All Things Sephora

purplemaren

1d8eeb6d_image.jpeg
This is what's inside. Plus my wee nordstrom haul which also came today (bb pink glow, dior cuir cannage, chanel envol). Yes, I do need a time out, but I just got a 20% ulta coupon (the one that is good for prestige cosmetics), so maybe next month? Heehee! ;)

boschicka

Why are the pages for sold out items completely disappearing? I like to use the "find it in store" option, but that's no longer available when the entire page is gonzo.

PeachTwist

Okay, this is a tad off topic.

How much do you girls buy drugstore stuff?

I feel like I'm a bit of a snob when it comes to make-up. I like my MAC and higher end brands likes NARS, MUFE, UD, etc/whatever.

The thing is, when I was a kid -- drugstore make-up was AWFUL. Truly awful. I know it isn't now, I know a lot of brands are really churning out great quality items.. but I still can't get over it. I think part of it as well, is that I can't afford to do high end AND drugstore. It's one or the other. I know I have easier access to drugstore, but I'd rather spend the money on the higher end item. I'm also a big packaging snob. I really dislike how cheap a lot of the drugstore packaging looks. I know a lot of people don't like MAC, NARS etc packaging because it's so "black and boring" -- but I prefer it. I prefer it looking sleek and chic.

I've actually only ever bought one item from TheBalm and Benefit BECAUSE of their packaging looking so cheap/tacky to me. I dunno.. I guess I just feel like if I'm paying a high price, I want more than just cardboard with a picture on it.

I'm completely rambling, sorry about this.. It just crossed my mind that I prefer MAC and more Sephora brands than drugstore and wondered if I was alone in that.

smallestkitten

I really don't buy ANY drugstore makeup/skincare except a Maybelline eyeliner and an Australis (Aussie brand) pressed powder and Jordana Twist-n-Shine Lip Balms. But other than that, I'm a makeup snob too! I try not to be, but most drug store stuff is just so unappealing to me. I feel about it the same way I feel about Clinique/Estee Lauder
sleepy.gif

stephshopaholic

I like both drugstore and high end makeup. I don't really care about packaging if the product is good. (Yes I like pretty packaging but you know what I mean lol) there's actually a lot of good drugstore products out there. I pretty much only use drugstore mascara because in my experience the higher end ones I've used didn't warrant paying and extra $15-$20. I also use drugstore foundation (loreal) but I've been wanting to try out a higher end option for a while now I just don't know where to start.

JulieDiva

I feel like I'm a bit of a snob when it comes to make-up. I like my MAC and higher end brands likes NARS, MUFE, UD, etc/whatever.

The thing is, when I was a kid -- drugstore make-up was AWFUL. Truly awful. I know it isn't now, I know a lot of brands are really churning out great quality items.. but I still can't get over it. I think part of it as well, is that I can't afford to do high end AND drugstore. It's one or the other. I know I have easier access to drugstore, but I'd rather spend the money on the higher end item. I'm also a big packaging snob. I really dislike how cheap a lot of the drugstore packaging looks. I know a lot of people don't like MAC, NARS etc packaging because it's so "black and boring" -- but I prefer it. I prefer it looking sleek and chic.

I've actually only ever bought one item from TheBalm and Benefit BECAUSE of their packaging looking so cheap/tacky to me. I dunno.. I guess I just feel like if I'm paying a high price, I want more than just cardboard with a picture on it.

I'm completely rambling, sorry about this.. It just crossed my mind that I prefer MAC and more Sephora brands than drugstore and wondered if I was alone in that.
much to my husbands dismay, I am a makeup snob. I rarely buy drugstore makeup,...I am never happy, except with the NYX stuff...it is awesome.

I prefer MAC, Dior, Chanel, YSL, Nars, Guerlain, Hourglass and Givenchy.
when I was younger, i had to buying drugstore, so now that I am a mature woman, I spoil myself.

PeachTwist

I really don't buy ANY drugstore makeup/skincare except a Maybelline eyeliner and an Australis (Aussie brand) pressed powder and Jordana Twist-n-Shine Lip Balms. But other than that, I'm a makeup snob too! I try not to be, but most drug store stuff is just so unappealing to me. I feel about it the same way I feel about Clinique/Estee Lauder
sleepy.gif

I'm not big on Clinique or EL either -- I love the EL DW foundation, but that's it!

I like both drugstore and high end makeup. I don't really care about packaging if the product is good. (Yes I like pretty packaging but you know what I mean lol) there's actually a lot of good drugstore products out there. I pretty much only use drugstore mascara because in my experience the higher end ones I've used didn't warrant paying and extra $15-$20. I also use drugstore foundation (loreal) but I've been wanting to try out a higher end option for a while now I just don't know where to start.
I also use drugstore mascaras. I have a couple high end ones and I do really like them but for the most part it's really the only thing I buy from the drugstore other than like a nude eyeliner or something.

Quote: Originally Posted by JulieDiva

much to my husbands dismay, I am a makeup snob. I rarely buy drugstore makeup,...I am never happy, except with the NYX stuff...it is awesome.
I prefer MAC, Dior, Chanel, YSL, Nars, Guerlain, Hourglass and Givenchy.
when I was younger, i had to buying drugstore, so now that I am a mature woman, I spoil myself.
I'm so glad I'm not alone!

Everyone I know says "Why don't you just go to Superdrug or Boots" (UK equivalents to Walgreens/CVS/etc) -- but to be honest.. the prices are nearing up the same and I just.. don't WANT to.

I admit I've not gotten into Dior, Chanel, Guerlain or Givenchy yet -- mainly because I've yet to find something I truly, REALLY want. I wanted the Dior Amber Diamonds but of course they've stopped making it. MAC, YSL, NARS I love. Hourglass I have a couple things now and I love them, as well. I class UD as "high end" in comparison to drug store, but they're not *really* high end, but I like their products also. I also have a couple things from Lancome and Becca. I'm trying to take a step back from MAC and start trying out more brands other than them.

I will admit though I do *LOVE* me some Makeup Geek. For the price, the quality is unbelievable. I can totally dig the $5.99 shadows etc as they don't look cheap, they don't feel cheap and they don't perform cheap. I don't care for their blushes (the colours don't interest me) but I have over half their shadows and they're all amazing.

I'm really excited to get the Give Me More Lip set and Mascara Set from Sephora at xmas (they're bought but I'm not allowed them until then) as it'll allow me to try some other brands in those departments.

I'll be surprised if I find anything in the kits lipstick wise that I find better than Bite Beauty or the NARS Audacious line. Those are heaven for me.

Shars

I just like things... don't care where from lol. These are some of my drugstore picks
Revlon: Lip products, foundations, nail polish. Their colour stay lip gloss called Adored is to die for!
Maybelline: Foundation, mascaras, some lip products, face powders. Oh, I also have an eyebrow pencil from them as well that I use every damn day and the thing is barely gone. It's a need-to-sharpen one as well. I have a ton of colour tattoos which I do like but am ashamed to say, hardly use. I also love their makeup removing wipes. All the ones I have tried are really good.
L'oreal: Mostly just mascara but they have nice eyeshadows as well and lip products
Milani: Blushes!!!
eyelove.gif
Lipsticks, lipglosses!
Wet n' Wild: Eyeshadows
Black Radiance: I heard their eyeshadows are good as well as some of their skin products. I have a blush from them that lasts for ages on my skin.
Rimmel: Every damn thing! I really like rimmel. Their apocolips line and their scandal eyes jumbo pencils are really really really good!
Barry M: Dazzle dust!!!
eyelove.gif
As good, if not better than MAC pigments and are so darn cheap!
MUA: I have a couple eye pencils and so on from them that were rather decent and very pigmented.
Covergirl: Lipsticks, lipsticks, lipsticks!!!
How could I forget Sleek? Their blushes and highlighters are amazing! So similar to Nars if you ask me but for a percentage of the price. Their lipsticks are quite good as well. And don't forget their eyeshadow palettes.

There are other brands and of course the list above is not exhaustive but those are my standouts. In some cases you get more than what you pay for but you have to remember that a lot of money goes into marketing and packaging. If you want to have your cake and eat it too, you will need to shell out the big bucks for Nars, MAC and the like. That said, there are perfectly amazing products at the drugstore, some of which are even better than some high end brands.

Edited to correct the name of the revlon lipgloss and again to add Sleek.

Latest posts