• As of January 16, 2018, all posts in this section are moderated. Please engage with the community within the rest of the forums, remembering that you may not post your own tutorial links outside this section. Also remember to put your content in the proper space.

Tutorials posted outside this space will be removed. If you post a tutorial in this space and you don't make an effort to participate in the community outside this section, your post will be deleted.

Pigment Pressing Tutorial

Dreamergirl3

oh P.S., I'm not sure if its dried *all* the way because it still reeks of alcohol. Anyone know how long it'll take til the alcohol goes away, if it does? Also, is it not eye-safe until the alcohol has evaporated? k thx!
**update** so far I like this...I just bought coco, so I figured even if I didnt like the outcome of pressing it,i could give it to a friend and have plently of my loose pigment to last me. I used about a half a tablespoon, and made mine semi-runny. It was thicker, but I didnt like the lumps so I added more alcohol. Since my pan was metal, I just mixed it right in, which made it less messy. They seem brighter in color, like when they're wet (probably because they're more compacted). The texture is heavier than usual shadows to me, a little thicker. But the pigmentation is still there, so you still only need a little to go along way, as if you were applying it loose.
My only gripe so far is that it's taking a while for the alcohol smell to go away. It probably will in a day or two, but for now its annoying. These little pans are great for traveling with pigment though!

black_crx

Perhaps I can use this method for my mineral e/s?? (Cory and Pure Luxe)
Can I left the e/s in the little sample jars and only mix with alcohol?

black_crx

Hello experts.. where are you??
smiles.gif

Another question: Can I do this also with MAC glitters??

cardiacx

I don't know if you can do it with glitters ( I don't have any to try out) But this post of livejournal tells your what formulations work well

http://community.livejournal.com/mac.../10685198.html

dokuya, when I did mine, the pigment didn't contract. It may just be the formulation of the pearls. When I did it I like put it on one side then just shook it till it went all around in the pan. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

black_crx

Some of the mineral e/s did not become solid. I do not know why not... They crumble directly after touching with brush.
ssad.gif

Dreamergirl3

Perhaps it is because they are minerals? Though I've heard this method is successful with Bare Escentuals loose shadows. Maybe try making the mixture with more alcohol?

laeticia

its such a great idea, but is there a reason why it doesnt work as well with minerals e/s? i have some which i never use

glittergoddess27

Uhmm,.. nope,.. you have to add the glitters to something else,.. they are too grainy and do not stay together,.. not even the super fine Reflects,.. I also could not get this to work with the Pearlizers,.. they were too soft when done,.. different texture,.. but it worked like a charm with my piggs of all brands,.. MAC, Real Colors, True Colors, Hypnotics, L'Oreal, Pearl Ex, and a few custom mixes of them,...

keo

Quote:
Originally Posted by glittergoddess27
Uhmm,.. nope,.. you have to add the glitters to something else,.. they are too grainy and do not stay together,.. not even the super fine Reflects,.. I also could not get this to work with the Pearlizers,.. they were too soft when done,.. different texture,.. but it worked like a charm with my piggs of all brands,.. MAC, Real Colors, True Colors, Hypnotics, L'Oreal, Pearl Ex, and a few custom mixes of them,...

I've considered using Pearl Ex as eyeshadows too, but is it eye-safe?

aznsmurfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJones
great idea!

I had this wonderful pot lying around.... cheapo e/s, almost empty and it fits so well for MAC pigments...

here's my potted coco & choc brown

cocochocbrown.jpg

wow that's gorgeous!

glittergoddess27

Quote:
Originally Posted by keo
I've considered using Pearl Ex as eyeshadows too, but is it eye-safe?

The word from Jaquard is that this product is non-toxic but it is NOT cosmetically tested. Sooo I would say in the general sense NO to the eyesafe question and would caution you to use it at your own risk. I am not sensitive to anything so far and I mix it with eyeliner mixing medium,.. and Mehron mixing medium which makes it stay put and DO NOT use it on my waterline ever,......I have been using it for a year this way with no problems.

aznsmurfy

I updated with some pics of newly pressed pigments, couldn't take swatch pictures cuz I can't figure out how to make the swatches show up w/o looking washed out! ^_^ I will keep experimenting though!
smiles.gif

kim421

Hello! Thank you so much for this post! I tried it out with my Bare Minerals E/S and IT WORKED! It almost seemed too easy! It was definitely messy, but loads of fun! Here's a picture of my result:

eyetest.jpg

Latest posts