Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize

Chikky

For...?

I'm sorry, but I don't congratulate him. He didn't deserve it, and he should have politely declined. I would have had respect for him if he did that.

I won't call it the award dumb now, but this takes alot of credibility out of who can get it. For goodness sake, Ghandi never got it, but a nominated after 11 days Obama does?

Utterly ridiculous. He should have declined and said he'd accept it when whatever he's working for got to a certain point and it was earned.

He would've gotten flack for declining I'm sure, unfortunately. You can't win, regardless of what you do.

Who in their right mind would decline an award like that? If anything, accept the award and achieve greater things. It'll give him all the more respect, which, apparently, he really needs!

Almond_Eyed

Not that my opinion really matters because I'm in Canada... but shouldn't someone get the Nobel Peace Prize AFTER they accomplish something??? Not before??? I have nothing against the man, he's doing his best... but...yeah...

kimmy

obama appears to be a whole lot of talk and not enough action, i still don't understand why people put him on such a high pedestal. talking the talk is great; walking the walk is even better.

the nobel prize totally lost its validity for me when they gave al gore one for his efforts to save the environment...despite the fact that he flew his own private jet to new york and was surrounded by a caravan of secret service agents in chevy suburbans so that he couldgo drive a toyota prius around the block and preach about how people like me are causing global warming.

forevernars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowy Lady
Not sure if I agree with that. A promise is not good enough to merit the peace prize. Would I be given an A+ in a course just because I promised I'll study hard or do I have to actually write the exam and ace it?

I feel like the Nobel Peace Price has become a joke. Do you think Obama compares to the Zimbabwe Prime Minister who has been fighting against Mugabe's rule to save his people? This to me is like Al Gor getting the price for making a movie
th_confused_new.gif
I don't know...like I said I like the man but this is excessive

AMEN HUNNY!!!

All except I do not care for this man at all!
thmbdn.gif

PMBG83

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC_is_Crack
I think it's great, don't hate, congratulate! We need a positive role-model and representative of our country, and thankfully, it's our president. Other countries have grown to despise us...the Nobel came at a good time. Others have said he got it for not being Bush. I lol'd at that one
smiles.gif
It's a good thing, why are people so upset? He got the award, just go with the flow. No backlash will change what's already been done!

And, I disagree with it being a silly award. I'm in the science field, and it's a scientist's dream to be recognized one day for their role in making the world a better place. The people who have earned this award deserve to be commended...in no way should their achievements be undermined.

Exactly mama! Thanks for straigtening things out.

PMBG83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strydor
I think its a step in the right direction, what a difference it is for the american president to be recognized for good contributions to the world. We need all the help we can get to change the reputation that Bush left us with. Congrats Obama.

Thank You Again!

BEA2LS

he really hasn't, i do not see much change yet at all to be honest.. everyone says give him time but it's been a year.
i was hoping for good things, too..
ssad.gif

hello_my_apple

the Health Care Bill is soon to pass, he's about to accomplish in less than one year of his term what people have been trying to do for years. i think it speak volumes. noone can argue against him trying, we all know the President cant just change a law at the drop of a dime it takes time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEA2LS
he really hasn't, i do not see much change yet at all to be honest.. everyone says give him time but it's been a year.
i was hoping for good things, too..
ssad.gif

purrtykitty

Yes, but it's a healthcare bill that's being rushed to a vote and is probably chockful of crap that doesn't belong. Something that is so important shouldn't be put on such a hurried timeline. I understand why he's doing it, and I don't agree with the methods...but that is a discussion for another thread. We won't know whether the healthcare bill is truly a good thing or not for a few years...assuming one passes, of course.

Besides, the Nobel Peace Prize wasn't given to him because he's pushing healthcare reform in the US. It's for promoting hope and change worldwide...and on that front much remains to be seen.

hello_my_apple

you and i have already gone back and forth with the issue of the nobel pize award and our positions stay the the same which is fine, but she said he's done nothing in the past year so i just want to put it out there that it might get passed.

i have a question for you though ... you are one of the few who say he's done nothing .. but when he makes steps towards getting something done .. you say he's rushing? i dont get it .. the health care system in America suxs PERIOD. I'm pretty sure whatever is being put in place now cant be worse than what is now - even you could admit that yourself when you really think about it. and remember try not to be so pessimistic about Obama he's still your President if he fails you fail - so do i. we want him to do good!
yes.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrtykitty
Yes, but it's a healthcare bill that's being rushed to a vote and is probably chockful of crap that doesn't belong. Something that is so important shouldn't be put on such a hurried timeline. I understand why he's doing it, and I don't agree with the methods...but that is a discussion for another thread. We won't know whether the healthcare bill is truly a good thing or not for a few years...assuming one passes, of course.

Besides, the Nobel Peace Prize wasn't given to him because he's pushing healthcare reform in the US. It's for promoting hope and change worldwide...and on that front much remains to be seen.

BEA2LS

I do want him to a good job, I was very excited and hopeful when he got elected. I would love to see a better healthcare system, but I like I said I have not seen anything changed yet.. a year is a long time, and I still see many people suffering
ssad.gif

PMBG83

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello_my_apple
you and i have already gone back and forth with the issue of the nobel pize award and our positions stay the the same which is fine, but she said he's done nothing in the past year so i just want to put it out there that it might get passed.

i have a question for you though ... you are one of the few who say he's done nothing .. but when he makes steps towards getting something done .. you say he's rushing? i dont get it .. the health care system in America suxs PERIOD. I'm pretty sure whatever is being put in place now cant be worse than what is now - even you could admit that yourself when you really think about it. and remember try not to be so pessimistic about Obama he's still your President if he fails you fail - so do i. we want him to do good!
yes.gif

Yeah its gonna take something to come back from what that last idiot left the country as. No magic wand here folks.

purrtykitty

Quote:

yes.gif

And I was simply pointing out that changing America's crappy healthcare system is not Nobel-worthy. The Nobel Prize is given to someone who has done something on a worldwide platform...peace, hunger, etc... And with regards to that, Obama hasn't done much of anything deserving of the award.

I don't disagree that he's made progress toward getting something done for healthcare. What I do disagree with is how fast everything is being pushed forward. I think that if Congress really wants to implement change, then time should be taken to do it correctly. I do think there is tons wrong with healthcare, but I'd hate to see a bill passed in such a hasty fashion, and then end up several years down the line with a problem as large as Medicare/Medicaid is now. A short-term fix isn't always the answer.

And for the record, no I do not want Obama to fail. I'm actually pleasantly surprised with how much more of a centrist he is compared to how he ran during his campaign.

PMBG83

Quote:
the Health Care Bill is soon to pass, he's about to accomplish in less than one year of his term what people have been trying to do for years. i think it speak volumes. noone can argue against him trying, we all know the President cant just change a law at the drop of a dime it takes time.

Thank You again! As you know I totally thinks he deserves every bit of it.
thmbup.gif

Latest posts