smiles.gif

I like Obama but I'm not sure if he deserves the Nobel Peace Prize :/

L1LMAMAJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowy Lady
lol, I was just gonna post about that, Karin beat me to it
smiles.gif

I like Obama but I'm not sure if he deserves the Nobel Peace Prize :/

Agreed. What exactly did he do to merit the prize? Don't get me wrong, I do support our President

Face2Mac

He is getting it for the promise of peace.

That he has made the world (mostly but not all) actually like America again, for mending fending that were broken, for actually trying to talk to Iran and engaging in diplomacy instead of me got big stick, you do what I say.

n_c

I heard about it in the news this morning. I think its great too, well deserved Mr.President.

Shadowy Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face2Mac
He is getting it for the promise of peace.

Not sure if I agree with that. A promise is not good enough to merit the peace prize. Would I be given an A+ in a course just because I promised I'll study hard or do I have to actually write the exam and ace it?

I feel like the Nobel Peace Price has become a joke. Do you think Obama compares to the Zimbabwe Prime Minister who has been fighting against Mugabe's rule to save his people? This to me is like Al Gor getting the price for making a movie
th_confused_new.gif
I don't know...like I said I like the man but this is excessive

Face2Mac

Obama was praised by the Nobel Committee for "extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples."

In honoring President Obama, the Nobel Committee stated: "Only very rarely has a person to the same extent as Obama captured the world's attention and given its people hope for a better future. His diplomacy is founded in the concept that those who are to lead the world must do so on the basis of values and attitudes that are shared by the majority of the world's population."

"We are awarding Obama for what he has done," the Nobel Committee said. "Many other people and leaders and nations have to respond in a positive way" to President Obama's diplomacy.

Observers have suggested there is no obvious candidate for the coveted prize this year as no major conflicts have been resolved by peaceful means in the past year.

Their words, agree with or not. It is what it is.

user79

The Nobel Peace Prize has become a political tool most of all. Many of the recipients in recent years have been politically motivated agendas. Not saying none of them deserved it, but it would be naive to say that there isn't a political agenda behind it.

I do think Obama brings a great message of diplomacy and rationality in international politics - but the Nobel Peace Prize for being the US president and doing what is essentially his job? Ehhh....

Some people are saying this was a move to give him more political clout as he is about to embark on several peace missions in the world. I think it is premature, I mean let's see how things develop for the rest of his term first before giving the man a prize.

ShugAvery2001

I think it may have been the outreach to muslim countries when he gave those speeches as well as his efforts to reduce nuclear weapons..
BUT we are in the middle of two wars that he's potentially going to escalate so I found it a bit confusing as well.

ShugAvery2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissChievous
The Nobel Peace Prize has become a political tool most of all. Many of the recipients in recent years have been politically motivated agendas. Not saying none of them deserved it, but it would be naive to say that there isn't a political agenda behind it.

I do think Obama brings a great message of diplomacy and rationality in international politics - but the Nobel Peace Prize for being the US president and doing what is essentially his job? Ehhh....

Great point...

purrtykitty

ITA that award seems premature. I'm also concerned about the mounting pressure he is now under to live up to such promises. Seems like an awful lot to accomplish in one term...

BEA2LS

I support our President and am proud that he won! It is nice to see our country in a good light.
smiles.gif

However, I also think it might be premature and I agree with the poster who said it is confusing with the talk of escalating the war.

hello_my_apple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowy Lady
Not sure if I agree with that. A promise is not good enough to merit the peace prize. Would I be given an A+ in a course just because I promised I'll study hard or do I have to actually write the exam and ace it?

I feel like the Nobel Peace Price has become a joke. Do you think Obama compares to the Zimbabwe Prime Minister who has been fighting against Mugabe's rule to save his people? This to me is like Al Gor getting the price for making a movie
th_confused_new.gif
I don't know...like I said I like the man but this is excessive

in today's age i will take the promise of peace. i think noone can argue that Obama started to bridge the gaps between nations BEFORE he even became president elect. He has this gift where he can speak to people and make them see there is and can be a better way. i dont think something that great men have achived like Martin Luther King Jr. or Desmond Tutu is a joke. you have to understand that these things that Obama has layed out takes time, people expected a miracle from him but he's been in office NINE MONTHS give him a break. i trust him. It's so strange how people from other nations see the greatness of this President but some of our own americans can't. i congratulate him and wish him the best WELL DESERVED MR. PRESIDENT.

ohdanalee

I think this award would have been better received maybe a year or so from now, when he's deeper into his term and things have actually started to change. This seems more like an A for Effort. Or rather, saying he is going to make an effort.

That being said, he is handling it with grace and humility.

BEA2LS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohdanalee
I think this award would have been better received maybe a year or so from now, when he's deeper into his term and things have actually started to change. This seems more like an A for Effort. Or rather, saying he is going to make an effort.

That being said, he is handling it with grace and humility.

that is what i was getting at.. it just seems a bit early for all of this. though i am proud and as always he is handling this with grace.

MarsG

The Nobel Committee & especially committee leader Thorbjørn Jagland (former prime minister of Norway, Labour Party) are getting heat for giving the prize to Obama. Just a few weeks ago the media was stating that Obama will never visit Norway during his presidency. Give him the prize and he´s now coming to Oslo! Just a coincidence or perhaps the Labour Party (current PM) is behind it all? Hmmm....
I think it´s cool he won though. Some say he should decline but IMO regardless if he accepts (which he did so gracefully) or declines, people will disagree or perhaps even be offended (norwegian labour party?
lol.gif
)

Anyhoo, I hope to bag tickets to the Nobel Peace Prize Concert in December.
tong.gif

ShugAvery2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello_my_apple
in today's age i will take the promise of peace. i think noone can argue that Obama started to bridge the gaps between nations BEFORE he even became president elect. He has this gift where he can speak to people and make them see there is and can be a better way. i dont think something that great men have achived like Martin Luther King Jr. or Desmond Tutu is a joke. you have to understand that these things that Obama has layed out takes time, people expected a miracle from him but he's been in office NINE MONTHS give him a break. i trust him. It's so strange how people from other nations see the greatness of this President but some of our own americans can't. i congratulate him and wish him the best WELL DESERVED MR. PRESIDENT.

Can't compare most politicians to MLK or Desmond Tutu.... Baracks done a pretty good job as far as reaching out to other nations as well as being a great example in america on how we can resolve our differences (i.e. Beer Smmit) but .. he's engaged in 2 wars.. that he didn't start okay i'll give you that, but 2 wars that are in the process of being escalated. I mean there's alot .. there was an international investigation into last years Israeli assault on Gaza.. and the Obama administration basically blew it off.. like okay so many died but .. no need to investigate and the casualities of our wars.. I mean we're talking about a PEACE PRIZE here. Prizes are usually given after tangible successes. I think people are just a little perplexed about the timing.

WAR and Peace are total opposites

Latest posts