Identifying fake MAC Pigments ***Guide with photos***

Xqueeze_me

Its total BS to send the fakes back to the seller at your own expense! SERIOUSLY though, it should be at the seller's expense if they want their fake crap back. THEY are the ones who are wrong and should be the one paying for the postage to get their rubbish back. I wouldn't bother sending them back seeing that the seller won't pay postage for them. YOU shouldn't be out of pocket because YOU were being tricked by those nasty criminals. Don't even bother sending it back to the seller, my dear! I know its tough getting -ve feedback but other people HAVE to know that the seller sells fake crap.

As for the auction you posted, I'm not surprised to see them flooding eBay nowadays. Even the Australian eBay is flooded with the fakes right now and its really disappointing and sad to see MAC newbies buying them like as if they stumbled across a bargain when its not. I've been there, learned my lesson.

Just so you know, I wouldn't touch those fakes from Hong Kong, China, Thailand and Taiwan. I'm sure you know how to spot fakes so you know how to avoid them when you see them in the Australian, American, UK, Irish, etc eBay! *sighs*

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockin
Can you believe PayPal have asked me to send the fakes back to the seller at my own expense?!! I am not at all happy with that
ssad.gif

Also, check this out, which I have just come across http://cgi.ebay.com/100-AUTH-28-BRAN...QQcmdZViewItem

There is already one bidder on this auction, with 5 lots, and the seller has a lot of other "MAC" items listed, including more of the same.

rockin

Trouble is, they say I have to return the items before I can get my money back. I have to send the goods back via recorded or Special delivery, so I can prove the seller has got them back, and I have to provide PayPal with the tracking number within 10 days, or I lose the dispute and she gets to keep my money.
th_remoteImage-61.gif

I wish I had known about Specktra before I started buying MAC.

I've no need to worry about getting negative feedback on this one, as she's already left me a positive before I even received the goods.

Xqueeze_me

Quote:
Trouble is, they say I have to return the items before I can get my money back. I have to send the goods back via recorded or Special delivery, so I can prove the seller has got them back, and I have to provide PayPal with the tracking number within 10 days, or I lose the dispute and she gets to keep my money.
th_remoteImage-61.gif

I wish I had known about Specktra before I started buying MAC.

I've no need to worry about getting negative feedback on this one, as she's already left me a positive before I even received the goods.

I've never heard Paypal do that before. That is not fair to you as you're the victim.

Don't worry, darling. I was one of the Specktrettes who didn't know about Specktra until I bought fakes from Australian eBay, googled and found Specktra!

As for the feedback, go leave the seller a -ve one to warn other buyers. Not all buyers would pay attention to the feedback but you will have done your part in warning others via the seller's feedback. Some buyers are ignorant and stupid enough to go ahead in buying those fakes when they've been warned so its their loss!

Quote:
I think I feel a phone call to Trading Standards coming on.

Do give them a call asap (before the 10-day Paypal dispute expires!) and let us know how you went! Good luck!!

wolfsong

You could write 'counterfeit' or 'fake' in black permanent marker on the jar or internal funnel/what-ever-the-hell-it-is plastic so she cant sell it on. Then you can send it back via recorded 2nd (cheapest method), and provide paypal with the tracking no. as soon as you post. Paypal didnt say anything about defacing the item - unless it mentioned sending back in a 'unused/as new' state in messages...

This way you get your money back (minus about a pound) and stop the seller from flogging the fake pigment - unless she doesnt check it, and therefore it will warn the next buyer. However i think ebay has pulled at least some of her auctions as some of the finished ones come up with the error page.

rockin

It crossed my mind to do that, but PayPal say it must be in the same condition in which it was received.

I'm going out now, but I will try to phone PayPal or Trading Standards later today.

Thank you for your help
smiles.gif

rockin

I tried phoning PayPal, but couldn't get through to speak to a real person - all avenues took me to one "go to www.paypal.co.uk" message or another. I have therefore emailed them and await their response.

The pigment I bought from princess_semia786 arrived today and is, as we thought it would be, a fake just the same as the others. I have ASQ'd her telling her it's fake and requesting a full refund.

I also contacted Consumer Direct, and was told that I shouldn't have to pay the cost of returning the items to the seller, and they were interested enough to pass the details on to Trading Standards. Hopefully I'll hear from them soon.

On a brighter note, the pigment I received today from ebay seller raplot and the MAC eyeshadow I received today from ebay seller cherryberryco appear to be genuine
smiles.gif

wow i didnt even know that there were fake MACs out there
thanks for the info
i almost bought a MAC palette from ebay so glad i didnt!!

1165Cheryl

I actually emailed this seller asking her where she got the names from, pictures of the box.s ect...and never heard back. Like wolsong says, they dont care about fake sellers but sample and autthentic full jar sellers they give a bad time. There is a seller still on ebay that has been reported so many times, she sells samples and ebay has never done anything about it.

Quote:
Can you believe PayPal have asked me to send the fakes back to the seller at my own expense?!! I am not at all happy with that
ssad.gif

Also, check this out, which I have just come across http://cgi.ebay.com/100-AUTH-28-BRAN...QQcmdZViewItem

There is already one bidder on this auction, with 5 lots, and the seller has a lot of other "MAC" items listed, including more of the same.

wolfsong

Cheryl - Is this seller you mention a counterfeit seller with fake samples? Do you know their username?

1165Cheryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfsong
Cheryl - Is this seller you mention a counterfeit seller with fake samples? Do you know their username?

It's a seller that use to list pigment names i've never heard of. do you want me to pm you her name? she's still selling and dont see how she's able to get away with it??

I'll find her name now and let you know...maybe you know her??

wolfsong

That would be good thanks! Or you can post the name on here - so people wont accidently buy from her
thmbup.gif

1165Cheryl

ACOURSE WHEN I'M TRYING TO FIND HER I CANT BUT HERES A #Item number: 180171725502 YOU CAN CHECK THEY ARE CALLING IT "GOLDEN BLUE" PIGMENT, HERES ANOTHER SELLER WITH FULL SIZES BUT THE COLORS DONT LOOK RIGHT TO ME MAKE SURE TO SEE THERE SLIDE SHOW, ITS A CLOSE UP OF ALL #260174045199

WHEN I FIND THE OTHER ONE UNLESS EBAY ALREADY KICKED HER OFF, I'LL LET YOU KNOW
smiles.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1165Cheryl
It's a seller that use to list pigment names i've never heard of. do you want me to pm you her name? she's still selling and dont see how she's able to get away with it??

I'll find her name now and let you know...maybe you know her??

rockin

Well, it looks like maple.closet has changed their ID - they are now gipsy.bling, but still listing fake pigment, also ah2339 has a number of fakes listed, if the photos are of the actual items, and not taken from elsewhere. Seller nabeelkarim has a couple listed, but has feedback saying it's the genuine article - what's listed looks fake to me.

1165Cheryl

I still cant find that gal that was selling fake samples, maybe she finally did get kicked off. I found another one though selling full size using some real color names and some fake!! I think I already posted the item number here but will get her name when tommorrow. Todays my only day off
smiles.gif
)

1165Cheryl

The one I reported for selling fake samples ebay finally got rid of. The other one I saved one of her listing so I'll have to check...but she is selling the full sized ones with the weird names...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1165Cheryl
I still cant find that gal that was selling fake samples, maybe she finally did get kicked off. I found another one though selling full size using some real color names and some fake!! I think I already posted the item number here but will get her name when tommorrow. Todays my only day off
smiles.gif
)

rockin

Well, I've heard further from PayPal. They have asked for written confirmation that these are fakes. This is what it said:

Please provide documentation to confirm that the item you purchased is not
authentic. This documentation should be from an unbiased third party, such
as an appraiser or dealer. The third party should be someone who is
qualified to appraise the item you received.

The information should be on a letterhead that includes the name, address,
and phone number of the appraiser so that we may contact them if we require
additional information. We are unable to reimburse you for any costs
associated with obtaining this documentation.

Any documents you provide may be supplied to the seller, at their request.

I've phoned Consumer Direct again re Trading Standards and they informed me that TS might not even come out to see the product - they usually buy something from the seller to see for themselves. I was advised to contact the manufacturer. Estee Lauder said I would need to post the items to them for verification, or go to a MAC store. I can't get to a MAC store, as there are none near me, and I was told the Estee Lauder counter staff at A&N probably wouldn't know anything about MAC or have letterheaded paper.

So either I've got to return the goods to the seller, or send them to Estee Lauder. Either way, it's at my own expense
ssad.gif

Unless any of you know where else I could get written confirmation from?

wolfsong

Maybe send a photo of the item by email and ask for them to send you a letter in the post?
I didnt have to do this when i disputed, so im not sure what you should do
ssad.gif

Latest posts