What Trend Do You Wish Would Go Away

TSIZ

Not to toot my own horn, but I am usually spot on when it comes to predicting fashion trends. The '90's started off pretty f-ing bad, launching into the "GenX" era and grunge and all that crap (hey, I'm one of them, so I can talk $#!T step offff). And I officially said it out loud over Memorial Day Weekend (LAST year), that this decade (how do you call it? the '00's?) has hit an all time low.

Every decade is in: the '40's, '50's, '60's, 70's, and UGH...the '80's. It's cool that it's a hodge-podge mix out there so everyone can do whatever they want. It's a fashion free-for-all, and that's fine for the people.

I'm upset that "haute couture" coming down the runways is, for the most part, lacking ingenuity. I look at that stuff and think, "hey, I can get away with that!" When haute couture becomes something "the people" can wear, then it's not that interesting anymore. I know many complain about runway fashion and how nobody can wear that stuff IRL. DUH. It's a "show". It's a stylistic expression of ideas; an "exaggeration", an "Alice In Wonderland"-esque explanation of what the designer house's pret-a-porter/off-the-rack theme for the season's new collection.

Wait, what was the original question? Oh GAWD. I don't usually toot my own horn...yadayadayada...When I saw Skinny Jeans and Leggings, I said, "no. way." THIS is NOT going to last. The '80's is still something to be made fun of, not "ready" to be brought back as couture (again, these were my formative years, I wore my fair share of shoulder pads and Flock O' Seagulls hair so back off).

And O.M.G. 4? years later...the leggings and skinny jeans are still going strong. WTF? How wrong was I? Just when jean companies finally made jeans "wearable" for all (high rises that act as corsets and lengthen the legs, wide legged pants to balance out the hips, etc.), they revert back to that which only the thin can wear. Shut up, I'm one of them, so I can talk S#!T, but it doesn't make this fashion trend "right".

Let's keep the leggings in yoga class and skinny jeans for the '80's-themed parties. My li'l sister's friends have had an "It's A Cosby-Christmas" every year for the last...decade. It used to be fun to get her all dressed up in my old cheezy clothes. Now it's like NOT a costume party. It's "in". Except for the "dad sweaters". A prize goes to the guy that has the wackiest sweater (a la Cliff Huxtable/Bill Cosby), so that part is fun. But other than that, the last Cosby Christmas looked like nobody gave a rat's ass. NOT cool people, not cool.

Let's just stash those things away for another decade or two, when everybody will be thin b/c we will have drained all of our natural resources including food.

luvsic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willa
Guess what????

I was looking at another board I used to go on (in french), and a girl posted a question to everyone, asking where she could find a skirt like that, that she loved her old one sooooo much

o_0

I was dying to answer : girl, move on!

you gotta be kidding me
th_LMAO.gif
mannn those skirts were half past cool a decade ago.

cno64

Quote:
Originally Posted by TISH1127
^^ True...for those who can stand Stacy London.

I don't always agree with her, but I love the show.
Back to topic: I have no particular loathing for flip-flops themselves, as long as they're clean, and lacking visible fungus. Flip-flops are fine at the beach, the pool, in the back yard (unless you have fire ants!), but lately they're bloomin' EVERYWHERE!

They've been worn to worship services at church, to formal weddings, even to funerals.
eeksign.gif

If it's a meaningful event, at least take the time to find your good shoes, already!

Shimmer

Speaking of funeral attire, I attended a funeral this weekend and saw things I never thought I'd see at a funeral.
*Ripped jeans.
*Flip flops.
*Tank tops.
*Spaghetti strap dresses.
*Miniskirts.
*backless shirts.
*Bare shoulders.
*Red, blue, orange, lime green attire.

I somewhat give them a pass, because most of these were 15-19 year old kids who'd never been to the funeral of a peer before, and don't necessarily 'know' from experience what proper attire is. A white spaghetti strap dress with cherries and a red sash IS NOT appropriate or respectful funeral attire. I don't offend easily, usually at all. This weekend I was mortified for those kids, because SOME adult in their life hasn't taken the time to teach them what to wear to show a family respect.

My daughter is 12 and she knew to put on a nice knee length skirt, black flats, and a black button up top. She was dressed appropriately, and looked like a young lady. My son wore a collared shirt and a belt and unripped jeans and nice shoes. HOW HARD IS THAT?

Grr.

TISH1124

Yeah I see this all the time on my husband's side of the family...I thought they were all just retarded and ghetto!! Guess there are others like his folks wondering around. Sad....they multiply

gildedangel

^^ I know! I went to my cousin's wedding and people showed up in tube tops, miniskirts (the kind that are more like belts than skirts), and flip flops, and this was about 1/4 of the audience for the actual wedding (not the reception, the ceremony)! A trend that has been around for awhile that I hate is fringe!!! Eww!

Brie

^^ I was actually having this conversation the other day about how people just have no idea how to dress for any occasion really. I mean even at the mall, some of the things people think that is appropriate to go shopping in is what I would call house or sleep ware, lol!

cupcake_x

Quote:
Originally Posted by cno64
I don't always agree with her, but I love the show.
Back to topic: I have no particular loathing for flip-flops themselves, as long as they're clean, and lacking visible fungus. Flip-flops are fine at the beach, the pool, in the back yard (unless you have fire ants!), but lately they're bloomin' EVERYWHERE!

They've been worn to worship services at church, to formal weddings, even to funerals.
eeksign.gif

If it's a meaningful event, at least take the time to find your good shoes, already!

I don't think I could agree with this post more
eyelove.gif

Shimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brie
^^ I was actually having this conversation the other day about how people just have no idea how to dress for any occasion really. I mean even at the mall, some of the things people think that is appropriate to go shopping in is what I would call house or sleep ware, lol!

I'm sorry, but haven't these people seen movies where people go to funerals and they're dressed in respectful, "Sunday best" type of clothes?
Or weddings where people are dressed appropriately?
Haven't they had ANY exposure to what is appropriate and right and where the HELL are their parents?

jani04

Harem pants. Yes they might be super comfy but they only look ok and fashionable (by fashionable I mean it was seen on catwalks thus it's trendy) on skinny tall folks.

Brie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmer
I'm sorry, but haven't these people seen movies where people go to funerals and they're dressed in respectful, "Sunday best" type of clothes?
Or weddings where people are dressed appropriately?
Haven't they had ANY exposure to what is appropriate and right and where the HELL are their parents?

I think the problem is that they just don't care ?? Its the only way to explain it. That, and maybe their parents are the same way also??

SuSana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briar
Whoever decided that flip-flops were appropriate business attire has a lot to answer for.
th_dunno.gif

In my office, flip-flops & slippers. I work at a court. Are you serious?

xsnowwhite

okay yeah noooo to the harem pants. I don't care what any fashion people tell me, they're hideous. Also, can we be done with uggs and shorts? I cant even count the number of those I see at my school. The thought of wearing a fur boot on a day hot enough to wear a miniskirt is gross enough.

cno64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmer

I wonder the same thing!
NO WAY would my mother have let me set one toe out the front door to go to a funeral as a teen if I'd been wearing a dress with cherries on it!
nope.gif

My mother is 5' 1", but she would have stopped me somehow!

cno64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brie
I mean even at the mall, some of the things people think that is appropriate to go shopping in is what I would call house or sleep ware, lol!

I feel like such an old fogey in this area (I'm 45), because I distinctly remember getting dressed up to go to the mall when I was a teen!
By "dressed up," of course, I don't mean a designer suit or a cocktail dress, I mean nice jeans, a nice flattering top, makeup and jewelry.
I very often had the thought, "Does this look nice enough to wear to ...?"
My, how things have changed!
eeksign.gif

metal_romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cno64
I wonder the same thing!
NO WAY would my mother have let me set one toe out the front door to go to a funeral as a teen if I'd been wearing a dress with cherries on it!
nope.gif

My mother is 5' 1", but she would have stopped me somehow!

At the last funeral I went to, the granddaughter of the deceased was wearing an outfit with multiple skulls on it. Now, I love skulls... but not in this context.
nope.gif

cno64

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal_romantic
it's so mean... but I can't stop laughing....
th_LMAO.gif

I feel the same!
It's sort of like witnessing a train wreck; you're horrified, but you just can't stop looking.
WHAT is with this mindset "If I'm not stark naked, I'm fine to leave the house!"
jawdrop.gif

cno64

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal_romantic
At the last funeral I went to, the granddaughter of the deceased was wearing an outfit with multiple skulls on it. Now, I love skulls... but not in this context. Dead person... coffin... skulls!?
nope.gif

I completely agree!
Some element of respect seems to be lacking here ...
icon_eek.gif