What to expect from a MAC makeover?

girloflowers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babylard
hi, first, i would like to say that you might get better replies under the reccomendations category if you post there. but i will try to answer you
smiles.gif

would you please describe your dress and accessories? im not sure how to answer this because i dont know what the dress looks like, but for example, there was a girl who was also having prom. her dress was purple with silver shoes and accessories. several girls and i suggested that she could do a silvery purple smokey eye with neutral lips.

you could complement your dress colors into your makeup. if your prom involves a lot of eating that would rub off your lipstick, i would go for a dramatic eye and a simple lip color as opposed to neutral eyes and bold lips.. unless you insist on reapplying. at prom, you tend to foget those things and have fun so i would go bold on the eyes.

what color is your dress? it helps if you have a picture and can describe it for us. i think a smokey eye using the colors from your dress is always a winner.

you should at least make sure you describe/show your MA your dress so she knows what colour palettes to match your makeup with. go in knowing what kind of look you want. you could bring in magazine clippings of celebrities too.

if you want to wear false lashes, go ahead! i don't think it would be over the top at all as long as you dont choose super crazy drag queen lashes or something lol. the MA can help you choose a pair that suits you, regardless of what your natural lashes look like. MAC has a nice selection of false lashes like their popular #7.

hope that helps a bit
smiles.gif

hey! thanks for the tips! I actually did describe the dress in the first part of my post, but I might go post in reccomendations like you said
smiles.gif

Babylard

Quote:
Originally Posted by girloflowers
hey! thanks for the tips! I actually did describe the dress in the first part of my post, but I might go post in reccomendations like you said
smiles.gif

my bad, i was very tired when i read that lol. good luck with that!

missgiggly

Haha, the currency conversion, oh man, its great in the US but baaad in Australia... to have a makeover here, it costs $95..! Obviously that would buy HEAPS of product, but I think I'm actually just going to do a $120 make up course, end of this month there is a "basic makeup' class, which covers foundation, blush, and a bit of eyes, or I'll wait for smoky eyes. In this class, at least they make you practice on yourself! I can't wait, but NERVOUS cos its only within the last 2 months that I've really only figured out how to use more than 2 colours on my eyes!

Jools

Just wanted to tell you: my makeover was great
yahoo.gif
! The MA was so nice and told me what she did and how, so I'm able to recreate the look at home. I decided to go for purple Eyes with neutral blush and glossy lips. Even my boyfriend was thrilled. It took about 1h and, even though I forgot to ask, she made me a facechart
choochoo.gif
. I'm sooo happy that I did this!

babiid0llox

Quote:
Originally Posted by missgiggly
Haha, the currency conversion, oh man, its great in the US but baaad in Australia... to have a makeover here, it costs $95..! Obviously that would buy HEAPS of product, but I think I'm actually just going to do a $120 make up course, end of this month there is a "basic makeup' class, which covers foundation, blush, and a bit of eyes, or I'll wait for smoky eyes. In this class, at least they make you practice on yourself! I can't wait, but NERVOUS cos its only within the last 2 months that I've really only figured out how to use more than 2 colours on my eyes!

Does the $120 makeup course include product???

Haha thank goodness for your post, I was gonna book a makeover for next week. I think I'm going to wait a bit until Dress Camp comes out over here.

carrieann07

I reccommend the whole "makeover" experience to anyone!

I go to my MAC counter at least once a month or so(depending on if new collections have been launched yet).

It's one of the best rewards I can give myself

SkylarV217

let me ask you guys this, if you wanted them to do your make up for a wedding , and you wanted to test the look first would you have to make 2 purchases

erine1881

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylarV217
let me ask you guys this, if you wanted them to do your make up for a wedding , and you wanted to test the look first would you have to make 2 purchases

it depends on the policy. at my counter, a $50 purchase is required for a makeover fri, sat, and sun (this is suppose to be a company-wide policy, but apparently some places don't follow it). so on the wedding day, you must purchase $50 worth of product. if your trial appt. is on one of those three days, then you have to purchase then as well, which would total 2 purchases.

Triskele

I've read somewhere (probably here someplace >_>) that we can request that the MA does half a face and then we do the other half - is that the lesson appointment? And does anyone know if -all- freestanding stores do this, or does it vary by location?

I love getting makeovers, but I can never recreate the results at home even if I've got the face chart for some reason...so I think it might be good to do a half/half thing.

TIA~

K_ashanti

mac makeovers

i just want to be clear, because i keep hearing different things when you go to the counter and get a amke over you have to buy fifty dollars worth of stuff right??????

basoo

Re: mac makeovers

yah that is right , you have to make a purchase to get the makeover.

Brittni

LOL WTF??? Not to get a consultation!??? REALLY?

They never told me that when I scheduled my consultation....

lol.gif
Well I guess you could always return the stuff if you wanted to be cheap.

Ambonee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brittni
lol.gif
Well I guess you could always return the stuff if you wanted to be cheap.

Seriously?! This was not cool.
ssad.gif

The MUA takes time away to give you a makeover, not being able to sell and possibly sell 3-4x to people just walking up (so they can make their goal and keep their job, seeing as how people are getting laid off left and right because of the economy) and not being able to help other people who may need help. Also when you return the stuff, regardless if you used it or not, it gets tossed away. If it didn't work for you that's one thing but to be wasteful?
thmbdn.gif
This is why they have a price hike every year.

Makeovers are a service. Most counters require a minimum purchase. I worked for Chanel and it was 3 items...that's a lot more than $50. Same w/Lauder, Lancome you name it!

MAC is not even charging you for this service. They are pretty much *giving* you product. If you think about it, if you went to get your hair done, you'd spend anywhere from $40-$300 (depending on what's being done) and you'd leave with only your hair done, no products. Get a make-up artist to your house for a wedding or prom and they'll charge you AT LEAST $50 (more than likely A LOT more) and you won't get anything! At least here you get make-up for the money.

Listen baby, IT'S A SERVICE. Don't be rude and return the items you purchased! If you don't like what the artist used, DON'T BUY IT! Buy something else you've been eyeing, if you're there to get a makeover at MAC, you probably already like the products, buy something you like (or need) and don't return it! Don't waste the artists time. That's just wrong.

/rant

If you're just getting color matched, they don't charge. Eye demo--no charge. During the week most places don't charge. Weekends are busy, Fri-Sun it's $50, if you don't like that, go during the week when it's not so busy.
winks.gif

PaliDNAnge

What if you go to an event they have at some department store counters. Is it still a $50 minimum?

GlamYOURUs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaliDNAnge
What if you go to an event they have at some department store counters. Is it still a $50 minimum?

You bet it is. How else will they try to get you to buy the new products they try on you?

Stephie Baby

I agree with what Ambonee said. I really think its rude for people to go in and just try to get their make up done for the night and not purchase anything. Thats basically wasting the MA's time. If you go in Monday-Thursday, normally its free at counters. Even if you can't spend $50 at the time, get at least something. Come on!! Brush cleaner is only $10.
yes.gif

Brittni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambonee
Seriously?! This was not cool.
ssad.gif

The MUA takes time away to give you a makeover, not being able to sell and possibly sell 3-4x to people just walking up (so they can make their goal and keep their job, seeing as how people are getting laid off left and right because of the economy) and not being able to help other people who may need help. Also when you return the stuff, regardless if you used it or not, it gets tossed away. If it didn't work for you that's one thing but to be wasteful?
thmbdn.gif
This is why they have a price hike every year.

Makeovers are a service. Most counters require a minimum purchase. I worked for Chanel and it was 3 items...that's a lot more than $50. Same w/Lauder, Lancome you name it!

MAC is not even charging you for this service. They are pretty much *giving* you product. If you think about it, if you went to get your hair done, you'd spend anywhere from $40-$300 (depending on what's being done) and you'd leave with only your hair done, no products. Get a make-up artist to your house for a wedding or prom and they'll charge you AT LEAST $50 (more than likely A LOT more) and you won't get anything! At least here you get make-up for the money.

Listen baby, IT'S A SERVICE. Don't be rude and return the items you purchased! If you don't like what the artist used, DON'T BUY IT! Buy something else you've been eyeing, if you're there to get a makeover at MAC, you probably already like the products, buy something you like (or need) and don't return it! Don't waste the artists time. That's just wrong.

/rant

If you're just getting color matched, they don't charge. Eye demo--no charge. During the week most places don't charge. Weekends are busy, Fri-Sun it's $50, if you don't like that, go during the week when it's not so busy.
winks.gif

LMAO. You need to CHILL on the WHACK ATTACK.

I do go during the week (hence the no charge, maybe it's cause I'm nice and they like me -- plus I buy enough anyway) but regardless...my statement was joking HENCE THE
lol.gif
You seriously don't need to jump down someones throat over the internet for a joke. If you want to make a generalized bitchy comment towards everyone, that's fine, but don't direct it towards me next time.
smiles.gif

But yes, of course, I do agree that the MUA spends time with you and they do deserve compensation.

erine1881

not only is it rude, but its theft.

just an fwi, we track returns. if you keep returning, you get flagged, and can no longer return ANYTHING. even if its something that truely didn't work for you, you're stuck with it, all because you conned the company and tried to get a free service that costs very little in the first place.

MAC_mallory

That wasn't really all that bitchy of her.
That wasn't a "whack attack"
She made a very good, valid point, and IMO she wasn't being bitchy.
She was trying to give you information, because your 'joke' wasn't cool.

Next time, instead of getting all flustered, just accept the fact that you were wrong, and don't try to make it seem like someone else was.

I really don't believe she was the one in the wrong, here..
/end.

ms.marymac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brittni
LMAO. You need to CHILL on the WHACK ATTACK.

I do go during the week (hence the no charge, maybe it's cause I'm nice and they like me -- plus I buy enough anyway) but regardless...my statement was joking HENCE THE
lol.gif
You seriously don't need to jump down someones throat over the internet for a joke. If you want to make a generalized bitchy comment towards everyone, that's fine, but don't direct it towards me next time.
smiles.gif

But yes, of course, I do agree that the MUA spends time with you and they do deserve compensation.

It was hard to tell that you were joking, even with the smiley face-sarcasm isn't easy to read, ya know?
smiles.gif
I'm sure she wouldn't have made that comment if she knew you were joking. There are seriously people that share that mindset you were joking about, though.

Latest posts