What to expect from a MAC makeover?

Ambonee

Re: mac makeovers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brittni
LMAO. You need to CHILL on the WHACK ATTACK.

I do go during the week (hence the no charge, maybe it's cause I'm nice and they like me -- plus I buy enough anyway) but regardless...my statement was joking HENCE THE
lol.gif
You seriously don't need to jump down someones throat over the internet for a joke. If you want to make a generalized bitchy comment towards everyone, that's fine, but don't direct it towards me next time.
smiles.gif

But yes, of course, I do agree that the MUA spends time with you and they do deserve compensation.

Sweetie I wasn't trying to make a bitchy comment toward anyone. I commented that what you wrote was not cool because like it or not people actually do it. They will come in and spend $50 (even more) and return it the next day. There is a whole thread called "Bad Customers" that talks about MANY situations about customers stiffing MAC and it's artists.

I read your comment and thought to myself, crap! other people think it's cool to do this! They think it's ok. I didn't take it as a *joke* even with a
lol.gif
I took it (and felt others might take it) as a "ha! it's okay to do this" kind of comment.

There are new members here at specktra, more and more each day and for them to stumble across a post that reads "Mac Makeovers" and read a comment that says, "just return it" they might think "what a great idea" and do it themselves. It just seemed very irresponsible to me. So I commented. I in no way meant to offend you, and I assure you I was very "chill" when I responded. It just sucks as an artist to see people taking it so lightly when I have to see it every time I work. I'm glad you don't do this and you were joking. It's nice that the MA's like you.

Again, I wasn't trying to make a "bitchy comment" if you had specified that you went during the week and that's why you don't have to spend the $50 then we probably wouldn't be having this conversation. But you said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brittni
LOL WTF??? Not to get a consultation!??? REALLY?

They never told me that when I scheduled my consultation....

lol.gif
Well I guess you could always return the stuff if you wanted to be cheap.

so it didn't seem like you knew the answer to the OP's question. You seemed to not know there was a $50 minimum purchase Fri-Sun. However, I assure you, had I known you were joking I would have never even commented back.
smiles.gif

Just to let you know this comment was not meant to offend you either. I just wanted to respond because I really had no idea you were joking and needed to clarify why I had made my comment to begin with.
winks.gif

K_ashanti

i was planning on buy alot of stuff any way ( at least 75-100) as a gift to myself after i have my baby i figure i might as well get a make over too cuz i never got one

K_ashanti

Quote:
Originally Posted by erine1881
not only is it rude, but its theft.

just an fwi, we track returns. if you keep returning, you get flagged, and can no longer return ANYTHING. even if its something that truely didn't work for you, you're stuck with it, all because you conned the company and tried to get a free service that costs very little in the first place.

i agree

Ambonee

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_hood_model
i was planning on buy alot of stuff any way ( at least 75-100) as a gift to myself after i have my baby i figure i might as well get a make over too cuz i never got one

congrat.gif
on the new baby!!!

Go pamper yourself mama! I love getting makeovers! You should go get a mani and pedi when you're done to make a day of pampering complete! You deserve it!
winkiss.gif

K_ashanti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambonee
congrat.gif
on the new baby!!!

Go pamper yourself mama! I love getting makeovers! You should go get a mani and pedi when you're done to make a day of pampering complete! You deserve it!
winkiss.gif

thanks thats a good idea

unbelizable

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuteymcpretty
hiya!

sorry if im gonna be repeating anything buuuuuuuuut here goes!

you dont have to book an appointment, you can generally walk in mon-thur. fri sats and sundays we tend to get fuly booked so i would maybe ring the counter of your choice and make a booking if its for one of those days (sats esp tend to get booked up a few weeks prior cos people tend to go out that night etc)

theres a £25 booking fee, dont know what the american fee is and its all redeemable on the day which is great!

you say your uncomfortable about your skin etc, but dont be.. as a make up artist your trained and you see all types of skin types every day so no one should be like "ewww". if youre more comfortable wearing make up to the counter (so that you dont feel weird walking about without it on) its okay to get the make up artist to take your make up off, or do it yourself when youre there if you feel more comfortable.

the makeovers are awesome though, the artist talks you through step by step application.. and always asks what it is youre used to wearing. what i tend to do, is encourage the customer to try something a little different and they love it everytime because its out of the box.. something theyre not used to so if you wanna do that make sure you mention it, and if you dont like something then say aswell, cos theres nothing worse than having make up on you dont like, itd ruin my day! haha

at the end, the artist should make yuo a facechart and on it is everything she or he has used on you which is good because mayeb you wont want to buy everything straight away and also its there for you to refer to if you want to recreate the look

overall its just a great way to get pampered and get advice, i used to get my make up done frequently from mac a few years back before i worked for them, i loved it, hope you do too!

I noticed you're from Manchester... which store do you work at?!

sofabean

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuteymcpretty
hiya!

sorry if im gonna be repeating anything buuuuuuuuut here goes!

you dont have to book an appointment, you can generally walk in mon-thur. fri sats and sundays we tend to get fuly booked so i would maybe ring the counter of your choice and make a booking if its for one of those days (sats esp tend to get booked up a few weeks prior cos people tend to go out that night etc)

theres a £25 booking fee, dont know what the american fee is and its all redeemable on the day which is great!

you say your uncomfortable about your skin etc, but dont be.. as a make up artist your trained and you see all types of skin types every day so no one should be like "ewww". if youre more comfortable wearing make up to the counter (so that you dont feel weird walking about without it on) its okay to get the make up artist to take your make up off, or do it yourself when youre there if you feel more comfortable.

the makeovers are awesome though, the artist talks you through step by step application.. and always asks what it is youre used to wearing. what i tend to do, is encourage the customer to try something a little different and they love it everytime because its out of the box.. something theyre not used to so if you wanna do that make sure you mention it, and if you dont like something then say aswell, cos theres nothing worse than having make up on you dont like, itd ruin my day! haha

at the end, the artist should make yuo a facechart and on it is everything she or he has used on you which is good because mayeb you wont want to buy everything straight away and also its there for you to refer to if you want to recreate the look

overall its just a great way to get pampered and get advice, i used to get my make up done frequently from mac a few years back before i worked for them, i loved it, hope you do too!

they never do all that for me
ssad.gif

the MA that did my makeover only explained a few things while she was putting them on. also she never listened to what i wanted and put a whole bunch of orange on me...

and i've also found that at the end of the makeover (more than once this has happened) that it's really awkward because that's when you're supposed to pick out what you want to buy, i guess, but the MAs don't say anything and they just keep looking at you... so it's kind of an awkward silence. i wish they'd say something like "so how do you like the makeover? are there any things you like in particular that you'd want to purchase?" or something like that

erine1881

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofabean
and i've also found that at the end of the makeover (more than once this has happened) that it's really awkward because that's when you're supposed to pick out what you want to buy, i guess, but the MAs don't say anything and they just keep looking at you... so it's kind of an awkward silence. i wish they'd say something like "so how do you like the makeover? are there any things you like in particular that you'd want to purchase?" or something like that

i always say that stuff after i finish an appt. "what do you think? do you want me to add anything? take away anything?" i'm sorry that you've had such mute MAs.

Coat

when i had mine does, i felt the most beautiful i have in my entire life, like i actually felt pretty LOL. I've worn makeup before but i'm usually natural but omgg that makeover was amazing and i'm so into mac now. Don't bother going to the body shop for a makeover, theyre not that great, sure the people are trained in doing makeup for people but they arent proffessionals like mac!

stacey4415

The first time i ever went, all i wanted was foundation

she took off my make up, efoliated, moisturised and everything, was v embarrasing as she dragged me through harvey nichols to a spa section to wash it off!!

then she did a full face, she didn't do eye makeup, cause i don't wear eye makeup!!

stacey4415

I disagree, i'm possibly going to offend here; but people shouldn't buy something cause the employee has taken their time to do a make over, they should buy something if they want to

it's likely that if they do buy something, that this attitude is likely to continue where they will be possibly fearful of going into said shop again, and therefore mac wil lose their custom entirely, even if the person did plan to go to mac just for a make over, and never ever intends to buy anything so be it.

i'm sure when mac set up its policies on makeovers, they didn't think everyone would buy something everytime they got a make over, and thus, reinforcing my earlier point, i don't think mac artists need compensation, maybe, one could argue if you were paid fully on comission, yes, but if so, maybe said person is in the wrong job, cause i think it's unreasonable to wish people to buy things whenever they have a make over

what if they want to try something out, with no intention of buying..is that not acceptable

in england, supermarkets sometimes have testers of cheese, say, and i believe that a supermarket would only, in reality, expect about 3% of people who take a tester, to buy it. however, businesses, i believe, enjoy and relish building up a friendly face to their business, one in which, isn't all about profit.

and someone mentioned that mas need as much money as possible, or something to that effect, cause of the economy; well, sorry, but i for one, will not buy something just to help people in the world-wide credit crunch!! why should one pay for something completely out of control?

note, this is not an attack, of any kind, simply my opinions

and to add, before some, make prejudicial thoughts, the FREE make over i had, i bought everything used except the exfoliator, moisturiser etc. i bought, namely, foundation, 190, blush, and powder.

therefore, i will buy the products if i like them and need them

but not to simply compensate said ma for doing their job
, Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephie Baby
I agree with what Ambonee said. I really think its rude for people to go in and just try to get their make up done for the night and not purchase anything. Thats basically wasting the MA's time. If you go in Monday-Thursday, normally its free at counters. Even if you can't spend $50 at the time, get at least something. Come on!! Brush cleaner is only $10.
yes.gif

LMD84

when i was in london last week i went to the pro store and obviously was so insanely busy i was unable to get a make-over (and didnt expect one) but was so pleased that the MA who was helping me tried different blushes on me and such even though they were so busy. and obviously i purchased one of each type of thing we tried (one blush, one paint pot etc...)

but my head office is near a mac store (yay!!) and hopefully i will be going there for a managers meeting soon so will make sure i book a make over at teh mac store. plus during the week hopefully it will be quiet. i always have issues blending so it's more them showing me whihc brushes i need and how to use them properly!!!

Ambonee

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacey4415
I disagree, i'm possibly going to offend here; but people shouldn't buy something cause the employee has taken their time to do a make over, they should buy something if they want to

it's likely that if they do buy something, that this attitude is likely to continue where they will be possibly fearful of going into said shop again, and therefore mac wil lose their custom entirely, even if the person did plan to go to mac just for a make over, and never ever intends to buy anything so be it.

i'm sure when mac set up its policies on makeovers, they didn't think everyone would buy something everytime they got a make over, and thus, reinforcing my earlier point, i don't think mac artists need compensation, maybe, one could argue if you were paid fully on comission, yes, but if so, maybe said person is in the wrong job, cause i think it's unreasonable to wish people to buy things whenever they have a make over

what if they want to try something out, with no intention of buying..is that not acceptable

in england, supermarkets sometimes have testers of cheese, say, and i believe that a supermarket would only, in reality, expect about 3% of people who take a tester, to buy it. however, businesses, i believe, enjoy and relish building up a friendly face to their business, one in which, isn't all about profit.

and someone mentioned that mas need as much money as possible, or something to that effect, cause of the economy; well, sorry, but i for one, will not buy something just to help people in the world-wide credit crunch!! why should one pay for something completely out of control?

and to add, before some, make prejudicial thoughts, the FREE make over i had, i bought everything used except the exfoliator, moisturiser etc. i bought, namely, foundation, 190, blush, and powder.

Sweetie, MAC doesn't charge for eye demo's, foundation matching, helping someone find that perfect red lipstick or just anyone coming in looking for a new product--let's say you want to try out a few blushes. They charge for FULL make-overs. Like bridal make-up, prom, etc. And that is only on the weekends. Monday-Thursday anybody can come in and sit in the chair and not have to purchase a thing they put on them. It's a $50 minimum purchase, which is really not that bad, considering MOST lines do this. I worked at Chanel and a makeover was a three item purchase (and Chanel is pricey, $50 foundation, $30 for shadows...) and it didn't matter what day you came in, it was always a 3 item purchase to have your make-up done. Lancome, Dior and Lauder were them same when I freelanced for them.

Most make-overs take anywhere from a 1/2 hour to an hour. $50 in product is nothing compared to what a bride would spend to have her make-up done by an artist for her wedding, and she gets to keep the make-up! If someone wanted to get their make-up done by a professional for prom they'd pay over that and not get any product, ya know? When people come in and need help deciding on products there is no charge, it's only when you sit down for a full makeover- moisturizer, foundation, eyes, cheeks and lips (and again only on the weekends when it's busy and you're not really being charged, you get to keep what you buy) when you need to purchase the minimum. --and as a sidenote, you don't have to purchase what the artist uses, it can be any products you want as long as the total is a minimum of $50.

Too many people already take advantage of this service (by returning products after the make-over--and I mean the bride who buys $300 in products and returns it all used the day AFTER the wedding, not the girl who realized her foundation was just a little too dark--those returns don't bother me...) If people don't want to pay the minimum, that's fine, come in during the week when it's not so busy, it really is that simple.
smiles.gif

**and I'm not attacking anyone either, I wanted to clarify and try and answer some of your concerns**
winks.gif

Ruby Lou

My biggest tips would be:

- If you don't know what you want, bring some pictures.

- If you don't like something, don't be afraid to say so. It's YOUR make over.

- Don't give the artist a hard time about the minimum purchase. It's company policy.

Ruby Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambonee
Sweetie, MAC doesn't charge for eye demo's, foundation matching, helping someone find that perfect red lipstick or just anyone coming in looking for a new product--let's say you want to try out a few blushes. They charge for FULL make-overs. Like bridal make-up, prom, etc. And that is only on the weekends. Monday-Thursday anybody can come in and sit in the chair and not have to purchase a thing they put on them. It's a $50 minimum purchase, which is really not that bad, considering MOST lines do this. I worked at Chanel and a makeover was a three item purchase (and Chanel is pricey, $50 foundation, $30 for shadows...) and it didn't matter what day you came in, it was always a 3 item purchase to have your make-up done. Lancome, Dior and Lauder were them same when I freelanced for them.

Most make-overs take anywhere from a 1/2 hour to an hour. $50 in product is nothing compared to what a bride would spend to have her make-up done by an artist for her wedding, and she gets to keep the make-up! If someone wanted to get their make-up done by a professional for prom they'd pay over that and not get any product, ya know? When people come in and need help deciding on products there is no charge, it's only when you sit down for a full makeover- moisturizer, foundation, eyes, cheeks and lips (and again only on the weekends when it's busy and you're not really being charged, you get to keep what you buy) when you need to purchase the minimum. --and as a sidenote, you don't have to purchase what the artist uses, it can be any products you want as long as the total is a minimum of $50.

Too many people already take advantage of this service (by returning products after the make-over--and I mean the bride who buys $300 in products and returns it all used the day AFTER the wedding, not the girl who realized her foundation was just a little too dark--those returns don't bother me...) If people don't want to pay the minimum, that's fine, come in during the week when it's not so busy, it really is that simple.
smiles.gif

**and I'm not attacking anyone either, I wanted to clarify and try and answer some of your concerns**
winks.gif

EXACTLY. Perfect answer.

darkwater_soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacey4415

Here's the thing to your answers, though - you aren't being FORCED to buy it. The fee they set up is just that - a fee. Now, if you go in and book time with an MA, and choose not to buy anything - then the fee goes to pay for thier time off the selling floor. If you do like what they used, or want to purchase other products, then the "fee" turns into credit, that is applied to the products you want. You don't have to technically buy anything, but a lot of cosmetic companies have gone to this, when they realized that thier artists are being exploited for labor that isn't justified. A number of customers think that applying makeup isn't a big deal, and shouldn't have to pay - but other cosmetics services (waxing, hair, nails, etc) charge for thier services. It's unfair to those of us who make our living doing this.

And you also said some things about businesses not being all about profit? Where do you live that this is so? Businesses have 1 thing - money. All other things can't happen unless they have money to run. They can't make or distribute products, they can't pay staff, open stores... etc. If a supermarket put out a tester of cheese and only expected 3% to buy, I guarantee they would no longer waste the money putting out a tester. If it costs more money to test a product than what they would make just selling it, than there is your answer.

"therefore, i will buy the products if i like them and need them

but not to simply compensate said ma for doing their job"

We WANT you to like the products you buy! We would never want you to buy something you don't want - and most people come in to a makeover with SOMETHING in mind, a new eye look, new foundation, what have you. We are FINE with that, it's just the few people that unfortunately have ruined it, by expecting free services with no buying at all, abuse of the MA's by expecting unreasonable things, or flat out having it done and returning things, which raises prices and increases wastes. And why would you not want to compensate your MA? If they did well, and you like it, and you had the money to spend, why WOULDN'T you take it with you? Would you let your boss not pay you for a mfew hours because they just didn't want to? I know it's not that extreme, but in some cases where MA's for different small companies where they only have commission it is.

Not attacking, just letting you know that from our point of view it's very different and a lot of us have had to deal with very stupid and draining people and situations before.