Pronounce PLUMAGE

HeavenLeiBlu

As long as I've ever known the word, I've known it to be pronounced ploo-mij.

This MAC shadow must be selling really well, but the way, because this is the 3rd time I've had to ask for it over the past 2 months (finally got it today
mac_haul.gif
), and each and every MAC MA has looked at me funny, then pronounced it PLUM-ij after I point it out.
th_dunno.gif

I just looked up the word on every dictionary I own, and it's being charted the way I've always been familiar with. What gives at MAC, or all three of these gals a little phonetically challenged?

pinktraits

Who would what an eyeshadow called PLUM-ij, it'd remind people of a u-bend. Ick.
It's Ploom-ij, like that of a bird, which I believe is where the color name comes from, remencent(sp) of a peacock's coloring.

mizuki~

Hmm..I thought it was plum-ij too lol but I see on dictionary.com that it's actually ploo-mij. Weird. I guess like myself, these MAs have been saying it wrong
tong.gif

HeavenLeiBlu

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinktraits
Who would what an eyeshadow called PLUM-ij, it'd remind people of a u-bend. Ick.
It's Ploom-ij, like that of a bird, which I believe is where the color name comes from, remencent(sp) of a peacock's coloring.

this is exactly what I was thinking... but I thought better than to correct them and explain, since they're already looking at me like
th_confused_new.gif

BunnyBunnyBunny

I have always called it Ploomidge.

Some people (including artists) do not know how to pronounce some of our products.

My favorites are Lame (with an accent on it) which is pronounced "lamay" but some people actually call it "lame", and Gesso which is "jess-oh" which some people like to call "guess-oh".

I want to know how to say Well-plumed from the Well-plumed quad. "Well plum'd" or "Well ploomed"?

Loveleighe

lol you're not crazy it doesn't match phonetically with the way MAC people pronounce it but don't feel bad about getting looks. I had a customer ask me to see our loos-tra lipsticks my co-worker was like WTF... it took me a minute but i was like oooh okay the lust-ers.

poker face

I've always pronounced it as "ploom-ij". I used to pronounce it really weird with an accent on the last syllable, but then the kind folks at my counter corrected me.

HeavenLeiBlu

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyBunnyBunny

Some people (including artists) do not know how to pronounce some of our products.

My favorites are Lame (with an accent on it) which is pronounced "lamay" but some people actually call it "lame", and Gesso which is "jess-oh" which some people like to call "guess-oh".

I want to know how to say Well-plumed from the Well-plumed quad. "Well plum'd" or "Well ploomed"?

th_LMAO.gif
Lame is my favorite. I love hearing people stumble over it. My friend and I actually have an inside joke about it. I wonder if those MAs have had this very same conversation about ME over plumage? LOL

aziajs

I have always heard ploo-mah-j.

I hate Lame because the accent mark on the bottom of that lipstick is so tiny. I was one of the customers to say lame, at which point I was quickly corrected.

Well-plumed is pronounced well-ploomed.

CantAffordMAC

At least u guys arent dumb enough to go in and ask for viva glam v. Not Viva Glam 5, but Viva Glam V.

Im so LAME (pronounced LAMAY) lmao
th_rolleye0014.gif

HeavenLeiBlu

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantAffordMAC
At least u guys arent dumb enough to go in and ask for viva glam v. Not Viva Glam 5, but Viva Glam V.

Im so LAME (pronounced LAMAY) lmao
th_rolleye0014.gif

I suppose that's better than asking for a Viva Glam I-I-I or a Viva glam I-V!
yes.gif

LuvinMyMAC

This is so funny. I got one last week for my B2M and when I went to the MA I pronounced it wrong!!!!! She pronounced it ploo-mij. And here it was I thought I was the only one having problems with the name.
smiles.gif

Dayjoy

I just had a MUA call this ploo-MAHJ, accent on the mahj just last week. It sounded really French and cool.

captodometer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayjoy
I just had a MUA call this ploo-MAHJ, accent on the mahj just last week. It sounded really French and cool.

I agree with this pronunciation; it is spelled as if it were French. "plum-ij" is English.

Brule would be pronounced as "broo lay" and Lame as "lah may" Both French also. But the diacritical mark got left out, by either MAC or most of the people typing the word: brulé(e) or lamé(e) would be the appropriate spelling, depending upon gender. Without the accent, the words would be pronounced as "brool" and "lahm" in French, as "e" at the end of a word following a consonant would normally be silent.

aziajs

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenLeiBlu
I suppose that's better than asking for a Viva Glam I-I-I or a Viva glam I-V!
yes.gif

I think I may go in and ask for Viva Glam I I I just for shits and giggles.

FiestyFemme

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyBunnyBunny

iagree.gif

I've always called it ploo-mij... like pinktraits said, it's got to do with feathers on a bird. Guess it just one of those words I happen to know, 'cause I definitely don't know how to pronounce all of MAC's names. If I'm not sure, I'll just like "yeah this one" or "how do you say this?"
lol.gif

Bunny you made me laugh about Gesso. I've always pronounced it jess-oh in my head, but I've definitely heard people on YouTube say guess-oh and I'm like huh?

wifey806

Well at least you didn't ask your MUA for "man-ish" and he was like "you mean' Mahn-neesh'?" lol :p

snowflakelashes

Oh this made me gigigle, not that I'm any expert on how to pronounce things. I would have thought it was Plumage (Ploo {like Blue} mage) you know like the feathers of a bird kind... b/c its a peacock color (the color description on the canadian site even says "Dusty Peacock (Matte)" That's why I thought it was said that way
smiles.gif
If it was a purple color I would understand where the PLUM- age was coming from... ?
smiles.gif

PS Bunny and others those made me giggle...people are so CUTE sometimes!

Latest posts