MAC x Archie's Girls (Betty & Veronica) Collection Discussion (February 2013)

nudibelle

thanks for the swatches. i'm just a smidge darker than your skintone, so they're very useful!
judging from the swatches, i'm sure they must look lovely on you!
im sold sold sold on the ronnie red and dlg
that nicki i just can not pull off girl.. thanks alot

nudibelle

about to do a little enabling here....

Products I am wearing in this look from AG..

Caramel Sundae Quad- Lovely!! I do not mind pigmentation, its meant to be soft and pretty. In the look I am wearing the pink in the inner corner/tear duct/under the eye, The yellow shade all over the lid, the light brown in the outer V and upwards into the crease, with the darkest shade in the outer V. I also put the light brown on the lower lashline.

Cream Soda Blush- Love this!!! I own all the more recent orange/coral/peach blushes such as IF, Legendary, Launch Away!, Supercontinental, Poised, ect, and this is by far my favorite. It has a milkier color to it with micro shimmer.

Daddy's Little Girl Lipstick- Super sheer lustre, but I love sheer lustres for every day or a quick look. I am not wearing a liner with it here.

I recommend all three products!!!! especially if you are at or around my skin tone, NC15 but very neutral.
your contour is KICKIN ASS TAKIN NAMES
mannnn why doesnt mine ever come out like that

lilinah

Temptalia has most of the Archie collection reviewed now. Christine definitely looks at each item separately - she gave some A's and some C's. I may not agree with her, but i think she tries to be fair - in how each works for and looks on HER.

In her reviews of the two Pearlmattes, she worked hard to pick up masses of product, and she actually went as far as to SCRAPE color off the hearts, since apparently they are as subtle as the base, and she wanted their color to show more strongly.

Maybe i'm a wimp in how i approached the Pearlmattes, but it seemed to me that they are not meant to give up as much color as blushes. Rather they are meant to be used over a greater area of the face than blush or highlighter, so they are sheer and subtle. I certainly didn't get as much color out of them as she did, and i think my experience was reasonable. Of course, YMMV.

erinmichelle87

Gorgeous erinmichelle87...you look A-mazing! I'm not a pro by any means but I've observed that bad product reviews are resultant of the user/reviewer failing to utilize/apply the products maximally and effectively. I preordered the Caramel Sundae quad and have had second thoughts about it based on various reviews. Well you have helped solidify my decision...the quad stays on my list! Thank you for demonstrating that there is more than one way to skin a cat! (Just an old expression---I'm a die hard animal lover).
Thank you! I totally agree with you. I find that T usually gives eyeshadows poor reviews if they are on the sheer side, but I can tell by the looks she creates that eyeshadow placement/utilizing the eyeshadow definitely isn't her strong point.. which is fine, I used to only like pigmented shadows before I could do crease work and outer v work.

BunnyHeffner

about to do a little enabling here....

Products I am wearing in this look from AG..

Caramel Sundae Quad- Lovely!! I do not mind pigmentation, its meant to be soft and pretty. In the look I am wearing the pink in the inner corner/tear duct/under the eye, The yellow shade all over the lid, the light brown in the outer V and upwards into the crease, with the darkest shade in the outer V. I also put the light brown on the lower lashline.

Cream Soda Blush- Love this!!! I own all the more recent orange/coral/peach blushes such as IF, Legendary, Launch Away!, Supercontinental, Poised, ect, and this is by far my favorite. It has a milkier color to it with micro shimmer.

Daddy's Little Girl Lipstick- Super sheer lustre, but I love sheer lustres for every day or a quick look. I am not wearing a liner with it here.

I recommend all three products!!!! especially if you are at or around my skin tone, NC15 but very neutral.
Wow! I hadn't really given Caramel Sundae or Cream Soda a second look because I was sure they would be way too warm for me...but now I am! Caramel Sundae looks amazing on you! Definitely one of my favorite looks that I have seen recently! I can't get over how much I like it. I think it is the "yellowy" color. It kind of reminds me of an antique gold. It is warmer than I would normally purchase but I'm thinking it would compliment green/hazel eyes very well. It's a nice everyday look but the colors seem unique enough to not be boring. You weren't kidding about doing some enabling! I can't believe I'm thinking about picking this up!
sigh.gif

Have any pale NW's tried Cream Soda? I'm loving it on you (and I thought it looked great when Christine swatched it on Temptalia...) but I'm worried it might just read as orange on me. You compared it to Legendary and I really like the way that looks on me...decisions, decisions!

Maybe slightly off-topic, but I have to ask what products you are using for your brows. They are perfect!

Anneri

This is completely random, but I'm sorting out my room and I have about 200+ issues of British Vogue and Elle that I don't know what to do with! When I was younger I used to make scrapbooks with all my favourite images and articles, but I don't think I have enough time now. Any ideas? Currently they're all hiding under my bed
girlhaha.gif
Have a look here, Gracie: http://chrysti.squarespace.com/alwa...0-ways-to-creatively-reuse-old-magazines.html

I'm sure you'll find something in there!

erinmichelle87

Wow! I hadn't really given Caramel Sundae or Cream Soda a second look because I was sure they would be way too warm for me...but now I'm giving them a serious second look! Caramel Sundae looks amazing on you! Definitely one of my favorite looks that I have seen recently! I can't get over how much I like it. I think it is the "yellowy" color. It kind of reminds me of an antique gold. It's a nice everyday look but the colors seem unique enough to not be boring. You weren't kidding about doing some enabling! I can't believe I'm thinking about picking this up!
sigh.gif

Have any pale NW's tried Cream Soda? I'm loving it on you (and I thought it looked great when Christine swatched it on Temptalia...) but I'm worried it might just read as orange on me. You compared it to Legendary and I really like the way that looks on me...decisions, decisions!

Maybe slightly off-topic, but I have to ask what products you are using for your brows. They are perfect!
Thank you for your compliments!!

Brows were done with Lingering Brow Pencil, I literally draw a line at the base of the brow all the way through the arch. I then use a slanted eye liner brush like the 266 and pull the product upward into my brow to diffuse the line. I only like to use the pencil at the base because if you draw a line at the top of the brow it can get that masculine/over done/carved brow look (which is fine for some, it doesn't work for me personally.) After this, I use my 219 brush and fill the entire brow in with Omega eye shadow. I try to square out the front of the brow and extend the arch. Finally I will fill in the tail or make any last minute touches with my 266 again, using Omega. It is my go to brow shade, I can also get away with using espresso or charcoal brown if I want something darker. Hope that helps.

erine1881

That's an idea.  I wonder if they would stack well?
Alexs are pretty heavy (my 9-drawer one is 37kg) so maybe stacking them won't be a good idea. They are very sturdy, but I don't know if they are that sturdy.
That's so amazing! My dad got me a glass vanity for my birthday and it's black so it matches my room already so now I have to find storage that's black and matches everything so I can store my makeup. I really wished the alex drawers came in black.
The 6 drawer wide alex is the only one that comes in black. They specifically say not to stack em, but I've seen a couple vids on YT where people have stacked em. I'm not gonna stack em. I don't like when my products are stored higher than my vanity.
Anyone know what lip liner to wear with it BB to make it pull more coral?
LS.

Mac-Guy

Gorgeous erinmichelle87...you look A-mazing! I'm not a pro by any means but I've observed that bad product reviews are resultant of the user/reviewer failing to utilize/apply the products maximally and effectively. I preordered the Caramel Sundae quad and have had second thoughts about it based on various reviews. Well you have helped solidify my decision...the quad stays on my list! Thank you for demonstrating that there is more than one way to skin a cat! (Just an old expression---I'm a die hard animal lover).
iagree.gif

BunnyHeffner

Thank you for your compliments!!

Brows were done with Lingering Brow Pencil, I literally draw a line at the base of the brow all the way through the arch. I then use a slanted eye liner brush like the 266 and pull the product upward into my brow to diffuse the line. I only like to use the pencil at the base because if you draw a line at the top of the brow it can get that masculine/over done/carved brow look (which is fine for some, it doesn't work for me personally.) After this, I use my 219 brush and fill the entire brow in with Omega eye shadow. I try to square out the front of the brow and extend the arch. Finally I will fill in the tail or make any last minute touches with my 266 again, using Omega. It is my go to brow shade, I can also get away with using espresso or charcoal brown if I want something darker. Hope that helps.
It does! Thank You!

Boasorte

I saw it in both manhattan and queens
now my question is this came out in NYC but was it only in manhattan?? or did they mean the whole tri state area.  I live in Long Island so im not even sure if that counts also.  My package comes on monday and if I want backups of any of the lipsticks i would be screwed if they came out in every NY store for real  [/quote I saw it in both Manhattan and Queens.

erinmichelle87

your contour is KICKIN ASS TAKIN NAMES
mannnn why doesnt mine ever come out like that
practice practice!! It took me a long time to realize that less is more and finding the right product for your skin tone. I use sculpt pro powder with the 165 brush (killer for contouring) I put my blush on first actually, the add the contour after. I blend them together afterwards! Believe me though, I still have days where it comes out looking patchy and strange.. I find that adding a good amount of powder to that area first makes it appear smoother (like mineralize skin finish natural)

sss215

about to do a little enabling here.... Products I am wearing in this look from AG.. Caramel Sundae Quad- Lovely!! I do not mind pigmentation, its meant to be soft and pretty. In the look I am wearing the pink in the inner corner/tear duct/under the eye, The yellow shade all over the lid, the light brown in the outer V and upwards into the crease, with the darkest shade in the outer V. I also put the light brown on the lower lashline. Cream Soda Blush- Love this!!! I own all the more recent orange/coral/peach blushes such as IF, Legendary, Launch Away!, Supercontinental, Poised, ect, and this is by far my favorite. It has a milkier color to it with micro shimmer.  EDIT::: Girl Next Door Lipstick- Super sheer lustre, but I love sheer lustres for every day or a quick look. I am not wearing a liner with it here.  I recommend all three products!!!! especially if you are at or around my skin tone, NC15 but very neutral. 
So pretty!!!

lilinah

Quote: Originally Posted by elegant-one
rofl.gif
angelic.gif
who, me

nocomment.gif

I'm so glad you explained that to the Sephora associate
amuse.gif

She was just another shopper. I figure she thought she didn't need to believe some dumpy old lady (i.e., me). Hey, i may not look like a super model on the outside, but on the inside...

I have to know what you think of the Bouthan duo!!!

I tested Bouthan (= boo-tahn = Buhtan - NARS uses the French spelling). The lighter side is a quite pale "icing sugar" matte pink. I was concerned it might be a bit chalky, but i think it's OK when blended out. The darker side is also matte, a nice colorful blush pink, but with silver glitter in it - with the proper eye primer, there probably won't be fall out.

In the end i didn't buy it because i have so many wonderful MAC pink eyeshadows that work really well on me. I have to say i'm really liking the pink eye looks i've been creating lately, but i may give in and go back for it.

I bought Via Appia eye pencil & it's a lovely lovely warm browny copper. I wish it was just a tad more espresso, but it's really flattering on hazel eyes.

When i got back into wearing makeup again a few years ago, one of the very first things i picked up was Laura Mercier Kohl Eye Pencil in Brown Copper. I don't know exactly how it compares to Via Appia, but i suspect they're similar (i'll test them both next time i'm in sephora). Coppery browns are really nice on hazel and warm brown eyes.

Latest posts