How you feel about "sharing" make-up?

User93

grlygrlnyc loool, im thinking about all the same! But actually my friends would easy be like "oh no give me that MAC one not this one"

grlygrlnyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alibi
grlygrlnyc loool, im thinking about all the same! But actually my friends would easy be like "oh no give me that MAC one not this one"

LOL yeah I've gotten a few requests too, but I pretend I don't know what they are talking about and if they insist, for some "strange" reason I simply don' t seem to hear them.
th_wink3.gif

moonlit

I dont like to share my makeup.. I'm sorry but im kinda possesive about my stuff lol & Im a hygeine freak..

dudeee

I HATE whenever someone asks if they can use my makeup. I have such a hard time saying no! I try to avoid it all together by not touching up my lipgloss, etc. in public. I'll do it in a more private area.

I'm pretty picky about sharing in general though. I know it makes me come of as a bitch, but hey, it's mine. I don't know where their hands, mouth, whatever has been so eww why am I going to let you touch it. But I wouldn't say I'm a germaphobe... I'm just aware of my surroundings.
tong.gif

I'll share eyeshadow sometimes, but I'm protective of my makeup so it doesn't happen often. I spend too much money on it to risk it getting ruined.

shootout

One time my mom ran out of her Bare Minerals foundation, and had to borrow mine (we wear the same shade), but I would definitely not let anyone else do something like that.

Rennah

I don't really have any friends... at least not any who ever ask to borrow my makeup!

My older sister occasionally uses a pressed pigment of mine, with her own brush. I hardly use it anyway.

Once I let my younger sister borrow my HiP gel eyeliner (like fluidline), and she thought I said she could have it, so she messed it all up. I made her buy me a new one.

I'd never ever share mascara. I am a bit of a germaphobe.
Also, I am selfish with my MAC makeup. It's MINE!!! My sisters don't usually ask to use it, anyway. They have their own stuff. My mom doesn't wear much makeup so she never asks.

Sometimes I give stuff I don't like anymore to my younger sister - she doesn't mind that I used it. I certainly wouldn't want it back, though!

As for lip stuff, if it's a squeeze tube, I might squeeze some out onto someone's finger if they asked for lip gloss. The package would never touch their lips.

star25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alibi
It freaks me out. No dolls, it seriously does. I dont mind sharing a lippie with my close friend, in fact we exchanged some stuff aswell. But look at this - im at work yesterday, and my co-worker i know for last 2 weeks is like "do you have a lip balm?"/ And well, she saw me using it before, so the answer was quite obvious. I felt stupid declining, and well, had to pass it to her.

Man, i hate this. Get your own damn make-up. Im not asking people for stuff randomly, do I? Its hygiene damn it. We possibly share only with my close friends. Maybe thats just me, but i dont really know who was she kissing in the morning, what she has etc. My luck it was a drugstore lipbalm, not my strobe one.. But i liked that one too.

The best decision would be not letting people see you have stuff.. But thats difficult when you work together 8 hours a day, and they follow you around even.

Once a classmate asked the same thing, and it was my le lippie from MAC.. So i couldnt find anything better than say "you'd better no, i had a terrible lip infection this week".
th_LMAO.gif

Was anyome ever pissed off bout the same thing?

Your story totally reminded me that the same thing happened to me at work...

I'm constantly applying something to my lips, whether it be gloss or balm, so it's no secret that I have huge stash at my desk.
So one day I had JUST bought a new tub of Blistex DCT (I love this stuff esp when your lips are wind/sunburned) and was applying it when the girl across from me asked me if she could use it. I hate sharing makeup for hygeninc reasons, but I reluctantly gave it to her... She was wearing acrylics, and made a huge friggin dent in it with her nails!!! I swear it took all of my energy to wipe the look of sheer disgust off my face when she handed it back to me. I then proceeded to wipe down about 1/4 of the tub of balm behind my desk (she couldn't see me).
The memory of it still makes me cringe.

But come on! I would never, ever ask someone to borrow a lip product... even if I didn't care about germs myself, I would be considerate enough to understand that some people are not comfortable with it.
It hasn't happened since, but from now on I'm gonna politely decline and add some story that I'm contagious lol.

Another thing I refuse to share is eyeliner, because I'm deathly afraid of pink eye, or any other eye infection for that matter.
I used to share all my makeup with my friends, but I had to consciuosly stop myself at one point... now they all know not to ask anymore.

User93

Star25, im totally feelin you in that! My friends from college just LOVE sharing make-up. They adore it. They stay in the bathroom between classes fixing make-up constantly asking each other for this and that. Like "oh just pass me your eyeliner"/"give me that beinge gloss"/"give me your lippie". They are my good friends and really great girls, but come on! And if i decline I gonna be considered a bitch. Whatever, i stopped fixing my make-up in college. I try to convince myself that im cute without it!
winks.gif
Pfffffff im soo pissed off!

Miss A

i only have 2 friends i let around my makeup. i know this sounds so bitchy but have you guys ever not wanted or let someone handle you e/s or pallets? i dont trust people and think they might drop and crack them. if they did i would want to be paid for them so i just have a look no touch policy!

nico

So how do you buy lipsticks then? Don't you try them at store before buying them ?

User93

Nooo, i personally never do. It's so gross to me, thinking some other woman, no idea who, was using it before. I put it on my hand to check the color only.

kittykit

The idea of sharing my makeup with another ____ persons is gross.

What makes me sick is to see some women walk into drugstores or Sephora, put the sample lipstick on their lips while trying...
yucky.gif

SNOTCROW

Most of my friends are guys so I haven't really been in the situation.
But I really am curious, what kind of germs and bacteria are you all afraid of? Sharing makeup can't possibly be worse than grabbing a door knob in a public place or something.
Perhaps it depends on your culture. I get the feeling that Americans are a lot more concious about germs and sanitizing, chemicals and bacteria than for example Europeans. In my opinion, your immunesystem will protect you from whatever germs or bacteria that might be in someone elses makeup, at least if it's strong enough (and anti-bacterial sanitizers will weaken your immunesystem, that's a fact).
But I guess it comes down to the fact that people usually don't like the thought of sharing lip makeup and stuff like that...

User93

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNOTCROW
Most of my friends are guys so I haven't really been in the situation.
But I really am curious, what kind of germs and bacteria are you all afraid of? Sharing makeup can't possibly be worse than grabbing a door knob in a public place or something.
Perhaps it depends on your culture. I get the feeling that Americans are a lot more concious about germs and sanitizing, chemicals and bacteria than for example Europeans. In my opinion, your immunesystem will protect you from whatever germs or bacteria that might be in someone elses makeup, at least if it's strong enough (and anti-bacterial sanitizers will weaken your immunesystem, that's a fact).
But I guess it comes down to the fact that people usually don't like the thought of sharing lip makeup and stuff like that...

Well, I won't be able to name the bacterias, but since I was a little kid I was taught for example not to eat with other people's forks or spoons. At least sharing a lip product could get you a herpes, whick i'm not looking for! I bet you can get a flu like that aswell. It just freaks me out, seriously, sharing a lip product. Why the fuck people do it/ I have a few glosses I love, bought them in a trip, and I'm seriously afraid to even take it with me to college, because I know for sure whenever my friends would see it in my hands they will want to use it aswell. Call me a freak, but my friend from college is not dating a guy who used to hook up with girls for 1 night before he met her. I dont want her using my lipgloss after she kisses him, sorry!

Grandma taught me so lol!

TheeBettyBoop

I don't like to share but there are situations when I cant really say no. So, I carry with me a little bottle with alcohol, travel tissues, and disosable lip applicators,and the spongie things for the eyes and face and a sharpener, so that i can clean my stuff.

iadoremac

I dont share makeup thats why i have cheap makeup for people to use if they want to use makeup. I only share my MAC with my mom because shes my mom and shes super clean. But to everyone else my attitude is ...HANDS OFF BITCHES
winks.gif

cheapglamour

I don't mine sharing with a close friend or even like my mom. But ok.. i have a couple of those BIG palettes from coastal scents & beauties factory. And as soon as I start doing my makeup in my cosmetology class every other girl is like OOOH CAN I USE IT?!?!. NO, you can't.

And it's not just the hygiene factor (but that's mainly why) it's because you should by your own damn stuff. Once in a while when people ask it's not biggie. but it's every damn day.

There's one girl who asks to use my mascara EVERYDAY.

Septemba

^ Oh man I would never use anyone's mascara but mine! I don't even snaffle my mum's!

I wouldn't share eyeliners that are used on the waterline or mascara, but I actually enjoy it when friends play with my makeup. I think I am trying to force them into becoming MU addicts so we can enable each other.

I don't mind sharing with my mum, I do her makeup a lot when I see her.

But yeah, randoms or people wanting to use my gear all the time would piss me off... I am more protective of my brushes than my MU in a way, I don't let ANYONE near my brushes!

sierrao

i rarely share my makeup. but this one day in cheerleading this cheer mom says "if you share makeup with other girls you can catch aids!" WTF!! she is so retarted!! its like well does your daughter have aids, is that why your telling us? i swear people can be so stupid

dolcekatiana

Call me greedy but I don't share my makeup... it's mine... my preciousssss... lol

If a friend really wants to borrow an eyeshadow though, it's really no biggy. As for lip products, hell NO.