To my Desi/South Asian sisters out there! And everyone else too, actually! :)

exoticarbcqen

im a nc 40-42 and im paki/middle eastern and I use strobe cream and hate it, it dosent do crap for me and im considered light skinned by alot of pakistani people. im just trying to use it up so I can use it for B2M.

ohsosparkly

hey just wanted to share my latest MAC makeover info- I've included the chart for reference. I got so many compliments saying I was 'glowing' after I left the dept store!!

Me: C6 Studio Fix and NW40 Concealer

Eyes:
Highlight: Ricepaper
Eyelid: Painterly pot and Goldmine
Crease: Texture
Outer Lid: Humid
Eyeliner and lower lid: Femme Noir
Eyeliner top lid: Blacktrack Fluidline

Cheeks
Contour: Deep Dark Mineralize Powder
Blush: Sunbasque

Lips
Pencil: Stripdown
Lipstick: Viva Glam V
Lipglass: Love Nectar

*Star Violet*

Hi, I'm half Pakistani, half Indian...NW 30. I just tried a goldenish MSF Skin Finish over my usual face routine and it looks fab...If you're using bronzer and look too dark, I would suggest going a shade lighter with you're foundation and then applying bronzer but what will look amazing is if you highlight with MSF in a niece goldenish tone. It looks very pretty with women of colour...and as for eyeshadows, we're lucky we can try anything we want....go crazy with the colour...I know I do...
I actually stopped wearing eyeliner, I line my water line everyday and always put on mascara...if your eyeliner smudges when you line the bottom...line your waterline, top and bottom and blink real fast a couple of times and you'll get that nice mysterious look that Rani Mukarjee has...
thmbup.gif

LatteGoodness

So I tried waterlining with my L'Oreale HIP eyeliner creme/gel that I bought a while ago and there was absolutely no smudging, no running! I also went over it with a eyeliner pencil... next time I will try to dip the pencil into the gel for easier application. Finally I found an eyeliner that doesn't run!!
yahoo.gif

And dang it, I still need to do a FOTD with Rani's makeup... will get to it, promise!!

mocha_queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlamYOURUs
All of the above with more emphasis on the kohl rimmed eyes. Most of our eyes are almond shaped or round. So black rimmed eyes make our eyes stand out even more.

Exactly!
I wear kajal almost all the time...it just makes the eyes pop...especially browns and dark browns
n606653987_301838_3908.jpg

I have started using Golden Bronze Iridescent powder and it gives skin that healthy glow.
Silver Dusk is great too...if you know how to use it right.

mocha_queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatteGoodness
I got all excited yesterday and bought L'Oreal's HIP Color Truth cream eyeliner. Less than impressed with the liner brush it comes with, but that doesn't matter as I'm gonna use my SmashBox eyeliner brush instead.
smiles.gif
Will let ya'll know how it turns out, got a puja to go to this weekend!
th_DANCE.gif

Their brushes sure do suck
But I found the colours to be great...they are long lasting and dont imprint and just so easy to apply.
I havent been able to find the Revlon kohl pencil in the Carolinas yet.
I got a few from back home as those are incredible too.

imperfectbeauty

i love love loveeeeee my eyeliner/kajal. It's my bestest friend!! haha!! Even if i dont do any other make up on my face i just do that and lipgloss and im set. i dont even bother with foundation a lot of days. lol.

ndn-ista

hey mamas! indian here too... I get asked what makeup brands I use and colors. I love to look bronze and accentuate my eyes and skin complexion.

so some of my favs that i use are:

Nars bronzer in Laguna
MAC bronzer in Refined Golden
MSF Natural in Medium to Dark
MSF in Warmed
MAC Blush/Bronzer in Other Wordly (I really like it)

Blushes:
MAC in Pinch Me
MAC in Coppertone
MAC in Fancy Ray
MAC in Sunbasque
MAC in Gingerly
Nars in Orgasam
Nars in Lovejoy

Face Stuff:
Stila Correcting Concelor
Sue Devitt Pressed Powder
Sue Devitt Gel Foundation
MAC Studio Fix Concelor
MAC Beauty Powder

Mascaras:
L'oreal Volumnious in Carbon Black
Lashblast
Fresh
Define-a-lash
Some Rimmel mascaras
MAC Plushlash
MAC Zoomlash
Full and Soft

ahhh...I have to get back to work, sorry.

Dont even get me started in lippies/eyeshadows/eyeliners lol, but if you guys want I will give my favs.

Enjoy!

ndn-ista

oh what the hell, I read alot of eyeliner and kajal stuff so I LOVE:

MAC Feline Kohl (soo black)
Urban Decay 24/7 eyeliners
MAC Fluidline in black track
LORAC (I forgot the name but its a stubby thick pencil with a hint of glitter in black...I LOVE it, got mad compliments whenever I wore it)

mimibrowneyes

i bought half n half l/s recently, loving that with c-thru lipglass!! didnt like the feel of the lip erase wen i tried it at the pro shop- i could just as well use a concealer- an the MUA said i didnt need it! lol been buyin alota limited edition stuff lately on ebay- hav to say the mcqueen paint pot in otherwordly is gorgeous!! its suits any1 i think. any try that?

also wat are you guys plannin on buyin from Fafi collection this thurs/wenever?? (th paint pots look gooooood!)

silverbelle282

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyPlum
Try See Sheer, Kinda Sexy (but with Spice lipliner), Exhibitionist, Ramblin Rose, Vegas Volt, and pair any of them with Love nectar gloss or Lychee Luxe gloss...

i'm indian too, nc40-42, and the other day an MA put missy slimshine and fulfilled plushglass over it and i LOVED it! a really great peach look i never would have thought of, so i highly recommend it! i have been wearing it with green eyes (humid plus naked lunch or gorgeous gold, etc)

some of my favorites are:

cheeks: gingerly blush, warmed msf, refined golden bronzer
lips: skew l/s, hug me l/s, strength l/s, wonderstruck l/g, cultured l/g, midimauve l/s,
eyes: honestly i feel that pretty much anything goes! some of my favorites are paradisco, swish, tilt, deep truth, humid, satin taupe, retrospeck, cranberry, poste haste, the list could go on...

does anyone on here have hushabye blush? i bought it a while ago on recommendation from an MA, but i cannot for the life of me get it to work/look right. what can i do?!
crybaby.gif

anjdes

Quote:
So I tried waterlining with my L'Oreale HIP eyeliner creme/gel that I bought a while ago and there was absolutely no smudging, no running! I also went over it with a eyeliner pencil... next time I will try to dip the pencil into the gel for easier application. Finally I found an eyeliner that doesn't run!!
yahoo.gif

And dang it, I still need to do a FOTD with Rani's makeup... will get to it, promise!!

I'll be waiting :)

Beautiful

I'm NC44 and the strobe cream gives my skin a strange greyish cast.
ssad.gif
So, for a glowy look I prefer Milani's cream bronzer which has lots of gold in it.

JCinwrappingppr

Hi everyone! It's my first time on Specktra and i am SO glad there is a WOC forum! a lot of times I find that makeup advice/colors to use/etc. don't really apply to women of darker skin! You guys are all so knowledgable..I've been lurking for days before deciding to register and post.

Anyways I am South Indian and I have just started using MAC. I am NC45 skin. I absolutely love love love my Studio Tech concealer..it is magic! My under eye circles disappear instantly! Also I am obsessed with Fluidline in Blacktrack..the color is so black on my skin and it stands out really well. It's so easy to apply as well!

I was wondering if you guys could reccomend a couple e/s (or pigment, whatever) for me? I want a glittery black - something that really stands out on my skin! I've tried a lot of black e/s and they end up just looking ashy. I also want a pretty charcoal grey that won't end up looking ashy either. I can't seem to find the right e/s for a perfect "smokey eye". TIA!

anjdes

Hi JCinwrappingppr! Welcome! The recs you asked for - a popular glittery black in Black Tied. For a grey try Knight Divine. I also love to do a smokey eye with Black Tied/Carbon at the lash line and crease with a wash of Star Violet. HTH!

angeluv009

Love this thread!!! I'm west indian and nc 42.
I dunno if anyone else has noticed this, but i had a discussion with my MA about how desi women seem to like to choose foundation that too light for their skin tone. Blah. it irks me when i see a nice brown sugar lady trying to be lighter.
Anywhoo enough of my rant. I agree you could wear any eyeshadows.
My favorite everyday blush is margin, its really subtle and if you want something a little more intense you can put more on.
I currently use BE Warmth as a bronzer... but im impartial on it...
as for lipstick i loooove ruby woo from mac. Its a super bright red, but its ohhhh so sexy!

LatteGoodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjdes
Hi JCinwrappingppr! Welcome! The recs you asked for - a popular glittery black in Black Tied. For a grey try Knight Divine. I also love to do a smokey eye with Black Tied/Carbon at the lash line and crease with a wash of Star Violet. HTH!

You know, I went to the MAC store the other day and swatched Black Tied and though I saw the glitter flecks in the eyeshadow pot itself, when I swatched it I didn't see anything but black. So would you have to cake it on for the glitter to show, or what?
th_confused_new.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by angeluv009
I dunno if anyone else has noticed this, but i had a discussion with my MA about how desi women seem to like to choose foundation that too light for their skin tone. Blah. it irks me when i see a nice brown sugar lady trying to be lighter.
My favorite everyday blush is margin, its really subtle and if you want something a little more intense you can put more on.
as for lipstick i loooove ruby woo from mac. Its a super bright red, but its ohhhh so sexy!

I've noticed the whole desi women trying to put on a lighter colored foundation/powder before too. What is up with that? It looks way better to have the right color on than look like a clown!

Oh and I found the perfect red lipstick too, though it's not from MAC, it's from Burt's Bees. Extremely pigmented (perhaps a bit too much in fact) and it gives you that tingly/minty feeling too! Plus it's all natural... ya'll should try it out, it looks blood red on me... I wear it when I wanna do the Christina Aguilara/50's pin up doll look.
yes.gif

nooeeyy

Quote:
So I'm a relative newbie here
noob.gif
and I am just soaking up all this cool information on makeup! Some people on here are so knowledgeable, I am in awe.

Anyway, my question is for all you South Asian decent gals (or guys, whichever!) Do ya'll use bronzer? If so, what type? I'm NC40 and I've tried a few Clinque and MAC bronzers, and I end up looking like I've stayed out in the sun too long, and not in a good way either.

Also, what type of eyeshadow colors look best on our skin tones... I've got light brown/hazel eyes, so from what I've seen so far, I look good in browns, bronzes, golds, purples and pinks. Blues and greens are ok too.. Haven't really strayed from that, though I want to!

And what do you think about eye liner? Do you prefer lining your lower waterline, or does going just below the lashline work for ya'll? I look like a messed up clown if I do that... my eyes just look weird.
th_dunno.gif

Anyhoo, this post is just to see what all is popular amongst us, what looks good, what doesn't, etc. And to the people who aren't South Asian: if ya'll have any input, it's very welcome!!

Im an NC45 kinda girl. I am in love with MAC's Studio Fix line. Until recently, I only used the Studio Fix Powder Plus, now I have tried the Liquid Studio Fix in Liquid and love it. So..about the bronzer. Bronzer is a lil wierd because like you said if you choose a shade tooo dark, you end up looking crazy. I cant lie, Ive only tried one bronzer and its by Revlon. Its called Naughty Spice and it had just enought pigments in it to give m a nice glow. For a while my hair was like a fire red and withoug ANY color on my face, I looked dead so thats when I started wearing Bronzer and blush. Also, I love MAC's Mocha and Format blushes. Format is a really nice color.

As far as color goes...NEVER...NEVER...NEVER.....LIMIT YOURSELF. I love color. I am a fan of purple colours at tme moment. My favs as of yet is the MAC Violet Pigment, Plum Dressing, and Purple Haze. Love them. Also, Teals are really nice too. Try Parrot (its part of the Originials collection), Newly Minted, Aquadisiac. Also Greens are really good too. Bitter and Humid would look great on your skintone.As far as blues, I like Freshwater, Contrast and Electric Eel. Golds are just as Fantabulous. Amber Lights( I have an everlasting love for that color. It was the first MAC eyeshadow I have ever brought), Bronze, TAN pigment, Teal Pigment, and I also like to mix the Fushia Pigments with the Violet pigment.

Hope that helps. As far eyeliners. I have always used Maybellines balck waterproof eyeliner in black when I wanna do a nice cat eye. When i line my waterline which i dont do often because my eyes are so closed set to line my waterline makes my eyes look smaller. But when I do line it I use Make Up Forever 0L. I usually just line it to pack on eyeshadow on my lower lash line and I pack on eyeshadow.
yahoo.gif

S.S.BlackOrchid

Quote:
Originally Posted by angeluv009

Yes, and I used to be one of them! Then I opened my eyes and realized it made me look garish and I found my right shade.

neeshie

Quote:
Originally Posted by exoticarbcqen
im a nc 40-42 and im paki/middle eastern and I use strobe cream and hate it, it dosent do crap for me and im considered light skinned by alot of pakistani people. im just trying to use it up so I can use it for B2M.

Try adding a smidge of pink bronze pigment to it, it looks much nicer...thats how i'm using up my tube!

Latest posts