What to expect from a MAC makeover?

Ruby Lou

I gotta say one more thing. Sorry. haha

MAC MA's are providing a service. There is a minimum purchase expected for that purchase. Freestanding MACs just have a straight up fee. Here's the thing. Would you ever, in a million years, walk into a salon or spa and expect your hair or nails done for free? Of course not.

Then why do people think make up is any different?

nelyanaphonexia

I have a question. I've had my makeup done at a counter in a department store and I know the rules for the counters and freestanding stores. But, I have my engagement pictures coming up and I wanted to get my makeup done at a PRO store. Now, ever time I go into a pro store I usually buy $200 worth of stuff simply because I don't have one very close to me.

But, having said all of that. How far in advance should I book an appointment? I wanted to work with a specific MA and hopefully she will be available. I'm getting the pics done in late Aug,
yahoo.gif
and I was wondering if there are any "special" rules to getting a makeover at a PRO store and how far in advance I would want to book the appointment.

Also, questions number 2:

I am getting married in Dec. and I wanted to get my makeup done for my wedding at the PRO store in Northpark. I know one person would be fine, but could the rest of my bridal party make appointments to get their makeup done as well? Because I wouldn't want to be rude and take up the stores whole morning with just me and my bridal party when they might be loosing other customers. (I have five bridesmaids, and of course my mom)

Would that be too many? (seven people total) We would probably all be buying stuff afterwards if that makes any difference.

Does MAC frown upon large groups of people coming in for an event like that?
ssad.gif
I really hope not cause I think it would be amazing if everyone could get their makeup done for my wedding.
th_DANCE.gif

Shaquille

nelyana, try to book your appointment as far as possible to make sure that your make up artist isn't booked by anyone else.

And I quote from MAC's website: If you are interested in having a M·A·C Artist attend a private function, please contact a M·A·C store in your area.

So for your wedding, I suggest you book a MAC make up artist to attend your wedding for the make up. What is your reason for wanting to go to a PRO store anyways?

aimerbijoux

this thread is SO much help! I have always wanted a MAC makeover by a professional MA but I have been a little intimidated just because I didn't know what to expect. I plan on booking an appt soon
smiles.gif

animecute

Re: mac makeovers

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacey4415
in england, supermarkets sometimes have testers of cheese, say, and i believe that a supermarket would only, in reality, expect about 3% of people who take a tester, to buy it.

That's why we have testers for swatching. Hence, the demos and makeovers have a different value.

nelyanaphonexia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaquille
What is your reason for wanting to go to a PRO store anyways?

thanks for the info!

My fav. MA works at the PRO store around the same area where I'm getting married. It's like...a 12 min drive from the church I'm getting married at to the mall with the PRO store.
yes.gif
So, why not have someone I really like and trust with my makeup doing my wedding when they are so close and I can go in a snoop around at all the delicious PRO products.
drools.gif

genduk26

Hi everyone,
I always have makeover done with Dior or Chanel. Of course I buy their stuff first then I get makeover & I never return the items I bought. Anyway, I always want to get makeover with MAC but I'm not sure about something... The thing is whenever I go to Dior/Chanel, they always use one time use (dispose) tool such sponge, etc. So I'm not worried my oily or zits will spread to another customer. As far as I know MAC MA use their perm brushes to do makeover & I don't have anything to against that. My face gets oily very fast & sometimes I get 1 or 2 zit/acnes. I feel so dirty because the oil on my face & I always clean my face very well before I go out. Right now I'm thinking to get makeover with MAC for the first time when Overrich & Cult of Cherry collections come out. My questions:
1. Will the MA clean up their brushes VERY GOOD after they use it on my face? I REALLY don't want to spread my bacterias to the MA & other customers. Preventing is better before it's too late.
2. How far in advance should I book for this collection? With Dior/Chanel I just walk-in.
3. I plan to buy 6 pigments from Overrich & 1 e/s squad from CoC. Is it wrong to get makeover from the items that I won't buy from these collections?
4. Should I give tips to MA after it's done?

Sorry, too much questions & bad english
winks.gif

erine1881

Quote:
Originally Posted by genduk26
1. Will the MA clean up their brushes VERY GOOD after they use it on my face? I REALLY don't want to spread my bacterias to the MA & other customers. Preventing is better before it's too late.

yes. we clean all the brushes used very thoroughly after each and every person.

2. How far in advance should I book for this collection? With Dior/Chanel I just walk-in.

the sooner you book the better. depending on the popularity of the collection, spaces fill up fast. the sooner you book, the better chance you'll have of getting your favorite artist at a time that works best for you.

walk-ins are welcome, but they aren't a guarantee that you'll get in. if an event is booked up or they are running behind on appts, its highly likely that you'll be waiting a long time to get squeezed in, and even after waiting all that time, they might not be able to get to you.

3. I plan to buy 6 pigments from Overrich & 1 e/s squad from CoC. Is it wrong to get makeover from the items that I won't buy from these collections?

you never have to buy what is used on you during your appt. weekends and events just require a $50 purchase. there's no rule as to what you are required to buy (except that it has to be MAC. you'd be surprised as to how many people think that a $50 clothing purchase counts
fool.gif
)

4. Should I give tips to MA after it's done?

only if you feel like it. some regions don't accept tips, some do. you aren't required to tip.

Sorry, too much questions & bad english
winks.gif

answers in bold.

Nadeshda

Just to be sure... the costumer is charged the fee when there's a full face application, right? I'm thinking of buying a blush and maybe a bronzer, but I'd like to try them out on my face (all the face powders I've bought have been only swatched on my hand when I was at the store and they didn't turn out the way I expected on my face
ssad.gif
). Could I be charged for that?

Also, does anyone know how much is the makeover in Europe and if it follows the same US standards regarding the days in which we have to pay and the ones we don't?

erine1881

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadeshda
Just to be sure... the costumer is charged the fee when there's a full face application, right? I'm thinking of buying a blush and maybe a bronzer, but I'd like to try them out on my face (all the face powders I've bought have been only swatched on my hand when I was at the store and they didn't turn out the way I expected on my face
ssad.gif
). Could I be charged for that?

Also, does anyone know how much is the makeover in Europe and if it follows the same US standards regarding the days in which we have to pay and the ones we don't?

not sure how it works overseas, but here is the states there is a fee, depending on what/when.

monday-thursday its free of charge. friday-sunday and during events the customer is required to purchase $50 worth of product to have their makeup done, whether its a full face, eye/lips/cheeks or just eyes. all three of these are considered an application.

if you are just wanting to try a powder/foundation/blush to color match, there is no charge.

call your local counter/store to see what the rules are in your country.

magia

I was in a makeover here in Finland. I was so, so disappointed!

I went there almost bareface, I had only my mineral foundation and concealer under my eyes, because I don't want any makeup foundation to my face! I curled my lashes as well.

MA started asking what colours I usually wear in my makeup, and what colours are hard to use for me. I said that I usually have brown, peach and plum / lilac, and that greens and blues are a bit harded ones to me. She asked if I would like to learn use greens, and I said yes. Then she grabbed two (only!) eyeshadows, Juxt and Humid. Under eyemakeup she put some concealer, and I wondered why didn't she put so much better Paint pots. So she did my makeup with only two colours, without any highlighting shade! Nothing to brow bone! IMO not so professional..

Then she put Fluidline Sweet sage, and line wasn't straight, I can do it myself much better. There was really too much space between eyeliner and lashline! Horrible, right? Then she put so little mascara, that it really hasn't no matter was it there or wasn't. (When I got home, I put more mascara..)

Edit. Makeup here in Finland doesn't cost anything, but you must buy at least three products. It isn't a problem for me..
winks.gif

She also put so little higlight to my cheekbones and blush to my cheeks, that I think brush just touched my face a bit.

But..! She put so much lipgloss, that it couldn't stay just on my lips, it run to my mouth and face. I immediately took it off my lips when I got out of there.

OMG.

Edit. Makeup is free here in Finland, but you need to buy at least three products. But that isn't a problem, am I right?
greengrin.gif

erine1881

Quote:
Originally Posted by genduk26
Thank you Erine for all of your answers.
flower.gif

you're very welcome my dear.
winkiss.gif

Nadeshda

Thank you so much for your inputs, Erine and Magia
smiles.gif
And yes, I'm planning on buying at least 3 items... as long as there's money, I'm buying
greengrin.gif
(although, technically, my bf is the one buying since it's my birthday present
choochoo.gif
)

seonmi

I'm gonna moving to a place where there is no MAC nearby so I plan on having a makeover next week before the move. You guys make me so excited. I have a question, though. I'm thinking about going to the MAC counter after work. But I definitely need to wear makeup to work. So is it ok if I go in the makeover with makeup (on my dirty face after 9 hours of work)? Or do I need to wash it all off before coming in?

magia

Seonmi: Here in Finland they can wash your makeup off, if you can't or don't want to go without makeup. I think that they do the same everywhere.
smiles.gif

Heiaken

magia: I was thinking of getting a makeover, but what you said makes me hesitate.. Did you book it before hand or just walked in?

magia

Heiaken: I booked it about week before makeover.

My first makeover experience wasn't so great, but I'm still going there again sometimes. No need to say that I'm hoping to get another MA?
winks.gif
I can't go there so often, and it's sure that I buy at least those three products, so it's the same price will I go to makeover or not, so I'll do it. Maybe I'll get some new ideas next time, you never know.
smiles.gif

seonmi

I'm kinda nervous now. I just called the MAC counter today and made an appointment for Wednesday. I really hope to meet a good MUA and be able to buy what I want.
And, here in the US, weekday makeovers require $50 of purchase, so it's not free like in Europe, I guess.