This just in: Price increase 2009

darkwater_soul

This is how I describe it to customers that complain about high prices -

Our products are made in the best way, with the best ingredients, and we try to keep the cost as competitive as possible. Take advantage of our services that we offer for FREE (or with purchase) to make your buying power go further and to get the best bang for your buck. Looking for a new eye look, but not sure what to do? Get a makeover, buy your minimum (which is amazing to me why more people don't do this) and not only do you have your makeup done for you, but you LEARN how to do it, get the RIGHT product you love, and you haven't wasted a cent (because you aren't taking a chance on a product you haven't tested, and the makeover is free when you spend the minimum, which is nothing, like 3.5 products).
smiles.gif
Or, in my case also - (Origins) I offer everyone a free facial when you come in (even if you are getting a simple cleanser) or a massage, to make your money seem like it's going farther. The services are essentially FREE, take them!!!!!

VeXedPiNk

You do get what you pay for, and the price increases certainly won't stop me from buying MAC.

BUT: It really does suck that they have to increase their prices again. Because every price increase makes me more aware of how much I'm spending. Now I really contemplate my hauls, rather than just impulse buying. Which is good for my bank account, I suppose, but I'm an impulse buyer by habit... I make money to spend money, and like it to go as far as possible.

panther27

Well,this won't stop me from buying,but I already had decided to slow down after Hello Kitty anyway.

darkwater_soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by color_lover456
yea i know i've looked at estee lauder's financial statements and their products cost about 1/4 of what they retail for. that means that a $14 lipgloss costs less than $4 to make...

That may be so, but that's the flat cost of manufacturing. You have to pay for the materials to be shipped to you, the cost of shipping to stores, cost of advertising, making promotional materials (like the California Dream lippie that NO ONE PAID FOR) the stores to be open, all bills that go with the plants and stores to operate and be open, leases for all the retail stores, the amount of damages and returns that the company east every year and of course, paying all employees from the factories to the stores, and training them all so they can assist you. A lot of money goes into that lipgloss that no one ever thinks of, and I know this year that EL has done a TON of cutting back in all companies, at all levels (even the higher ups) to not have to pass on more price hikes.

Miss QQ

WTF2.gif
thmbdn.gif
angry.gif

This sucks, and it really means that I'll have to remove maybe one or two items from my list for each collection.
cry.gif
ssad.gif

user79

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeXedPiNk
You do get what you pay for, and the price increases certainly won't stop me from buying MAC.

I don't think the high prices are justified, and yeah, the high prices of MAC in Europe is making me spend way less on this brand. That's why I use other brands now and order makeup online, MAC is just too expensive here. I don't think the high prices mean the products are any better now than before.

TISH1124

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkwater_soul
That may be so, but that's the flat cost of manufacturing. You have to pay for the materials to be shipped to you, the cost of shipping to stores, cost of advertising, making promotional materials (like the California Dream lippie that NO ONE PAID FOR) the stores to be open, all bills that go with the plants and stores to operate and be open, leases for all the retail stores, the amount of damages and returns that the company east every year and of course, paying all employees from the factories to the stores, and training them all so they can assist you. A lot of money goes into that lipgloss that no one ever thinks of, and I know this year that EL has done a TON of cutting back in all companies, at all levels (even the higher ups) to not have to pass on more price hikes.

The actual mfg of the gloss costs far less than $4 each too...So it has to be all the other dynamics involved...We make colognes for $2.50 that clients sell for $65 dollars Plus they know we will buy it so it doesn't matter if the overhead cost out weigh the profit or not...Every company is about making as much money as they can...not about breaking even...Sucks but it's just life

spacegirl2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkwater_soul
This is how I describe it to customers that complain about high prices -

Our products are made in the best way, with the best ingredients, and we try to keep the cost as competitive as possible. Take advantage of our services that we offer for FREE (or with purchase) to make your buying power go further and to get the best bang for your buck. Looking for a new eye look, but not sure what to do? Get a makeover, buy your minimum (which is amazing to me why more people don't do this) and not only do you have your makeup done for you, but you LEARN how to do it, get the RIGHT product you love, and you haven't wasted a cent (because you aren't taking a chance on a product you haven't tested, and the makeover is free when you spend the minimum, which is nothing, like 3.5 products).
smiles.gif
Or, in my case also - (Origins) I offer everyone a free facial when you come in (even if you are getting a simple cleanser) or a massage, to make your money seem like it's going farther. The services are essentially FREE, take them!!!!!

well not everyone lives near a store or counter, though...

darkwater_soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacegirl2007
well not everyone lives near a store or counter, though...

That's very true...very good point.
smiles.gif

GlamYOURUs

Thank God I have completed my collection within a year. This is why I don't post much anymore. Or buy on impulse, Its too much. I don't event want to look at the new collections or what they have to offer b/c it will strike an urge to buy buy buy! lol

spacegirl2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlamYOURUs
Thank God I have completed my collection within a year. This is why I don't post much anymore. Or buy on impulse, Its too much. I don't event want to look at the new collections or what they have to offer b/c it will strike an urge to buy buy buy! lol

honestly ive not been that impressed with the end-of-year collections. im excited for chill but thats all ive wanted, pretty much.

GlamYOURUs

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacegirl2007
honestly ive not been that impressed with the end-of-year collections. im excited for chill but thats all ive wanted, pretty much.

I am not a believer in MAC Returns but I did return my cool eyes holiday palette.
ssad.gif
I went through my self made palettes and found dupes. All I bought there two dazzleglasses and that was it. I am not even going to buy much in the upcoming ones or maybe nothing at all.

benzito_714

damn son! this is ri-damn-diculous. i am writing mac a dear john letter! i have to get out of this relationship.

abbyquack

blow me. I'm done buying tons of mac. i'm annoyed that especially with this economy, they're raising prices. maybe they're suffering too, but they're going to suffer a lot more if they raise prices and none of us buy as much.

Oh no! I hope it doesn't go up in Australia. MAC is already really expensive over here, and is one of the most expensive cosmetics brand worldwide! I hope they give us a relative justification as to why!! They should have clearance sales at MAC counters n stores!

II3rinII

we just got our list. i know sharpeners are going up to $5 (wtf), mineralize skinfinish natural will be $26, and satinfinish will be $27 or $28 (i forget). i only skimmed the list so i cant remember if anything that just went up, went up again or if its just the remaining items that did not increase the last time. sorry ladies =(