• As of January 16, 2018, all posts in this section are moderated. Please engage with the community within the rest of the forums, remembering that you may not post your own tutorial links outside this section. Also remember to put your content in the proper space.

Tutorials posted outside this space will be removed. If you post a tutorial in this space and you don't make an effort to participate in the community outside this section, your post will be deleted.

Pigment Pressing Tutorial

bAbY_cHiCkEn01

Call me stupid but what alcohol do you use... rubbing alcohol or what???
tong.gif

bellaetoile

where did those clam shell containers come from? i must have some! thanks SO much for the hard work that went into this tutorial! the pictures are amazing and i MUST try this soon.

i've totally done this with broken shadows
ssad.gif
... and it works.. but it comes off on brushes way easier so i have to handle the shadow lightly... unless i missed a step..

aznsmurfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOOTOPiA
is there an alternate substitute for this method besides the alcohol?

I've thought about using Mixing Medium or visine or saline solution but haven't gotten around to trying it.
smiles.gif

bebs

omg.. that looks like so much fun

I'm still afraid to try it though I want to see the results in a few weeks before trying it my self.

mizfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznsmurfy
I've thought about using Mixing Medium or visine or saline solution but haven't gotten around to trying it.
smiles.gif

I think I might try it with mixing medium when I get the bottle.

Is there a reason why the alcohol seems to work so well? I'm just a little irky about mixing that with the pigments.

aeni

alcohol kills the bacteria but if you've ever taken chemistry, you definitely got to know how much etc etc. experiment with the cheap stuff first and have fun mixing.

let the e/s dry for awhile naturally and exposed to the air (away from any flame or else that isopropyl will go foof!). it'll set and ta da!

what kind of mixing medium? i can only think of acrylic medium and i dont think you'd want to use that...

mizfit

aeni, i had the water base mixing medium in mind.

i tried it yesterday with green brown pigment (didn't think it would work) and it actually dried by today. it's ugly though cuz i didn't press it, just mixed them together in a shadow pan lol.

so my question is -- is that a bad idea? you said the alcohol kills the bacteria and since the water base has no alcohol, would this dried pigment be a breeding ground for bacteria? i was just experimenting.

Bass-0-Matic

About the mineral e/s pigments not pressing well. It probably depends on the brands but MAC pigments have that whole long list of ingredients that help they adhere to the skin. Most mineral mu companies try to use the least amount of additives so they can say their product is pure, though perhaps not as easy to work with. This may be why the mineral e/s are not working for some people.