Pigment jars getting smaller; prices staying the same

TISH1124

Re: MAC pigments starting to come with less product for the same price?

well I am not sure about the weights......But I bought Cocomotion and Heritage Rouge and obviously Heritage Rouge is heavier if this is the case because it was filled to the rim and Cocomotion had a lot of empty top space..I have noticed this in several of my pigments ...not glitters because I don't buy glitters...I have even looked at one in the store and it was way low and she grabbed me another of the same color and it was to the rim...

I think...MY OPINION because I worked in a cosmetic mfg facility all my adult life...they just aren't getting all filled to specifications...every lot is spotted checked...so if you are running say 10,000 pigments on a line...Every random 100-200 they will pull and check one or two ...if they pull one that is right the line keeps moving...if they pull one that is low...they pull that one and notify the line to make sure they are filling them to the right level they do not weigh every jar trust me...it is a visual eye check and they do not go back and look at every jar....If this was done the cost of a pigment would be outrageous...because it would take days to fill 100 jars

Ambonee

Quote:
Originally Posted by erine1881
^^^oops, I meant 2.5 for the mattes, not 4.3 (or whatever it was). thanks doll!

Well I guess that helps clarify things a little as to anything. That's already been done. If your new one is the same weight as my old one...

Have you heard anything about any changes being made to the pigments packaging?

no problem
winks.gif

I haven't heard a peep
th_confused_new.gif
just the info on here...I hope they don't change the packaging...I like all my pigments looking the same.
nope.gif

I'll ask @ update too...see if we can get the same story lol.

Cinci

I called MACcosmetics customer service this morning to inquire about pigment fill levels. She physicially checked the inventory for me.. The vanilla pigment containers that they have at the moment are 7.5g. She checked a Brash and Bold and it was 4.3g. She compared the two and said that both are filled towards the top of the jars, so the volumes are about the same.

She indicated that they have not yet received any notice that the fill weights are going to be changing. I explained the discrepency on the website, and she is not sure if they are changing the fill volume on all future produced stock, or if it is just an error on the site and only some pigments that are lighter in weight are filled with 4.3g (but are still the same amount volumewise). She said that she would look into it and see if she could find anything out.

miinx

I just purchased a pink opal pigment from macpro.com, batch code A69, and it is 7.5g on the jar and just as full as ever.

Certain matte and metal pigments arent 7.5g, same goes for glitters, but this one is exactly the same in weight, fullness, and quality as all my older pigments.

I have noticed that brash and bold/push the edge are of a different formula that is far less dense than normal pigments.. much more akin to the 2.5g matte formulas, so perhaps thats why we're seeing the lower weights?

sleepyhead

yah, i don't think mac's lowering the quantity of their pigments either. remember Milk pigment released with hello kitty? it was 7.5g, and definitely made after overrich pigments.

ps: knowing mac, if they do decide to lower the weight, they'll probably use a new container that's twice as big with really thick walls, so people would think they are getting more product

lenchen

I mentioned that I saw the new jars at mac pro yesterday in the other thread, all races ages and sexes collection and they're like miniture mac nail polishes..I'm currently making my own list .. wanted pigments so I can can buy the older jars from the CCO.

Meisje

Sales of pigments will probably tank and sample sellers are going to have to raise prices so high noone will want to buy
ssad.gif

lilibat

This is such a disaster. I am beside myself. I keep hoping maybe if enough people complain they will change them back but some how I doubt it. Won't hurt to write about it though.

LMD84

i'm really upset about this... still
ssad.gif
i feel like mac has crapped all over us with this. i imagine pigment sales will plummet now

lilibat

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMD84
i'm really upset about this... still
ssad.gif
i feel like mac has crapped all over us with this. i imagine pigment sales will plummet now

So badly timed for them to do this when the economy is so terrible. They are going to lose previously loyal customers over this.

gildedangel

IMHO I love the new design of the jars, but it is bull to keep the price the same like that! I like the idea of making the jars smaller because I never really bought piggies because I was never going to use all of it up. This is even worse than dazzleglasses! I am going to be hitting up the CCO for the older jars!

Kragey

Are they just reducing the size of the actual jars, or are they reducing how much pigment they put in them as well? Regardless, the price increases are just really starting to grate on me...the economy is bad, I know that, but you're just upsetting your cash-strapped fans by upping the price of everything. Honestly, MAC is already too expensive; I won't be buying any of it if it becomes MORE expensive.

purrtykitty

I'm a little peeved about the jars, too...less about the actual jars and more about the price. I placed an order on the regular MAC site for a couple of pigments I'd been waiting to get...hopefully they'll be the larger ones. I was going to call MACPro today to get the other pro ones I wanted, but the call center is closed due to the snowstorm on the east coast.

Nicala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kragey
Are they just reducing the size of the actual jars, or are they reducing how much pigment they put in them as well? Regardless, the price increases are just really starting to grate on me...the economy is bad, I know that, but you're just upsetting your cash-strapped fans by upping the price of everything. Honestly, MAC is already too expensive; I won't be buying any of it if it becomes MORE expensive.

Both!
They're going from 7.5g to 4.5g.

This is ridiculous. I understand that business might not be as busy as it used to be because of the economy, but they're just digging themselves in a whole by reducing the amount that we get. Not just by 1 gram but by 3! AND keeping the price the same?! This is most likely going to make business go down for them. No thanks, Mac. I've got other brands to spend on where I will get more bang for my buck.

lilibat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1165Cheryl
Yep, check out mac pros site, they already changed the jar size. It's the same size as their richmetal collection but for the same price
ssad.gif

Oh crap. I hope the ones I ordered yesterday don't show up as the small ones. If they do I am going to be livid.

FiestyFemme

Not that I buy many pigments anymore, but that's just wrong! Not that I'll stop buying MAC, but I've already began to branch out to other brands. Some are more expensive, but you get more bang for your buck! And at the rate MAC is going, the other brands won't be that much more expensive before long. Booo, MAC. Booooo.