Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize

TISH1124

Quote:
Originally Posted by reem2790
before i say anything, i'll make it clear i was apart of the 2008 campaign that brought our president into office and damn proud. he is a hero to me and has done more in his pre presidency then bush has in his whole life.

that being said, this is a joke. whatever reason may be he got it, even he was like "wtf?" because he hasn't done it yet-that's not to say he won't-i have 100% faith in THIS president. but i also know he's one man. and for one man....he's doing a heck of a job. but this award should have gone to someone more deserving. and obama himself knows it.

Great Points...I Agree...I think he was just as surprised as we are...But Hey What can you do....It is what it is .....

reem2790

Quote:
Originally Posted by TISH1124
Great Points...I Agree...I think he was just as surprised as we are...But Hey What can you do....It is what it is .....

Exactly, that's why i'm very happy for him, but i'm also convinced this will not be his biggest honor. not even close
smiles.gif

ClaireAvril

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello_my_apple
in today's age i will take the promise of peace. i think noone can argue that Obama started to bridge the gaps between nations BEFORE he even became president elect. He has this gift where he can speak to people and make them see there is and can be a better way. i dont think something that great men have achived like Martin Luther King Jr. or Desmond Tutu is a joke. you have to understand that these things that Obama has layed out takes time, people expected a miracle from him but he's been in office NINE MONTHS give him a break. i trust him. It's so strange how people from other nations see the greatness of this President but some of our own americans can't. i congratulate him and wish him the best WELL DESERVED MR. PRESIDENT.

^^couldn't have said it better!!!

Sass

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShugAvery2001
I think it may have been the outreach to muslim countries when he gave those speeches as well as his efforts to reduce nuclear weapons..
BUT we are in the middle of two wars that he's potentially going to escalate so I found it a bit confusing as well.

Yep, after the health care bill passes he will indeed escalate the war. He has no choice. I love my President, but I wish they had not given him the prize this early. It seems shady to me - it has politics written all over it when I look at it. He does deserve it (in my opinion), but in due time. I think that this puts even more pressure on him to succeed in what he's trying to do for our country and the World.

purrtykitty

I still get the feeling this was a purely political move. But I guess you can't take the politics out of everything.

blazeno.8

As I said on my facebook page, I guess this makes up for that ASU honorary degree that he didn't get. I dunno... fake degree denied because of perceived lack of achievement vs prestigious international prize bestowed because of perceived achievement... lol.

blazeno.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsnowwhite
why exactly did he get a peace prize?

He got it because his message of "Yes We Can"didness:
a) helped open a world dialog that had been previously closed between in many parts of the world.
b) gave a lot of people hope who quite honesty didn't have it before
c) empowered people in democratic nations to go for what they had previously thought of as impossible goals

blazeno.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsnowwhite
i think it's pretty interesting for him to get a peace prize this early in his presidency.

The prize isn't about his presidency. It's about Candidate Obama/President-Elect Obama (meaning that his winning the election was a key part of giving people hope that they could actually achieve what they thought of as a distant dream).

MxAxC-_ATTACK

He does not deserve it, but after Gore was also awarded it, I just don't take it seriously anymore. Its just a "silly award" as of now.

xsnowwhite

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazeno.8
The prize isn't about his presidency. It's about Candidate Obama/President-Elect Obama (meaning that his winning the election was a key part of giving people hope that they could actually achieve what they thought of as a distant dream).

I know I get that but still I don't think he is in any way qualified for a peace prize.

I think it's great, don't hate, congratulate! We need a positive role-model and representative of our country, and thankfully, it's our president. Other countries have grown to despise us...the Nobel came at a good time. Others have said he got it for not being Bush. I lol'd at that one
smiles.gif
It's a good thing, why are people so upset? He got the award, just go with the flow. No backlash will change what's already been done!

And, I disagree with it being a silly award. I'm in the science field, and it's a scientist's dream to be recognized one day for their role in making the world a better place. The people who have earned this award deserve to be commended...in no way should their achievements be undermined.

Monica

I think its a step in the right direction, what a difference it is for the american president to be recognized for good contributions to the world. We need all the help we can get to change the reputation that Bush left us with. Congrats Obama.

Boasorte

Congrats to Obama, I'm happy he's happy he won, but no, just no.

I agree with Snow White, and MAC Attack, and I'm not saying that because I'm not an Obama lover, there are more qualified ppl for that award....
( whoa Kanye flash back)

purrtykitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC_is_Crack
I think it's great, don't hate, congratulate! We need a positive role-model and representative of our country, and thankfully, it's our president. Other countries have grown to despise us...the Nobel came at a good time. Others have said he got it for not being Bush. I lol'd at that one
smiles.gif
It's a good thing, why are people so upset? He got the award, just go with the flow. No backlash will change what's already been done!

And, I disagree with it being a silly award. I'm in the science field, and it's a scientist's dream to be recognized one day for their role in making the world a better place. The people who have earned this award deserve to be commended...in no way should their achievements be undermined.

I don't think anyone is arguing that the Nobel Prizes for achievements in the Science and Medical fields are silly. The argument is that the Nobel Peace Prize has become a political tool, and thus has lost the prestige it once had.

Furthermore, Obama has arguably not earned the award. Giving the award to someone who has accomplished so little in comparison to other more qualified candidates does undermine the achievements of previous recipients, IMO. Which brings us back to the use of the prize as a political tool. The Committee is obviously pushing its own agenda in deciding to bestow this award on Obama.

If the committee's agenda is world peace, I'm all for it! Politics or no, regardless of motivations, he won it. Why can't our country be proud of him? I'm proud he's our president. Perhaps this will spur him onto greater things. What bad stuff can come of this? None, in my humble opinion. There's so much negativity in the world...this is a breath of fresh air.

I do see the other point of view. I understand it. But, what happened happened. Let's see what he has in store!

TISH1124

^Agreed...he was granted the prize....Just like he won the Presidency which some still don't think he deserved...But at the end of the day we can debate it until the end of time...it will not change the fact that he is both...a NPP Winner and the President...Tis what it is. There are so many titles awarded to undeserving people...why is this one an issue....I know why but...Oh well.

jess126xo

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrtykitty
Obama: Nobel Peace Prize is 'call to action' - CNN.com

What are your thoughts?

congrats to him but honestly at this moment he does not deserve it. in class we took out so time to speak abut this and everyone agreed, professor included that he has yet to do something to desrve it. mother tesera sure deserve a nobel peace prize but she never got one, so we all had to ask ourselves "what is the real reason behind this ?"

Latest posts