Pronounce PLUMAGE

jardinaires

Quote:
Originally Posted by captodometer
"aux" in French is pronounced as "oh" So Haux(means "high" in French) is indeed pronounced as "hoe" or "hoh" As long as no one puts a "w" in front of the phonetic spelling, it's all good
cutey.gif

see, i know that, but when i went to purchase that shadow the MA looked at my like i was lost. i just ended up having to spell it for her, and she said it some weird way that i cannot remember but it definitely involved the "x" sound. i give up, in reference to that eye shadow. haha.

Booyahkasha

Quote:
Originally Posted by jardinaires
see, i know that, but when i went to purchase that shadow the MA looked at my like i was lost. i just ended up having to spell it for her, and she said it some weird way that i cannot remember but it definitely involved the "x" sound. i give up, in reference to that eye shadow. haha.

oh no that's just so wrong...you should have schooled her..ohh my quebec ears are burning..

k.a.t

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyBunnyBunny
I have always called it Ploomidge.

Some people (including artists) do not know how to pronounce some of our products.

My favorites are Lame (with an accent on it) which is pronounced "lamay" but some people actually call it "lame", and Gesso which is "jess-oh" which some people like to call "guess-oh".

I want to know how to say Well-plumed from the Well-plumed quad. "Well plum'd" or "Well ploomed"?

I say "guess-oh" and "plum-ij"...haha i'm so retarded
tong.gif

ms.marymac

I always thought that the letter H was silent in French. I went to a online French dictionary that pronounces words for you and Haux was pronounced like "O".
th_confused_new.gif

I have heard about Satan's Toupe! Whoever called it that will go down in history...lol! We had a conversation about this very subject at Update. Some other's I've heard are:

Velvetella-"Velveeta"
VGVI-"Viva Glam Vee"
VGV-"Viva Glam Vie"
Pinkarat-Pink a Rat, Pink Rat
Phloof-"Poof!" It was close but still made me smile
Media-"Mah-deeya" (like the character in a movie)

franimal

I looked up Manish, and supposedly it is pronounced "muh-neesh"

Weird! I was saying "man-ish" as well. I feel like a dumbass
ssad.gif

DominicanBarbie

ugh don't feel bad. I say Gee-so and no one has corrected me yet. They probably just laugh when I leave.I also say man-ish and Plum-ij... I would so fail at makeup grammer 101.
smiles.gif

SingFrAbsoltion

Quote:
Originally Posted by captodometer
I agree with this pronunciation; it is spelled as if it were French. "plum-ij" is English.

So saying it the French way is still correct, right? "plum-ij" sounds weird to me.

calbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyahkasha
oh no that's just so wrong...you should have schooled her..ohh my quebec ears are burning..

in regards to the MA pronouncing Haux with the 'x' - that is one you end up doing if you don't wanna spend your day arguing with customers. Trust me - after awhile it's just easier to say it that way.

I do however pronounce plummage...'ploo mahj' but that's only when i'm in a good mood ;-)

Jello89

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms.marymac
I always thought that the letter H was silent in French. I went to a online French dictionary that pronounces words for you and Haux was pronounced like "O".
th_confused_new.gif

I have heard about Satan's Toupe! Whoever called it that will go down in history...lol! We had a conversation about this very subject at Update. Some other's I've heard are:

Velvetella-"Velveeta"
VGVI-"Viva Glam Vee"
VGV-"Viva Glam Vie"
Phloof-"Poof!" It was close but still made me smile
Media-"Mah-deeya" (like the character in a movie)

It is silent. It just gives a tiny change in how the word is said.

MACgirl

I just say hoax when it comes to pronouncing haux, i dont like to flat out say " may i have hoe?, , lol. heres some ive heard or overheard over the years

parfait amour- par-fate aim-her
sumptuous olive- sump two-us olive
blanc type- blank type
tete-a-tint- tit a tint (LOL)
rule - roo lay (LOL)
dubonnet- Doo Bonnet
morange- more orange
creme d' nude- cremied nude
shitaki- shit a key

Mabelle

Haux would actually be pronounced more like "O". The H's are almost silent yes. Hoe would be a close second.
My name is Heather. Francophones have a hell of a time saying my name. It;s always Eder. Heeter. Eiter.
tete a tint would be more like tate a tint. theres an accent over the 1st e in tete... its the accent sirconflex(sp?!) . the ^ , the hat.

Gesso is indeed Jesso. It's a primer. It looks a lot like paint and is white (usually). I use it alot when making maquettes.

II3rinII

ok heres one: brun... some of us say brun like rhymes with run. some say broon. so which is it? also we've debated over little vi. is it little vye, little vee or little 6?

II3rinII

ok heres one: brun... some of us say brun like rhymes with run. some say broon. so which is it? also we've debated over little vi. is it little vye, little vee or little 6?

captodometer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabelle
Haux would actually be pronounced more like "O". The H's are almost silent yes. Hoe would be a close second.
My name is Heather. Francophones have a hell of a time saying my name. It;s always Eder. Heeter. Eiter.
tete a tint would be more like tate a tint. theres an accent over the 1st e in tete... its the accent sirconflex(sp?!) . the ^ , the hat.

That sounds kind familiar for the ^
yes.gif
I'm thinking that it may be called a circumflex? The left slanting symbol like é is an accent aigu, the right slanting one is an accent grave.

And you are just out of luck in the francophone world, at least as far as your name is concerned
tong.gif
H is aspirated but just slightly, and th is usually just spoken as t.

Brun(brown) is masculine, pronounced something like bruh(n). The n is barely pronounced because it's at the end of the word and not followed by a vowel. But to make it feminine, you have to add an e. So the word becomes brune, and would be pronounced as broon.

Mabelle

^ exacly, the n is barley pronounced. it;s cut short.
like... br-uhn

And yes, i know im screwed with the francophones. I live in montreal, so i hear a different variation of my name everyday. I dont mind. The only thing that sucks is because i have such an english name people thing i can't speak french. booo
yes, you're right about the names of the accents. circonflexe, grave and egu.

TehK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms.marymac

uh... what is it supposed to be?!? i've always called it pink a rat

MAC_Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by II3rinII

It is Little 6
winks.gif

For those asking about the pronunciation of Plumage, here it is (American): plumage definition - Dictionary - MSN Encarta

CantAffordMAC

I was saying Man-ish the ENTIRE time. Man-ish Uh-rora. Damn it!

I was saying Palatial as Puh-lat-ee-uhll

Aaaaand I still dont know how to say tete a tint. Which sucks cuz I REALLY want that eyeshadow. I pronounce it Teet-uh-tint. What a dumb name! What does tete a tint meeeeeean??

This is the best thread ever lol

Mabelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantAffordMAC
I was saying Man-ish the ENTIRE time. Man-ish Uh-rora. Damn it!

I was saying Palatial as Puh-lat-ee-uhll

Aaaaand I still dont know how to say tete a tint. Which sucks cuz I REALLY want that eyeshadow. I pronounce it Teet-uh-tint. What a dumb name! What does tete a tint meeeeeean??

This is the best thread ever lol

tete is like tate. like... tater.
the exact translation is head as held.
tint comes from the verb tenir, which means to hold. tete means head.