When do you think girls should start wearing makeup?

brokenxbeauty

I don't find it to be too big of a deal as long as the child's parents are okay with it. If the girl isn't doing it for the wrong reasons - like trying to look older to impress boys - but are truly just interested, what's the big deal?
I was allowed to start wearing makeup when I was 12, just entering 7th grade. My grandma sells Avon and was really excited, as was I. At first I went a bit overboard but it didn't take me long to figure out I was wearing too much. I stuck with basic eyeliner, mascara, and lipgloss for years.
Then in high school I started using eyeshadow too, though not always and would do full face makeup for special occassions like homecoming and prom.
This past school year I've just become really interested in makeup and experimenting and I'm ecstatic that we have a Sephora (just opened about a month ago) now! I still don't wear full face makeup everyday because I don't feel the need (I'm sixteen, soon to be seventeen, by the way.)

Heiaken

What concerns me the most is the fact tha the gilr on the left is defintaley wearing bush up bras with that revealing top when she's on display on the net. What a great "meatrack" for all pedofiles..

Heiaken

I first started using make up when I was something around 12-13 but it was just a bit of powder, brown eyelinr and black mascara. And very cheap stuff I my ad.
It really depens on the person what is the proper age but I'd say that youger that twelwe year olds really should be bothering them selfs wiht make up.

animecute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heiaken
What concerns me the most is the fact tha the gilr on the left is defintaley wearing bush up bras with that revealing top when she's on display on the net. What a great "meatrack" for all pedofiles..

I honestly hate it when girls do that. Whenever I see girls like that with attitude, I have this urge to slap them and tell them to cover up.

I think that pedofiles most likely would go for the girl that seems less show-offy and "rejected" and in the corner because they are easier to pick up, more gullible, and less suspectable. With that said, I think they'd like those "showoffy" girls online as a fetish to look at.

Heiaken

Quote:
Originally Posted by animecute
I think that pedofiles most likely would go for the girl that seems less show-offy and "rejected" and in the corner because they are easier to pick up, more gullible, and less suspectable. With that said, I think they'd like those "showoffy" girls online as a fetish to look at.

I admit, I really wasn't thinking it all through. So maybe not the pedofiles, but how about those men/boys who are going take advantage of them when they think that the girl is at least sixteen when she's just twelwe.. It's just so sad that the girls don't understand that as acting like grown ups isn't just fun but it's somehing that can get the into serious trouble..

minakokanmuri

i go a private school and some girls in my year started wearing makeup in sixth grade. i begged my mom to let me, but she gave me a flat out no. later on, i was allowed to do light makeup for special occassions, and even then it was stuff from bonnebell, nyc, maybelline, etc. now in high school, makeup is something to cheer me up from the drudgery of going to school every morning. now i see how ridiculous it was for me to want to wear makeup daily at the age of 11.

i feel that these little girls who wear makeup need to be told that it's what inside that counts the most. and that they should embrace their youth and not grow up too fast because you're only a child once!

glam8babe

i think its getting worse now... i didnt get my first mac til i was 16, and when i was 15 i started getting Dior stuff with my pocket money.
I started wearing makeup properly at about 14 and it was stuff ike maybelline.

These girls are gonna be bored of all the high end gorgeous makeup by the time they hit 18 because they've had it all

seriously.

one of my cousins is 8 years old and she told me about this girl in her class at scool "oh yeh she has spray tans every week, her hair is bleached and her mum takes her to get her nails done all the time" i was just so shocked and disgusted.

sweetbabyblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissChievous
That last video makes me cringe. You have to ask yourself where these young girls are getting the money to buy expensive makeup like MAC! I think when I was 8 I had an allowance of like $3 a week or something. o.0

I agree with that! At first I thought it was kinda cute that she had a little bit of make up but then she kept pulling out more and more items (they ARE cheap items but they do add up). I was especially shocked when she pulled out her 'beauty insider' card and mentioned offhand that you get that after spending $100 there. I used to only get $2 from my parents at that age, and that was on rare occasions!(reward for doing something).

I don't mind if girls 11-14 are experimenting with make up as long as it's nothing too adult like smokey eyes and red lips but it just seems alot more sensible to buy cheaper products at that stage because you're simply experimenting, my makeup's changed heaps since I first started and it's a waste to spend all that money on high-end products (it is their choice though).
Watching the first video I cringed when they just threw their products around and you can tell they were trying to act 'cool' in their video. I laughed..and felt uncomfortable.

darkishstar

I think the worst is, well worse than the make-up thing, is when parents let their little 12 year olds run around in string bikinis and halters.

1. They don't have boobs, they clearly don't have the sort of body that should be wearing those.
2. The whole pedophile thing REALLY worries me when I see little girls wearing 2 pieces. Call me old-fashioned (at 19!) but I will NOT let a little girl wear that. I wore a one piece at that age.
3. The two-piece thing just REALLY REALLY oversexualizes a little girl and is TOO revealing.

That said.
I had lipsmackers and some Maybelline and Covergirl lipglosses at most! Maybe some eyeliner and mascara when I was... Freshmen-Senior year in high school. I didn't really get into make-up make-up and full-face until my Freshmen year of college.

Tashona Helena

I dunno who said it, but if anything, THIS WORRIES the shit outta me more than makes me mad or jealous or whatever the hell people are saying. So scary. I mean what the hell...yeah, I wore makeup like 7th grade but still, I wasn't into MAC...MAC is like me now. I brought my first eyeshadow when I was 16/17...now I'm 19 and I'm getting the hang of everything. I lost my virginitiy when I was 16 too...I mean..it seems like kids are starting younger and younger these days. How long is it until we see kids full on making out on the Disney Channel like it's normal?

The pedophile thing worries me. Because from my past experiences, and how fast I growed up, if you talk like you can walk the walk, there are, and don't be fooled, there ARE men out there who are perverts and will jump on any thing with a vagina, no matter what age. It's sad, it's sick, but watch the news. That's what worries me...about these girls...so young, sitting up on cam and talking and acting like a grown adults. My mom didn't want me to have a cam at 13...now these kids are having it at like 8...haha well...what do you think they'll be doing when they're over makeup tutorials....

metalkitty

I noticed a few people in this thread seem to imply that it's a class, money, or even jealousy issues as to why some of the other ladies were uncomfortable seeing these videos.

Honestly, that's waaaay off to what some were trying to express. I think one of the issues here is that young girls start small by wearing makeup young, not bad in itself so much, but realistically they're probably going to subconsiously ( or not!) think that they're grown. Reasoning with 12 year olds isn't an easy feat.

On the other hand like Tashona Helena mentioned, I'm a bit more concerned about what these girls are doing with their cams aside from they're makeup videos! Hopefully their parents are monitoring them.

Korms

If the parents of these children don't mind their kids being on YouTube wearing makeup and are happily funding the MAC purchases then it's entirely the resposibility of the parents and there's not a lot that can be done.

In all fairness, these young girls are only emulating what they can see on YouTube already, there are so many tutorials and haul videos they probably want to be just like the glamorous, grown up girls they see on the internet. It is a bit creepy seeing a very young girl decked out in bright red lipstick and smokey eyes but I do agree that makeup is fairly harmless. I'm just not sure where the line should be drawn with parents allowing their kids to put themselves on the internet like this, you never know who is watching and for what purpose.

Shaquille

Anyways, I just finished watching Full House. The episode where TJ just starts Junior High School and she starts wearing make-up. There was a scene where she said, "at 6 grade I was cool, now I'm a joke".
So I assumed she starts wearing make-up at around 13-14 y.o. it was the kind of make-up where she doesn't look like wearing make-up. So it was pink eyeshadow and nude blush/lipstick I guess..
smiles.gif

lara

Young enough to have fun with make-up, not too young to get hung up in the beauty myth too early.

concertina

I'm inclined to say 16. Perhaps lipglass or very neutral lip colors at 13? Certainly not 'full-face' makeup before 16.

Its one thing for girls to play dress up at home or do scary makeup for halloween or dance recitals. Quite another to be in public looking like a Pussycat Doll.

I know, for me, the entire culture and climate of the US right now seems intent on sexualizing younger and younger girls. Making them adults faster and faster. Be it 9 year olds menstrating or Mylie Cyrus posing with just a white sheet or thongs that fit 11 year olds. That just seems *wrong* to me and bordering on phedophilia.

So yes, I'd say 16. Thats when I was allowed to wear it.

mjalomo

I think young girls learn from example. Usually the examples in their home outweigh the media. If Mom sports the bunny look and wants to be a M.I.L.F. what do you think the child picks up about women?

Lapis

My daughter will not be allowed to wear makeup until age 16 and then not even the heavy stuff I see these kids wearing.
I was in MAC on Sat and there were 2 girls that looked around 11/12 having their faces done with their mothers, blush, eyes everything, that will not be happening in my home

val-x

This subject bothers me alot but as long the money their spending doesn't come from my wallet.

I started rummaging in my mother's makeup at age 2, and I got my very own makeup when I was 6, but it was a cheapsie makeup kit from a no-name brand ~$20 for a whole lot of eyeshadows, lipsticks, blushes, brushes, etc. I couldn't wear makeup at my catholic school, but at home I would smear lipstick on my lips and wonder where on my face was I to put the myriad of pressed powders I had. In 6th grade I started trying to sneak some makeup on me, be it a lipgloss or mascara, but never full foundation (which I hated the feel of, and still do in most cases). I usually just carried a tube of lipgloss with me and never put it on, just to remind me that I had the power of makeup on my side (or something like that; it gave me warm fuzzies, and still does XD).

During highschool I started to wear what I wanted, because I finally had that privelage to (WOOT PUBLIC SCHOOL!!). My father had bought a subscription to Seventeen magazine for me, and I started getting REALLY into makeup (THANKS DADDY!!). However, only after I found my savior, UDPP, did I start to wear eyeshadow (oh, my oily eyelids, you were the bane of my existence) and etc. more fequently. Very rarely did I apply a full "face" (again, foundation feels icky to me XP ) except for the few dances we had.

Now, going into college, I'll be trying to wear some sort of makeup every day, if only to improve my skills (and use up some of products I have accumulated ^_^). I really like the artistic aspect of makeup, which is probably why I was attracted to it at such a young age; sooo many shiny colours!

So, I think that when one turns 13, that's a good time to let your child go wild with makeup, but throughout life, remind them of the artistic side of makeup. Also, teach them about enhancing the good qualities they have, and not dwelling on the not so perfect aspects of themselves.

babiid0llox

Quote:
Originally Posted by susannef
Not really about the suitable age for wearing m/u, although I was pretty young when I started wearing foundation and concealer. Teen acne + low selfesteem both of which are very common in teen girls.

That channel though omg! Too amusing! "Do not put the green eyeshadow up all the way to the eyebrow!" hahahaha

I started wearing makeup when I was 11, say a month or so shy of 12. I had bad skin too and wearing foundation + concealer and all that jazz actually gave me confidence and made it appear as if I had clear skin for once. Looking back on it..I actually used to wear a full face of makeup- mascara, blush, foundation, concealer, eyeliner..the lot. However I did grow out of that stage a few months later and stuck to natural looking makeup or none at all.

I agree with other's opinions about young girls wearing makeup, however I feel that if a child is mature enough to handle and apply makeup then why shouldn't they? It's the parent's and the child's joint decision.