Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize

Shadowy Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello_my_apple
in today's age i will take the promise of peace. i think noone can argue that Obama started to bridge the gaps between nations BEFORE he even became president elect. He has this gift where he can speak to people and make them see there is and can be a better way. i dont think something that great men have achived like Martin Luther King Jr. or Desmond Tutu is a joke. you have to understand that these things that Obama has layed out takes time, people expected a miracle from him but he's been in office NINE MONTHS give him a break. i trust him. It's so strange how people from other nations see the greatness of this President but some of our own americans can't. i congratulate him and wish him the best WELL DESERVED MR. PRESIDENT.

I don't think you read what I said at all :/ I said the Peace Prize has become a joke not that it was a joke at the time of MLK Jr. Exactly for the reason that ppl would expect miracles from Obama, I disagree with the award. I'm not ante Obama. I have great respect for him and for what he has done. From closing the Guatenamo Bay to increasing funding for science in your country. I think he's the best president you've had (in my lifetime). But I don't think he's still done enough for the award. He could prob get it next time when his efforts have been fruitful, but not before.

We'll have to agree to disagree I guess. At least they didn't give the award to Stephen Harper (our prime minister), I think then I woulda just thrown a fit, lol!

TISH1124

People were outraged that he wanted to end the War...People are outraged if he continues the fight that Began BEFORE he took office...IMO he is in a damned if he does, damned if he don't situation....

But, still Congrats!! People in this day and time are often rewarded for just doing their job in so many other fields...

Do I think it was a bit early...probably...But it is what it is...and Congrats so be it...Not like he campaigned for it

hello_my_apple

im sorry maybe you didnt read the coverage on why he was GIVEN the peace prize. i was speaking on that and for your knowledge MLK was into politics. segragation was ALL politics aside from other important matters. Desmond Tutu was into the politics of Apartheid thats why he RECIEVED his peace prize. I was suprised that he recieved it at first but i as watched and listened to why they picked him i understood. Okay so he inherited a war we all know and have heard that song and dance yadayadayada.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShugAvery2001
Can't compare most politicians to MLK or Desmond Tutu.... Baracks done a pretty good job as far as reaching out to other nations as well as being a great example in america on how we can resolve our differences (i.e. Beer Smmit) but .. he's engaged in 2 wars.. that he didn't start okay i'll give you that, but 2 wars that are in the process of being escalated. I mean there's alot .. there was an international investigation into last years Israeli assault on Gaza.. and the Obama administration basically blew it off.. like okay so many died but .. no need to investigate and the casualities of our wars.. I mean we're talking about a PEACE PRIZE here. Prizes are usually given after tangible successes. I think people are just a little perplexed about the timing.

WAR and Peace are total opposites

BEA2LS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TISH1124
People were outraged that he wanted to end the War...People are outraged if he continues the fight that Began BEFORE he took office...IMO he is in a damned if he does, damned if he don't situation....

But, still Congrats!! People in this day and time are often rewarded for just doing their job in so many other fields...

Do I think it was a bit early...probably...But it is what it is...and Congrats so be it...Not like he campaigned for it

i do agree with you there.. he didn't ask for this award, and he handled it so honorably.

hello_my_apple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowy Lady
I don't think you read what I said at all :/ I said the Peace Prize has become a joke not that it was a joke at the time of MLK Jr. Exactly for the reason that ppl would expect miracles from Obama, I disagree with the award. I'm not ante Obama. I have great respect for him and for what he has done. From closing the Guatenamo Bay to increasing funding for science in your country. I think he's the best president you've had (in my lifetime). But I don't think he's still done enough for the award. He could prob get it next time when his efforts have been fruitful, but not before.

We'll have to agree to disagree I guess. At least they didn't give the award to Stephen Harper (our prime minister), I think then I woulda just thrown a fit, lol!

I just want to know how come everytime someone disagrees with what someone says from this site they always "assume" the person didnt read. isnt that the whole purpose of replying and quoting? it's because you "read" what the person wrote? i dunno maybe its just me. AGAIN like i said like i said before i was shocked at first and surprised but when i heard the reason why he was given the award i understood. he's got the award he DESERVED it. IMO

ShugAvery2001

Quote:
im sorry maybe you didnt read the coverage on why he was GIVEN the peace prize. i was speaking on that and for your knowledge MLK was into politics. segragation was ALL politics aside from other important matters. Desmond Tutu was into the politics of Apartheid thats why he RECIEVED his peace prize. I was suprised that he recieved it at first but i as watched and listened to why they picked him i understood. Okay so he inherited a war we all know and have heard that song and dance yadayadayada.

So you think it's reasonable to be at war.. CURRENTLY engaged and in a war and still win a Nobel Peace Prize? That doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

And just for the record The Reverend MLK was a preacher and an activist not a politician, same with tutu. Of course, like all activist who are fighting for reform you have to deal with politicians to get laws changed.

Nobody's trying to bash Obama but I think it's only sensible to question because WAR is not a yadda yadda thing. It's not irrelevant. People, women and children are dying and are going to continue to die in the worst way immaginable in the name of U.S. interest and that doesn't make Obama evil, I'd just think that you couldn't give a peace award to those making war.

here's the list of past winners

Prize Laureates | Nobels fredspris

Just consider that's all i'm saying.. I'm done on this though. not a hot button issue for me

Shadowy Lady

Quote:
I just want to know how come everytime someone disagrees with what someone says from this site they always "assume" the person didnt read. isnt that the whole purpose of replying and quoting? it's because you "read" what the person wrote? i dunno maybe its just me. AGAIN like i said like i said before i was shocked at first and surprised but when i heard the reason why he was given the award i understood. he's got the award he DESERVED it. IMO

hmmm...your first two sentences are very vague. I said I think you didn't read my reply since I said that the noble peace price has become a joke. You proceeded in accusing me of saying that MLK Jr was a joke
th_confused_new.gif

Nepenthe

I don't know precisely what the criteria are exactly, so I can't really speak on it. My first reaction was surprise but it made me smile, until I watched his acceptance speech. It wasn't bad, but for some reason it didn't sit right.. which is odd, because I quite enjoy his oratory skills.

I'm just concerned that the extraordinary bar that has been set for him has just been raised. There are a lot of people in the world who like him, but inspiration needs to garner results at some point.. or it's nothing but words.

*Stargazer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissChievous
I agree what someone said about that man who is fighting against Mugabe - Morgan Tsvangirai, the PM and leader of the opposition movement against Mugabe. That man must have some huge balls!

Morgan Tsvangirai - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Much more courageous and deserving, imo.

About a million times more deserving at this point. This award makes little to no sense, but then they gave one to Al Gore as well, so who knows.

I'm still scratching my head as to how, after 12 days in office, someone nominated Obama. Huh?

L1LMAMAJ

according to NBC news, "Obama was nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize less than two weeks after taking office earlier this year." that is too crazy fast.

hello_my_apple

Dont even try that. i never said war was irrelevant but the truth is we are ALWAYS at war and thats just the way it is. Obama can try to put an end to these two wars which he inherited, but there will always still be war! King won his nobel peace prize in the midst of Jim Crow. was he non deserving of it? whatever we can go back and forth with this my opinion is not going to be broken it's obviously yours isnt either. so thats that.

Quote:
So you think it's reasonable to be at war.. CURRENTLY engaged and in a war and still win a Nobel Peace Prize? That doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

And just for the record The Reverend MLK was a preacher and an activist not a politician, same with tutu. Of course, like all activist who are fighting for reform you have to deal with politicians to get laws changed.

Nobody's trying to bash Obama but I think it's only sensible to question because WAR is not a yadda yadda thing. It's not irrelevant. People, women and children are dying and are going to continue to die in the worst way immaginable in the name of U.S. interest and that doesn't make Obama evil, I'd just think that you couldn't give a peace award to those making war.

here's the list of past winners

Prize Laureates | Nobels fredspris

Just consider that's all i'm saying.. I'm done on this though. not a hot button issue for me

hello_my_apple

okay i was talking about you. clear enough? and dont twist my words i never said you thought MLK was a joke i was speaking of the actual award. looks like you didnt read my reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowy Lady
hmmm...your first two sentences are very vague. I said I think you didn't read my reply since I said that the noble peace price has become a joke. You proceeded in accusing me of saying that MLK Jr was a joke
th_confused_new.gif

purrtykitty

Quote:

I'm interested to know exactly what Obama has done such that he deserves the award more than so many others, including Tsvangirai, who has been mentioned here several times. He was nominated less than two weeks into his presidency, which is nowhere near enough time to have done anything so monumental that would merit receiving the Nobel. Even presupposing Obama will be the greatest president of all time and will do much for the U.S. and the world, it still seems quite odd to pre-award him for such accomplishments. For all we know, the shit could hit the fan tomorrow and Obama completes nothing he hopes to. Then what?

It seems to me, this sort of award should be reserved for those who have actually done something.

Shadowy Lady

Quote:

agree with everything, honestly I think you're one of my fave posters in Deep Thought section
smiles.gif
and this:

Quote:
okay i was talking about you. clear enough? and dont twist my words i never said you thought MLK was a joke i was speaking of the actual award. looks like you didnt read my reply.

makes me think I'm gonna leave this thread too...I don't care much for the tone

hello_my_apple

like i said 4 times before i think it is now, i was surprised when i heard he got the award, when i heard WHY he recieved the award i agreed. period. i didnt give him the award IMO i think he deserves it based on the REASON WHY HE WAS GIVEN THE AWARD. i'm not Norway so i had nothing to do with this. but what i am entitled to feel the way i do regardless if i'm the minority here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrtykitty
I'm interested to know exactly what Obama has done such that he deserves the award more than so many others, including Tsvangirai, who has been mentioned here several times. He was nominated less than two weeks into his presidency, which is nowhere near enough time to have done anything so monumental that would merit receiving the Nobel. Even presupposing Obama will be the greatest president of all time and will do much for the U.S. and the world, it still seems quite odd to pre-award him for such accomplishments. For all we know, the shit could hit the fan tomorrow and Obama completes nothing he hopes to. Then what?

It seems to me, this sort of award should be reserved for those who have actually done something.

TISH1124

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrtykitty

Thats a good question to ask those who nominated and gave him the award...Agreed....that just doesn't happen to be anyone on this board I doubt...But if some of the nominators are Specktra members I would hope they would please clear this up for most,,,Because they are the only ones who can answer that exactly

purrtykitty

You're right, Tish...only those who nominated and voted can really tell us why. I was simply wondering about the reasoning for those here who staunchly believe that Obama "deserves" this award. Surely it is simply not for the fact that Obama deserves it because he's Obama.

TISH1124

^^ Wish I could help...can't honestly say I think he does or doesn't deserve it...I can only say It's a Great Prize to be honored with and Congrats to him for receiving it. But I am sure there are others who may have opinions why they think he deserves it...

reem2790

before i say anything, i'll make it clear i was apart of the 2008 campaign that brought our president into office and damn proud. he is a hero to me and has done more in his pre presidency then bush has in his whole life.

that being said, this is a joke. whatever reason may be he got it, even he was like "wtf?" because he hasn't done it yet-that's not to say he won't-i have 100% faith in THIS president. but i also know he's one man. and for one man....he's doing a heck of a job. but this award should have gone to someone more deserving. and obama himself knows it.