Duggar family has another...

jillianjiggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redz24
I think she is just giving it as an example. I get junk mail delivered with just the initial letter of my name being printed on the address.

With them all having names beginning with a J, it must get hella confusing passing round mail to check who its for.

if it's junk mail, who cares who it's for?
cutey.gif
i'm just being a brat now, sorry haha

and really though, it doesn't seem like this kids would have the need for any mail. i doubt they have their own bank accounts or any personal thing that would be mail sensitive. it's when they leave the house (when they're married) that life seems to begin for them. i can't imagine any of those kids get any significant mail that would be personal/confidential that would also be simply addressed to J.

so i can't say i see the issue about their names. plenty of families have two kids or a mother and a son, what have you, that have the same initial by coincidence. i'm sure their lives are just fine. or what about a john smith sr and john smith jr, if the jr and sr are not always specified?

it's just such a small essentially non-issue to have beef with the family.

abbyquack

Interesting topic...

Well, I generally don't care what kind of lifestyles people want to live- gay marriage, polygamy, 20 kids- whatever, as long as they are doing their own thing, cool. I won't get involved in someone else's lifestyle if they don't get involved in mine.

But if we want to talk about the repercussions of having so many kids, I would just say the biggest issue I've seen- based on first-hand experience of large families- is that 1 mom and 1 dad cannot possibly offer the kind of attention and care to all those kids that they really need. It's pretty clear just based on the fact that they older kids are taking care of the younger kids that the mom and dad don't have the power to offer individualized attention to all of them. And although the family "appears" to be content and orderly, there are no doubt many issues that may not have even been realized, but will one day surface (or already are, and have been contained by the family) due to this lifestyle.

I am glad that my in-laws had 9 kids only for the fact that my husband was the last of those 9, and I don't know what I'd do if they didn't have him. However, his family is a HOT MESS, and the family all totally tries to put on this facade that they are perfect, but I've never seen a more dysfunctional family- and most of the problems are owed to the fact that they had too many kids. It is very complicated, but for example, more than half were raised by a nanny, Mrs. Butterworth or whatever her name was, and all of them have a very skewed concept of what parent's roles are because they never saw their parents- they were always too busy working to provide for the family.

Not to say that this family couldn't, by a freak of nature, be different, but I think it's fair to say that management of this many kids is a lot more difficult than these parents let on.

hello_my_apple

i agree. my mom and i were on the phone and she explained that it was hard for her giving attention fully to the 4 of us and she couldnt imagine have 19 kids! i think the Duggar parents are pretty selfish in the fact that they arent thinking about the children. you know how those moments when you need your mother or father there just for you or simple quiet and alone time together is really all the things you cherish. and i find it really hard that they have time for that, between work and popping out more kids! and now that they have this televison show there are alot of things that they have to do regarding their contract with TLC. i just hope they find the time for 19 kids. and to think this woman just had a baby not even a year ago. sheeesh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbyquack
Interesting topic...

Well, I generally don't care what kind of lifestyles people want to live- gay marriage, polygamy, 20 kids- whatever, as long as they are doing their own thing, cool. I won't get involved in someone else's lifestyle if they don't get involved in mine.

But if we want to talk about the repercussions of having so many kids, I would just say the biggest issue I've seen- based on first-hand experience of large families- is that 1 mom and 1 dad cannot possibly offer the kind of attention and care to all those kids that they really need. It's pretty clear just based on the fact that they older kids are taking care of the younger kids that the mom and dad don't have the power to offer individualized attention to all of them. And although the family "appears" to be content and orderly, there are no doubt many issues that may not have even been realized, but will one day surface (or already are, and have been contained by the family) due to this lifestyle.

I am glad that my in-laws had 9 kids only for the fact that my husband was the last of those 9, and I don't know what I'd do if they didn't have him. However, his family is a HOT MESS, and the family all totally tries to put on this facade that they are perfect, but I've never seen a more dysfunctional family- and most of the problems are owed to the fact that they had too many kids. It is very complicated, but for example, more than half were raised by a nanny, Mrs. Butterworth or whatever her name was, and all of them have a very skewed concept of what parent's roles are because they never saw their parents- they were always too busy working to provide for the family.

Not to say that this family couldn't, by a freak of nature, be different, but I think it's fair to say that management of this many kids is a lot more difficult than these parents let on.

Redz24

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillianjiggs
if it's junk mail, who cares who it's for?
cutey.gif
i'm just being a brat now, sorry haha

and really though, it doesn't seem like this kids would have the need for any mail. i doubt they have their own bank accounts or any personal thing that would be mail sensitive. it's when they leave the house (when they're married) that life seems to begin for them. i can't imagine any of those kids get any significant mail that would be personal/confidential that would also be simply addressed to J.

so i can't say i see the issue about their names. plenty of families have two kids or a mother and a son, what have you, that have the same initial by coincidence. i'm sure their lives are just fine. or what about a john smith sr and john smith jr, if the jr and sr are not always specified?

it's just such a small essentially non-issue to have beef with the family.

I've had a saving account since I was born, and its always been in my name, and I've had a bank account since I was 12 (I think).

So technically there would be an issue depending on how a service addresses there mail.

MxAxC-_ATTACK

They are a Catholic Family with a ton of kids.. this is NOT out of the Norm what so ever.. yeah having 20+ children is crazy, but the family seems to love it, including ALL of the children, and there is nothing wrong with that.

*Stargazer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MxAxC-_ATTACK
They are a Catholic Family with a ton of kids.. this is NOT out of the Norm what so ever.. yeah having 20+ children is crazy, but the family seems to love it, including ALL of the children, and there is nothing wrong with that.

They aren't Catholic. They practice a form of evangelical Christianity called Quiverfull.

MxAxC-_ATTACK

I don't even remember typing that ! Insomnia is getting the best of me.

but I did think they were catholic for some reason, I know a lot of very very large catholic familys and all the siblings seem to get along wonderfully..

actually now that I think of it.. they get along so well its kind of creepy.

MAC_Whore

Quote:
From Wikipedia (so take it with a grain of salt, of course):

"The Duggars raise their children using a buddy system, in which an older sibling is assigned to a younger sibling and assists in their daily care. According to Michelle, "They help them with their little phonics lessons and games during the day and help them practice their music lessons. They will play with them or help them pick out the color of their outfit that they want to wear that day, and just all of those types of things.....

........Their large house was completed on January 20, 2006 with aid from Discovery Networks and corporate sponsors, who also donated a full pantry and household appliances. [15]"

This is the stuff I am talking about. Kids raising kids and corporate-sponsored families. Ridiculous.

*Stargazer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MxAxC-_ATTACK
I don't see a problem with that if the children enjoy it.

They aren't given the option NOT to enjoy it.

FiestyFemme

To each their own, but I don't see why people get so upset over the Duggars. Who cares how many children they have if they can take care of them? I don't see a problem with the older kids helping out either. My parents only had 2 kids, and considering I was the eldest, I helped out as well. There's nothing wrong with it, and essentially it's the way a family should work. A family works together for the good of the whole. Truth be told, I wish I had more siblings. God willing, my DH and I plan to have at least 4 kids, maybe more. I know it's not the norm in today's society, but we both want a large family. Not as large as the Duggars by any means, but if we're able to afford it and take good care of our children, who cares? Just my two cents, but I think the Duggars are a better family unit than most American families.

MAC_Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiestyFemme
To each their own, but I don't see why people get so upset over the Duggars. Who cares how many children they have if they can take care of them?.....

Some people are disagreeing with it, but I really wouldn't say that qualifies as "upset". There will be two sides to the discussion, that's natural.

As I had previously said, it doesn't affect me personally so sure, in that sense, who cares.

However, I would say I care in the sense that when I see someone doing something I feel is inappropriate to kids or animals (living beings that can't stand up for themselves) it bothers me. If I see someone hoarding 19 cats, it bothers me. If I see someone hoarding 19 kids, it bothers me.

*Stargazer*

They aren't "helping." They are raising. My six year old helps, every day. It's part of being in a family. But I would never dream of telling her she's now responsible for feeding, clothing and changing my four month old as a "buddy." Because it's not her job or her kid. These older kids are being placed into a de facto parent role because their mother has no time to do the job herself.

purrtykitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiestyFemme
To each their own, but I don't see why people get so upset over the Duggars. Who cares how many children they have if they can take care of them?

I think there's an argument that the parents themselves can't take care of all those children, which I think is the problem most people have with this family. They rely on the children to look after one another and have, as MAC_Whore posted above, corporate sponsorships and donations to make ends meet. A family the size of the Duggars cannot survive on a single income, and two parents cannot spend quality time on a daily basis with each child.

CellyCell

I just wish the girls (especially mom) in the family had updated hairstyles and dresses.

My cousin comes from the same religion as them and she wore what they wore... back in the early 90s.

hello_kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Stargazer*
They aren't Catholic. They practice a form of evangelical Christianity called Quiverfull.

I've read several sources where they state they are not part of the Quiverfull movement. They explained it as when you're Quiverfull, it is your obligation to have as many children as possible, whereas the Duggars don't feel they're obligated to have children, instead just viewing each as a blessing that is is occurring.

Either way, they have a lot of kids, LOL.

Latest posts