 2004 The New York Times Comp

-----------------------------------------------------

So yeh... Life w/out parole doesn't always mean life...

Raerae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janice
Love you girl
heart.gif
, but damn, open some eyes here! Her (personal and familial) power, wealth, and privilege are opening doors that are not accessible to the layman. Straight up!

I think it has more to do with her celebrity status, than her wealth. And popularity is availible to anyone with the motivation to go get it.

I mean c'mon... How many times has Snoop Dogg been arrested with drugs, weapons, and other things that are a lot more serious than Paris's driving with a suspended liscense. It's not like he's sitting in jail right now.

Popular people get treated differently. We all know this. But fame is availible to anyone, your not born with it.

lipstickandhate

In all honesty, most people who violate their DWI or DUI probation by driving the a suspended license ARE NOT SENT TO JAIL AT ALL. Seriously. Most of them just get it knocked down to a no points traffic violation since it's a misdemeanor. I don't like Paris Hilton but I have no idea why she was sent to jail in the first place.

Shimmer

Quote:
I'm sure if you looked hard enough, you could find an example of someone with a life sentence that was raduced enough, where they got out. Typically though peole with life sentences are violent offenders, so I think you would have a hard time finding anyone giving compassion to one of them enough to let them out.

I'm sure I could find an example of a life sentence reduced to x number of years.
However...consider the subject here.
She's not 'hated' because she's rich. She's not 'hated' because she's 'glamorous' (and I use that term LOOSELY). She's not 'hated' because she's famous.

What could people have against her?

Probably the absolutely tangible sense of entitlement that oozes from every one of her cocaine and methamphetamine juiced pores. Possibly the fact that she's done coke in public, smokes marijuana in public, had sex with attached men without any remorse, and everyone who is close to around or influenced by her winds up with some kind of chemical dependency issue.

Shimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipstickandhate
In all honesty, most people who violate their DWI or DUI probation by driving the a suspended license ARE NOT SENT TO JAIL AT ALL. Seriously. Most of them just get it knocked down to a no points traffic violation since it's a misdemeanor. I don't like Paris Hilton but I have no idea why she was sent to jail in the first place.

This is absolutely not true.
State of Texas has no qualms with sending someone violating DWI/DUI probation to jail for driving on a suspended license. None. None whatsoever.
Then again, this is Texas and that is California.

lipstickandhate

And FYI everyones: a DWI or DUI, contrary to popular belief, is not that big of a deal unless you kill someone. It's usually just a misdemeanor and you'll rarely get jail time. If you're an illegal immigrant in the State of NY, however, you may get deported.
You would be shocked and amazed how many people I've seen with 7+ misdemeanor DWI's who are still alking around and driving!! Its truly insane.

Status
Not open for further replies.