What to expect from a MAC makeover?

christineeee_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babylard
yeah you should get a makeover too chrstine! i'll definitely post my experience and please share yours too!

its true, $45 minimal purchase is never the problem. the problem is buying and wanting too much! LOL
lol.gif

yeah i'm getting one done on the 29th. hopefully there will be some heatherette looks i can choose from so i can decide what i wanna get. i will definitely share my experience with u lovely ladies
smiles.gif

HOTasFCUK

Does anyone have more info on a private make-up lesson from MAC? I'd really be interested in this because i think i need to briush up on my foundation techniques (its embarrassing when your own boyfriend notices a bad application!) and how to do a smokey eye. I have over 100 pieces of MAC products and many i don't use because i always end up making a mess out of it (example-black tied eyeshadow!). Please post more info if anyone knows!

cuteymcpretty

hiya!

sorry if im gonna be repeating anything buuuuuuuuut here goes!

you dont have to book an appointment, you can generally walk in mon-thur. fri sats and sundays we tend to get fuly booked so i would maybe ring the counter of your choice and make a booking if its for one of those days (sats esp tend to get booked up a few weeks prior cos people tend to go out that night etc)

theres a £25 booking fee, dont know what the american fee is and its all redeemable on the day which is great!

you say your uncomfortable about your skin etc, but dont be.. as a make up artist your trained and you see all types of skin types every day so no one should be like "ewww". if youre more comfortable wearing make up to the counter (so that you dont feel weird walking about without it on) its okay to get the make up artist to take your make up off, or do it yourself when youre there if you feel more comfortable.

the makeovers are awesome though, the artist talks you through step by step application.. and always asks what it is youre used to wearing. what i tend to do, is encourage the customer to try something a little different and they love it everytime because its out of the box.. something theyre not used to so if you wanna do that make sure you mention it, and if you dont like something then say aswell, cos theres nothing worse than having make up on you dont like, itd ruin my day! haha

at the end, the artist should make yuo a facechart and on it is everything she or he has used on you which is good because mayeb you wont want to buy everything straight away and also its there for you to refer to if you want to recreate the look

overall its just a great way to get pampered and get advice, i used to get my make up done frequently from mac a few years back before i worked for them, i loved it, hope you do too!

cuteymcpretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOTasFCUK
Does anyone have more info on a private make-up lesson from MAC? I'd really be interested in this because i think i need to briush up on my foundation techniques (its embarrassing when your own boyfriend notices a bad application!) and how to do a smokey eye. I have over 100 pieces of MAC products and many i don't use because i always end up making a mess out of it (example-black tied eyeshadow!). Please post more info if anyone knows!

how are you applying your foundation? make sure you're using a brush, i would reccomend the mac 187 stipling brush, its easy to use and gives you a blended finish. use a little product on the white tips of the brush and apply in circular motions. what a lot of people do is use a lot of product and then have no where to blend it away to.. so build it up bit by bit rather than have lots on your face

in regards to your eyeshadows, i would take the name of some of them down and pop into your local mac counter and ask them to do an eye demo on you using some of the colours. i always get the customer to hold a hand mirror and watch how im doing it as thats really the only way youll learn. id probably go on a day where the counter isnt going to be so busy, that way the artist can make you an eyechart to so that you can refer to it. you dont have to buy something, i always help customers who just want some inspiration, just practice lots and youll be fine
greengrin.gif

Babylard

For the people who have never gotten an application done before, I will share my experience at the counter yesterday.

I arrived slightly early before my appointment, because I feel that being late is rude to the MA. I entertained myself by looking at all the MAC goodies until my MA came back from her break lol.

Some things to consider before going to get an application done:

1. going bare-faced is easiest. cleanse, moisturize, and you are good to go!
2. bring your own eyelash curler. seriously, the MAC curler did not impress me at all. i had to use my shu curler because the MAC curler just messed up my lashes. It would be even better to just bring a fresh, CLEAN pair of false lashes. I wish someone told me that.. >_>
3. make sure you aren't sick and have fresh breath. Personal hygene is so important... for anything really... lol eating onions and garlic right before an application isn't cool at all.... so chew that gum! lol if you are sick, you shouldn't get an application done... its just plain wrong
4. Mind your manners and ethics. This goes for everything........ rude people make me sick... be polite, say thanks, its totally okay to say that something doesn't work out for you.

please feel free to add to this list.

I found that communication was indeed important. Not everybody knows what doesn't work for you unless you tell them. I told my MA to not darken my brows and she remembered.
smiles.gif
You can choose what products you would like to try. In my case, I asked her to do a heatherette look for me. I was undecided on the trios, and she reccomended that the pink one would flatter my skintone. It is VERY important to tell your MA what type of looks you at least are comfortable with, especially if you don't know what look you want in the first place. I specifically told her that I am comfortable with bold colors and styles and that she may do what she wants. If this is not the case for you, say so. Not everybody enjoys casette intensly applied in the outer-V. You can ask for a mirror so you can watch what your MA does. My

After the eyes, she does foundation. You will be asked what your skin is like and whether you want your skin to glow or be matte. I told her that I have oily skin with dry patches. I get oily throughout the day. She matched me to NC25 in mineralize satin spf 15. I just realized that she did not use a primer on me. That would have made alll the difference. If you realize something is missing, don't be afraid to kindly ask, "could you please prime my skin?" She goes on to use select coverup in NC20 for my undereyes.

I specifically asked her to show me how she applies blush and I watched with the handheld mirror and she explains to me. She asks me if i like glitter, I said yes, i love glitter! She puts reflects gold on my cheeks for extra oomph.

My MA goes back to my eyes and lines them with graphblack and goes over with wonderwhite glitter. I asked her about prep n prime lash, and she uses that on me, followed by zoomlash. I was horribly disapointed by zoomlash. It takes sooo long to dry. She hands me the MAC curler so that I would curler my lashes myself. I learned a couple of things here (you can refer to my list of things to consider) Bring your own curler (and even mascara!) if you are planning on mascara application. I think the easiest way is to just bring in a pair of fresh false lashes. Applying mascara on lashes is a very personal thing in my opinion. I think MA's generally will not layer on mascara. You may not get the desired lash look if you don't have naturally long lashes. I went to the washroom to fix up my lashes lol.

After the application, she shows me what she used on me and you can pick what you want to buy. I picked through and continued with other products that I was wondering about. You can take the time to have a Q&A session with your MA. I asked her about various products like the charged waters, Fix+, and strobe.

At the end of the day, I purchased:
Heatherette Trio 2
Phone Me/Text Me Pencil
Lolipop Loving Lipstick
Sock Hop Lipgloss
Alpha Girl Beauty Powder
Shy Beauty Beauty Powder Blush
Select Coverup NC20
Defence/Renewal Charged Water

I purchased, said my thanks, and went shopping. If you don't know your foundation shade yet and if you want to buy one, I reccomend not rushing to buy the foundation. Go shopping and see your foundation in natural lighting. The lighting at the counters/store can be kinda funky. Although I was matched NC25, I think NC30 would be more suitable. I will come back and ask about that.

I hope someone found this useful. Please do share your experiences so that others can benefit.

erine1881

It would be even better to just bring a fresh, CLEAN pair of false lashes. I wish someone told me that.. >_>
you need to check with your location about this. there is no way to tell if the lashes have been opened or touched, so we only apply then when you buy them, and we tell the customer that. its not sanitary or safe to apply lashes that have previously been opened, so this way we know they haven't been messed with. if you bought em yesterday, we won't apply them.
nope.gif
if you bought em 5 hours ago, we won't apply them.
nope.gif
you have to buy them the same time we are applying them. we actually have people bring in their old lashes, with mascara on them and the old glue, and ask us if we can apply them. ewww!!!
sick.gif
hell no!!!

Babylard

It would be even better to just bring a fresh, CLEAN pair of false lashes. I wish someone told me that.. >_> Quote:

you need to check with your location about this. there is no way to tell if the lashes have been opened or touched, so we only apply then when you buy them, and we tell the customer that. its not sanitary or safe to apply lashes that have previously been opened, so this way we know they haven't been messed with. if you bought em yesterday, we won't apply them.
nope.gif
if you bought em 5 hours ago, we won't apply them.
nope.gif
you have to buy them the same time we are applying them. we actually have people bring in their old lashes, with mascara on them and the old glue, and ask us if we can apply them. ewww!!!
sick.gif
hell no!!!

eww old lashes with major gunk.... Thanks, I didn't think bringing fresh lashes from home would be a problem. Wouldn't you be able to tell that they are unused since if you take the tweezers and peel them out of the casing, you would have to separate the packaging glue and feel the resistance? I have these cheapie asian brand lashes that my mom buys from supply stores or something. I don't feel too bad about throwing them out after they go to hell because she bought them for so cheap. MAC lashes are not very economical at $13 a pair =/

Hey erine,

I was just wondering about MAs in general. I felt my MA was a little lacking, because she didn't use any eyeshadow base on me, no paintpot, no paint, no shadestick... so my eyeshadow was kinda blowing off and the color faded REALLLY fast. I was a little disapointed when I saw in the mirrors in the change rooms. Casette was intense, but V.I.P. was just barely there. These things don't really occur to me, because I was very comfortable with my MA and I have this "As you please" sort of atitude. Part of applications is to promote products so I was expecting a more complex look.

Is it okay to do applications frequently? I can easily spend $45 per visit, so getting a makeover with every purchase would be really neat. I'm wondering if there is such a thing as over-doing it and asking for too many applications? I would love to go again in a few weeks when I'm ready to drop more money.

I wasn't given a facechart that you mentioned
th_dunno.gif
I am just reflecting on my visit lol

thanks!

erine1881

Quote:
It would be even better to just bring a fresh, CLEAN pair of false lashes. I wish someone told me that.. >_>

eww old lashes with major gunk.... Thanks, I didn't think bringing fresh lashes from home would be a problem. Wouldn't you be able to tell that they are unused since if you take the tweezers and peel them out of the casing, you would have to separate the packaging glue and feel the resistance? I have these cheapie asian brand lashes that my mom buys from supply stores or something. I don't feel too bad about throwing them out after they go to hell because she bought them for so cheap. MAC lashes are not very economical at $13 a pair =/

Hey erine,

I was just wondering about MAs in general. I felt my MA was a little lacking, because she didn't use any eyeshadow base on me, no paintpot, no paint, no shadestick... so my eyeshadow was kinda blowing off and the color faded REALLLY fast. I was a little disapointed when I saw in the mirrors in the change rooms. Casette was intense, but V.I.P. was just barely there. These things don't really occur to me, because I was very comfortable with my MA and I have this "As you please" sort of atitude. Part of applications is to promote products so I was expecting a more complex look.

Is it okay to do applications frequently? I can easily spend $45 per visit, so getting a makeover with every purchase would be really neat. I'm wondering if there is such a thing as over-doing it and asking for too many applications? I would love to go again in a few weeks when I'm ready to drop more money.

I wasn't given a facechart that you mentioned
th_dunno.gif
I am just reflecting on my visit lol

thanks!

you're right, you would be able to tell if someone removed the lashes by the lack of resistance. but, you wouldn't be able to tell if dust got on them, or if something was dropped on them, or if they were just touched with dirty fingers. that's cause for an infection! the old lash cases were taped closed, (if the tape was lifted or removed we wouldn't apply them) ensuring that nothing could get in, but these aren't (and because of that we have no way of knowing what they were exposed to). when they are shipped to us, they are individually wrapped in plastic. that way nothing gets in, but when we sell them, they don't have the plastic. at my counter we take the plastic off when we stock them, making them easier to store in the drawers.

did your artist use tweezers to take the lashes outta the case? if so, they shouldn't have. they should remove them by placing their thumb on the lashes, pushing down and pulling towards them at the same time. grabbing the corner of the lashes and pulling, with tweezers or their fingers, distorts the band, making it loose its shape and look funny after its applied. hopefully yours turned out ok.

unless your artist was going for a softer look with the pink, she shoulda used a base. i always use a base, unless its an annoying girl on a weekday (no charge) thats just wasting my time.

as far as face charts go, it's mac standard to do a face/eye chart with each appt. realistically, you can't in an hour with every appt. you get to talking, explaining, having fun, etc. we (at my counter) really only do it if they ask or if its a bride/prom girl who is in a practice appt and is planning on doing it themselves the day of the event. so, if i were you i'd ask her before she starts if she would make one for you at the end.

if you are serious about learning makeup and buy products when its required, book as many appts as you want. as long as you aren't doing it just to get your makeup done, then you aren't wasting our time, and we have no problems with it.

ms.marymac

Quote:
Originally Posted by erine1881

you're right, you would be able to tell if someone removed the lashes by the lack of resistance. but, you wouldn't be able to tell if dust got on them, or if something was dropped on them, or if they were just touched with dirty fingers. that's cause for an infection! the old lash cases were taped closed, (if the tape was lifted or removed we wouldn't apply them) ensuring that nothing could get in, but these aren't (and because of that we have no way of knowing what they were exposed to). when they are shipped to us, they are individually wrapped in plastic. that way nothing gets in, but when we sell them, they don't have the plastic. at my counter we take the plastic off when we stock them, making them easier to store in the drawers.

did your artist use tweezers to take the lashes outta the case? if so, they shouldn't have. they should remove them by placing their thumb on the lashes, pushing down and pulling towards them at the same time. grabbing the corner of the lashes and pulling, with tweezers or their fingers, distorts the band, making it loose its shape and look funny after its applied. hopefully yours turned out ok.

unless your artist was going for a softer look with the pink, she shoulda used a base. i always use a base, unless its an annoying girl on a weekday (no charge) thats just wasting my time.

as far as face charts go, it's mac standard to do a face/eye chart with each appt. realistically, you can't in an hour with every appt. you get to talking, explaining, having fun, etc. we (at my counter) really only do it if they ask or if its a bride/prom girl who is in a practice appt and is planning on doing it themselves the day of the event. so, if i were you i'd ask her before she starts if she would make one for you at the end.

if you are serious about learning makeup and buy products when its required, book as many appts as you want. as long as you aren't doing it just to get your makeup done, then you aren't wasting our time, and we have no problems with it.

The only thing I can think is maybe if she had another appointment after, or if they were booked out that day, she may have cut a few corners to save time.
th_dunno.gif

juliankrby

with my store you don't have to make an apt. You can just come in and they will tell you what time they have avail for that day then you can either hang out until that time or leave and come back when its time.
smiles.gif

christineeee_

Quote:
how did it go?
smiles.gif

it was alright, she went a little crazy using heatherette trio 2, and the two glitters. this other MA came over and kept staring at my MA's work cuz she was so amazed at how good it looked. lol. i liked what she did, but i'm not used to seeing myself with such a dramatic look because i usually wear neutrals. i have pictures that i will post up maybe later today. i g2g study for an exam now
ssad.gif

Stephie Baby

I am going to get my make up done for my birthday and I was wondering if I have to purchase the $50 minimum before I get my make up done? I'm going to try to to think of some eyeshadow ideas before hand. I'll probably purchase the colors the MA uses. I just want to know what they look like on me first. I pretty much know what type of look I want, but I'm having trouble with the blush. Will the MA help recommend a blush that will go with my look?

As far as eyelashes go, can they trim them down a little bit? I already have really long lashes and I just want some volume. TIA!!!

erine1881

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephie Baby
I am going to get my make up done for my birthday and I was wondering if I have to purchase the $50 minimum before I get my make up done? I'm going to try to to think of some eyeshadow ideas before hand. I'll probably purchase the colors the MA uses. I just want to know what they look like on me first. I pretty much know what type of look I want, but I'm having trouble with the blush. Will the MA help recommend a blush that will go with my look?

As far as eyelashes go, can they trim them down a little bit? I already have really long lashes and I just want some volume. TIA!!!

you purchase your makeup at the end of your appt. the artist will recommend a blush that goes with your look. you can buy what the artist uses on you that day, or anything else that you want.

as for the lashes, we don't trim the length of the hairs, just the length of the band. but there are many different styles that you can choose from, so you can find the right lashes for the look that you want.

Jools

Hey there!
I'll be having a makeover in two weeks and I'm already pretty excited
blush-anim-cl.gif
. My boyfriend called the counter yesterday and made the appointment (this is my christmas present
winks.gif
). They asked whether it shall be a daytime or evening look and he arranged the evening look.
Now I don't know what to expect from this kind of look and I'm a bit sceptic too cause I mostly wear neutral colours. On the one hand I think it's great because I will get a new look that I'd probably never tried on my own but on the other hand I'm afraid that the look will turn out to be 'too much' for me.
th_dunno.gif

Could someone please tell me the differences between daytime- and evening makeup?? I'm a bit alienated by the fact that the MA asked this before arranging the appoiintment
th_confused_new.gif

Babylard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jools
Hey there!
I'll be having a makeover in two weeks and I'm already pretty excited
blush-anim-cl.gif
. My boyfriend called the counter yesterday and made the appointment (this is my christmas present
winks.gif
). They asked whether it shall be a daytime or evening look and he arranged the evening look.
Now I don't know what to expect from this kind of look and I'm a bit sceptic too cause I mostly wear neutral colours. On the one hand I think it's great because I will get a new look that I'd probably never tried on my own but on the other hand I'm afraid that the look will turn out to be 'too much' for me.
th_dunno.gif

Could someone please tell me the differences between daytime- and evening makeup?? I'm a bit alienated by the fact that the MA asked this before arranging the appoiintment
th_confused_new.gif

i would interpret it this way:

generally, daytime looks are more toned down and softer. like a neutral look with soft shimmery colors and a little definition in the crease and outer-V would fall under daytime. daytime lips would also be shades of pinks, nudes, neutral mauve, plums. they are all easy everyday wearable looks. brown liners, just softer and pretty.

evenning makeup would include looks like the timeless smokey eyes. think glam, sexy, bolder looks. brighter colors, extra shimmer, extra shine, extra glitter, va va voom.

you could also do a bolder daytime, a toned down evenning. just be sure to communicate what you like. look at magazines and photos of potential looks you would like to try. if you dont; like soemthing, speak up and your MA can take it off and try something else?

good luck! im sure u will look great. welcome change and try something new. go for a bolder look
smiles.gif

girloflowers

ooh just the kind of thread i was looking for!
I have my year 12 formal coming up (OK ok its in like 6 or 7 months... whatever im excited)
I already have my dress (floor length halter neck with a sash around the waist that ties at the back, in 1cm alternating red and black stripes)

Annd I want to get my makeup done at MAC, becaue i never have before!

The closest mac counter to me is about 45 mins away so I'm going to get some of my friends to come at the same time so we can all have our hair and makeup done together (andnails etc)

But i was wondering what kind of look you'd suggest to go with such a dramatic dress? I'm a fan of dramatic eye looks, but do you think a neutral eye with a dark lip would look better?
I already have pretty long eyelashes- would falsies be too over the top?

sorry I have so many questions, I'm just curious!
I was going to do my makeup myself,... because i can and its cheaper but i though hell, my dress was cheap as, why not get it done professionally, right?

Babylard

Quote:
Originally Posted by girloflowers
ooh just the kind of thread i was looking for!
I have my year 12 formal coming up (OK ok its in like 6 or 7 months... whatever im excited)
I already have my dress (floor length halter neck with a sash around the waist that ties at the back, in 1cm alternating red and black stripes)

Annd I want to get my makeup done at MAC, becaue i never have before!

The closest mac counter to me is about 45 mins away so I'm going to get some of my friends to come at the same time so we can all have our hair and makeup done together (andnails etc)

But i was wondering what kind of look you'd suggest to go with such a dramatic dress? I'm a fan of dramatic eye looks, but do you think a neutral eye with a dark lip would look better?
I already have pretty long eyelashes- would falsies be too over the top?

sorry I have so many questions, I'm just curious!
I was going to do my makeup myself,... because i can and its cheaper but i though hell, my dress was cheap as, why not get it done professionally, right?

hi, first, i would like to say that you might get better replies under the reccomendations category if you post there. but i will try to answer you
smiles.gif

would you please describe your dress and accessories? im not sure how to answer this because i dont know what the dress looks like, but for example, there was a girl who was also having prom. her dress was purple with silver shoes and accessories. several girls and i suggested that she could do a silvery purple smokey eye with neutral lips.

you could complement your dress colors into your makeup. if your prom involves a lot of eating that would rub off your lipstick, i would go for a dramatic eye and a simple lip color as opposed to neutral eyes and bold lips.. unless you insist on reapplying. at prom, you tend to foget those things and have fun so i would go bold on the eyes.

what color is your dress? it helps if you have a picture and can describe it for us. i think a smokey eye using the colors from your dress is always a winner.

you should at least make sure you describe/show your MA your dress so she knows what colour palettes to match your makeup with. go in knowing what kind of look you want. you could bring in magazine clippings of celebrities too.

if you want to wear false lashes, go ahead! i don't think it would be over the top at all as long as you dont choose super crazy drag queen lashes or something lol. the MA can help you choose a pair that suits you, regardless of what your natural lashes look like. MAC has a nice selection of false lashes like their popular #7.

hope that helps a bit
smiles.gif