MAC x Archie's Girls (Betty & Veronica) Collection Discussion (February 2013)

sss215

I wonder if there is a mirror attached to the plastic tote. I remember novelty totes with different charcters being this way when I was a kid.

lilinah

Quote: Originally Posted by Anitacska
There are some lovely looking things in this collection, but I have to say, I really don't care for the packaging. I've never heard of this comic before and it looks very dated and childish. Oh well, it's not going to stop me from buying things though.
winks.gif

The original Archie comics debuted in 1941 (i had to look that up) and aimed to create characters who were "ordinary kids" that real ordinary kids could relate to. I would say its original readership would have been tween - between 10 and 13 or 14 - and teen boys and girls. By the time i saw Archie Comics in the late 1950s and early 1960s, i think readers were probably mostly at tween girls and a few tween boys, since the content would have been considered too "mushy" by most boys.

So, yes, "Archie" is old-fashioned and, perhaps, child-like.

The characters were mostly high school kids (in the US ages 14-17), but included teachers, the school principal, parents, etc. The main characters were the red-headed Archie who had crushes on the blonde girl-next-door Betty and the brunette elegant and spoiled rich girl Veronica. His side-kick was the goofy Jughead, who wore a REAL felt beanie (not a knit cap). And his nemesis was the arrogant rich kid Reggie, who assumed that Veronica was his.

So "Archie's Girls" represents more innocent and optimistic days, when exchanging a kiss was a really big deal.

Naughtyp

The original Archie comics debuted in 1941 (i had to look that up) and aimed to create characters who were "ordinary kids" that real ordinary kids could relate to. I would say its original readership would have been tween - between 10 and 13 or 14 - and teen boys and girls. By the time i saw Archie Comics in the late 1950s and early 1960s, i think readers were probably mostly at tween girls and a few tween boys, since the content would have been considered too "mushy" by most boys.

The characters were mostly high school kids (in the US ages 14-17), but included teachers, the school principal, parents, etc. The main characters were the red-headed Archie who had crushes on the blonde girl-next-door Betty and the brunette elegant and spoiled rich girl Veronica. His side-kick was the goofy Jughead, who wore a REAL felt beanie (not a knit cap). And his nemesis was the arrogant rich kid Reggie, who assumed that Veronica was his.

So "Archie's Girls" represents more innocent and optimistic days, when exchanging a kiss was a really big deal.
nice history there lol makes me want everything even more..i noticed the comincs in the grocery stores and would read them in line. only ever had a couple but its too cute not to love! =)

Audrey C

The 167SH is still available on the Canadian site for anyone who can order that way - I ordered a second for myself when I found it. This has become my powder brush - now I'll have a second for bronzer since that's what I bought it for.

CharlieKelly

sigh.gif

MACina

bigheart.gif
.....everything looks so beautiful
eyelove.gif

I am most excited for the 2 Pearlmatte Face Powders (especially the pink one -> Veronicas???),the pigments (green
love.gif
),
the blushes and the Rich Spoiled Eyeshadow Quad.

I will also get some lippies and lipglosses but lip products won' t be the major part of my haul.

Hopefully that the lip and/or eye pencils are not permanent ones.I always love to see some pretty LE shades!

found these as well! I tried to zoom in on the pictures of the actual products, however, the quality isnt that great on the pics

peachsuns

The 167SH is still available on the Canadian site for anyone who can order that way - I ordered a second for myself when I found it. This has become my powder brush - now I'll have a second for bronzer since that's what I bought it for.
I wish I could buy it from the US. Enjoy yours Audrey! Hope MAC will bring it back in the future. I'll buy it in a heatbeat!
lol.gif

AniBEE

I saw the Vera pearlmattes and they look like blushes. Are pearlmattes typically like that? Or something different? Do they really serve as a mattifying product? Cause I have dry skin on my cheeks. Sorry for the noob questions and TIA.
smiles.gif
The peralmatte formula is relatively new to the line. The were first introduced in the MAC in Lillyland collection from 2010 with the MAC Pearlmatte Face Powder that was more of a bronzer/hilighter for warm medium tones. The Vera pearlmattes where definitely blush shades and the second time they were released. They are slightly dewy due to a shimmer section in all of them.

Is anyone else reminded of physicians formula face powders with the hearts in these. lol

Audrey C

I think I should. Thank you, Mac-Guy!
greengrin.gif

I can't believe I missed 167SH. I was a bit too late. Enjoy yours Gracie.
yes.gif

I wish I could buy it from the US. Enjoy yours Audrey! Hope MAC will bring it back in the future. I'll buy it in a heatbeat!
lol.gif
The brush is $41 Cdn (higher than the USD at the mo) and there is 13% tax. If you can find it at a CCO, it would be much cheaper. If you can't, let me know. :)

Jennifae

Specktra Bestie
The peralmatte formula is relatively new to the line. The were first introduced in the MAC in Lillyland collection from 2010 with the MAC Pearlmatte Face Powder that was more of a bronzer/hilighter for warm medium tones. The Vera pearlmattes where definitely blush shades and the second time they were released. They are slightly dewy due to a shimmer section in all of them.

Is anyone else reminded of physicians formula face powders with the hearts in these. lol
Yes! That's what I thought the first time I saw them.
th_roll1.gif
It's really cute though.
love.gif

Naughtyp

wow I have 18 items on my list so far!! I'm only allowing myself to get 20 lol so I get to pick out two more things on e the full color story is out... so so bad lol

xasperadastra

I guess it's a makeup bag, the bag/box for the brushes looks different in the Twitter pic we saw. So I think there's the tote, a makeup bag, a mirror and a brush set.
that heart shape bag is too cute ^^ the mirror too!!!
Uff I already want too much! such as a quad (at last), the peach pearlmatte, veronica's blush, two pigments (mint and purple), I guess two lipstick, accessorizes......