How you feel about "sharing" make-up?

GlossyAbby

Quote:
Originally Posted by April47
I must be in the minority here. I would never share make-up with a stranger but with my best friends or Mom, I totally would and do. It doesn't matter what kind of make-up it is either, eyeliner, mascara, whatever I don't care.

I wouldn't share a make-up sponge, but brushes are okay. My friend has even borrowed my toothbrush before. Whatevs.

Also, please let me say that I'm not a dirty person either. I'm a neat freak and a lot of things gross me out. I guess this is just one of those things that doesn't.
th_dunno.gif

A toothbrush your crazy girl....
tong.gif
My husband accidently used my toothbrush one morning and I went to brush my eeth and the brush was wet I was so grossed out had to throw it away...Im a weirdo when it comes to stuff like that....sure I kiss him but leave my toothbrush alone

Vixen

So would I be correct in assuming that the people who are saying no to sharing also do not purchase used products?

I have no problems lending my makeup to friends but it absolutely disgusts me to see people purchasing used cosmetics such as lip glosses and mascaras from total strangers. These items can't even be sanitized.

Call me strange, but I don't understand why people purchase used cosmetics, most of the sales that I see don't have good prices, maybe a few dollars less than retail on many products but add shipping in and you are pretty much paying retail for a used product!

burnitdown_x

I share with my mom, and I don't really mind if it's a super close friend. But god, this one time during class I was putting on lipgloss and this girl that I'm not really friends with was like, can I see it? And she tests it on her hand and then she put it on. I was so pissed, mainly because she didn't ask to put it on. And my friend was like, what the hell did she just do? Ugh, atleast it was a h.i.p. lipgloss and not a lipglass or tendertone.

NicksWifey

Besides my mom, no.
Last year I let a friend borrow Gorgeous Gold e/s because she was going to a holiday party and wearing a gold dress. I know this girl is clean but OMG when she returned me my e/s, goodness she had used SOOOOOO freaking much! I mean I had only used it a few times and there was a big ass chunk missing. I asked her what had happened and she said "I couldn't get it to show up! So I kept piling it on!" Silly bitch.
After that, no more.

redambition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vixen
So would I be correct in assuming that the people who are saying no to sharing also do not purchase used products?

if it was something i could sanitise then i'd consider it.

im not against using my makeup on others (i've given my mum a makeover before), it's moreso just lending it out. after seeing how this girl just used anyone's makeup with her fingers and even used their eyeliner, i'm a bit afraid to let anyone have full access to my makeup bag.

Luceuk

My mum uses a few of my eyeshadows (the neutral ones) apart from that I won't let anyone touch anything.

rockin26

It depends on what someone wants to borrow and strictly only my friends or my family. I trust that if one of my friends has had some sort of infection or cold sore they won't even ask but strangers or someone I don't really know, forget about it!! Sometimes my pals will want to try a lippie colour or eyeshadaow and then if they like it thay go buy it, that I'm cool with and like to help.

User93

NicksWifey, damn, i'd be sooo mad! I'm really glad to see replies here, it makes me realise its just not me being wierd. I dont mind sharing e/s with close friends though, as long as they use their brushes, my girlfriends can use my shadows, i was giving them a make over too. But mascara and any lip product is a NO NO. NO.

I wouldnt mind buyin a pigment sample from someone, but i'll never buy a lip product or mascara. Here a girl was sellung lippies from heatherette collection (it hasnt been sold in Russia, she bought in USA). And damn i wanted those lippies so much, but just couldnt buy a swatched lip product. Even the idea of cutting off the first layer didnt make me feel better. I wont share with strangers.

jaclynashley

I absolutely despise any sharing of lip products .
Maybe it's because I was born into a OCD family and had the cold sore and lice talk millions of times but ew on sharing grooming items .
I mean how cheap is a lipgloss !?
You can get one for like a dollar .
And it's just disgusting when people dig into my make-up .
Especially my Dazzleglasses ! :/
Anyways one time I slept at my friends house for her birthday party .
I brought alot of my MAC make-up (STUPID!) and everyone was like "OMG ! Your like rich !"
So while I'm half asleep they take my make-up bag and start putting it on .
And it pissed me off cause my friend almost lost my bareMinerals because she mixed it up with her sisters !
You could say that it really grossed me out .

Lapis

I don't share, one of my friends used a clinique gloss recently and I told her to keep it.

Carlyx

No one uses my make up, well my cousin used alittle of my foundation when she didn't have any but the brush can be easily cleaned.

Lipgloss eughh theres noway.

liv

Well...it depends.

Close friends (close enough that I will offer to do their makeup for them if they ask, friends that are just acquaintances don't know that I have a fully loaded vanity in my bedroom), my mom, my sisters, I will usually let them *test* things, except they know that they must ASK, use a brush, and not expect me to let them take it out of my vicinity. I don't *loan* makeup. I will do it for you using my own clean brushes that I know have seen soap in the past week, but no, you can't take it anywhere. And don't even ask to use my eyeliner/mascara, okay, that's just gross. I know I'm clean, and I'm pretty sure you're hygienic, but I'd like to keep my germs mine and your germs yours.

There are a few lipgloss exceptions I'm willing to make. However, some of these stories are really making my lips feel all tingly and icky. I can't imagine sharing a lipbalm/stick/gloss with a stranger. I don't know you, so why would you even ask? Some people have no sense of personal space. I remember that in High School I saw a Lancome Juicy Tube on the sidewalk and thought, "Oh that sucks for whoever dropped that," but I didn't throw it away in case she came back looking for it. No matter though, because a girl behind me picked it up and said, "OMG look what I found!" and pocketed it. GROSS is the only word I can think of for that. Simply gross.

If a friend asks to use a lipgloss, I ask them (seriously) if they have the virus for cold sores. I don't, and I don't want to get it anytime soon, thankyouverymuch. If you lie to me and give me one, I will kill you and make it look like an accident. It's a very rare thing that I will share though, most of my friends know that I am kind of OCD about my personal bubble.

So...don't be offended if I don't want to share with you.

User93

look how it happenfs all over witth me again! My closecollege friend gave me a lancome lipgloss as a present. Its such a good gloss btw! nd today i was putting it on, it was on the table.. and she just picked it and used on her lips. She has the same one, just another shade.. And thats a present from her, what could i say? She's my very good friend, i just dont like sharing make-up. Thats just it damn! I dont know her new boyfriend, i dont want his mouth bacterias in my gloss!!! DAAAMN I HATE THIS!

Beauty Mark

I've never purchased anything used in terms of makeup. Clothes, yes, because they can be washed and you don't know who tried on stuff at the store anyway.

In terms of trying makeup on at the store, I always swipe on the back of my wrist for shadows, blushes, etc. Foundation I usually try on at the store, but I try to get something that looks fairly new and in a bottle. I figure people are less likely to unscrew lids, but I could be wrong

grlygrlnyc

Ok guys so this may sound a little wierd but I actually carry around cheap drugstore stuff in case someone wants to share something.
true.gif

I started to do this in highschool because I had friends who would forget their hand lotion, lip balms etc and since they would see me apply things they would of course ask. Since I'm VERY greedy with my MAC stuff and refuse to share with anyone outside my immeadiate family, I just started to buy these cheap little toiletries to carry around in case someone asked me for something.

I personally don't use these things but I still carry them around just in case. I know I'm such an enabler but I feel bad saying no when they see me apply things on myself
001_unsure.gif

rockin26

Quote:
Originally Posted by grlygrlnyc
Ok guys so this may sound a little wierd but I actually carry around cheap drugstore stuff in case someone wants to share something.
true.gif

I started to do this in highschool because I had friends who would forget their hand lotion, lip balms etc and since they would see me apply things they would of course ask. Since I'm VERY greedy with my MAC stuff and refuse to share with anyone outside my immeadiate family, I just started to buy these cheap little toiletries to carry around in case someone asked me for something.

I personally don't use these things but I still carry them around just in case. I know I'm such an enabler but I feel bad saying no when they see me apply things on myself
001_unsure.gif

LMAO!!!
th_roll1.gif
I love this idea but your bag must be huge to carry all that stuff around in??

grlygrlnyc

LOL.... yeah my bag is huge, but I must admit the bag wieght blame falls on me since I insist on carrying around different MAC lipsticks, lipglosses, and blushes in case I get bored with the colors I leave my house with. I just think of it as my cardio!!!!
th_wink3.gif

KikiB

Hahahaha amen to that! My bag is heavy as well, so that is my arms workout!

As far as sharing makeup goes, I tend to not share with a ton of people-I'll share product like lipstick if I sanitize it, or eyeshadow/pressed product, but never lipgloss unless it is brand new and I use a disposable. I have a lot of old stuff from my mum, well had, and it was mainly eyeshadow, or a lipstick from GWP that she'd toss my way.