M.A.C. & Lorde Collection (June 5, 2014)

MakeupAddict22

Im kinda surprised to hear about this collection actually... although I have a ton of purple lipstick...ranging from light to dark... Hopefully this collection will be in special packaging.. thats the only way I see myself buying from it...unless theres some super unique color or something..
Me too

admmgz

I can't wait to see what they come out with! :) I love makeup & I love Lorde's music (though I'm tired of the radio playing Royals over & over again- they need to give it a break & play some of her others songs). As far as wearing certain colors during different seasons, I wear whatever whenever- call me a rebel lol I personally like the MAC collaborations w/ musicians. Great marketing by having a new Grammy winner added to the roster. I do agree w/ others about having collabs w/ Gwen, Pink, Katy, and Janelle but they'd have to get out of current contracts for that to happen. I've been longing for an Adele or Lana Del Rey collab! I'm surprised that they haven't already picked up Ellie Goulding or Demi Lovato actually. I know that many of you may not agree with me but it's just my opinion (and I'm not a teen).

OctoberViolet

I'm excited for this collection. I love vampy lips and I'm sure she'll bring it!!1
iagree.gif
Hoping to a blue-violet lippie like the one she is shown wearing in a few of the photos here.

JulieDiva

I can't wait to see what they come out with!
smiles.gif
I love makeup & I love Lorde's music (though I'm tired of the radio playing Royals over & over again- they need to give it a break & play some of her others songs). As far as wearing certain colors during different seasons, I wear whatever whenever- call me a rebel lol I personally like the MAC collaborations w/ musicians. Great marketing by having a new Grammy winner added to the roster. I do agree w/ others about having collabs w/ Gwen, Pink, Katy, and Janelle but they'd have to get out of current contracts for that to happen. I've been longing for an Adele or Lana Del Rey collab! I'm surprised that they haven't already picked up Ellie Goulding or Demi Lovato actually. I know that many of you may not agree with me but it's just my opinion (and I'm not a teen).
I agree...I would LOVE a Lana Del Rey collection as well as a PINK one...I am not near a teen as I HAVE teenagers but think musicians and mac go well together.

pinkpaint

I don't know. I don't think Lorde is worthy of a MAC collection. Didn't think Azalea Banks was, either. Or the Osbournes. None of these people really have a signature style, to me. They're not iconic in any way. And in the case of Lorde, she's only been hot for a few months. Her makeup, and honestly her whole look, doesn't inspire me. She needs a new makeup artist (if she has one at all).

I feel like MAC should choose people who are really selling an image/brand. That's why people like Rihanna, Nicki, Gaga, etc. worked. Because their makeup is just a part of their whole persona ie. being a bad gal like Riri, a barbie like Nicki, or kind of a over-the-top style-chameleon like Gaga. I just don't feel like there are many artists whose makeup/style connects with their brand. Even Beyonce, for instance. She's great, but very seldom do I think her makeup looks amazing. Damn sure not innovative. That's my 2 cents lol. Whose to say I won't buy from the collection, anyway.

I've been so bored with MAC collections, lately. It seems like there haven't been many pics/swatches of the April collections coming out. And what I have seen, besides those blush ombres, has been "blah" to me. Probably better for my wallet.

Wolverina

Dissapointed with mac. However.This collection can have the best colours ever and I still will not buy anything from it, cause I won't support her. Not even sure if her fans can afford that, cause they are all teens.Ok most of em. However I will skip this one.
Umm plenty of her fans are past their teen years and let me tell you plenty of teens buy makeup from MAC. They are huge cosmetic consumers.

Wolverina

I don't know. I don't think Lorde is worthy of a MAC collection. Didn't think Azalea Banks was, either. Or the Osbournes. None of these people really have a signature style, to me. They're not iconic in any way. And in the case of Lorde, she's only been hot for a few months. Her makeup, and honestly her whole look, doesn't inspire me. She needs a new makeup artist (if she has one at all). I feel like MAC should choose people who are really selling an image/brand. That's why people like Rihanna, Nicki, Gaga, etc. worked. Because their makeup is just a part of their whole persona ie. being a bad gal like Riri, a barbie like Nicki, or kind of a over-the-top style-chameleon like Gaga. I just don't feel like there are many artists whose makeup/style connects with their brand. Even Beyonce, for instance. She's great, but very seldom do I think her makeup looks amazing. Damn sure not innovative. That's my 2 cents lol. Whose to say I won't buy from the collection, anyway. I've been so bored with MAC collections, lately. It seems like there haven't been many pics/swatches of the April collections coming out. And what I have seen, besides those blush ombres, has been "blah" to me. Probably better for my wallet.
I find the three you listed as "worthy" of a collection as just... Exhausting. If I were a 16 year old girl, this is the collection I would be attracted to. But then I was into Depeche Mode and The Cure. I wasn't goth, but I was alternative and very tired of the same kinda of cosmetic promos being thrown at me. I work a lot with teens and I often watch MTV in the morning with them and it's really nice to see the way they respond to Lorde. I should specify I work with teen girls in a shelter, many have seen and experienced more then their share. They don't need to be sold on their own exploitation or ego excess more then they already are. Sorry for the rant- I'm not Lorde's bestie or anything, I just feel she is a welcome change from sex, drugs and the drive for popularity at all costs which is so much of a teen girls diet these days I know this isn't a specifically teenage oriented collection but I think it's a smart move to pull in an underserved demographic. MAC has certainly lost some revenue to any number of alternative online indie cosmetic companies. It makes sense to diversify.

Beautyglitter

I don't know. I don't think Lorde is worthy of a MAC collection. Didn't think Azalea Banks was, either. Or the Osbournes. None of these people really have a signature style, to me. They're not iconic in any way. And in the case of Lorde, she's only been hot for a few months. Her makeup, and honestly her whole look, doesn't inspire me. She needs a new makeup artist (if she has one at all).

I feel like MAC should choose people who are really selling an image/brand. That's why people like Rihanna, Nicki, Gaga, etc. worked. Because their makeup is just a part of their whole persona ie. being a bad gal like Riri, a barbie like Nicki, or kind of a over-the-top style-chameleon like Gaga. I just don't feel like there are many artists whose makeup/style connects with their brand. Even Beyonce, for instance. She's great, but very seldom do I think her makeup looks amazing. Damn sure not innovative. That's my 2 cents lol. Whose to say I won't buy from the collection, anyway.

I've been so bored with MAC collections, lately. It seems like there haven't been many pics/swatches of the April collections coming out. And what I have seen, besides those blush ombres, has been "blah" to me. Probably better for my wallet.
I totally agree with you! Loved the Rihanna, Nicki and Gaga collections/lipsticks and the whole hype around it. But collections with the osbournes and lorde don't attract me at all!

pinkpaint

I know this isn't a specifically teenage oriented collection but I think it's a smart move to pull in an underserved demographic. MAC has certainly lost some revenue to any number of alternative online indie cosmetic companies. It makes sense to diversify.
I'm only 20, so I'm not far from a teen myself lol. I definitely wouldn't be against a more alternative artist/image, and I'm not even totally against Lorde. I just don't think she has a developed brand/image yet, like the artists that I mentioned. And as a new artist, I doubt she would. I think artists with a more concrete persona are better choices for collections. I'm just setting here like, "Who is Lorde?"
shrugs.gif
That's just me, though.

rocksteadybaby

I was truly surprised with the decision Mac made with doing a collab with Lorde I'm interested to see what they come up with. I have to agree with the others as well I don't see her that established as a artist to do this with Mac. I remember when she first came out she was pretty plain looking then starting wearing dark Vampy color lipstick
shrugs.gif

Spectacular

So it's been mentioned she's the new Viva Glam, so is it safe to say this 'collection' is going to be just that? It all seems to be lining up, Rihanna's Viva Glam should technically end by June. Could be interesting to have two different Viva Glam spokeswomen per year, though I hope that doesn't cause a burn out.

Wolverina

I'm only 20, so I'm not far from a teen myself lol. I definitely wouldn't be against a more alternative artist/image, and I'm not even totally against Lorde. I just don't think she has a developed brand/image yet, like the artists that I mentioned. And as a new artist, I doubt she would. I think artists with a more concrete persona are better choices for collections. I'm just setting here like, "Who is Lorde?" :shrugs: That's just me, though.
I think that's a fair criticism and I'm only speaking of the kids I work with in urbanized NV- these guys know her well but again they have a heavy and steady diet of MTV and have their radios on to the predictable stations all night long. They know her because MTV decided they should. I'm not crazy about a lot of her music but for some reason the girls at the shelter really seem to like her, and I only see that as a positive although I'm not a big fan of putting celebrities on a pedestal. And you hit the nail on the head re: Beyoncé. She is so stylish and yet her makeup never ever makes an impression on me the way Rihanna's does. I don't like Rihanna at all but she sure knows her way around a tube of lipstick.

DarylandCarole

I can't wait to see what they come out with! :) I love makeup & I love Lorde's music (though I'm tired of the radio playing Royals over & over again- they need to give it a break & play some of her others songs). As far as wearing certain colors during different seasons, I wear whatever whenever- call me a rebel lol I personally like the MAC collaborations w/ musicians. Great marketing by having a new Grammy winner added to the roster. I do agree w/ others about having collabs w/ Gwen, Pink, Katy, and Janelle but they'd have to get out of current contracts for that to happen. I've been longing for an Adele or Lana Del Rey collab! I'm surprised that they haven't already picked up Ellie Goulding or Demi Lovato actually. I know that many of you may not agree with me but it's just my opinion (and I'm not a teen).
Oh I love Lana Del Ray's music! I like Lorde, too. If they do this as a Viva Glam rep it will be good for them. They do try to appeal to a wide demographic. I am FAR from a teen (50), but I try to keep up with all alternative music. Plus I'll buy any make-up if I like it. I bought Viva Glam Nicki and I didn't care about her one way or another.

vaisforluvrs

It all seems to be lining up, Rihanna's Viva Glam should technically end by June. Could be interesting to have two different Viva Glam spokeswomen per year, though I hope that doesn't cause a burn out.
I guess it would make sense to have her just collaborate on one lipstick, rather than a whole collection, given that she's not established enough as some of you have mentioned. And I know that we have all mentioned how great it would be to have a non-red Viva Glam color, so maybe they finally listened and we'll be getting a purple Viva Glam this year. Who knows?!