Tom Ford Beauty Discussion

Ikram

I REALLY want Burnished Amber. Ikram, if you're lucky enough to have a counter near you... try it on. Definitely take advantage of the fact that you can try before you buy.
I am super lucky girl because I have not 1 but 2 counters near me!!!

Haven

I have figured out why I don't like the liquid foundation very much. It really isn't buildable. If you have near perfect skin already, then it will look great on you. If you have flaws (like me), then it won't cover them satisfactorily by itself - at least with my method of application. So I need to use the liquid and then pull out the stick & layer that over the trouble spots. I don't have the time in the morning (despite what Mr. Ford said - funny link BTW) to spend this much effort on foundation alone. My Chanel liquid covers all the flaws by itself in one application. Maybe if I had more patience (and time) then I would learn love the liquid foundation. I will have to play with it some more over the long weekend.

I ended up ordering the cream foundation brush and bitter bitch. Bitter bitch is backordered now, so I need to be patient.
crybaby.gif

I recommend trying the blushes before ordering. They are extremely pigmented. Seriously takes one touch with the skunk brush to get enough color for a nice application.

Shypo

It truly is unique. These colors bring out the green in my eyes. Mookieonthebeach has a good set of photos. I can't seem to copy and paste the link on my iPad.

Haven

I am glad to hear that.

I am very interested in this quad b/c I have blue/green eyes (depending on what I am wearing/lighting/etc they tend to change).
It truly is unique. These colors bring out the green in my eyes. Mookieonthebeach has a good set of photos. I can't seem to copy and paste the link on my iPad.

Ikram

Shypo

how does the texture of the shadows compare to Burberry? I worry that I am too spolied by them.

Haven

After using the liquid foundation for a while, I have changed my opinion of it. At first I really was not a fan. The coverage was not that great, and I just thought that it was overpriced.

Now I am a fan of it. I really had to play with it, however, & learn how to make it work. Whether to use a brush, sponge, hand or combo technique to apply. What primer really works under it. How to successfully layer it to get adequate coverage for trouble spots. Etc... I really like the glow factor that it gives my skin. TF was right though when he said that his line was one that took time to learn how to use.

I still think that the liquid foundation is overpriced, but I am also glad that I kept it.

I ended up with a couple of the blushes. Those products are beyond pigmented and take some practice to avoid over application. Love Lust is similar in color to Stereo Rose when applied to my skin - just no shiny effect seen with the MSFs.

I also bought a couple of the eyeshadow quads, and my favorite is Sahara Haze. I am sure that I will end up with a few more.

Ikram: I can't comment on how the shadows compare to Burberry b/c I haven't tried Burberry. Sorry!

Overall I really like the products that I have purchased from this line. Not a bad one in the bunch. Some are not the easiest to work with, but once you have found how to make them work for you they are amazing.

Shypo

Shypo

how does the texture of the shadows compare to Burberry? I worry that I am too spolied by them.
I would say they are comparable, with the TF having an edge - I think the texture of the Burberrys varies by color (as is true with most shadows) and I only have the TF quad to compare. Both are very buttery smooth, and well pigmented - I tend to compare textures based on color, so I'm not much help here (the Burberrys and TF I have are not the same colors).

Haven

After using my TF quads for a couple of weeks, I have some more thoughts on them. While the colors are fantastic, the glitter accent/highlight shadows can be irritating. The glitter is very fine in these shadows, and I thought that the fall out seemed minimal. However, I have noticed that I experience some "eye issues" especially when wearing contacts.

I use a lot of glittery shadows on a regular basis - Urban Decay - and never have eye issues. I even have noticable fallout sometimes, yet I just clean it up & go.

This is something to consider. The shades with the heavy glitter (even though it is fine) can cause eye irritation. More so than other brands. I really don't know why.

QueenOfSnark

Slowpoke here, but I'm intrigued by Tom Ford's stuff, since I'm a big fan of the Private Blend perfumes. And since I have a Neiman's GC to burn I don't feel so bad trying the brand. :3

Ingenue, since you're maybe two shades darker than me, do you think Caramel would be a match for me in the stick foundation? I've never used a stick foundation before, but I read on your blog your review and if you say it doesn't budge, I trust ya.

Has anyone here swatched True Coral? What's your opinion of it beside other loud corals from MAC? The last good MAC coral I had was VG Cyndi, and Chanel's Hyde Park is more pink than coral.

Ingenue

QueenOfSnark, Caramel is two shades lighter than my shade (Praline), BUT these foundations really don't do much in terms of 'in between' shades. I would definitely test both Caramel and Toffee to be absolutely sure of your shade.

Caramel was shockingly light (it looks darker in the tube)... so was Toffee. I had to test them on my skin before making a final decision. Praline turned out to be my match. Had I not tested it, I would have never guessed.

MzzRach

I'm so glad to see a Tom Ford Beauty thread has been started!

OK ladies and gents, I am mad for this line. I have several items and the quality is wonderful and of course getting anything is a luxurious indulgence.

I have the following:

Traceless Stick Foundation in Alabaster - whoever commented on the huge size is absolutely correct - this puppy is huge! And a lovely product. The MA I worked with told me Tom actually wears this product every day.

Cheek Color in Love Lust and Frantic Pink

Eye Color Quad in Cocoa Mirage (perfect everyday neutral for me) and Silvered Topaz

Shade & Illuminate in Intensity One - the only item I have not played with yet.

Lipsticks in Pink Adobe, Crimson Noir & Black Orchid (after seeing this on katred I had to get it. Normally I would never wear a colour like this, but it is so damn sexy!!)

Ultra Shine Lip Gloss in Tawny Pink and Lost Cherry - I love the fact that these have a brush instead of a doe foot. They apply and wear beautifully.

My schedule has been ridiculous the past few months but I will try and swatch everything I have some time soon. :)

MzzRach

Realized I forgot to include my favourite thing in this line - the BRUSHES!

Those of you who know me know I am a brush fiend, and my collection is massive. These brushes are incredible.

Once I tried one, I could not stop myself from getting more, I have:

Eye shadow contour brush
Shade & illuminate brush (meant for use with the contour/highlighter)
Cream foundation brush
Eyeliner & definer brush
Eye shadow blend brush - the one that knocked me out and compelled me to pick up more brushes. It's like a larger, firmer (but still soft) MAC 217 - it gives marvelous control and blends out product wonderfully.

The cut and design of these brushes is top notch. They are of course a splurge, but if you dig brushes, definitely at least look at them if you can.

Winthrop44

Thanks for all the great info MzzRach. Needless to say I am nowhere near a counter. Have you looked at the Brow Sculptor by any chance? I'm wondering about the Taupe. I've read there's no red in it, which sounds good to me, but in looking at it on Karla's brows I'm wondering if it's very dark? Is the lightest shade, Blonde, very yellow? I don't think anyone has skin swatches online.

MzzRach

I use Auburn brow products and am pretty happy with what I use, so I'm afraid I have not look at the TF brow product. If there was an auburn option I would probably try it!

Shypo

Thanks for the info MzzRach! I have many of the same products and colors you do - and just yesterday ordered the eye shadow brush you mentioned, and the blush brush. I want the other eye brushes and the highlight brush as well. I also ordered Frantic Pink and Wicked blushes. I too love this line. Have to pace myself
sigh.gif

katred

Specktra Bestie
I'm so glad to see a Tom Ford Beauty thread has been started!

OK ladies and gents, I am mad for this line. I have several items and the quality is wonderful and of course getting anything is a luxurious indulgence.

I have the following:

Traceless Stick Foundation in Alabaster - whoever commented on the huge size is absolutely correct - this puppy is huge! And a lovely product. The MA I worked with told me Tom actually wears this product every day.

Cheek Color in Love Lust and Frantic Pink

Eye Color Quad in Cocoa Mirage (perfect everyday neutral for me) and Silvered Topaz

Shade & Illuminate in Intensity One - the only item I have not played with yet.

Lipsticks in Pink Adobe, Crimson Noir & Black Orchid (after seeing this on katred I had to get it. Normally I would never wear a colour like this, but it is so damn sexy!!)

Ultra Shine Lip Gloss in Tawny Pink and Lost Cherry - I love the fact that these have a brush instead of a doe foot. They apply and wear beautifully.

My schedule has been ridiculous the past few months but I will try and swatch everything I have some time soon. :)

Yay! So glad you got Black Orchid! We're supposed to be getting the full collection up here this month and I can't wait to swatch it. I'm quite interested in the foundation stick and in the quads, provided they don't jack the prices up too much (the lipsticks haven't been too much more than in the US, so I'm hopeful). Silvered Topaz is one of the ones I was thinking about, actually, because it looks so lovely in photos I've seen.

Haven

I have to add my praise for the brushes. So far I have only purchased the cream foundation brush and the blush brush. I have literally use these brushes every day since I got them. They are amazing, especially the liquid foundation brush. I have been eyeing the eyeshadow brushes and the shade & illuminate brush for a while now. Eventually I will cave and order them. I just have to get past the high price point.

I still love almost all of the products that I have purchased from this line. I am very happy with the liquid foundation now that I have learned how to apply it properly. The only products that I am "iffy" about are the quads. The colors are great, but there is something in the glittery shades that can be irritating when wearing contacts. I have to be very careful with how much and where I apply the high impact colors in the quads. I was initially going for a slightly toned down version of the promo pics, and my eyes were not happy - to say the least.

RoCk_StAr_GiRl

I've just been reading through this thread and wanted to add my thoughts on the line! The line launched in the UK in October and I have since guiltiliy acquired quite a few products. So far I have the following so if anyone has any questions or would like any pics etc then please let me know! On my wishlist is the Burnished Amber uad (gorgeous!), Crushed Ameythst Quad and a few more nail polished. For anyone who hasnt tried them, the lipglosses are AMAZING! They are so pigmented and are not sticky at all...I love them! I seriously want them all except the dark purple!

*Stick Foundation Alabaster
*Liquid Foundation Alabaster
*Lovelust Blush
*Flush Blush
*Sahara Haze Quad
*Silvered Topaz Quad
*Peach Absoloute Lipgloss
*Naked Lipgloss
*Sahara Pink Lipgloss
*Pink Guilt Lipgloss
*True Coral Lipstick
*Indian Rose Lipstick
*Lip Laquer
*Noi Absoloute (Gel eyeliner)
*Toasted Sugar Nail Polish
*Bitter Bitch Nail Polish
*Coral Blame Nail Polish
*Mascara
*All the brushes except the blusher brush (which was sold out)

katred

Specktra Bestie
That is quite the collection! I'd love to see swatches of the quads and Bitter Bitch nail polish (which I might have to buy just for the name).

Latest posts