Flat Iron Recommendations/Questions - post all here

lsperry

Re: Flat Iron Recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC_Pixie04
I'm proud to say that Sephora is now the exclusive US retailer for GHD products and tools (for now anyway) but they only get up to 374 degrees, and my T3 gets up to 410 and styles my hair while it's wet.

I 've gone through 2 CHIs, I loved them both but they kept breaking. Their blowdryer is amazing though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1onqueen
I am being so serious right now, I didnt know that black people could do that! Please dont think I am an idiot, but can you really do this without damaging your hair? What if you have a relaxer? If this is possible, without damage I am high tailing it to Sephora tommorow!

Thanks to this thread by MAC_Pixie04, http://specktra.net/f176/ghd-styler-anyone-113312/, I bought the GHD Pure Styler IV during Sephora’s FF sale. I received it last week and after using it, I was blown away! I’m a WOC with relaxed hair. It is fine and thin. This ceramic styler curled my hair and it has lasted for 3 days. I was at first concerned about there not being any temperature control thinking it had a high temperature and that it would burn or melt my hair. To my surprise it is the perfect temperature. My hair is shiny, bouncy and has movement and the curls have lasted.

What type of thermal protection does everyone use? On the recommendation of my girlfriend I bought Aveda’a Brialliant emollient finishing gloss. The hairdresser said it had thermal protection, but at $25/bottle for 2.5 oz, I ordered Lustrasilk Smooth Ends Leave-in Conditioner for $2.99/bottle to compare one to the other. $25 is a little steep for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaireAvril
IMG00056.jpg

C

Your hair looks so healthy and gorgeous! And you are so pretty…..Thanks for posting!

ClaireAvril

i like tresemme they have a thermal line.. and i love their deep conditioner.

i think the best thing is to minimize the use of heat on your hair.

lellow17

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhunt2
So everyone always say NEVER to get the cheap straightner/curler b/c it will damage your hair... unfortunatly, I wasn't thinking last night and bought a Revlon 1 inch straighter ($19.99 at Target). It's ceramic & heats up in 30 seconds. I used it this morning, and it's CRAP! It did NOT get hot enough and it felt as if it was "snagging" my hair. My hair looks like crap.

I've had the Hot Tools 2 inch straighter for about 4 years and it's great! My hair always looks great. I bought it at some asian owned supply store and it was about $25.
I was reading the box to the Revlon straightner & it says the product is a "Helen of Troy" product. I believe Hot Tools is too (well, I've seen the same Hot Tools straighter that says "Helen of Troy" on it; and they looked identical).

Can anyone recommend a place or website to buy a good straighter (I'm hearing that Chi, GHD, T3, Solia & Sedu are the good ones) at a "sale" price?? I've heard Ulta (b/c they have sales or coupons) & folica.com

I would love to own a great straightner but paying almost $200 gives me butterfly's in my stomach haha...

I have the Zebra ISO it straightens ur hair with one swipe! With my old straghtener my hair didnt stay straight thru lunch! while with this one my hair can stay straight for days at a time!!it is also great for curling! The curls can last up to 3 days!! the ISO is the way to go!!it has 100% ceramic plates....unlike the chi which only has creamic PLATED plates!!(it also has a lifetime warenty!!! so if it breaks u wont have to pay the price!!)this straightener cost 350 at retail price...but the malls offer it for 150....it is available on ebay any where from 39.99-150.00 These straighteners r available at malls, on eBay(CHECK FOR MANUFACTURE WARRANTY!!!!!!!!!!) at Dutchcaptain's Treasure Chest... as well as many other websites!!

I am using a Sedu right now and I've had it for maybe about a year or so and it's BRILLIANT. BUT I always hear amazing reviews about GHD and I really want to try it. I have no problems with my Sedu but I'm just wondering if anyone has used both and can maybe compare them to me.

COBI

I bought a GHD IV Dark about a month ago, and I have to say that, for me, I don't thnk it's really any better than my other small plate iron (a Cricket, retailed for about $80; I've had it for probably 5+ years). I bought the GHD for $160 because it was purchased for me from a cosmetologist-only supply company (a salon supplier).

I actually wish it had a heat control as I feel the single level heat is a bit much for my hair. It is the one I now use everyday but that is only because it will turn itself off if I forget to whereas the cricket will stay on all day if I forget to shut it off or unplug it. If they both had auto-turn off, I can't honestly tell you which one I would use daily, but possibly I'd still use the Cricket every day.

In the interest of full disclosure, my hair is fairly straight and I flat iron to smooth and shine; so, it is possible that for someone with wavy or curly hair going to straight, this iron could blow the competition out of the water. But for going from straight to smooth, shiny & straight, I wouldn't personally recommend anyone spending the money on it, particularly as the retail is generally over $250 or so.

dolcekatiana

My first flat iron was a CHI- it broke after about a year and a half. I then got a FHI which kicked the CHI's ass, but my sister stole it from me. So now I dont have one at the moment
ssad.gif
but if you are willing to spend as much as you would for a CHI, go with FHI instead, they cost the same!

mizuki~

Wow good flat irons are pretty pricey! For those of you ladies who straighten often, wouldn't you guys just rather have your hair permanently straightened at a salon for about $100?
th_dunno.gif
Not trying to sound mean or anything..just wanted some opinions
yes.gif

lesreid2

I kept seeing reviews about CHI's suddenly not working after a year so kindly marched up to Sally Beauty Supply and got one of their GVP flat irons and I LOOOOOOVE it. I am multi-racial(with TOTAL black folks hair) and it works so well. When it ever stops functioning I will definitely be getting another. It was only $60 too.

shelliebe

I have used the Chi's in the past and 2 of my Chi's broke pretty easily and my last one just quit heating up, so if you are a little hard on your flat irons I would be EXTRA careful. My biggest complaint about the original is that you could not control the temp. I have very thick coarse hair in the back of my head but up front very fine hair so to be able to adjust the temp was important. The new Chi's(at least the ones I had available) that you can control the temp on have only a 90 day warranty instead of the 1 year you can get with the original--that is something to consider also!

I spent weeks researching and searching for a good comparable flat iron. I ended up at Folica and was torn between the Solia 1 1/4" ($79.99) and the Sedu 1"($108). I was skeptical because I had never heard of these brands but Folica has a pretty good return policy. Folica extended the manufacturers warranty for an extra year on both so I have 2 years instead of one. Both had great but equal reviews. The only real difference between the two, other than price of course!, that I could come up with was the Solia has what they call "Dynamic Alignment System®: the plate pair self-adjust to provide perfect contact between your hair and plates, eliminating any damaging "hot spots" and "pressure points" so that the Solia® can work through the hair smoothly without pulling".

Since the Solia was $30 less I went with it and am VERY HAPPY that I did. I love it! It gets hot very fast, doesn't pull my hair at all, makes it extremely smooth, soft and adds a perfect shine. My only complaint is when I use my Chi 44 guard it smells funny. I don't know if I have a bad batch of Chi guard(it was new and have only used this bottle with this iron) or what. Anyways if anyone is looking for a new flat iron I Definitely recommend the Solia!

Sweexy985

I've been using the original CHI for just about 3 years now and I LOVED it. Unfortunately, the on/off switch recently broke and now I can't turn it on
ssad.gif
So I just ordered the CHI nano digital ($137 on folica) and I'm anxiously awaiting it's arrival. But I can't say enough good things about my old CHI. It took no less than 10 seconds to heat up, and left my hair silky straight. I use aveda brilliant damage control along with cantu leave-in conditioner with great results.

MissMochaXOXO

i rec a T3! i got mine at sephora n i <3 t so much! it saved my hair.it actually stays straight in humid weather when i use it!

Adee1

Whats the BEST straightenr ?

Hey everyone Hello.
Im new to this.. But, I have lots of questions and Answers
Okay.. First of all .. Im FOND of my hair.. I love it.. I take care
of it.. Lately,. Ive been trying EVERY straightenr you can think of... And
I want to find something that doesnt cause, damage but, heats up like you WOULDNT believe. That will NOT split, your ends, dry your hair, or damage just damage it. I found the Kyosaki-CANT SPELL IT. But, I heard that works good.. Is there any others? And wheres the best place to get them? Sallys, a beauty store, the internet. Okay I have to go to work. THANK YOU!

Sondra42

Re: Whats the BEST straightenr ?

It's only been used on me in the salon, but CHI flat irons are supposed to be very good and minimize damage.

vocaltest

GHD hands down.

especially the white/black/purple ones if you can still get hold of them. they have a gloss on them which basically feels like you're pulling silk through your hair... and thats a good thing!

LittleDevil

I got the babyliss platinum pro for my birthday last year and I ABSOLUTELY love it!!! I have tried hot tools, chi's and store brand straightners and nothing even comes close. I went to bed with my hair braided the other night wet and when I woke up it was like I had just got a perm. I didnt have time to wash it and blow dry and start from scratch so I just ran the babyliss through it and in 5 min I had perfectly straight hair. None of my other straightners were able to do that. It gets up to 450* and I use a spray on my hair to protect it before I straighten it. Hope this helps.

bAbY_cHiCkEn01

Second the GHD! It's awesome! I have the white one and it's so smooth. Just use it with some thermal protectant spray to minimize damage to your hair. All hair straighteners will cause damage to your hair! Also if you use your hair straightener everyday, use VO5 hot oil capsules once a week (they'll be like $3 a pack of 3...). They're awesome and fix your hair up good.

browneyedbaby

I can only comment on what I've used but I have both GHDs and T3s... the T3s are the best... even though they are the oldest! Variable heat setting, fast heat up, straightness the last, smooth through the hair...

Latest posts