MAC FAQ: Back2MAC (B2M)

gigglegirl

no lip pencil.

If you go to a counter: Just lipstick
If you go to a freestanding mac store: lipstick, lipgloss, or eyeshadow

BeautyPsycho

I did Back2MAC today (counter in Macy's), got Heatherette l/s. MU offered me any regular l/s, slimshine or Heatherette.

MzFit

They let me get any lipc colour even pro long wear
smiles.gif
But not the lip pencils.

xangela

Can you only get lipsticks from mailing B2M, or is it like the freestanding stores where you can get shadows too?

erine1881

Quote:
Originally Posted by xangela
Can you only get lipsticks from mailing B2M, or is it like the freestanding stores where you can get shadows too?

you can only get lipsticks. freestanding stores give you different options ONLY if you have your personal info entered into the system, and they don't do that thru the mail. thats why you only get a lipstick.

sofabean

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeautyPsycho
I did Back2MAC today (counter in Macy's), got Heatherette l/s. MU offered me any regular l/s, slimshine or Heatherette.

LUCKY!!!
drools.gif

I just called a mac store in nordstrom over where I live in San Francisco and I'm so relieved that they take b2m eyeshadow empties without the silver pans in them since department stores normally won't around here (especially Macys!!)

damsel

can cremestick liners be used for b2m? people keep on saying that it can be due to that fact that it's housed in plastic. i just bought 1 and there is no b2m printed on the packaging.
th_dunno.gif

erine1881

Quote:
Originally Posted by damsel
can cremestick liners be used for b2m? people keep on saying that it can be due to that fact that it's housed in plastic. i just bought 1 and there is no b2m printed on the packaging.
th_dunno.gif

yes they can. the only things that don't count are eye kohl/pencil, powerpoint, lip pencil, studio touch up stick, and brushes. any glass, metal or plastic containers can be used for b2m.

hhunt2

FYI & Update for Bay Area B2M-ers (408 area):

I went to Valley Fair yesterday (free standing store). I gave my B2M stuff and the guy said that they WILL take depotted e/s and they DO NOT need the pans in them. If the inner pot (the plastic base that holds the pan) are distroyed due to burning, thats OKAY. And of course, you can get an e/s, l/g or l/s (the usual). And for limited edition stuff... you can get LE stuff in exchange for B2M but the LE stuff has to have normal packing (ex: Heatherette= NO, b/c the designed packing, etc.)

I hope this clears up some confussion for people!

neezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhunt2
FYI & Update for Bay Area B2M-ers (408 area):

I went to Valley Fair yesterday (free standing store). I gave my B2M stuff and the guy said that they WILL take depotted e/s and they DO NOT need the pans in them. If the inner pot (the plastic base that holds the pan) are distroyed due to burning, thats OKAY. And of course, you can get an e/s, l/g or l/s (the usual). And for limited edition stuff... you can get LE stuff in exchange for B2M but the LE stuff has to have normal packing (ex: Heatherette= NO, b/c the designed packing, etc.)

I hope this clears up some confussion for people!

welp they let me swap out for heatherette here in nc...i heard in some spots they make folks turn in the silver pot too as well to show they "used" it...i mean what's it to them? lol

erine1881

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhunt2
And for limited edition stuff... you can get LE stuff in exchange for B2M but the LE stuff has to have normal packing (ex: Heatherette= NO, b/c the designed packing, etc.)

thats a bunch of bullshit! there are b2m post cards we hand out at the counter, and it says nothing about not being able to get special packaging LE stuff. it says any l/s (or l/g or e/s at stores) of your choice with the exception of VG. we let them pick ANY lipstick they want, except for VG of course. cause that's the policy.

it drives me crazy when some places make up different rules. if you want a LE lipstick, and no location will give them to, i'd call customer service and complain. and if you can get ahold of one of those postcards, do so. thats evidence right there that they aren't following policy.

sorry, i just had to vent.

MACATTAK

^^ ITA! I wish Mac would be more consistent as far as their B2M policies. With pans or without pans, LE or no LE...it gets confusing.

Moxy

A couple of weeks ago I've been to MAC counter on Stansted airport (in London) in Duty world free area and the MA told me they don't do back2mac there and said they only do it in free standing stores.
When I told her I know for a fact that various counters in UK do it, she just shrugged.
Is turning in empties by mail in UK also possible, or can you do that only in US?

TDoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekim
i actually called corporate mac and she said it is a corporate policy to NOT accept depotted shadows for B2M. she said the packaging MUST have the metal tin for B2M.

she did say though that not all mac stores or counters probably follow the policy and they are in the process to get all stores/counters to do so.

so i guess you're lucky if they accept them w/o the tin~

That sounds kinda strange. I know there are a lot of rumors about that but I spoke to the manager of the MAC store I go to today (I B2M'd 36 empty containers, most being depotted eyeshadows, lash case, lipglass, tendertone pot) and she not only accepted all of them, but said that there is no such rule. This store sells pro products and is a pretty big store...I dunno, I just figured that she would know...
She also said that every store should offer you a free lipstick, eyeshadow, or any type of lipgloss (lipglass, lustreglass, etc.) per 6 items...not just a free lipstick.
The whole not accepting depotted eye shadows is bs because she said they only recycle the plastic and glass parts of packaging.

erine1881

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDoll
She also said that every store should offer you a free lipstick, eyeshadow, or any type of lipgloss (lipglass, lustreglass, etc.) per 6 items...not just a free lipstick.
The whole not accepting depotted eye shadows is bs because she said they only recycle the plastic and glass parts of packaging.

stores, yes, but at counters its only a lipstick.

and they do recycle metal packaging too. thats why paints and studio mists are b2m-able.

glamdoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDoll
That sounds kinda strange. I know there are a lot of rumors about that but I spoke to the manager of the MAC store I go to today (I B2M'd 36 empty containers, most being depotted eyeshadows, lash case, lipglass, tendertone pot) and she not only accepted all of them, but said that there is no such rule. This store sells pro products and is a pretty big store...I dunno, I just figured that she would know...

What the heck? I went to the Pro store to return depotted stuff and i was told no, that they have to have the metal tin or else its like only giving back half the container. So they didn't take it. I ended up taking it to the counter who doesnt check and conformed to lipsticks rather than my shadows I wanted
ssad.gif

erine1881

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnie
Does the plastic case tweezers come in count?

Twice, I've b2m and they didn't even check, just took the bag..

nope. neither does the bag that the #129SH comes in.

MaryJane

Mac really needs to make sure all of the stores follow the same B2M policy and are consistent about it. I called 2 stores before I bought NeoSciFi, one store said I could use B2M for the collection, the other said no. Okay....so on Weds I go to the store that said yes and use B2M for 2 glosses from the new collection. I went back to the same store today to get another gloss w/more B2M and was told I couldn't do that! I explained I was in that same store earlier in the week and did B2M for the new collection ~ the MA said they weren't supposed to accept B2M for new collections until they were 'off the floor'.

I could almost understand different stores having different policies but the MA's in the same store not following the same policy????? Very frustrating.

erine1881

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryJane
Mac really needs to make sure all of the stores follow the same B2M policy and are consistent about it. I called 2 stores before I bought NeoSciFi, one store said I could use B2M for the collection, the other said no. Okay....so on Weds I go to the store that said yes and use B2M for 2 glosses from the new collection. I went back to the same store today to get another gloss w/more B2M and was told I couldn't do that! I explained I was in that same store earlier in the week and did B2M for the new collection ~ the MA said they weren't supposed to accept B2M for new collections until they were 'off the floor'.

I could almost understand different stores having different policies but the MA's in the same store not following the same policy????? Very frustrating.

that's a bunch of bullshit man! waiting til its off the floor? i've never even heard of that. did they let you do it the second time, after you explained you did it earlier at that same store?

since i'm at a counter, we can only give a lipstick for b2m, but we allow regular bullets (excluding VG of course), slimshines (which all locations are required to allow, as per a company-wide memo sent out, but for some reason not all locations allow
angry.gif
) and any LE bullet. there is no rule that LE aren't allowed or that they are but you have to wait a certain amount of time.

i would print off the policy as stated on the website and take that in. hell, its even stated in the PKM:

by returning 6 mac primary packaging containers to a mac counter, the customer receives a free mac lipstick of his/her choice (except for VGs). customers who provide their name and address/emailaddress to be entered into the CRM database will now have the option of choosing from 3 product categories when returning their 6 emptymac primary packaging containers. by returning 6 empties to a mac store, these customers will now be able to choose a lipstick, a single eyeshadow (excluding mineralize duo or pro palettes) or any of the following lip products as their free product: any lipstick (except for VG), clear or tinted lipglass (excluding VG), chromeglass, lipgelee, lustreglass or plushglass.

the expanded b2m program was added to and updated in the PKM on 10/07. the slimshines should be added in the next PKM update. this should arrive any day now.

see, no rules excluding LE or having to wait til they're off the floor. if they refuse, tell them it states this in the PKM, and if they still don't honor it, ask for the contact number for their MRO, and call and complain. this is the current policy and must be honored by ALL locations.
rules.gif

ok. i'm done now!