NARS Makeup Brushes

WhatWouldJoanDo

I'm so excited. Ok, so I've always bought good makeup brushes; specifically I only own MAC brushes. After what I would describe as a head over heels experience with all things that I try NARs, I recently bought the two makeup brushes that were recommended to me by an international NARs artist (I felt like the luckiest girl that day). Anyways, I did a little review (2 short posts) on my blog :) (the link is in my signature). The short story is I love my new brushes xoxoxoxoxxxx :)
lol!

WhatWouldJoanDo

Just got the NARS #5 eyebrow brush this week - can't believe this brush! It's amazing in how it shapes the brow and deposits the colour naturally and effortlessly. Dare I say it's my new fav brush, followed closely behind with the NARS Push and small domed brush (#14 and #2).

MarieMary

I have the #14, and I love it!
I'm thinking of getting the #12, and #5. The #3 as well, but it's just outrageously expensive in my country (US$105).

One brush that is also very expensive imo (US$80) but is totally worth it is the Yachiyo brush. I cannot say one bad thing about this brush. It's light, it's soft, it's beautiful, it does the job perfectly. I have very pale skin (my Nars foundation shade is Siberia and I set it with Loose Powder in Snow), so applying pigmented blushes is always very difficult because it's so easy to put too much. With the Yachiyo, it looks like the color is glowing from within. :)

fleur de lis

I've just bought the Yachiyo and am very impressed with it so far. I also hear good things about the Ita brush but haven't personally tried it.

WhatWouldJoanDo

Geez both Marie and Fleur de lis ! I am totally gonna have to check out the Yachiyo brush! Even the latest video on my blog the international makeup artist used the Yachiyo brush!
worms.gif

Prettypackages

I'm starting to love Nars brushes, I love the small dome brush for the inner 1/3 of the crease. I also love how the brushes feel in my hand.

cindypltnm81

I started with MAC brushes...slowly ventured off into NARS (LOVE EM)!! I have #(1,2,3,4,12,13,14,15, Boton #20, yahciyo #27)

WhatWouldJoanDo

Wow-ee!!! That's a beautiful NARS brush set!! I started too with MAC, and now I barely touch them and buy/use NARS' brushes instead. Recently got the Yachiyo brush :)

I started with MAC brushes...slowly ventured off into NARS (LOVE EM)!! I have #(1,2,3,4,12,13,14,15, Boton #20, yahciyo #27)

XxMoOmOoxX

I've felt the Nars Large Domed Eye brush, Small Domed Eye brush, and Wide Contour brush at a Nars counter and they all felt scratchy.

I know some brushes can't be too soft or they won't work properly, but those 3 brushes were just uncomfortable, especially when using in the eye area.

I also bought the Yachiyo brush and although it wasn't scratchy, it wasn't as soft as my other brushes. When it comes to my face/cheek area, the brush must be really soft.

sss215

I posted this in another NARS brush thread. I didn't find too much info on the care of the Botan, so i decided to share my experience with anyone who wants to know more about the care of this brush:

I got Botan and washed it first like I do all my brushes. I've read reviews about how it sheds and bleeds alot during that initial wash. The color bled, but i had minimum shedding. I was very happy about that!

I didn't find alot of info about how to wash Botan, so I'll post here in case anyone is looking for info.

First thing, very, very, important: save the plastic tube Botan is packaged in. Its a very heavy plastic tube that is perfect for keeping Botan's shape in between washes and uses. Its also perfect for storing and traveling with Botan (if you choose too, its HUGE!) I dried Botan over night and its 95% drive. I slipped it back into the tube for additional drying and shaping.

I washed it with a small drop of shampoo and warm water. In steps I added water to the shampoo as I did not want to douse it with water. I rubbed the shampoo through until the brush was saturated. The shampoo turned burgundy while I was doing this. Its normal.

Then I rinsed with warm water and rubbed the remaining shampoo through, still burgundy. Rinsed again with cold water, as cold water releases soap from hair and fur better than hot or warm water. I did this until the water ran clear. check to make sure all the suds are out. the water may run clear, but some suds may still be in there.

Next, I shook and squeezed the brush dry, with my hand and then with paper towel. I repeated this step until the loose water was out of it. get as much water out as you can to cut down on drying time. some people says it takes 2-3 days, I didn't see that with the way I hand dried it.

Lastly, I propped the brush bristle down next to my makeup organizer on top of paper towels, allowing the water to drain, over night. This morning, i checked for wetness and since it seemed mostly dry, I put the plastic tube back over it and propped it back up over paper towel.

This process really worked for me and I hope this helps anyone who decides to haul Botan! I know I am going to love it!

cindypltnm81

I posted this in another NARS brush thread.  I didn't find too much info on the care of the Botan,  so i decided to share my experience with anyone who wants to know more about the care of this brush: I got Botan and washed it first like I do all my brushes.  I've read reviews about how it sheds and bleeds alot during that initial wash. The color bled, but i had minimum shedding.  I was very happy about that! I didn't find alot of info about how to wash Botan, so I'll post here in case anyone is looking for info.  First thing, very, very, important: save the plastic tube Botan is packaged in.  Its a very heavy plastic tube that is perfect for keeping Botan's shape in between washes and uses. Its also perfect for storing and traveling with Botan (if you choose too, its HUGE!)   I dried Botan over night and its 95% drive.  I slipped it back into the tube for additional drying and shaping.   I washed it with a small drop of shampoo and warm water. In steps I added water to the shampoo as I did not want to douse it with water.   I rubbed the shampoo through until the brush was saturated.   The shampoo turned burgundy while I was doing this.   Its normal.  Then I rinsed with warm water and rubbed the remaining shampoo through,  still burgundy.  Rinsed again with cold water, as cold water releases soap from hair and fur better than hot or warm water.  I did this until the water ran clear. check to make sure all the suds are out.  the water may run clear, but some suds may still be in there. Next, I shook and squeezed the brush dry, with my hand and then with paper towel. I repeated this step until the loose water was out of it.  get as much water out as you can to cut down on drying time.  some people says it takes 2-3 days,  I didn't see that with the way I hand dried it. Lastly, I propped the brush bristle down next to my makeup organizer on top of paper towels, allowing the water to drain, over night.  This morning, i checked for wetness and since it seemed mostly dry, I put the plastic tube back over it and propped it back up over paper towel. This process really worked for me and I hope this helps anyone who decides to haul Botan!  I know I am going to love it!
How do you stop the shedding? That is my issue with tie brush.

cindypltnm81

It will stop shedding. Those are hairs that didn't set well when the brush was produced. It can be annoying. Mine only shed when I washed it though, yours too?
Yes, but it sheds a little even after drying. Because of that I've only used this brush 4 times over the year I've had it. Reminds me of that bare mineral face brush. Just sheds! So I just do not bother with it.

tirurit

Shedding is very irritating, specially when you have spent an important amount of money buying a brush.

MissTT

I purchased my NARS brushes from the Beauty.com 20% off sale, but you can also get them directly from NARS, Nordstrom, and the like.

Spikesmom

I have the #14, and I love it!
I'm thinking of getting the #12, and #5. The #3 as well, but it's just outrageously expensive in my country (US$105).

One brush that is also very expensive imo (US$80) but is totally worth it is the Yachiyo brush. I cannot say one bad thing about this brush. It's light, it's soft, it's beautiful, it does the job perfectly. I have very pale skin (my Nars foundation shade is Siberia and I set it with Loose Powder in Snow), so applying pigmented blushes is always very difficult because it's so easy to put too much. With the Yachiyo, it looks like the color is glowing from within. :)
That's weird, my Yachiyo was only $50 or $55 and it's scratchy as hell. I love the way it applies color but it makes me cringe when I use it. :(

Latest posts