Tom Ford Beauty Discussion

DMcG9

Is there a Nordstrom Canada online? I mean, you can shop at Nordstrom USA online and they will ship to Canada, but there is expensive shipping/ duties ect. It would be fabulous if we had a Nordstrom.ca

Not yet. I made the assumption it'd be imminent with stores open and probably Canadian-sited warehouses. Maybe I am dead wrong.

elegant-one

I again asked why and got the exact same response:

"We made the decision to cease our affiliate program as we are a full-price retailer, and the brands we carry trust us to sell their products at full price. To uphold our relationships with the brands and vendors we carry, we have to limit the amount of site we work with that discount items."

Yeah, maybe they don't want to be scammed again :( It's really weird, but as soon as Nordies stopped with ebates, I FINALLY started to get my Sephora cash back notices which I haven't for many many months!

GreenEyedAllie

Ohhh? I hope it's not dropping sales due to politics...

So I'm a science kid, but I have this soft spot for economics. It's not a direct tie to recent politics or anything. Department stores (really most physical retail) has been hurting with the explosion of online shopping plus recession. This led to a race to the bottom of sorts with sales and promotions (% off, free shipping, cash back, etc.) that has even made its way up to historically higher end retailers. Additionally, their own discounting chains (Hautelook, Last Call, Rack, etc.) are pilfering full-price sales. Customers have been trained to expect and demand these cuts, and it's simply not sustainable. Especially at the higher end, brands are demanding to be excluded or to pull out if retailers discount their merchandise. When sales were historically terrible, they gave the retailers some leeway, but it's gotten to where it's diluting their brands too much. What we're seeing now is the beginning of a reversal back to pre-promo/cash back era. It failed spectacularly for JC Penneys, but I think if higher end retailers all bail, it could work. I don't know the contracts involved, but I would expect others to follow Nordies. Could definitely be wrong, though.

Monsy

I again asked why and got the exact same response:

"We made the decision to cease our affiliate program as we are a full-price retailer, and the brands we carry trust us to sell their products at full price. To uphold our relationships with the brands and vendors we carry, we have to limit the amount of site we work with that discount items."

full price my ass
they have sales all the time!!!

simply they do not want to be scammed again

fur4elise

So I'm a science kid, but I have this soft spot for economics. It's not a direct tie to recent politics or anything. Department stores (really most physical retail) has been hurting with the explosion of online shopping plus recession. This led to a race to the bottom of sorts with sales and promotions (% off, free shipping, cash back, etc.) that has even made its way up to historically higher end retailers. Additionally, their own discounting chains (Hautelook, Last Call, Rack, etc.) are pilfering full-price sales. Customers have been trained to expect and demand these cuts, and it's simply not sustainable. Especially at the higher end, brands are demanding to be excluded or to pull out if retailers discount their merchandise. When sales were historically terrible, they gave the retailers some leeway, but it's gotten to where it's diluting their brands too much. What we're seeing now is the beginning of a reversal back to pre-promo/cash back era. It failed spectacularly for JC Penneys, but I think if higher end retailers all bail, it could work. I don't know the contracts involved, but I would expect others to follow Nordies. Could definitely be wrong, though.

I think this makes absolute sense and I am not a science kid...though I wish I had been encouraged...but I digress. What goes down, must come up. What goes up, must come down...There is a life cycle to everything and if things do not adjust, the cycle will die.

We as smart consumers adjust accordingly to our personal limitations...
Yup, I am that coupon clipping, wait for a sale, stock up type of gal. Some things I just cannot ever pay full price on (basic clothing, shoes, unmentionables, sox...)...other things (limited edition, luxury, for special...), I am willing too.

lipstickaddict

Not yet. I made the assumption it'd be imminent with stores open and probably Canadian-sited warehouses. Maybe I am dead wrong.

I really hope that you are right! FYI I heard an interesting rumor the other day that Hudson's Bay is buying out Macy's! My mother in law was talking about it. That would be something!

GreenEyedAllie

I really hope that you are right! FYI I heard an interesting rumor the other day that Hudson's Bay is buying out Macy's! My mother in law was talking about it. That would be something!

Well, it will be interesting to see if they pursue that. NM just put itself up for sale and apparently HB is jumping at it.

MaryJane

Back to makeup talk....:D

So glad I decided not to impulse purchase Soleil Blanc. I LOVE it on my for the first few minutes but after that, it starts to smell like play-doh on me. O well..I really do NOT need to spending $200+ on a perfume.

I've been using some of the goodies I got from the Soleil collection. My favorite so far is Paradise Lust. Both the blush and highlighter have a creamy texture and look great once applied. I have mixed feelings about Reflects Gilt. I suspect I'll get more use out of them as eyeshadows than highlighters. The rose gold is a little too dark for me to wear as a highlighter but it may work as a blush topper. Not sure if it's a keeper as I don't really need more eyeshadows. Gonna live with it for a few more days.

Monsy

Back to makeup talk....:D

So glad I decided not to impulse purchase Soleil Blanc. I LOVE it on my for the first few minutes but after that, it starts to smell like play-doh on me. O well..I really do NOT need to spending $200+ on a perfume.

you are right 250$ fragrance should be properly tested
my SA would send me that generous sample that I could use for a while before i purchase

Monsy

macy's has been in deep shit for at least 5 years if not even longer. no surprise. they closed so many stores.

MaryJane

you are right 250$ fragrance should be properly tested
my SA would send me that generous sample that I could use for a while before i purchase
I was actually surprised at how big of a sample she gave me! I'm going to use it up even though I don't love it.

Any TF fragrances you could recommend for Spring/Summer?

Monsy

I was actually surprised at how big of a sample she gave me! I'm going to use it up even though I don't love it.

Any TF fragrances you could recommend for Spring/Summer?

yes very generous right?

Venetian bergamot is beautiful.

MaryJane

yes very generous right?

Venetian bergamot is beautiful.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll have to get a sample of that next.

Since Soleil Blanc isn't for me, I'm considering the EL Bronze Goddess. Macy's is having 15% off on select fragrances and cosmetics so now is a good time to buy.

Monsy

plus they have now edp and eau fraiche that they do every summer. If i didn't already have one bronze goddess i would gladly try edp

MaryJane

plus they have now edp and eau fraiche that they do every summer. If i didn't already have one bronze goddess i would gladly try edp

I was debating which to try. The notes are different between the edp and eau fraiche. I'll probably get the eau fraiche to start.

Monsy

Eau fraiche based on notes seems very similar to what they release every year (they change notes a tiny bit but basically it is the same scent. ). I have to worn you those are not really long wearing. EDP seems more intense.

Winthrop44

Yeah, maybe they don't want to be scammed again :( It's really weird, but as soon as Nordies stopped with ebates, I FINALLY started to get my Sephora cash back notices which I haven't for many many months!

Probably not, but if it was all about the scam why would they be continuing Ebates on Nordstrom Rack? Only 1% but still....

Whatever the reason I will be favoring other stores as long as they continue with Ebates.

Last edited:

Latest posts