Pronounce PLUMAGE

wifey806

BTW, while we're at it, how do I say the following?? I'll tell you how I say it, but I think i'm wrong!!

-Folie (fall-ey)
-coquette (co-ket)
-haux (hoe) heehee
-Nehru (new-rue)

mizuki~

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifey806
Well at least you didn't ask your MUA for "man-ish" and he was like "you mean' Mahn-neesh'?" lol :p

I've been saying man-ish all this friggin' time...

wifey806

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizuki~
I've been saying man-ish all this friggin' time...

i know, right?! and I though i was cool cause i knew about this "exclusive" collection. he brought me back down to earth hella fast!
th_LMAO.gif

jardinaires

it's ploo-mij. just like soft ochre paint pot is not soft oke-ra, it's oke-er. and in my opinion, brule eyeshadow is not broo-lay, but brool. because there is no accent over the e, nor are there two e's. in my opinion, folie is not folly, but foe-lee, like the french word for madness. fig 1 is not said as figure one, but literally fig one, seeing as the color is purple like the coloring of a fig.

the only shadow i have no freaking idea about is haux. hawks? i guess?

Deirdre

I'll bet the Danse collection wrought havoc in the pronunciation department. Hahaha, I'll have a "jeet" and a "pass de dux" please.
greengrin.gif

I've always jokingly said "Lame" in my head, but "lamay" out loud. It's that extensive (tongue in cheek) French Canadian that is taught to all us Canadian highschoolers. Hooray for French that works only with non-French speaking people!

snowflakelashes

jardinaires - thats what I think about folie too, that it's from the french b/c of the way its spelled.

As for haux, I think "Hoe" is close, to how I would say it only because I would say aux like "Oh" in english , as well as Faux (Foe) I would have thought it rhymed with those
smiles.gif

Zero Clue on how to pronounce Nehru properly thought, I read it as Nee-Rue... but I don't think that's right lol
smiles.gif

rt66chix

Since we're on this topic, I have to bring up my favorite. Its a rare one, but its SO CHAUD lipstick.
I've heard "so chode" sooo often, but i dont like correcting people. Its pronounced "so show" meaning "so hot" in french.
Lame is classic, and hearing "mini mauve" always makes me wanna giggle.

rt66chix

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowflakelashes
jardinaires - thats what I think about folie too, that it's from the french b/c of the way its spelled.

As for haux, I think "Hoe" is close, to how I would say it only because I would say aux like "Oh" in english , as well as Faux (Foe) I would have thought it rhymed with those
smiles.gif

Zero Clue on how to pronounce Nehru properly thought, I read it as Nee-Rue... but I don't think that's right lol
smiles.gif

"NAY roo"

erine1881

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyBunnyBunny
I want to know how to say Well-plumed from the Well-plumed quad. "Well plum'd" or "Well ploomed"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aziajs
I have always heard ploo-mah-j.

Well-plumed is pronounced well-ploomed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayjoy
I just had a MUA call this ploo-MAHJ, accent on the mahj just last week. It sounded really French and cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by captodometer
I agree with this pronunciation; it is spelled as if it were French. "plum-ij" is English.

Brule would be pronounced as "broo lay" and Lame as "lah may" Both French also. But the diacritical mark got left out, by either MAC or most of the people typing the word: brulé(e) or lamé(e) would be the appropriate spelling, depending upon gender. Without the accent, the words would be pronounced as "brool" and "lahm" in French, as "e" at the end of a word following a consonant would normally be silent.

agreed on all of the above. well ploomed, plu-mahj (emphasis on the end), broo-lay and lah-may.

Quote:
BTW, while we're at it, how do I say the following?? I'll tell you how I say it, but I think i'm wrong!!

-Folie (fall-ey)
-coquette (co-ket)
-haux (hoe) heehee
-Nehru (new-rue)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jardinaires

foe-lee
coe-ket
hoe
nay-roo

my coworker told me this from when she worked out in cali. phloof! was pee-loof and satin taupe was satan's toupee!

sharkbytes

Quote:

-Folie (fall-ey)
-coquette (co-ket)
-haux (hoe) heehee
-Nehru (new-rue)

Half right! Folie is Foh-lee, and Nehru is either nay-roo or nuh-roo
smiles.gif
Folie is French for "madness"

Jello89

Plumage is the feathers covering a bird(lol) In french. And its pronounced Ploo-mahj the oo is a really short an sharp u sound. Cant think of how to write it...
Nehru...no idea
Coquette is cute/pretty/flirty
Is Lame the lipstick?
In french Lame is a blade and Lamé is something with a blade. Or sharpened. I dunno...maybe its also something else i dont know.

captodometer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jardinaires
it's ploo-mij. just like soft ochre paint pot is not soft oke-ra, it's oke-er. and in my opinion, brule eyeshadow is not broo-lay, but brool. because there is no accent over the e, nor are there two e's. in my opinion, folie is not folly, but foe-lee, like the french word for madness. fig 1 is not said as figure one, but literally fig one, seeing as the color is purple like the coloring of a fig.

Politely disagreeing: ploo-mij is definitely the word if you speak American Standard English: I'm from Georgia and everyone I know would pronounce it this way. I think Pluh-mij is more likely it if you speak British Standard like most of the rest of the world: currently living in New Zealand and the Kiwis say it this way, at least when they are talking to me about their pet bird's feathers. The francophone world would indeed say ploo(pluh)-mahjzh: "age" is a common word ending(dressage, decolletage, etc).

Makeup(le maquillage) is masculine gender in French. Brûler is the verb meaning " to burn" Burned as an adjective referring to something masculine such as makeup would be "brûlé" Creme brûlée has two e's because la creme is feminine. I'm just assuming that MAC left out the accent over the "e", as the hat(it's a diacritical mark also but I can't remember what it's called) over the "u" is also missing. Brule eyeshadow is kind of a burnt cream color?

"aux" in French is pronounced as "oh" So Haux(means "high" in French) is indeed pronounced as "hoe" or "hoh" As long as no one puts a "w" in front of the phonetic spelling, it's all good
cutey.gif

chocolategoddes

lol at "so chode" and "satan's toupee"

Once, i asked a ma to get me nocturnelle but said "nok-turn-le" and then she said, "oh.. you mean 'nok-turn-el'"

i thought it was "ploom-ah-zsh"... since it sounds french.
its kind of like Givenchy actually being pronounced "jee-vauhn-she" cuz its french.

chocolategoddes

lol at "so chode" and "satan's toupee"

Once, i asked a ma to get me nocturnelle but said "nok-turn-le" and then she said, "oh.. you mean 'nok-turn-el'"

i thought it was "ploom-ah-zsh"... since it sounds french.
its kind of like Givenchy actually being pronounced "jee-vauhn-she" cuz its french.

rt66chix

Quote:
Originally Posted by erine1881
my coworker told me this from when she worked out in cali. phloof! was pee-loof and satin taupe was satan's toupee!

satan's toupee!!! I Love it. I can guarantee you no one in southern california says that, but now i'm gonna think it every time I look at it. Thanks a lot Erine
th_LMAO.gif

Also, whenever I see "pink venus" I think in my head "pink (naughty word that rhymes with "venus"). I'm afraid one day I'm gonna blurt it out loud to an old lady or something.

Heiaken

Quote:
Originally Posted by captodometer
The francophone world would indeed say ploo(pluh)-mahjzh: "age" is a common word ending(dressage, decolletage, etc).

Makeup(le maquillage) is masculine gender in French. Brûler is the verb meaning " to burn" Burned as an adjective referring to something masculine such as makeup would be "brûlé" Creme brûlée has two e's because la creme is feminine. I'm just assuming that MAC left out the accent over the "e", as the hat(it's a diacritical mark also but I can't remember what it's called) over the "u" is also missing. Brule eyeshadow is kind of a burnt cream color?

As a Finn this is how I would pronounce these names.
Just also wanting to add that you can't even understand the diffuculties we Finns can have pronouncing for example english names
winks.gif

Here's a little video for you so you can listen what Finnish sounds like:
Täydellinen meikkipohja – Ellit – Plaza

thelove4tequila

I say ploo-mahj also. I love this thread. I'm getting a little grammer refreshment and talking about makeup at the same time.