MAC Vibe Tribe Collection (May 12/19 2016)

shellygrrl

Staff member
I don't understand the "cultural appropriation" problem. If I think something from another culture is beautiful and I want to wear it, why can't I? I'm not referring to disrespecting religious symbols, I mean like wearing a mandarin dress or a saari. Why not? I have Navajo jewelry why shouldn't I? If Beyonce wanted to wear Indian style dress because she thinks it's beautiful (as do I) why is that bad? Should I be mad at Asians for wearing t-shirts and jeans?

Asians wearing t-shirts and jeans is not the same as a white person wearing traditional clothing from another culture when it's not their place to do so.

The only way your Navajo jewelry would be okay to wear is if you bought it from Navajo jewelry makers, because you'd be supporting their craftsmanship and compensating them for their work.

http://everydayfeminism.com/2013/09/cultural-exchange-and-cultural-appropriation/
http://everydayfeminism.com/2014/12/what-exactly-is-cultural-appropriation-and-how-is-it-harmful/

And one link especially pertinent with regards to this...
http://everydayfeminism.com/2014/08/honor-native-americans-without-appropriating/

Miss Dynamite

I don't understand the "cultural appropriation" problem. If I think something from another culture is beautiful and I want to wear it, why can't I? I'm not referring to disrespecting religious symbols, I mean like wearing a mandarin dress or a saari. Why not? I have Navajo jewelry why shouldn't I? If Beyonce wanted to wear Indian style dress because she thinks it's beautiful (as do I) why is that bad? Should I be mad at Asians for wearing t-shirts and jeans?

I have no idea, none of it makes sense to me. But then again, nothing offends me.

beauteblogueur

MAC being so disingenuous about the inspiration for this collection is really putting me off it now. I felt a bit odd about it when it was announced, but hoped it would at least turn out they had been respectful. But trying to deny there's any Native American influence in this, and instead crediting the white people who wander around Coachella in what looks like dollar store Pocahontas costumes...it's not a good look at all.

I wish they'd have collaborated with a Native American artist on this instead.

B

Buffy89

MAC being so disingenuous about the inspiration for this collection is really putting me off it now. I felt a bit odd about it when it was announced, but hoped it would at least turn out they had been respectful. But trying to deny there's any Native American influence in this, and instead crediting the white people who wander around Coachella in what looks like dollar store Pocahontas costumes...it's not a good look at all.

I wish they'd have collaborated with a Native American artist on this instead.

My thoughts exactly (I miss the thanks button ). They could have teamed up with a Native American artist to prevent the problem. Besides, I imagine the packaging would turn out even prettier and not rip-off-ish.

Mac-Guy

Painted Sunset looks lovely. Don't think I can pull of the nude though, it looks so light.

Nudes can be lovely when they have the right undertone and texture. I need to try this in person, otherwise it might go horribly wrong.

verorl

Painted Sunset is gorgeous!!!!!! I will be getting this, along with all the orange, red, and orange-red items. :)

bluelitzer

I'm most likely only getting Hot Chocolate. Maybe Tanarama for layering over Whirl lip pencil, but I'd have to see in person.

stirfryedshana

Damn that nude is looking like it's not going to bode well for me...might end up getting Painted Sunset instead. I wonder how it would compare to Peach Beige from the Pedro Collection though, they look pretty similar and I did miss out on that one?

Last edited:

macaddictx

Now I'm sure I want that Call of the Canyon plus a blush. I'm gonna skip Arrowhead, I was hoping it would be a bit darker.

bluelitzer

Arrowhead is kind of reminding me of Beauty from Glamourdaze Collection, except that was straight up pale pink and glaze finish and this is more mauvey and matte.

Myth

Nudes can be lovely when they have the right undertone and texture. I need to try this in person, otherwise it might go horribly wrong.
So true lol
Fleshpot is HG on me but if Arrowhead is some kind of nude mauve (kind of like Ring My Bell which I also skipped) it just will not work on me

AnitaK

My list is small. Hot Chocolate lipstick and Painted Canyon blush. I may pick up the gleamstones powder but that is pending swatches and me checking it out in store.

Latest posts