When do you think girls should start wearing makeup?

PolyphonicLove

So...I was linked to this vid:

CosmeticLove190's MAC Haul

And I'm annoyed as hell.

This chick is 13, and talking about MAC, - yet it sounds as if she doesn't know what the fuck she or her friend are talking about.

"Its lipglass, not lipgloss, lipGLASS!" Seriously, come on.

I didn't wear makeup until I was 14, and all I had was a Mark. compact. When I did get makeup, it was usually The Color Workshop or something of the sort. I feel as if anyone younger than 14 shouldn't be concerned with trips to Sephora, let alone MAC. Hell, I didn't learn about MAC or Sephora until I was 17! I don't understand why young girls are so concerned about vanity these days. Be a goddamn child.

Thoughts/opinions?

jbid

i think it's ok for a 13 yo to use ds lipglosses but that's it. maybe powder and concealer for a 15-16 yo, but heavy eye make up, eyeliners, etc. shouldn't start until (at least) 18. (sorry specktra teenagers!)
personally i didn't put on any make up until my hs graduation (i was 19) and i didn't really start until 27. but i have a 17 yo sister, my mom (and i) didn't let her do any blush or e/s until recently. (except for special occasions like my wedding lol) they're naturally glowing, why spoil it?

florabundance

Honestly, it upsets me when i see 11, 12, 13 year olds dressing and acting like grown women. Not grown in the sense of maturity, but just giving off a totally purposeful sexual image. It angers me because I know if i ever had pulled anything like that, my mother would be the first to put me in my place, and sometimes I think certain parents can be too freakin leanient.

My mother never told me not to wear make up or embrace my femininity, but to me, femininity when you're a "tween" or whatever they call it, and when you're 18 (which i am now) are two totally different things.

EDIT: Essentially, I think it's important that girls don't lose sight of the implications of their age. There is make up that looks cute and playful, and then there is the make up of adult women. I think there are important differences between these two things.

GlossyAbby

I started wearing makeup in 7th grade....I hope my daughter waits and doesn't start wearing it til 14....She is 3 and already is obsessed with sneaking my lip gloss.. I wont mind if she wants lip gloss at 11 but full makeup can def. wait! Once she turns 15 though she is totally getting a mac consultation so she can learn pretty and LIGHT aplication...you nkow she wont listen to her mom but a ma of course
smiles.gif

ductapemyheartt

i mean, it's awesome that younger kids like mac, but i do agree with you, these girls seem to not know much about it.

i kind of agree with young kids not wearing makeup but, my little sister is turning twelve next month and is allowed to start wearing makeup. honestly, i would rather have her wear mac and show her how to make it look good than for her to smear some crappy silver eyeshadow across her lid and have black raccoon eyes.

i was one who never wore makeup other than lipsmacker lipgloss [lol!] until i was eighteen years old...so i understand about not wearing makeup until you are older.

M.A.C. head.

It just looks like girls having fun to me. So what if they're talking about MAC, it means their parents can afford it and will buy it for them. They like make up, just like us, but they are a lot younger and have less experience so they sound a bit juvenile. It's not a big deal, at least I don't think so.

lovekrumpet

I completely agree with M.A.C Head. Makeup is about having fun, which is exactly what being young is about. The two seem to me like they go hand-in-hand.
But then again, based off the responses so far, I would have been one of the "kids" people seem to find so upsetting.
I started wearing makeup when I was 11 or 12, though I didn't do it in a "full face" way. I tended to like wearing hot-pink winged liner, neon-green mascara, and the like. I went for the "eccentric" style of makeup instead of the more "conventional". In any case, I am now 17 and am working towards a career in make-up artistry (since that is what I love).
I am so thankful my mother let me be myself and express myself how I wanted too that way I could find the path and career I will truely love. =)
Just my two cents.

Shimmer

I'm sorry. I couldn't watch that video without laughing at the lisps as they worked their vocabulary around their braces. I'm a bad person, I know.

I blogged about this subject on SBN in the past, and I stand by my position that it's something that is completely relative to the maturity of the child in question, and one's own parenting technique. What works for me and my daughter may or may not work for someone else.
smiles.gif

pretebrowneyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovekrumpet
I completely agree with M.A.C Head. Makeup is about having fun, which is exactly what being young is about. The two seem to me like they go hand-in-hand.
But then again, based off the responses so far, I would have been one of the "kids" people seem to find so upsetting.
I started wearing makeup when I was 11 or 12, though I didn't do it in a "full face" way. I tended to like wearing hot-pink winged liner, neon-green mascara, and the like. I went for the "eccentric" style of makeup instead of the more "conventional". In any case, I am now 17 and am working towards a career in make-up artistry (since that is what I love).
I am so thankful my mother let me be myself and express myself how I wanted too that way I could find the path and career I will truely love. =)
Just my two cents.

I totally agree with this. I have a 12 yr old daughter that loves all things eccentric and is not into the "grownupness" of makeup. She wears my blue, orange and aqua nail polish. When she hits about 14, ready to go to high school...I'd totally be ok with her wearing the glitter liners, colorful lipglosses and a little colorful eyeshadow on the lid. To me...it's fun and more kid like than letting her get into full face makup. I'd save that for closer to 18 and special occasions. I let her express hersefl this way because it's fun, it keeps her from sneaking makeup behind my back...and it brings us closer because I love it too. As far as *tweens* buying MAC or hitting up Sephora....it depends on the circumstances to me. I may throw my daughter a lipgloss or cool something or other if she happens to be with me when I'm shopping...but having whole collections of high end product just because is a bit much and teaches that beauty is about money and status....not about what's inside and bringing beauty out. In the words of Jay Z....these are just my thoughts

MissCrystal

goodness when i was in middle school all i wore was lip smackers and then into high school all i wore was foundation and mascara i didn't get into mac until i was 20 which was last year and into all the blushes/blending until i was 21

I didn't even know what mac was when i was their age @ Jasmin .. i dunno the thing that bothers me is i think mac is more targeted at the older generation of girls not for a middle school's
th_dunno.gif

xsnowwhite

I started wearing a little makeup in 8th grade so I guess I was 14ish? All I wore was some concealer (I had really bad acne) and a little mascara. I now see some of my sisters friends and wow they wear just as much if not more than I do now! They all wear eyeshadow, blush, eyeliner, everything! Even now I get so lazy I barely want to wear any hah.

melliquor

My daughter is 12 1/2 and has been asking about wearing makeup for over a year now. I don't have a problem with her wearing makeup but she already looks older than 12, around 14-15 and I don't want guys looking at her because they think she might be older.

I let her wear lipgloss that is sheer and only has a bit of sparkle on her lips... nothing too dark or bright yet. Sometimes, she is allowed to wear eyeliner on her waterline... that is the biggest thing with the girls in her school now... black eyeliner in waterline and mascara. It isn't overtop. She isn't allowed to wear e/s or blush or anything else.

I let her use my makeup and practice putting it on but when she leaves the house... it comes off. I want her to remain a child and not to rush growing up. She can start wearing eyeshadow when she is 14-15... not sure yet. When she gets 13, I told her she can wear eyeliner and a little mascara and maybe go to pink glosses.

Her dad... doesn't want her wearing ANY makeup until she is 18. He is very strict on what she should wear and makeup.

cutiebe2

I think its okay to experiment with makeup (my friend used to put eyeliner on me although it would end up on my crease
tong.gif
) but young girls should not be wearing mac. In the end its up to their parents. Yeah maybe some girls did and grew up okay...but for others it lead to being overly concerned with appearance, too much shooping when they should be saving, etc.

MissCrystal

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasminbarley
Do you think that it will 'bring down' the brand and/or are you feeling territorial?

no why would it bring down the brand .. im just saying from what i've seen around me whenever i go to my mac store i don't see little girls buying mac and i guess where i live mac is mostly targeted towards the older generations. I dunno for some reason it just doesnt fit 13 year old girls and mac just like what melliquor said these girls should remain a child not rush to put on makeup with smoked out eyes and stuff.

And watching that video of those girls on youtube i dunno it just looked kinda weird not because i couldn't afford mac when i was their age, to me it just looked like there were trying to hard if u watch the video closely u can pick up on it ( the only reason is because im a crim student an we always have to watch videos and pick up on certain things)trying act like the older girls on youtube, and look at the way she just threw the neo sci fi eyeshadow on her bed like it was nothing, i would never throw my babies like that. I feel the older generation of girls apperciate mac more, and the younger girls just wear it because its cool

thats just how i feel about it

Janice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasminbarley
Regarding the girls in the video talking about MAC, I must agree with M.A.C. head, I don't really understand why you're annoyed at their ignorance, unless it's really because you're annoyed that they can afford MAC and you couldn't at their age.
th_dunno.gif

I don't think what MACHead was implying exactly what you are suggesting. To me, the suggestion that some participants in this thread are simply jealous that "they couldn't afford MAC at that age" is an inflammatory and preposterous statement.

The casual tossing of a MES makes me cringe (because we all know how delicate they can be), the wiping of the brush with indifference to the proper care, the swiping of the shadow with fingers, etc all cause some amount of discomfort when watching the video BUT only because a) I am a germaphobe and b) in a couple of years the involved parties are going to watch it again and realize the same things for themselves.

pet peeve/soapbox - I don't get WHY parents allow their children to have (unsupervised) cell phones with camera and/or webcams.

Shimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janice
pet peeve/soapbox - I don't get WHY parents allow their children to have (unsupervised) cell phones with camera and/or webcams.

My God.
You do want me to rant don't you?

*Stargazer*

I'm not a good person to answer this question. My 5 year old has on Digit e/s and her 3 year old sister is running around leaving Algorithm kiss marks on her brother.

MiCHiE

They're just emulating what they already see on YT. Cute, but they can't touch lilchocolatema's reviews, LOL!