Do MAC MA's REALLY hate it when we return things?

TISH1124

^^^ Ok...I guess I need to knock on wood...all my mistakes are made by MAC online never by the MA's...so I have been fortunate ...My girls/guys ROCK

GreekChick

I agree the one month should be the limit when returning items.
However, the 182 brush story is an exception.
I've had my 182 for 3 years now and a couple of months ago, it completely started shedding. I mean like chunks of hair coming out.
And guess what?
My sister's 182 is shedding like crazy as well.

Sorry to say, but that is a problem with the product and it's manufacturing. If someone brought back a brush that looks like my sad and dying 182, than I would gladly take it back, no bill needed.
MAC needs to be aware with manufacturing problems. Especially in the case of brushes, the problems arise months after the product is purchased.

OfficerJenny

I don't think there's anything wrong with returns, as long as you aren't doing it just to get your money back. I'm mixed on returning skin care/foundation often due to reactions. If you know that a certain ingredient doesn't work for you, you should really check the ingredient list before purchasing.
My friend irks me sometimes because she will use a foundation for 3 weeks then decide she doesn't like it, return it and get another one, and do the same thing.

@_@

paperfishies

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekChick
I agree the one month should be the limit when returning items.
However, the 182 brush story is an exception.
I've had my 182 for 3 years now and a couple of months ago, it completely started shedding. I mean like chunks of hair coming out.
And guess what?
My sister's 182 is shedding like crazy as well.

Sorry to say, but that is a problem with the product and it's manufacturing. If someone brought back a brush that looks like my sad and dying 182, than I would gladly take it back, no bill needed.
MAC needs to be aware with manufacturing problems. Especially in the case of brushes, the problems arise months after the product is purchased.

After someone has had something for a long time like 6 months, a year, three years, the retailer has no idea what the customer has done with the product over the span of time...Ya know...Was the person washing the brushes correctly everytime? Was water seeping into in after a while? etc...I'm not saying that to you specifically, just in general. If someone got 3 years out of a brush, that brush has pretty much paid for itself. That is a lot of wear and tear.

GreekChick

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperfishies
After someone has had something for a long time like 6 months, a year, three years, the retailer has no idea what the customer has done with the product over the span of time...Ya know...Was the person washing the brushes correctly everytime? Was water seeping into in after a while? etc...I'm not saying that to you specifically, just in general. If someone got 3 years out of a brush, that brush has pretty much paid for itself. That is a lot of wear and tear.

I see your point.
However, for 55$ CND, the 182 should not last three years, but a lifetime.
I take perfectly good care of my brushes and, based on customer feedback( such as member who posted a couple of posts above), this isn't the first time the 182 sheds like this.
It is a problem with the manufacturing. Once this fact is known, I disagree with refusing a return without a bill.
This is similar to the Lustreglass problem, back when they were first released. The cap would easily break off and the product would leak everywhere. We accepted all of the returns, with or without a bill.
The result was the MAC became aware of the lustreglass problem, pulled it off the shelves and improved the packaging.

paperfishies

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekChick
I see your point.
However, for 55$ CND, the 182 should not one three years, but a lifetime.
I take perfectly good care of my brushes and, based on customer feedback( such as member who posted a couple of posts above), this isn't the first time the 182 sheds like this.
It is a problem with the manufacturing. Once this fact is known, I disagree with refusing a return without a bill.
This is similar to the Lustreglass problem, back when they were first released. The cap would easily break off and the product would leak everywhere. We accepted all of the returns, with or without a bill.
The result was the MAC became aware of the lustreglass problem, pulled it off the shelves and improved the packaging.

It would be great if MAC would offer some kind of warranty on their brushes, since they do cost a bit of money.

X4biddenxLustX

^^ I agree.

I recently bought 2 129 brushes and have only been using the one and it's been shedding quite a bit. I hope it's just normal.

t_doll

Everytime I purchase from MAC, they just scan all my items and put them into a bag. I wouldn't really feel comfortable asking them to pass the products over to me so that I can double check that they are indeed the correct items. I've purchased from MAC countless times and I've only been given the wrong item once. It doesn't really make sense to me to have to "double check" my items every single time, just so I can avoid making a return on the rare occurance that they might mix something up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperfishies
That I can understand making a return but a lot of those kinds of returns could be avoided if people just double checked before they walked out.
I love my MAC girls here, they are awesome but everyonce in a while they do make a mistake and throw a zoomlash in my bag instead of a mascara x.

erine1881

Quote:
Originally Posted by t_doll
Everytime I purchase from MAC, they just scan all my items and put them into a bag. I wouldn't really feel comfortable asking them to pass the products over to me so that I can double check that they are indeed the correct items. I've purchased from MAC countless times and I've only been given the wrong item once. It doesn't really make sense to me to have to "double check" my items every single time, just so I can avoid making a return on the rare occurance that they might mix something up.

you're paying for the stuff, why should you feel uncomfortable asking them? before they start ringing you up just say, "now, what all am i getting?" that's all there is too it. that way they'll go over it, and if they grabbed the wrong item you can correct them without it coming off as you don't trust them.

TISH1124

I guess if I ever get a wrong thing I may start doing that...But so far so good...I have always gotten everything that I asked for correctly...So I will not try to fix something thats not broken....However if I had gotten the wrong thing I would be double checking I'm sure.....But not that serious for me to be honest at this point. I live 2 blocks away so I guess I don't quite worry about it as much

kuuipo415

Has anyone ever been denied returning an item to a MAC store? Today I went to return a lipstick a friend bought for me. She is a pro card member, so obviously I can't return it using her receipt. But her and many others told me MAC stores will gladly take back merchandise without receipts. So I walk in the MAC store, very politely tell her that I don't have a receipt, the lipstick was never used, and wanted to exchange for something else.
She gives me a look, takes the lipstick, opens it up, looks at it, and tells me
"No sorry, you will need a receipt for this. This could be a free lipstick that people get through the back 2 mac program."
she was totally rude about it and not being helpful at all!! I mean, I really didn't expect this to happen!
Does MAC stores have a strict return policy compared to counters at the department stores?

Okami08

I think most stores these days require a receipt to return or exchange items. I think stores are more willing to make exceptions to this after Christmas, but other than that I think it's just been a relatively recent movement (I've really noticed it changing in the last three years or so) in stores throughout the US to require receipts for any kind of return or exchange.

t_doll

I've found that MAC's return policy is far less strict than that of counters in department stores. Even when I have the receipt, they are always anal about returns in department stores. I think that since MAC does have the B2M program, they really shouldn't accept returns/exchanges without a receipt. When I b2M at a freestanding store, they always give me the box and don't mark the lipstick (my counter marks "B2M" on the bottom of them). So I could very well take it to my counter and exchange it for something else if this was allowed, and that would just be abusing the system, imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuuipo415
Has anyone ever been denied returning an item to a MAC store? Today I went to return a lipstick a friend bought for me. She is a pro card member, so obviously I can't return it using her receipt. But her and many others told me MAC stores will gladly take back merchandise without receipts. So I walk in the MAC store, very politely tell her that I don't have a receipt, the lipstick was never used, and wanted to exchange for something else.
"No sorry, you will need a receipt for this. This could be a free lipstick that people get through the back 2 mac program."
she was totally rude about it and not being helpful at all!! I mean, I really didn't expect this to happen!
Does MAC stores have a strict return policy compared to counters at the department stores?

TISH1124

My Mac Pro keeps track of every item that you buy or B2M by name....They will take it back if you are in the system and it shows you purchased it or if you have a receipt only. They will not exchange it if you have no receipt nor they can't find where you purchased it in their system.

Tahti

I'm terrified of returning anything after I returned a bottle of StudioFix Liquid Foundation once (I swear, the lighting in my MAC store in insane - every time I try on NC15/NW15 *I'm neutral toned* in there, it matches my skin perfectly. 5 seconds out of the door, catch my reflection in a window and realize I'm bright pink or bright orange. I don't know how they do it. o_O;; ) I had my receipt and just told them I was sorry, it didn't match me blah blah... they gave me SUCH HASSLE over it and made me feel so bad! ;( the girl behind the counter made a point of giving me the evil eye and calling over the counter manager, who made a show of glaring at me and throwing the product in the bin.

X4biddenxLustX

Quote:
I've found that MAC's return policy is far less strict than that of counters in department stores. Even when I have the receipt, they are always anal about returns in department stores. I think that since MAC does have the B2M program, they really shouldn't accept returns/exchanges without a receipt. When I b2M at a freestanding store, they always give me the box and don't mark the lipstick (my counter marks "B2M" on the bottom of them). So I could very well take it to my counter and exchange it for something else if this was allowed, and that would just be abusing the system, imo.

Department stores use to be quite lenient about returns and exchanges without receipts. I mean you would most likely be able to do an exchange with no real problem. And as for returns receive store credit or a check in the mail. But just 2 years ago they've all started to place return stickers with barcodes on the boxes of the items. The sticker acts as a receipt in case the person doesn't bring the receipt with them. It'll show the date of the purchase. They still will ask for a receipt though.

I don't understand why they couldn't accept the l/s. I thought all B2M items were marked with a marker? That's what they do at the counters here and they'll also draw a big X on the box of the item too. We use to not be allowed to keep the box just the l/s. But they have changed that last summer.

t_doll

Quote:
Originally Posted by X4biddenxLustX
Department stores use to be quite lenient about returns and exchanges without receipts. I mean you would most likely be able to do an exchange with no real problem. And as for returns receive store credit or a check in the mail. But just 2 years ago they've all started to place return stickers with barcodes on the boxes of the items. The sticker acts as a receipt in case the person doesn't bring the receipt with them. It'll show the date of the purchase. They still will ask for a receipt though.

I don't understand why they couldn't accept the l/s. I thought all B2M items were marked with a marker? That's what they do at the counters here and they'll also draw a big X on the box of the item too. We use to not be allowed to keep the box just the l/s. But they have changed that last summer.

Here in Canada, most department stores are anal about returns on cosmetics. But I found that it also depends on the location. In my town, some counters are ok with it and others are more strict (even though they're the same department store). But whenever I go out of town to Toronto, omg the bitches at those counters will barely let you return a sealed item with a receipt! It's like pulling teeth to get them to accept returns.

The MAC counters that I go to will always mark the B2M items and not give you the box. It's the freestanding stores and pro stores that always give me the box and never mark anything. It says B2M on the receipt, but other than that, you would never know it was a B2M.

User38

If I were the manager of a boutique or makeup boutique, I would absolutely NOT accept a return after six months of use... sorry, this sounds like ABUSE not use. If something is damaged, the damage is obvious and noticable after a few days... six months -- out of the question!!

X4biddenxLustX

I think that it also depends A LOT on the MA that is assisting you that day. Some are very nice about it and will do it for you while others may not like to and give you some problems about it. Or down right refuse to do it and make up some weird reason to despite store policy stating otherwise or not mentioning their "reason". It depends on the person really.

But I think that since they started putting those return stickers on products, returns have been made much easier since they contain information on when the item was purchased and stuff. Last time I was at the MAC counter hanging out and talking to the MA's there, there were quite a few returns and there were no problems at all. Cause they just scan the bar code of the item, and the bar code on the return sticker and the receipt if the person had it with them.

Up until last summer, we didn't get to keep the boxes for our B2M l/s. They would scan it in the register, do a price modify I guess? and change the price from $14 to $0. It doesn't say anything about B2M on the receipt just the item # and the modified price. Then they would marker over the label on the bottom of the l/s and just give it to us. Now they still do all of that and just X out the box and let us keep it all.

Quote:
Here in Canada, most department stores are anal about returns on cosmetics. But I found that it also depends on the location. In my town, some counters are ok with it and others are more strict (even though they're the same department store). But whenever I go out of town to Toronto, omg the bitches at those counters will barely let you return a sealed item with a receipt! It's like pulling teeth to get them to accept returns.

The MAC counters that I go to will always mark the B2M items and not give you the box. It's the freestanding stores and pro stores that always give me the box and never mark anything. It says B2M on the receipt, but other than that, you would never know it was a B2M.

Ruby_Woo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuuipo415

Thats company policy, they weren't trying to be rude about it. We we only return it w/o the receipt IF you are in the system and the purchase is there w/in the last 30 days.

If the purchase is not in the system then sorry but you are out of luck.

Also it is a violation of Pro crd policy to buy items for others, your friend can exchange it for you, but you cannot walk in with out proof of purchase and get it exchanged. And yes, because we do have the B2M we have to be extra careful as that is free product, and we lose even more money exchanging something someone got free.

Maybe next time try to make sure what you want when you have your friend buy it, since they wont exchange w/o a receipt.

HTH.

P.S

For ALL pro card purchases, you MUST have the receipt. Because you guys get a discount you HAVE to have it, even though your purchase is in the system, because of the discount you must have it or we wont take it back.

Just throwing this out there for the Pro members.

I know they've made a few exceptions, but really, I mean you get a discount, just save your receipts, especially since you can deduct this stuff in your taxes if you work in the industry.