What to do with a broken Shadestick?

piika

I just bought a Shadestick in Silverbleu today. The first time that I tried it on at home, the tip broke right off (and I wasn't rubbing that hard!). Then I thought, ok, let's see how long the entire stick is, so I'll know how much I lost. So I started twisting up the stick, and it got stuck. It would no longer retract. I tried to push it back a little, and the whole stick of color broke right off!

I don't even know if I have a legitimate excuse to return/exchange it!
ssad.gif
Has Shadestick broke for anyone else?

nphernetton

I had a shade stick break after I'd used about half of it...which is strange because I only twist it out about 1/8in if I can help it. Since you didnt really use much/any of it, take the tube and pieces back with your receipt. Maybe it had been broken during shipping to the store, if it had been dropped or something?

alt629

It doesn't seem like it should break with just a little bit coming out unless it was dry or old or something. I would take it back and just tell them what happened!

Sanne

I had the exact same thing with my fresh cement shadestick, I went back with my receipt and I got a new one!
mine probably dropped somewhere between the MAC factory and my beautycase. Just go back!!!

JillMarie

Of course you have a legitimate reason to take it back - You just bought it TODAY and it broke (both the product and the mechanical part.) I don't see any reason why you can't exchange it for another one.

piika

Thanks a lot for all your advice! I just felt that perhaps it was my own fault that it broke... But now I feel better and I'll take it back like you suggested.

Colorqueen

Nope, they are having problems with some of the newer shadesticks breaking off.

I had it happen with shimmermint after I only used it a few days (and did not leave the cap off or anything).

I heard that some of the girls at MAC had the same problem with their own personal shadesticks too.

glittergoddess27

I am worried about my Silverbleu, it feels a bit on the dry side as compared to for instance my Penny bought on the same day,.. I also don't twist mine up very far to use them,...wondering if the "shimmery" ones are singly going to be problematic?

Shawna

I only have beiging and cedarrose, but I just colour on my finger and then blend it onto my eye. Then I go over my lid with the s/s. It seems if you get that first coat down, then the s/s glides on really smooth and it doesn't pull on your eye or at the s/s. That said, I would definitely return it. It seems like a faulty s/s to me.

Colorqueen

Quote:
Originally Posted by glittergoddess27
I am worried about my Silverbleu, it feels a bit on the dry side as compared to for instance my Penny bought on the same day,.. I also don't twist mine up very far to use them,...wondering if the "shimmery" ones are singly going to be problematic?

When my shimmermint broke, it was up only an eighth of an inch. I have never had any of my old shadesticks break when I did that. Some of them I have had since they were first introduced.

Colorqueen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawna
I only have beiging and cedarrose, but I just colour on my finger and then blend it onto my eye. Then I go over my lid with the s/s. It seems if you get that first coat down, then the s/s glides on really smooth and it doesn't pull on your eye or at the s/s. That said, I would definitely return it. It seems like a faulty s/s to me.

I will try your method for what is left of my shimmermint. I think that the eyelid makes the tugging stress the already weak sticks, so they break.

Good idea, if I can apply it before it dries so the shadow will stick on it. I always use shadow over it. I also have to use a base under it as well- or my skin has a bad reaction.

piika

I successfully exchanged my Silverbleu for a new one, they were very nice about it.
smiles.gif
The MA said that he doesn't think Shadesticks are supposed to retract. I'm certainly not going to experiment with that again!

I tried Shawna's method for putting it on, and it works great! No more tugging and breaking...

Janice

That's idiotic that he says they aren't supposed to retract. :roll:

I always moisturize my lids lightly before applying shadesticks, it never tugs or deposits color unevenly when I do that.

Also shadesticks break off at the base EASY. I've had at least 2 of mine break off at the base and I'm never rough with them. IMO it's just an issue with them that I was hoping they had fixed with this fresh release.
th_confused_new.gif

Shawna

Of course they should retract! Duh! Otherwise how would you get the cap back on?? They are like a lipstick. You turn the product up to apply it and then retract it to keep it safe until next time. Anyhow, I am happy my method works well for you. I had the same problem with tugging until I discovered the finger application method.

user2

The thread of my Mangomix broke some months ago and it just lies in my traincase!

Do you have any idea what to do with it?

I mean can I mill it, melt it, cut it in little pieces?

I don't want to throw it away!

TIA!

mac_obsession

my lucky jade broke :\ I just stick it back in, and put my finger on top, and turn it till it meets the base, and then use it very carefully!!

jlhinbrisvegas

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac_obsession
my lucky jade broke :\ I just stick it back in, and put my finger on top, and turn it till it meets the base, and then use it very carefully!!

This is what I do as well.

2 of mine have broken close to the base of the shadestick, so I just turn them up enough for me to use them and make sure to be very careful.

Janice

Shadesticks are notorious for breaking. Like mac_obsession I just gently "mush" it back into the base each time I use it. Doesn't affect it's application at all like that.
smiles.gif
HTHS

user2

It's not the shadestick itself it is the thing that makes the stick come out of the plastic....

user2

A WONDER!!!! It works again!!! I had to tear out the whole plastic insert and push it back in with some power but now it works!!!